ADVERTISEMENT

#2 IU ends road trip at E'ville

The Purple Aces were a real force in the 80s/early 90s when Fred Schmaltz was their coach. It was a real competitive rivalry with IU for a few years. Much like Aces basketball, they are pretty weak now.

The Purple Aces were a real force in the 80s/early 90s when Fred Schmaltz was their coach. It was a real competitive rivalry with IU for a few years. Much like Aces basketball, they are pretty weak now.
Was Schmaltz also the coach at Evansville Memorial HS while coaching the college team? I feel like he was somehow doing double duty. Memorial was also a powerhouse soccer team. I remember they were a thorn in the North Central side when it came to the tournament.

Reactions: snowling
Was Schmaltz also the coach at Evansville Memorial HS while coaching the college team? I feel like he was somehow doing double duty. Memorial was also a powerhouse soccer team. I remember they were a thorn in the North Central side when it came to the tournament.
He left (got fired) UE in 2002, so I bet he coached Memorial after that. I can't imagine how he would have done both at the same time, but I could be wrong. Funny the things you remember, but I attended an IU-UE match in 1990, in which the Aces won 1-0 to advance to the Final 4. The UE students had a banner that read "Not even Calbert could score on this defense."

He left (got fired) UE in 2002, so I bet he coached Memorial after that. I can't imagine how he would have done both at the same time, but I could be wrong. Funny the things you remember, but I attended an IU-UE match in 1990, in which the Aces won 1-0 to advance to the Final 4. The UE students had a banner that read "Not even Calbert could score on this defense."
I know seems like an impossible task. This was actually in the mid to late 80's when my brother was playing for NC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT