ADVERTISEMENT

1988-89 Indiana Hoosiers team

Raul Duke

Junior
Nov 26, 2001
Is it too soon to make comparisons? That team struggled early in season but went on tear and won Big Ten title (in a season where Michigan & Ilinois went to Final Four).

Some similarities - 3 guard lineup, no returning impact big man, didn't rebound particularly well, guy who came out of nowhere to be key player (Jadlow), great offensive team, not a great defensive team. Picked to finish 8th/9th bottom of Big 10 (when there were actually 10 teams).
This post was edited on 1/23 11:44 AM by Raul Duke

That's a good comparison

I remember that team, although living out in Washington I saw most of the IU game via tapes FedEx'd, a few on ESPN. I'm not sure when a 3 guard lineup became the thing in college basketball, but could that "new" offense been a factor in the late '80's??

I don't remember when teams started playing 3 guards.

I think the last team with the size IU played with last night is the 1964 UCLA team that won it all with no one taller than 6'6. I know different era's different players but gives us an ideal how long ago college teams played small ball. Dayton is having to do the same thing this year. They ran UMiss crazy the night I watched them last month on tv.

That was certainly 1st time Knight played 3 guard lineup

It was a unique thing to do back then. That s a long time ago to remember but I think Knight went to the 3 guard lineup maybe 1/3 way through season? IU got blown out early by Syracuse, UNC & Louisville but then had 13 game and then 8 game winning streaks. Lost that heart breaker at home to Illinois on last second shot but had a ton of close victories including the "Edwards shot" vs. Michigan.

Gave up over 100 points 3 times

The 89 team gave up over 100 points 3 times in the non conference to Syracuse,UNC and UL but that teamed turned it around when RMK went to the 3 guard lineup of Hillman,Jones and Edwards.

1966: Rupp's Runts . . .

were an excellent team with no one over 6'5" (Thad Jaracz). That's the team that Pat Riley was on; he was a 6'4" forward.

And the bad guys in Glory Road . . . .

Just watched Glory Road

I watched Glory Road for the upteenth time the other night. I believe Louie Dampier from Southport was also on that team.

Good call on KY ... I hadn't thought of that team when I posted.

You might also consider the '65 Hoosiers, who

played most effectively with 5-10 Harden, 6-3 Redenbaugh, 6-5 McGlocklin, 6-5 Tom Van Arsdale, and 6-5 Dick Van Arsdale.

Or you could consider the 66 UK team known as Rupp's Runts in which Tommy Kron from Tell City who was around 6-5. They were national runners-up, and Pat Riley was a member of the team.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT