ADVERTISEMENT

2018 OL Recruiting

Superstar84b

Freshman
Sep 1, 2017
Recent discussions about The struggling Oline got me thinking about recruiting. I noticed that we only have two OL recruits in the 18 class so far, and it got me thinking about possible in state solutions. There are a few local prospects that the staff should really take a look at, and it’d be interesting for some fans to get to know these guys, because they could potentially be targets.

1. Jaylen Turner, Center, Arsenal Tech, 6’5” 293- I like Turner a lot, and he can be the future replacement for LittleJohn. I think that LittleJohn has really struggled at Center obviously, and a move to guard might be in his future. Not saying Turner comes in right away and starts, but he’s got plenty of potential. When you watch him on film he adds power, quickness, and comes from a run blocking scheme. At 6’5”, he also brings enough versatility to play on the edge, but he plays with enough flexibility to be a Center or a Guard. He’s also a track athlete, so if you look at a picture of him, he actually looks lean at 293. He could actually bulk up to 305-310 next season, because he has a frame that can add additional weight. we did offer him actually, and he chose ball state, so hopefully the coaches stay on him. We do not need to lose recruits to ball state. Here’s a link to his rivals profile which has links to his hudle page: https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/jaylen-turner-182131

2. Ty McCaskill, Tackle, Penn, 6’5” 300
- He’s a guy who you wouldn’t think would move well, but he actually has some decent movement skills in pass protection. Looks smooth on run plays and can get to the second level. Obviously has the size to be an impact player, but what is even more impressive is that he’s flexible as well. Just like Turner, his combination of length and flexibility means that he can play inside or outside, but I actually like him more so at guard to start out his career. I think that he may be a step slow at tackle, but he could really help us at guard. He comes from another run heavy offense, and he can really help our rushing attack down the line. He reminds me of a Jacob Bailey, but with better size coming out of high school. He’s got some huddle film, but here’s a link to some pass pro at a big man camp:

As you can see, he can get leverage, has pretty good feet, and his huddle game film confirms that for me. His only offer is Illinois state, and I think that he’s an under the radar guy who can help us.

3. Luke Martin, Fishers, Guard, 6’4” 300
-This guy reminds me of Dan Feeney on tape. He’s got good mobility, he can pull, he has aggression. I liked that he fights to get reach blocks on outside stretch plays, and has the versatility to pull on power plays. He doesn’t just rely on pure strength, but actually has an understanding of the scheme on many of the plays. The combination of his size, aggression and IQ are what reminds me of a Feeney, and he’s another under the radar guy. He is another guy with good leverage and lower body explosiveness. At 6’4” he can play tackle in case of emergency, but I like him at guard at that size. He is committed to ball state as well, but has a Cincinnati offer. Here’s a link to his huddle tape: http://www.hudl.com/profile/3943232/luke-martin

In closing, I know that it is unpopular to recruit these caliber of players. One is a three star, and two are unranked. They’re also all in state kids. But the tape tells me another story than their rankings, and they bring a toughness and athletic ability that can help the team at its weakest position. We also can’t lose legitimate talent like Jaylen Turner to Ball State. That is embarrassing in recruiting. A long time ago it was unpopular when we took Justin Frye out of Elwood when he was only a two star and Ball State commit, but that turned out well. I think that the state gets a bad rap, and yes, Indiana might not be where you want to recruit skill position guys, but I think that there are some under the radar lineman in this state, with the size and ability to play in the Big Ten. These aren’t running backs, but big corn fed boys that you need in the Big Ten. When you combine that with their flexibility and solid pass blocking, I think that they can be diamonds in the rough that the staff should consider, and people will have to look past their ratings.

Recent discussions about The struggling Oline got me thinking about recruiting. I noticed that we only have two OL recruits in the 18 class so far, and it got me thinking about possible in state solutions. There are a few local prospects that the staff should really take a look at, and it’d be interesting for some fans to get to know these guys, because they could potentially be targets.

1. Jaylen Turner, Center, Arsenal Tech, 6’5” 293- I like Turner a lot, and he can be the future replacement for LittleJohn. I think that LittleJohn has really struggled at Center obviously, and a move to guard might be in his future. Not saying Turner comes in right away and starts, but he’s got plenty of potential. When you watch him on film he adds power, quickness, and comes from a run blocking scheme. At 6’5”, he also brings enough versatility to play on the edge, but he plays with enough flexibility to be a Center or a Guard. He’s also a track athlete, so if you look at a picture of him, he actually looks lean at 293. He could actually bulk up to 305-310 next season, because he has a frame that can add additional weight. we did offer him actually, and he chose ball state, so hopefully the coaches stay on him. We do not need to lose recruits to ball state. Here’s a link to his rivals profile which has links to his hudle page: https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/jaylen-turner-182131

- He’s a guy who you wouldn’t think would move well, but he actually has some decent movement skills in pass protection. Looks smooth on run plays and can get to the second level. Obviously has the size to be an impact player, but what is even more impressive is that he’s flexible as well. Just like Turner, his combination of length and flexibility means that he can play inside or outside, but I actually like him more so at guard to start out his career. I think that he may be a step slow at tackle, but he could really help us at guard. He comes from another run heavy offense, and he can really help our rushing attack down the line. He reminds me of a Jacob Bailey, but with better size coming out of high school. He’s got some huddle film, but here’s a link to some pass pro at a big man camp:

As you can see, he can get leverage, has pretty good feet, and his huddle game film confirms that for me. His only offer is Illinois state, and I think that he’s an under the radar guy who can help us.

-This guy reminds me of Dan Feeney on tape. He’s got good mobility, he can pull, he has aggression. I liked that he fights to get reach blocks on outside stretch plays, and has the versatility to pull on power plays. He doesn’t just rely on pure strength, but actually has an understanding of the scheme on many of the plays. The combination of his size, aggression and IQ are what reminds me of a Feeney, and he’s another under the radar guy. He is another guy with good leverage and lower body explosiveness. At 6’4” he can play tackle in case of emergency, but I like him at guard at that size. He is committed to ball state as well, but has a Cincinnati offer. Here’s a link to his huddle tape: http://www.hudl.com/profile/3943232/luke-martin

In closing, I know that it is unpopular to recruit these caliber of players. One is a three star, and two are unranked. They’re also all in state kids. But the tape tells me another story than their rankings, and they bring a toughness and athletic ability that can help the team at its weakest position. We also can’t lose legitimate talent like Jaylen Turner to Ball State. That is embarrassing in recruiting. A long time ago it was unpopular when we took Justin Frye out of Elwood when he was only a two star and Ball State commit, but that turned out well. I think that the state gets a bad rap, and yes, Indiana might not be where you want to recruit skill position guys, but I think that there are some under the radar lineman in this state, with the size and ability to play in the Big Ten. These aren’t running backs, but big corn fed boys that you need in the Big Ten. When you combine that with their flexibility and solid pass blocking, I think that they can be diamonds in the rough that the staff should consider, and people will have to look past their ratings.
Interesting information. Thanks.

We had a 5th year senior transfer who played at Miami(Fla) on campus for a visit last weekend, hoping we can lure him in. That is the immediate help we need. We don’t have high numbers in the 2018 class because most of our OL are young, this isn’t the NFL , so we cannot just cut people. Our existing players need to get bigger, faster, stronger and better.

Good information but all 3 are MAC level talents or kids that you offer at the last minute. Just because they are big doesn't mean they are suited for Big ten play either. Trust me. These 3 kids would not be very good Big Ten players. They are simply big guys that dominate HS talent because they are big, not because they have great technique, are athletic, or anything.

Appreciate your information and time you took to write the post, but IU isn't going to get any of these kids unless they walk on.

The fact that they are from the state of Indiana dooms them to being overlooked or downgraded by our recruiting staff. If either had been from Illinois Michigan or Ohio we might have been more interested.

Reactions: mk23
I hate to be a conspiracy nut, but there's something up in Wisconsin that doesn't smell right. They take 5.5 or 5.6 rated offensive linemen and just flat out dominate the line of scrimmage.

It's pretty easy to look at their results with raised eyebrows.

I hate to be a conspiracy nut, but there's something up in Wisconsin that doesn't smell right. They take 5.5 or 5.6 rated offensive linemen and just flat out dominate the line of scrimmage.

It's pretty easy to look at their results with raised eyebrows.
UW’s starting right tackle, David Edwards, happens to be the nephew of one of my best friends. He was a 6’7” 230lb QB in high school. (Downer’s Grove, IL, had an offer from us).

We had a 5th year senior transfer who played at Miami(Fla) on campus for a visit last weekend, hoping we can lure him in. That is the immediate help we need. We don’t have high numbers in the 2018 class because most of our OL are young, this isn’t the NFL , so we cannot just cut people. Our existing players need to get bigger, faster, stronger and better.

To get those 5th year guys we gotta prove we make them better and NFL guys.... a couple years ago yes .... now? I️ don’t know ... do people look better?

Reactions: Chriselli
To get those 5th year guys we gotta prove we make them better and NFL guys.... a couple years ago yes .... now? I️ don’t know ... do people look better?
Think school is still out on that don’t you ? Maturity has a way of making guys look better, plus I’m not sure 5th year guys are always about that, sometimes they actually have an interest in our graduate school programs.

Good information but all 3 are MAC level talents or kids that you offer at the last minute. Just because they are big doesn't mean they are suited for Big ten play either. Trust me. These 3 kids would not be very good Big Ten players. They are simply big guys that dominate HS talent because they are big, not because they have great technique, are athletic, or anything.

Appreciate your information and time you took to write the post, but IU isn't going to get any of these kids unless they walk on.
I agree that they’re under the radar. As others have posted, Iowa and Wisconsin gets in-state guys like this and builds them up. We don’t. And with their size, and our strength and development, this are exactly the low ranked guys that we can develop. Other schools that can’t compete with OSU do this in our own conference. I would 100% agree with you if they were skill players, but OL development is totally different than WR or RB development. Spriggs and Rahrig were in state and not highly recruited either, and both went on to be solid for us. These guys may be under the radar, and that’s where player development comes in IMHO

Reactions: UncleMark
What you really want to find are a couple of preferred walk-on 6'5" (5.1 40) type TE's each year who are coming in with the understanding that they'll be Redshirted and weight trained up to play somewhere on the OL. That way they'll have the Big Ten level size and strength along with the quicks they'll need to have at this level.

The fact that they are from the state of Indiana dooms them to being overlooked or downgraded by our recruiting staff. If either had been from Illinois Michigan or Ohio we might have been more interested.
What? All the guys that he mentioned have offer lists that are far less impressive than the two offensive line commits that we have, and most of our class in general. The states that you mentioned also typically have more talent. In addition, we have three commitments from Indiana, including hopefully our future quarterback in Reese Taylor. I have no idea what you’re talking about. Coach Allen literally assigned every coach on staff to his specific part of the state to keep in contact with coaches.

Is this board just completely making things up now? Between this and the “our defense is ranked 50-60” from yesterday (it’s around 30th), this is getting ridiculous.

We just put Spriggs and Feeney in the NFL, who were not rated high at all.

Reactions: 76-1
What? All the guys that he mentioned have offer lists that are far less impressive than the two offensive line commits that we have, and most of our class in general. The states that you mentioned also typically have more talent. In addition, we have three commitments from Indiana, including hopefully our future quarterback in Reese Taylor. I have no idea what you’re talking about. Coach Allen literally assigned every coach on staff to his specific part of the state to keep in contact with coaches.

Is this board just completely making things up now? Between this and the “our defense is ranked 50-60” from yesterday (it’s around 30th), this is getting ridiculous.
Is it any different than you making up assessments of IU's 2018 recruiting?

Just a couple folks being negative, appreciate all the info as I don't have the time to follow recruiting closely right now.

We just put Spriggs and Feeney in the NFL, who were not rated high at all.
Come on... we are talking about 5th year seniors for next year. “We” didn’t put Feeney and Spriggs in the NFL nor did IU. The guys that could take credit for that are no longer employed by the University. That is the only point I️ was trying to make. A 5th year guy this year would be considering that in my opinion.

Reactions: Chriselli
Come on... we are talking about 5th year seniors for next year. “We” didn’t put Feeney and Spriggs in the NFL nor did IU. The guys that could take credit for that are no longer employed by the University. That is the only point I️ was trying to make. A 5th year guy this year would be considering that in my opinion.
Maybe, but this particular recruit wants a graduate degree in business, and I’m not sure how much you can “develop” a 5th year senior. Hiller has put people in the NFL btw.

What you really want to find are a couple of preferred walk-on 6'5" (5.1 40) type TE's each year who are coming in with the understanding that they'll be Redshirted and weight trained up to play somewhere on the OL. That way they'll have the Big Ten level size and strength along with the quicks they'll need to have at this level.

You mean like Jake Reed? He was a 6'5", 250 lbs. TE out of Columbus North, arrived on scholarship and ended up as a 6'3" 300 lbs. center/guard.

Going from 6'5" to 6'3 in four or five years . . . that's a lot of head-butting!

BTW, how is Shane Bonner working out at TE? Could he shift positions and make it as a center or guard?

Yep (in regard to Jake Reed).

There's always a couple of tall guys out there who have yet to really "fill out" as 17 or 18 year olds. You might find them as high school TE's or QBs or even basketball forwards or centers... If you hit on a 1 or 2 every three years that can break into the two deep you've struck gold...

Because I don’t particualrly focus on offer lists, but the specific athletes. I believe, just based on film, that Turner is flat out a better prospect coming out of high school than littlejohn was, and littlejohn had a more impressive offer list. Spriggs was an impressive player and only had 1 power five offer (us). Iowa and Wisconsin build their programs off of guys like that, and I don’t believe that those states have better overall high school football, certainly not Iowa. I totally agree that we have coaches assigned to the state, but I believe that we are prone to overlooking guys because of their offer list, while some guys in our league don’t pay attention to that. I think that the size, athleticism and ability on tape and how you can develop that is more important. Turner is a lean 296 right now, and a track athlete, and I think that he’s flat out better than one of our commits right now, and has a less impressive offer list. But we did offer him at least, but lost out to Ball State. Which also isn’t a good look.

Yep (in regard to Jake Reed).

There's always a couple of tall guys out there who have yet to really "fill out" as 17 or 18 year olds. You might find them as high school TE's or QBs or even basketball forwards or centers... If you hit on a 1 or 2 every three years that can break into the two deep you've struck gold...
I agree 100%. Reed ended up being a solid contributor. And I agree with the other poster that Bonner could be a Guard/Center candidate because he doesn’t appear to be in the mix at TE. Those guys do come in with good athleticism already and just have to fill out.

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT