ADVERTISEMENT

2020 is gonna be a good year.

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012
Yes I just typed that. Maybe the first time that has been wrote out in the last 2 months, but I am getting excited for this IU squad.

Smith will be addition by subtraction. His talent did not outweigh his attitude/passion. That is important, I think a little bit more so at IU. We need guys that just love basketball. Jerome, TJD, Lander, they all love basketball. They all will also play in the NBA. Brunk, Al, and Race love basketball too I would say, they are also gonna give you everything they have. They wont be NBA players, but they are gonna put it all out there. Rob and Franklin could very well be in that same boat as the second tier group, and I might even put Franklin in it now, but wont be overly optimistic.

We don't need our Freshmen other than Lander to contribute at all. Those 8 should be able to be a top 15 team. If the other 3 give 10-15 mins a game combine that is perfectly fine. Anything more than that and one of them was really ready for college bball.

Top 15 team, top 5 seed. Bank on it, you know, if we have a season....

If we actually have a season (let's hope) this will be the deepest/most talented we've been under Archie.

After his first 20 win season it's time to take the next step and compete for a sweet 16 birth. There should be enough talent and experience to make it happen.

Yes I just typed that. Maybe the first time that has been wrote out in the last 2 months, but I am getting excited for this IU squad.

Smith will be addition by subtraction. His talent did not outweigh his attitude/passion. That is important, I think a little bit more so at IU. We need guys that just love basketball. Jerome, TJD, Lander, they all love basketball. They all will also play in the NBA. Brunk, Al, and Race love basketball too I would say, they are also gonna give you everything they have. They wont be NBA players, but they are gonna put it all out there. Rob and Franklin could very well be in that same boat as the second tier group, and I might even put Franklin in it now, but wont be overly optimistic.

We don't need our Freshmen other than Lander to contribute at all. Those 8 should be able to be a top 15 team. If the other 3 give 10-15 mins a game combine that is perfectly fine. Anything more than that and one of them was really ready for college bball.

Before smith left i thought top twenty. Now I dont know. I really think we need to try and get a 5th year big. If not we cannot afford any injuries up front at all.

Reactions: jimmygoiu and kkott
I wish I knew more about the “attitude” issue of Smith. He seemed to play a lot of minutes for a guy with an attitude issue.

Reactions: fpeaugh

Key will be if we can knock down jump shots this season. If we can I agree it will be a great season.

I wish I knew more about the “attitude” issue of Smith. He seemed to play a lot of minutes for a guy with an attitude issue.

I’m not sure if it was a bad attitude, I would say it was a lackadaisical attitude at times. He would sometimes jog up the court when hustle would have made the difference. He forced things when it wasn’t needed. He pouted if something didn’t go his way. I just feel that everyone we currently have WANTS to be here and wants to be part of a great team. Justin I felt wanted to make sure he got his and if the team benefited that’s ok but not a priority like the other players feel.

Didn't he blow up at another player as they were on the bench? From my memory it seemed that a player told him he should have dunked the ball and Justin said #$#%^$#$ to the guy.
That was out on the floor - Justin took it to the basket and got his shot blocked. Trayce told him "Dunk it" - a smart play given Smith's leaping ability.

Justin replied "F@ck you!".

And let's not forget Smith going back to the bench after being taken out and blowing by Archie - while Miller was trying to provide instruction to him.

As great of an athlete as Justin was, his lack of focus, motor and coachability will not be missed. After reading Edward Smith's tweets during Justin's sophomore year we understand where most of the attitude issues originate but, ultimately, the player themselves either needs to be all in or get out.

Justin chose the latter - and he and IU both will be better in the long run for it.

That was out on the floor - Justin took it to the basket and got his shot blocked. Trayce told him "Dunk it" - a smart play given Smith's leaping ability.

Justin replied "F@ck you!".

And let's not forget Smith going back to the bench after being taken out and blowing by Archie - while Miller was trying to provide instruction to him.

As great of an athlete as Justin was, his lack of focus, motor and coachability will not be missed. After reading Edward Smith's tweets during Justin's sophomore year we understand where most of the attitude issues originate but, ultimately, the player themselves either needs to be all in or get out.

Justin chose the latter - and he and IU both will be better in the long run for it.
What were the Edward Smith tweets?

Can't pull them up now - he caught tons of hell from IU fans and protected his account. Complained about the packline and how only Juwan and Romeo were getting to shoot the ball.

I mean, he might have had a point about those two being allowed to shoot....

More optimistic than me. Imo we hover around the top 25 all year. Maybe crack top 20, but then lose a road game and back down to high 20s or out. I expect 5-7 in conf and 6-8 seed in tourney. Hope you’re right

Reactions: Cavanagh
Classic offseason post. Next year is always going to be great until it starts.
Schleprock-Flintstones-I-wont-try-to-be-a-pessimist-...-meme.jpg

Reactions: minneman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT