ND 9 Cal 6 G'twn 11 Rice 7 Mia-O 9
Haw 5 Pur 6 BYU 11 N.Iowa 8 SMU 3
Ga 7 Fla St 5 NC-Wil 3 Tx Tch 6 Boise 8
Neb 4 St.Joe 9 Ball 5 Char 6 Wi-Mil 5
R.Mor 8 Det 6 Drake 6 App St 14 NW St 8
NC St 4 E.Was 7 Del St 13 Aub 5 S.Car 3
70 77 83 84 79

Well, I'm still in the battle for 4th place

I'm 3 back from Tunk in the race for 4th.

Of course, I'm also 4 up on Stunned in the battle for 11th.

I'm starting to think I may sink to 11th

Drat! Another double digit finish in the standings.

I just don't like the momemtum or motivation for my teams in the league tournies.

Here's the list:

1. Kansas...not much motivation. I suppose they could possibly want to fight for a #1 seed, but is that really worth the bother? Self needs to finally get something done in the NCAA, and to do that he may need a relatively quick exit out of the Big 12 tourney.

2. Mo St...A 12-6 record and outright 3rd in the highly regarded MVC makes them a lock for an NCAA bid. They may want to get some revenge on S.Ill or Crtn, but I think they're just as likely to get knocked off by Bradley, Wichita or N.Iowa.

3. VCU...After G.Mason's run last year, the outright winner of the Colonial regular season should be a lock. They'll go in the tank after winning 1 league tourney game.

4. Dayton...Plenty of motivation, the problem is that they aren't that good.

5. Mia-O...This team may have about as good of chance as anyone I have to make a run. Obviously they have to, and they have some late momentum and can compete in the MAC.

6. SMU...I don't think they'll even qualify for the CUSA tourney. If they do, they're incapable of beating anyone they'd likely meet.

7. Boise...Similar to Mia-O. They need to win and they have been competitive in the WAC. They'll need to start winning close games instead of losing them.

8. Wi-Mil...Similar to Dayon...They need to win, but aren't good enough. The young talent just never jelled.

9. Nw St...Doubt if they win more than 1 game in the Southland tourney. They've beem handled rather easily by the elite teams on their home floor.

10. S.Car...They're incapable of putting 2 good games in a row. They could possibly luck out and win 1 (highly unlikely) but no way they get beyond that.

Teams that surprised me

Wright State has not surprised me this season. No, I didn't expect them to be this good... I didn't expect anything because I didn't know anything about them. But there are some teams that I thought I knew something about that have really surprised me. In no particular order:

1. Penn State - I am absolutely shocked by how bad Penn State is. I thought they might make the NCAA tournament - in fact, I thought they had a really good chance of making the tournament. Instead, they are TERRIBLE.

2. North Carolina - Yes, they are 10-3 in the ACC. They might end up with 13 wins. But I thought they'd be so much better than the rest of the ACC that they might go undefeated or end up with 1 loss. The ACC is really down this year, and UNC has still managed to blow 3 games. And it wouldn't shock me to see them drop one of their next two road games as well.

3. Louisville is 10-4 in the Big East. Whoa. I admit I was one of the people who thought that Pitino might have lost his mojo and would struggle in the Big East, especially this season. Me stupid boy.

4. Air Force has done pretty well, but like UNC I thought they would sail through their conference, potentially undefeated, and instead they are 10-5 and in 3rd place.

5. Washington State... duh... like everyone else on the planet.

Only mildy disagree with NC and Air Force

That's because the ACC figured to be a blood bath, and I'd never quite totally trust the talent level of a service academy team.

Louisville did look dead in the water early in the year. I think Virginia did too. They've been the big reasons why Tunk started his surge in the standings.

Wright shouldn't have been a surprise because CJ always gets this sort of late round luck. Dammit, I should have grabbed them at the 7-8 turn! I had some good luck with Wright myself in year 3 of the roto and should have gone back to see if there was still magic there. That was the only time I'd ever done well in the late rounds.

BRS is another guy who always lucks out in the late rounds. That was pretty much the reason why he won in year 4 of the roto. That and because he had a bunch of sinking teams make U-turns midway through the season.

Some other surprises:

1. BYU...no body thought they'd be this good
2. Vandy...lost to Furman at home and looked horrible prior to the draft.
4. Iowa...they looked as bad as the bottom 3 of the Big Ten early
5. Va Tech...they could easily have turned out to be a Clemson and folded
6. Hofstra...I really thought they'd struggle in relative terms based off poor results prior to the draft, but they pulled out a lot of close wins.
7. Toledo...This was actually a savvy pick by HB. How in the hell does such a mediocre team have such a good league record? I guess it's possible in the crummy MAC west.
8. VCU...I thought they'd be good, but wouldn't get 16 wins
9. Davidson...They were predicted to be a decent team in the Southern but not great, and they had to replace something like 4 starters from last year. TBL got lucky with this pick.
10. Kansas St...T&T needed something to go right.
11. USC...Maybe I shouldn't have been surprised since they have Floyd as coach, but they lost to S.Car at home prior to the draft. Never tought they'd be this good.
12. RI...They were supposed to be a bottom team, but seemingly have won all the close ones this year.
13. S.Ill...Not a big surprise, but the 4th place team in the pecking order came away the clear winner of the MVC. Peegs has to feel a little lucky that they were even around for him to pick, and that they did as well as they did.
14. Del St...OK, probably only a surprise to me. I'm kicking myself for being afraid of their 1-8 preleague record. I thought they'd do well, just didn't think they'd dominate.

Disappointments:
1. Wichita...was a real theme for JM. Teams started out great but turned to crap.
2. LSU...JM has to be mad as hell that they can beat Fla handily but seemingly can't beat anyone else.
3. Ok St...See Wichita
4. Maryland...big lull midway through the season lasted too long for what appears to be a pretty good team.
5. Washington...They've rallied some but they're dragging down a pretty good slate of Tunk.
6. George Mason...They were pretty much universally predicted to finish in the top 3 or 4 of the Colonial, and are only mediocre.
7. Arkansas...Look great at times, but find too many ways to lose.
8. R.Morris...They looked good early and were supposed to rule a weak league, but seemingly have lost all the close ones. I would have taken them if Ash didn't get them first.
9. Cal...Another team that I coveted that didn't pan out. Problem was that no one thought Wa St, USC and Stanford would be better.
10. Conn...Stunned has to feel snakebit to pick them in the only year where they don't perform.
11. Alabama...Guess they were strictly a paper tiger, and still are to a certain extent because the keep getting ranked despite poor results.
12. Arizona...Those other surprise teams in the PAC 10 just knicked them up too much.
13. Il-Chi...They started out well, but were thrown for a loop on that weird sexual harrassment deal. The 2-3 picks ended up killing HB.
14. Dayton...They sure looked good early, but have never been better mediocre once league play began.
15. SMU...Pomeroy had them with 12 or more wins at one point. They started stinking it up immediately after I drafted them. I hate when that happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT