ADVERTISEMENT

2020 OL/DL recruits

Hoosiersfan2018

Redshirt
Dec 1, 2018
Anyone hearing any rumblings about some of those OL/DL kids taking a hard look at Indiana? It all starts in the trenches. So I'm hoping we can get some big fellas and big talent there.

Reactions: vesuvius13
While I appreciate the hope for talent we will probably have to continue development. For some reason the big hosses 4 to 5 stars always go automatically to the big schools. BUT guys like Wes Martin the OX a rivals 2 star coming out of high school. He's a f*cking developed beast.

This is what Ballou posted today and this is saying ALOT after he coached THE top line in football 2 years ago at ND.

While I appreciate the hope for talent we will probably have to continue development. For some reason the big hosses 4 to 5 stars always go automatically to the big schools. BUT guys like Wes Martin the OX a rivals 2 star coming out of high school. He's a f*cking developed beast.

This is what Ballou posted today and this is saying ALOT after he coached THE top line in football 2 years ago at ND.

I do agree with the notion that we will have to develop at this point. At the same time do we believe that Hiller is the guy to do that? As CTA says coaches look a hell of a lot smarter with great athletes and talent. It would be amazing to get a 4/5 star OL/DL in here in this next class. A 5 star isn't as likely of course but a 4* is very attainable with how this coaching staff recruits.

Last edited:
Loved Wes Martin and hope Ballou is right, but how then he he not get a combine invite?

I think OL crew we have had potential to develop this year and beyond. Like our DBs actually have the speed & athletic ability to be B10 level I think with anyone, seems like size wise we now have OL potential to compete at hat level too.

Difference now is a consistent 6’4 and above and 300lb and above. In past may have had 2-3 starters like that, but not the depth and s’more of the 6’2 - 6’3, 290 types. Give Ballou 2 more years with this crew and can control more line play.

BTW, with this incoming FR DL class, think lays a foundation for that as well for the DL future. 3-4 legit size big boys coming in. Imagine if get Carmel kid. And FYI, believe Samson James has a little brother at Avon who think is a nose tackle who I believe is D-1 talent, but not sure if B10 level or not. If he is, could see IU in mix for sure.

I do agree with the notion that we will have to develop at this point. At the same time do we belle that Hiller is the guy to do that? As CTA says coaches look a hell of a lot smarter with great athletes and talent. It would be amazing to get a 4/5 star OL/DL in here in this next class. A 5 star isn't as likely of course but a 4* is very attainable with how this coaching staff recruits.
I think it will come. BUT it depends on how the offense rolls. Its not out of the question. There are alot of tough OL in the MIC. Getting some of these Indiana kids will depend on how the offense goes. We need to start looking in our own backyard. jmho

I think it will come. BUT it depends on how the offense rolls. Its not out of the question. There are alot of tough OL in the MIC. Getting some of these Indiana kids will depend on how the offense goes. We need to start looking in our own backyard. jmho
There was that OL from Cathedral last year or two years ago that ended up going to Michigan I believe. We need to get pipelines within the MIC schools and Cathedral absolutely! We can't keep letting the big boys pick off our best products.

Not a lot IU can do to keep the traditional powers away.........except win.
To a certain point sure. If we start the process early and appeal to the person that they are then we have a great chance. Look at Sampson for example or Mullen. We started the process pretty early on them and worked our butts off to get them. Now winning helps expedite that process. But it doesn't mean we still cant get those type of recruits. It's been proven this staff knows how to recruit really well. The winning will help for sure.

This staff works hard on building relationships and it takes time to bring those players. 2019 class IU competed with top schools in the country for OL men but just missed out on many. It shows IU is the hunt and in the future could bring in 4 star or better players. Give this staff time to recruit and IU could be moving up in the B1G down the road.

This staff works hard on building relationships and it takes time to bring those players. 2019 class IU competed with top schools in the country for OL men but just missed out on many. It shows IU is the hunt and in the future could bring in 4 star or better players. Give this staff time to recruit and IU could be moving up in the B1G down the road.
I absolutely agree! As of right now it will be us developing the linemen that we already have. I do however see a future where we will have 6'4+, 300+ linemen for the OL and some great size for the DL within the 6'3/6'4 285/295ish range. I see a lot of potential in the recruiting field with CTA. He has brought in a mentality and feeling for this program that has been long over due. Just like any other program that is in our shoes it takes some time to build that solid foundation. I believe we are well on that path finally.

Loved Wes Martin and hope Ballou is right, but how then he he not get a combine invite?

I think OL crew we have had potential to develop this year and beyond. Like our DBs actually have the speed & athletic ability to be B10 level I think with anyone, seems like size wise we now have OL potential to compete at hat level too.

Difference now is a consistent 6’4 and above and 300lb and above. In past may have had 2-3 starters like that, but not the depth and s’more of the 6’2 - 6’3, 290 types. Give Ballou 2 more years with this crew and can control more line play.

BTW, with this incoming FR DL class, think lays a foundation for that as well for the DL future. 3-4 legit size big boys coming in. Imagine if get Carmel kid. And FYI, believe Samson James has a little brother at Avon who think is a nose tackle who I believe is D-1 talent, but not sure if B10 level or not. If he is, could see IU in mix for sure.
I don't know why he didn't get an invite. It's odd but not really considering all the guys out there. But when you put up numbers like the video shows I'm sure he will get some looks. He plays guard so I imagine he will be considered once that vid hits the twitterdome. Like Ballou said he could have a long NFL career. He needs to get to a camp and prove himself. At his position how many DL are gonna push him around if he is putting up 42 reps after a workout. Just think if he was fresh? He may have hit 50 plus?

I don't know why he didn't get an invite. It's odd but not really considering all the guys out there. But when you put up numbers like the video shows I'm sure he will get some looks. He plays guard so I imagine he will be considered once that vid hits the twitterdome. Like Ballou said he could have a long NFL career. He needs to get to a camp and prove himself. At his position how many DL are gonna push him around if he is putting up 42 reps after a workout. Just think if he was fresh? He may have hit 50 plus?
IU's pro day in last few years has had 20+ NFL teams there so imagine this year will too and if he has big numbers, at the absolute worst, he'll have teams jockying for an undrafted contract opportunity, to which he can pick from among teams he feels would be best for him. TBD

Anyone hearing any rumblings about some of those OL/DL kids taking a hard look at Indiana? It all starts in the trenches. So I'm hoping we can get some big fellas and big talent there.

We’ve got 57 offers out there for OL. I think 4 of those are from the state of Indiana.

31 offers for D-linemen with 3 from Indiana.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT