ADVERTISEMENT

2 deep

18 with at least one more year of eligibility in the 2-Deep on defense! 17 on offense!

With the improved facilities etc.., if the Hoosiers put together another solid recruiting class 2021 could be a very good year.

Last edited:
That is easily the biggest offensive line I've seen Indiana trot out in my 35 years of watching. I've never seen them trot out that kind of size at EVERY position on the line. Having tackles go 6-5/325 & 6-8/360, wow, that's what Wisconsin does to people.

Bring it on!!!

Last edited:
That is easily the biggest offensive line I've seen Indiana trot out in my 35 years of watching. I've never seen them trot out that kind of size at EVERY position on the line. Having tackles go 6-5/325 @ 6-8/360, wow, that's what Wisconsin does to people.

Bring it on!!!
OL average is 326...Jones gives that a good bump but otherwise we would still be large and in charge at 315-320. Even the 2nd string looks huge! Anxious to see if these guys are as strong as they are big. It wouldn't surprise me with Ballou the Bear!

Reese Taylor is the only player currently dealing with an injury
I thought Taylor's injury was minor, but he wasn't listed in the depth chart as a PR.

Cole Gest or Walker will need to be productive. Gest was supposed to be the starter last year so hopefully he is ready to play. Walker had enough good runs last year to show promise but was well behind Scott. The RB position is one area that I have some concerns about unless Scott can play every down.

I thought Taylor's injury was minor, but he wasn't listed in the depth chart as a PR.

Cole Gest or Walker will need to be productive. Gest was supposed to be the starter last year so hopefully he is ready to play. Walker had enough good runs last year to show promise but was well behind Scott. The RB position is one area that I have some concerns about unless Scott can play every down.
With Scott, Gest, Walker, James at RB what is your concern?

Gest is coming off an injury and Walker had some work to do to be a good option at #2. They may prove to be great, but we don't know how well they have looked or will play.

It's four deep. We will play four guys. Coaches love the RB's

What? We have a ton of depth at RB.

First thing I did this morning was try to see if they released the 2-deep, and found it right away. Things that stick out to me.....as everyone mentioned, the OL. Not just the size but the experience. 3 SR's (2 5th year guys) who we all know are pretty good, and then Crider and Jones in addition.....we should have a really good line. Excited about that. Like seeing true FR Ellis on there, as someone mentioned; surprised Sampson James is not, but I know we are deep at RB and I bet he will still get playing time. On D, I like that Juan Harris is listed as the starter. I think many of us are excited about what he can do, and glad he is the #1. I see Fitzgerald is listed ahead of Bryant, that was reversed most of last year. And like that Mullen is listed on the 2 deep....thought he would be.....but was kind of hoping he would be the starter. We are really deep at CB, though, but would like to have a stud come in overtake who we have. I know we will rotate those guys in and out a lot.

Nice to see freshman David Ellis in the 2 deep at both Wide Receiver and Kick Returner.

David Ellis could be the sleeper of this class. Some said he was really good but somehow under the radar. Hope he makes MSU & UM regret not offering him. And I hope he lights it up this year as a FR!

Reactions: ESalum86

You don't want your punt returner attempting to field balls with a bad hand...

I didn't see Walker as that far behind Scott. With a player like Gest, Walker, Sampson and company, I can't remember a more stacked backfield. If you are concerned this year than I can't fathom your concerns you've had.....well any other year we have fielded a team.

Reactions: Hoosier009
I didn't see Walker as that far behind Scott. With a player like Gest, Walker, Sampson and company, I can't remember a more stacked backfield. If you are concerned this year than I can't fathom your concerns you've had.....well any other year we have fielded a team.
Yeah, no kidding. My only concern with the RB's is that we will have very talented guys on the sidelines because of the even more talent that will be on the field.

I'm happy about Scott and knowing he is #1 in camp will allow him to be even more prepared for the season than last year. The rest are on paper capable but return with less than 200 yards rushing between them all. Walker rushed for 144 yards and will be our second leading RB coming into the year. I am looking forward to James and whatever improvement Gest and Walker have made. Ramsey and Reese Taylor were our #2 and #3 rushers last year. That won't be the case this year.

Someone will hopefully establish themselves early as #2. I can't predict who it will be.

Gest is coming off an injury and Walker had some work to do to be a good option at #2. They may prove to be great, but we don't know how well they have looked or will play.
From the coaches-Gest is probably the fastest runner, Walker is bigger and faster than last year
From Don Fischer-James reminds me a lot of Anthony Thompson

What? We have a ton of depth at RB.
Our depth played in 37 total plays last year and gained a total of 161 yards on the ground and caught one pass for 10 yards.

I'm not saying our depth isn't potentially good. It is unproven and inexperienced. Walker had a few good runs, but I wouldn't say he is my pick for the #2 spot.

David Ellis could be the sleeper of this class. Some said he was really good but somehow under the radar. Hope he makes MSU & UM regret not offering him. And I hope he lights it up this year as a FR!

He's my favorite freshman from this class just because I got to watch him quite a bit in high school and always thought he was better than who was offering him.

Michigan State actually offered him the day before signing day but his mind was made up to come to Indiana.

That is easily the biggest offensive line I've seen Indiana trot out in my 35 years of watching. I've never seen them trot out that kind of size at EVERY position on the line. Having tackles go 6-5/325 & 6-8/360, wow, that's what Wisconsin does to people.

Bring it on!!!

I think there's a big drop-off from 1st to 2nd string--biggest drop-off of any position, imo. Need to avoid injury there.

I think there's a big drop-off from 1st to 2nd string--biggest drop-off of any position, imo. Need to avoid injury there.
Not sure why you say that...Coy says Matthew Bedford is farther along than he was as a true and has already turned many of the coaches heads. Beery a soph was a touted 3 star DL converted and is huge. Nworah and Love have both played alot already. The only question mark is OConner? Other than that the rest should be good to go.

Our depth played in 37 total plays last year and gained a total of 161 yards on the ground and caught one pass for 10 yards.

I'm not saying our depth isn't potentially good. It is unproven and inexperienced. Walker had a few good runs, but I wouldn't say he is my pick for the #2 spot.
I know you are trying to sway the argument to fit your narrative, by adding up Walker's stats and Gest's 5 carries and 1 reception. You act like Gest getting hurt doesn't count at all in using his stats to back your point of view. He really doesn't count at all. And then add in the fact that James is probably the next guy on the depth cart, we are talking only 1 of our current 3 behind Stevie was a part of those stats you are using. And the one guy you are pretty much dismissing started the first game, so at that point, Scott was part of the backup depth you are referring to. And actually, I was just curious so I looked it up. Stevie wasn't even on the 2-deep going into the first game last year. It was Gest, Majette, Brookins.

Last edited:
Not sure why you say that...Coy says Matthew Bedford is farther along than he was as a true and has already turned many of the coaches heads. Beery a soph was a touted 3 star DL converted and is huge. Nworah and Love have both played alot already. The only question mark is OConner? Other than that the rest should be good to go.
No, he is right. There is a big drop off. Our starters are really good, imo. Even if Bedford is further along than Coy was, he is still a true freshman. And like you said, Beery is a converted DL which shows his lack of experience. And Nworah and Love might have played some, it doesn't mean they are just as good. They are not.

only 1 of our current 3 behind Stevie was a part of those stats you are using. And the one guy you are pretty much dismissing started the first game, so at that point, Scott was part of the backup depth you are referring to. And actually, I was just curious so I looked it up. Stevie wasn't even on the 2-deep going into the first game last year. It was Gest, Majette, Brookins.
If the depth chart went that far, Stevie was 5th if I remember correctly. It took an unlikely string of events for him to have a chance to play and gain over 1,000 yards. His performance and the number of games he performed well showed he belonged much higher than 5th.

Those outside the program don't have enough past data on Gest, James, or Walker to speculate what their contribution might be. We aren't at practice every day. Gest would be my pick to play behind Scott to begin the season. I thought Walker would have gotten more attempts last year. I was surprised he only had 32 attempts. How is he going to play in his second year?

Walker and James will play. I hope they do very well. Our depth will look very good if they can contribute. I simply have questions based on the experience level of our depth. This could be a real strength in the next 2 years if everyone stays.

ADVERTISEMENT