ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Roster Up

Charlesroast

Freshman
Aug 4, 2013
http://iuhoosiers.com/mobile/roster.aspx?roster=375&path=baseball

I believe NCAA allows 35 and current listing @ 33.

Some "unexpected" new guys, a few missing. Pitchers Kade Kryzsko & Grant Sloan (had been mentioned and son of Brian grandson of Jerry came by way of Virginia) look interesting on paper, of course the game isn't played on paper. Another new guy Brandon Kelly pursuing the dream.

Some expected Jack Egan, Grant Negris not listed. Also Chandler Sedat who had a decent year in summer ball is NLWC.

Of the expected new guys Matt Lloyd and Cal Krueger look like possible infielders who also pitch. This year's pitching is a question mark at this time and we could end up using a lot of guys in short stints as Mississippi did a few years back and flexibility may come in handy.

Looking forward to the season.

It seems the mystery roster available in the OP has been updated. Connor Manous freshman from Munster by way of The "U" now occupies a slot. Suppose competetion for the last slot continues, & the official roster will be out by Thursday when they board the plane for Arizona.

Pretty sure the the NCAA has a 35 player roster max and pretty sure we have more than 35 baseball players on campus. I assume there is roster flexibility as we go through the season. Perhpas Coy Cronk will bring his big bat to the Bart later in the season.

https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=382475

Reactions: RBB89
It seems the mystery roster available in the OP has been updated. Connor Manous freshman from Munster by way of The "U" now occupies a slot. Suppose competetion for the last slot continues, & the official roster will be out by Thursday when they board the plane for Arizona.

Pretty sure the the NCAA has a 35 player roster max and pretty sure we have more than 35 baseball players on campus. I assume there is roster flexibility as we go through the season. Perhpas Coy Cronk will bring his big bat to the Bart later in the season.

https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=382475
33 is accurate. 35 is the roster max, but teams usually don't travel with all 35. Big Ten play the travel rosters are down to 27. I'm not sure where this notion of Cronk playing is coming from, he's a football player.

33 is accurate. 35 is the roster max, but teams usually don't travel with all 35. Big Ten play the travel rosters are down to 27. I'm not sure where this notion of Cronk playing is coming from, he's a football player.

If we are merely talking about the listing of players on the IU Baseball site that are currently going to be carried as an active roster, 33 seems correct. Manous, as a second semester transfer from Miami I don't think could be eligible this Spring. That does'nt mean he is not part of the program or that he and others who are part of the program can't be listed on the website. U of L shows 40 kids on their website. It could mean Coach doesn't want the website to show non-active players, and it could mean the website is poorly maintained, which it is.

Jack Eagan was the highest rated pitcher in this crop of freshmen to make it to campus. He participated in the Ohama Challenge last fall, and appears to be enrolled this semester, but was not included in the "website roster" I linked originally. I hope he is still part of the program.

With two apparent open slots compared to the NCAA max, I assume there will be room to add 2 players over the course of the season. Coy Cronk is a good athelete, was an Indiana Mr. Baseball finalist, and a good hitter. If he would be interested he would be a potential DH with power for one of the vacant slots after Spring Ball. All that would be needed for him to be available for home games would be someone to pitch extended BP for him, perhaps Manous, Eagan, Negris, or any of the "rostered" pitchers who won't travel this season, Hansen to catch, and a uniform, extra large. I have no personal knowledge of his interest, nor coach's, just saying there is little downside in the possibility of him being added to the roster. I don't think he would somehow upset the "balance" within the crazy baseball scholarship situation. I trust FSU found a way to deal with that so Jamis Winston was available for Sam Travis to go yard over the scoreboard on one of his offerings.

Anxious for the season to start.

If we are merely talking about the listing of players on the IU Baseball site that are currently going to be carried as an active roster, 33 seems correct. Manous, as a second semester transfer from Miami I don't think could be eligible this Spring. That does'nt mean he is not part of the program or that he and others who are part of the program can't be listed on the website. U of L shows 40 kids on their website. It could mean Coach doesn't want the website to show non-active players, and it could mean the website is poorly maintained, which it is.

Jack Eagan was the highest rated pitcher in this crop of freshmen to make it to campus. He participated in the Ohama Challenge last fall, and appears to be enrolled this semester, but was not included in the "website roster" I linked originally. I hope he is still part of the program.

With two apparent open slots compared to the NCAA max, I assume there will be room to add 2 players over the course of the season. Coy Cronk is a good athelete, was an Indiana Mr. Baseball finalist, and a good hitter. If he would be interested he would be a potential DH with power for one of the vacant slots after Spring Ball. All that would be needed for him to be available for home games would be someone to pitch extended BP for him, perhaps Manous, Eagan, Negris, or any of the "rostered" pitchers who won't travel this season, Hansen to catch, and a uniform, extra large. I have no personal knowledge of his interest, nor coach's, just saying there is little downside in the possibility of him being added to the roster. I don't think he would somehow upset the "balance" within the crazy baseball scholarship situation. I trust FSU found a way to deal with that so Jamis Winston was available for Sam Travis to go yard over the scoreboard on one of his offerings.

Anxious for the season to start.
Egan and Negris are no longer with the program. Sloan and Manous are not eligible till next year. Coy Cronk has not played baseball since HS at a 1A school, and is not in the future plans for IU baseball. At this point if anyone was added to the roster it would be a transfer/walk-on (which is very unlikely), as I said 33 is accurate.

Last edited:
Egan and Negris are no longer with the program. Sloan and Manous are not eligible till next year. Coy Cronk has not played baseball since HS at a 1A school, and is not in the future plans for IU baseball. At this point if anyone was added to the roster it would be a walk-on, as I said 33 is accurate.

Thanks for the clarifications. I have no insight in the program's plans nor do I deserve any. I threw out Coy Cronk as an option for a vacant spot. Apparently he is not, and that is fine.

College recruiting is a crap shoot in general, but baseball recruiting has to be the worst with fall LOI, spring ML draft that can take som of your top kids, splitting 11 scholarships over a roster, and the kids don't get on campus until 8-10 months after they sign the LOI. Wish the best for those who don't fit for whatever reason. Believe we picked up a couple good ones in Manous & Sloan.

PLAY BALL!

He transferred close to home, I believe to GW.
Thanks for the update. I looked it up and he is on the GW roster. Always sorry to lose a student athlete who came in with such promise, even though he didn't live up to early expectations.

I wonder why players like him, Dedelow, and Cangelosi all dropped 20-some points in BA from 2015 to 2016? Any reason to think they'll pull out of the offensive nosedive this season?

Reactions: Whiteboy1974
He transferred close to home, I believe to GW.
Thanks for the update. I looked it up and he is on the GW roster. Always sorry to lose a student athlete who came in with such promise, even though he didn't live up to early expectations.

I wonder why players like him, Dedelow, and Cangelosi all dropped 20-some points in BA from 2015 to 2016? Any reason to think they'll pull out of the offensive nosedive this season?

That's a combination of quite a few factors. Hitting 20 points lower is basically 1 or 2 extra base hits per week missed. It's splitting hairs IMO, but when you play a few years teams game plan around you and get to know your tendencies as a hitter (especially in conference). All the other players around you in the lineup matter, especially how teams want to game plan inning to inning. Some kids simply plateau as a player early, and if the adjustments aren't made at this level you'll be exposed.

Most of these kids were the guy on their HS teams and AAU, and aren't accustomed to not playing or facing adversity. Throw in the first time on your own, and college class work, competing for a position with other talented players, etc. can be very challenging for a young kid. It's easy to get discouraged fast as an 18 year old. We've all been there. Sometimes it's about how you handle what's between the ears.

Reactions: snowling
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT