ADVERTISEMENT

1984 IU v. Virginia: Dakich blows the game!

HoosierJimbo89

All-American
Nov 27, 2010
I had never seen the '84 IU v. Virginia Elite 8 game. However, through the magic of Youtube, somebody posted this game. IU was ahead by one at 44-43 with 2:50 left to play, and IU had possession and was stalling: no shot clock. At 1:30, Dakich ignores a second defender, who proceeds to steal the ball from him and go down the court to score a layup! Virginia goes up 45-44 and later wins 50-48. IU was so close to forcing Virginia to foul, which would have been an automatic 2 if they foul Alford. Also, IU had a shot at the end to tie or win, but Stew Robinson instead of Alford takes the shot?!?

I just found this game interesting because I've always heard about Dakich "shutting down" Michael Jordan in the previous game, but nobody ever talks about Dakich blowing the Virginia game.

Also, nifty Rick Carlisle sighting on Virginia!

Reactions: Paterfamilias
I had never seen the '84 IU v. Virginia Elite 8 game. However, through the magic of Youtube, somebody posted this game. IU was ahead by one at 44-43 with 2:50 left to play, and IU had possession and was stalling: no shot clock. At 1:30, Dakich ignores a second defender, who proceeds to steal the ball from him and go down the court to score a layup! Virginia goes up 45-44 and later wins 50-48. IU was so close to forcing Virginia to foul, which would have been an automatic 2 if they foul Alford. Also, IU had a shot at the end to tie or win, but Stew Robinson instead of Alford takes the shot?!?

I just found this game interesting because I've always heard about Dakich "shutting down" Michael Jordan in the previous game, but nobody ever talks about Dakich blowing the Virginia game.

Kenton Edelin picked his pocket. The air went out of the Omni on that one. The hangover of the UNC game was too much.

Reactions: Spartans9312

Dean Smith shut down Jordan,he played I think 20-22 minutes the whole game.

It's hard to watch! Edelin pouncing on ole Double D is like watching a lion strike a hobbled antelope on Wild Kingdom. Dan was actually a great ball security guy, but you wouldn't think it to watch him. I showed this to my younger brother a couple of years ago and he said that it was like the moment in "The Office" when Michael sees Stanley's ballhandling skills for the first time :)

• Haha
Reactions: HoosierJimbo89

Dan brings it up whenever the MJ story is brought up.

Reactions: IULouie

Maybe if Alford had scored more than what, 4 points?

I’ve been watching the games from the 80’s and 90’s and think how much the coaching has changed in the case of playing guys with 2 fouls. Today’s game players get pulled after 2 in the first half but back then coaches trusted players, maybe to much, to play through foul trouble and stay on the floor.

Actually. DD talks about it quite often on his show.

He says that there hasn't been a day go by since that game that he doesn't think about that play. You can tell it haunts him .

Reactions: kkott and IULouie
I’ve been watching the games from the 80’s and 90’s and think how much the coaching has changed in the case of playing guys with 2 fouls. Today’s game players get pulled after 2 in the first half but back then coaches trusted players, maybe to much, to play through foul trouble and stay on the floor.
Guy Lewis let Drexler get 4 fouls in the first half against NC State....crazy.

I believe Will Sheehey's Uncle played in the game for Virginia too. His name was Tom???

My uncle went to IU and was a Geologist. He lived around Houston in the same neighborhood as Akeem Olajuwon. My uncle's opinion of Guy Lewis was, "He just rolls the ball out during practice and says, "play boys".
That lack of coaching (and the late Lorenzo Charles) is why they don’t have multiple banners from that era. Talent-wise those early 80s phi slamma teams were as loaded as any college team in the land. Rivaling the UNC teams with Worthy-Perkins-MJ (I don’t remember Worthy-MJ at UNC during the seam season ...Maybe that 82 champ yr?).

Mental error. Happens.

My uncle went to IU and was a Geologist. He lived around Houston in the same neighborhood as Akeem Olajuwon. My uncle's opinion of Guy Lewis was, "He just rolls the ball out during practice and says, "play boys".
How many practices did your geologist uncle attend?

Reactions: EarlTubbs
Foul trouble, wasn't it?
Nope. Jordan was just inexplicitly on the bench for a LONG time in the first half. The announcers were wondering about it too, and were surmising that perhaps Dean Smith was saving him for the 2nd half.

A terrible coaching move, and the reason why people have often said that the only man who could shut down Jordan in college was Dean Smith...

Jordan could play with fouls, Smith was wedded to his strategy of sitting guys with two early fouls. Jordan would have more than made up any difference in defensive efficiency. Dakich did not shut him down, Deam Smith did and Jordan has said so many, many times.

I think it was equal parts DD played good D (which wasn't a rare occurrence for him)/MJ didn't have a great night/Dean clipped MJ's wings.

But Jordan's take isn't surprising.

Reactions: BHAII
Jordan could play with fouls, Smith was wedded to his strategy of sitting guys with two early fouls. Jordan would have more than made up any difference in defensive efficiency. Dakich did not shut him down, Deam Smith did and Jordan has said so many, many times.
Dean Smith wasn't the only coach with that philosophy. I remember the '89 game Sweet 16 game. Jay Edwards picked up two early fouls in the first half and sat for a long time against Seton Hall.

The Hoosiers overachieved big-time in that tournament and they were physically mismatched against Virginia.

Give it a rest.

The Hoosiers overachieved big-time in that tournament and they were physically mismatched against Virginia.

Give it a rest.
Beating that UNC with IU's roster is the definition of overachieving. UNC had arguably the best starting 5 in the history of college basketball. However, mismatched or not, IU was in the driver's seat at the end of the Virginia game: up 1 with 1:30 to go and stalling. Virginia was basically at the point of desperation where they had to start fouling. Dan made a silly, monumental mistake that very possibly cost IU a FF trip.

Reactions: Still Laughing
Beating that UNC with IU's roster is the definition of overachieving. UNC had arguably the best starting 5 in the history of college basketball. However, mismatched or not, IU was in the driver's seat at the end of the Virginia game: up 1 with 1:30 to go and stalling. Virginia was basically at the point of desperation where they had to start fouling. Dan made a silly, monumental mistake that very possibly cost IU a FF trip.
People sometimes misremember and think that IU got knocked off by Ralph Sampson's Virginia in 1984. That Virginia team that got us was a 6-8 ACC squad that only spent a couple of weeks in the AP Top 20. IU was not physically outmatched by UVA, or at least no more so than many other games that season.

I joke about Dakich getting pick pocketed by Edelin, but IU got there because of Dakich's outstanding play vs UNC. The lazy take is that Dakich shut down Jordan, which, even if it were true, greatly diminishes the game Dakich had against UNC. Billy Packer talked more about Dakich that night than any other player on the court and Dan only scored 4 points before fouling out. He just had a terrific game directing the offense... the Jordan thing should really be just a side note.

Reactions: kkott and F.Fletch

Dean Smith did less with more, than any other coach in history.
But in this game, he was not wrong to sit Jordan in the 1st half with 2 fouls.
Jordan eventually fouled out, after playing 26 minutes in the game.

People sometimes misremember and think that IU got knocked off by Ralph Sampson's Virginia in 1984. That Virginia team that got us was a 6-8 ACC squad that only spent a couple of weeks in the AP Top 20. IU was not physically outmatched by UVA, or at least no more so than many other games that season.

I joke about Dakich getting pick pocketed by Edelin, but IU got there because of Dakich's outstanding play vs UNC. The lazy take is that Dakich shut down Jordan, which, even if it were true, greatly diminishes the game Dakich had against UNC. Billy Packer talked more about Dakich that night than any other player on the court and Dan only scored 4 points before fouling out. He just had a terrific game directing the offense... the Jordan thing should really be just a side note.

Weren't Polynece and Carlisle on that team?

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Weren't Polynece and Carlisle on that team?
Yeah, and Edelin, Miller and the two little guards (Wilson and Stokes), They surely did have some physical advantage over IU, as most teams did. That IU team sorely lacked physicality and athleticism, which is the main reason they underachieved expectations so badly the following season.

I though Virginia was a team that wouldn't be able to crush us on the boards like some teams could, and with the tiny guards I thought it was a great matchup, Stew played a great game on the bad ankle, but Alford struggled to get looks. I've always thought that IU was physically out of gas at the end of the UNC game and two days to recover left the team flat vs UVA. Still it was even steven in almost every category other than fouls. IU couldn't get to the line and the Cav's did.

Reactions: kkott
Dean Smith did less with more, than any other coach in history.
But in this game, he was not wrong to sit Jordan in the 1st half with 2 fouls.
Jordan eventually fouled out, after playing 26 minutes in the game.
Speaking of doing less with more, Joe B. Hall has to be in that team photo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT