ADVERTISEMENT

2013 College World Series

5 years ago today a special group took the field in front of the whole country on College Baseball’s biggest stage. #iubase
http://iubase.com/omaha-2013/

I was in Omaha for that game. Joey DeNato's 136-pitch, 4-hit shutout of Louisville remains the guttiest Hoosier performance I have ever witnessed.

Nostalgia got the best of me tonight, so I took a look at that roster. Some highlights:

- 1 current MLB regular (Schwarber)
- 4 current AAA players, including two who have appeared in the majors (Travis, Slegers, Halstead, DeNato)
- 2 current AA players (Kyle Hart, Scott Efforts)
- 1 current A player (Christian Morris)
- 2 kids who played a couple years of minor league ball after leaving IU (Dustin DeMuth, Luke Harrison)
- 1 kid who hit .358 that year and left IU as a career .334 hitter, but didn't get drafted (Scott Donley)
- 1 kid who started and pitched well as a freshman in Game two of the CWS, who inexplicably lost his stuff later in his IU career (Will Coursen-Carr).

That team was so much more than Schwarber and Travis. I haven't enjoyed watching an IU team in any sport more than I enjoyed watching this one, and for that I'll always be appreciative of what Tracy Smith accomplished at IU.

I was in Omaha for that game. Joey DeNato's 136-pitch, 4-hit shutout of Louisville remains the guttiest Hoosier performance I have ever witnessed.

Nostalgia got the best of me tonight, so I took a look at that roster. Some highlights:

- 1 current MLB regular (Schwarber)
- 4 current AAA players, including two who have appeared in the majors (Travis, Slegers, Halstead, DeNato)
- 2 current AA players (Kyle Hart, Scott Efforts)
- 1 current A player (Christian Morris)
- 2 kids who played a couple years of minor league ball after leaving IU (Dustin DeMuth, Luke Harrison)
- 1 kid who hit .358 that year and left IU as a career .334 hitter, but didn't get drafted (Scott Donley)
- 1 kid who started and pitched well as a freshman in Game two of the CWS, who inexplicably lost his stuff later in his IU career (Will Coursen-Carr).

That team was so much more than Schwarber and Travis. I haven't enjoyed watching an IU team in any sport more than I enjoyed watching this one, and for that I'll always be appreciative of what Tracy Smith accomplished at IU.

Thanks, that was a fun year and an outstanding performance by DeNato. Nobody throws 136 pitches anywhere any more, let alone in the biggest game in the team’s history.

Speaking of Denato.....I always keep track of former Hoosiers in the minors. I keep checking on him this year and he hasn't pitched much, between AA and AAA, and often times has not been on the roster of either team. I've been confused about it, and I just checked to today and it shows he was release on 5/29, by the AA team. I don't get this one at all. It sure seems like he was never given a true opportunity. He has a career ERA of 2.69 in the minors, 12-6 record and 204 K's in 221 innings. (No runs in 6 innings and 5 outing this year.) Add in his stellar college career -- I just don't get it. Sure seems like those numbers don't warrant a release. Anyone have any more info on him? Did he get hurt, or something?

Speaking of Denato.....I always keep track of former Hoosiers in the minors. I keep checking on him this year and he hasn't pitched much, between AA and AAA, and often times has not been on the roster of either team. I've been confused about it, and I just checked to today and it shows he was release on 5/29, by the AA team. I don't get this one at all. It sure seems like he was never given a true opportunity. He has a career ERA of 2.69 in the minors, 12-6 record and 204 K's in 221 innings. (No runs in 6 innings and 5 outing this year.) Add in his stellar college career -- I just don't get it. Sure seems like those numbers don't warrant a release. Anyone have any more info on him? Did he get hurt, or something?

It was just a straight release. No injury. I agree it was very confusing as he pitched in Spring Training for the Phillies this year to. Dustin DeMuth was also confusing since he had made the All Star team for his minor league team the year before.

Hart is pitching very well for Portland, the Double A team for Boston. He is third in the league with a 2.51 ERA and has allowed zero or one earned run in eight of his 11 starts. He is on the mound again tonight. Portland has a bad team, but his record is 5-3. Portland also has Josh Ockimey at first base. He was going to play for IU, until he was drafted in the fifth round and signed a pro contract.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT