ADVERTISEMENT

1989 feeling

iu88grad

Freshman
Feb 8, 2008
This season is starting to feel like 1989. I remember not having high hopes two years removed from a great season. I can remember early in conference play not thinking we had chances against the top teams - remember how good Michigan was? But the team rallied around a three guard offense and played as a team. We got great play from our freshmen and sophomores - Edwards, Jones, Meeks, Anderson. We had a great leader at guard in Hillman. We had a center who kept getting better in Jadlow. That was a fun year - we beat the eventual national champs twice. We again have some talented freshmen and sophomores, an upper class guard who leads, a center who keeps getting better. This is fun!

I don't know if this team can do the same thing - odds are probably against it. But I am going to enjoy each game one at a time. I'm not going to doubt that we can't beat OSU on the road. I can't wait for tip off. Maybe - just maybe - in a few weeks I will be able to have more comparisons to the 1989 team.

You are seeing something change in IU basketball

All of a sudden the team is a team. At Illinois and again against Maryland one saw the players wanting the team to score more. Just a little less of the individual cockiness is being expressed. Defense is not just a lull between offensive possessions. Each player is taking ownership to improve the team play. Someone is leading that team...Yogi, yes...Crean, yes...each player, it seems.

Sure, there will be times that IU will get hurt by better teams.

But, Indiana is starting to look a little like winners that like to play the team game.

Good write up

From the player's interviews I believe this team realizes they can be good as a team and will lose with individual play. They have improved their quality of play, less turnovers, some key defensive stops and most important of all .. looking for the open man.

It's fun to watch.

I would agree with your assertion. I remember that team well. They ran Knights motion offense to a T. They were overachievers which made the season a special one.

Jay Edwards had a great season in 1989

Respond to Friend Requests
1 I remember Jay Edwards scoring 36 points against Minnesota I beleive at The Barn on 8 or 9 3pt shots, drives, and all his FT. Another Marion player JBJ reminds me so much of Jay Edwards. Both are just effortless offensive machines.

This post was edited on 1/24 11:55 AM by ufo33

Re: Jay Edwards had a great season in 1989

I'm glad JBJ has more family support than Edwards. After the season he lost it. Bad advice from an older brother.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT