ADVERTISEMENT

2020 season

CC Mac

All-Big Ten
Aug 19, 2002
Been reading quite a bit about playing the coming season next March,April and May with the bowl games in June.
If that did happen that puts the 2021 seasons in limbo.
You can’t finish bowl games in June and start the next season in September.
Not sure what the solution is but in that scenario you lose a season so you might well forget this season and start over on time in 2021.
One option might be playing an abbreviated season in the spring to have more time before the 2021 season.

Reactions: red hornet
Been reading quite a bit about playing the coming season next March,April and May with the bowl games in June.
Not sure what the solution is but in that scenario you lose a season so you might well forget this season and start over on time in 2021.
One option might be playing an abbreviated season in the spring to have more time before the 2021 season.

$$$

Most every school's athletic budget would be destroyed if you take away the football season.

I agree,just don’t see any way they play in September.
There are gonna be some tough decisions made in the next month to six weeks.

Reactions: red hornet
I just can't see spring semester football as practical. Start too early (like February) and the games are unplayable in the northern latitudes. Start too late (like late March) and you're putting too much stress on the kids' bodies getting ready for 2021. To say nothing of the fact that if I'm a top athlete at, say Clemson, I'm not risking my NFL career by playing until June and getting ready to start camp for my first NFL season a few weeks later.

Playing in the spring would still come with major fan attendance restrictions, so it'd be a "just for TV" situation, unless there is some major breakthrough in developing a treatment or God-willing a vaccine. And also without a vaccine, no matter when they allow the kids to play, the teams are going to be in isolation from the general student body and taking classes via video to prevent outbreaks.

All of these ideas/predictions could be wrong. But I just don't think the schools can afford NOT to play from a purely financial perspective. And the hill I've chosen to die on is that if the teams are going to be isolated no matter what, then isolate them in the fall and try and play. If my assumption about isolation is wrong, then my whole theory is shot, but it's the only way I'm seeing things at the moment.

That wouldn't work, imo. If we can't play by fall, then I think you just scrap the season. I know they don't want to do that, I don't either, but there would be too many issues resulting from playing next spring. Wouldn't work.

Last edited:
They will play the 2020 season at some point and they will also play the 2021 season at some point. Idk the exact parameters and dates, but it's going to happen for a multitude of reasons.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT