ADVERTISEMENT

1968 - Indiana 24 Michigan State 22

Pretty cool highlights of IU's win over MSU in '68. The interception by Jay Mathias is pretty sweet.

in
Who was #14 playing QB for the Hoosiers in most of the highlights ? Did Gonso get hurt in this game ?

I was only 9 years old at the time. I went to one or two games that year with my folks and listened on the radio to at least parts of most games. I remember the major players in that era ( Gonso, Isenbarger, Butcher, Cole, etc) but the details of most games are long lost to the piles of mush in my 60 year-old brain.

in
Who was #14 playing QB for the Hoosiers in most of the highlights ? Did Gonso get hurt in this game ?

I was only 9 years old at the time. I went to one or two games that year with my folks and listened on the radio to at least parts of most games. I remember the major players in that era ( Gonso, Isenbarger, Butcher, Cole, etc) but the details of most games are long lost to the piles of mush in my 60 year-old brain.
I wondered the same thing,this is the year after the Rose Bowl team,correct?

Reactions: vesuvius13
in

The QB #14 was Greg Brown. He was listed as a sophomore in '68 but wasn't on the '69 roster (maybe he was but he didn't letter) and played again in '70 and '71. Brown's listed as making an appearance in every game in '68... maybe he was just in at that time because I don't recall Gonso being hurt.

Last edited:
IU was the only team to beat MSU 3 times in a row--under Duffy Daughtery at MSU-yes we played them at MSU in 67, 68, and 69 and won all three.
That's quite an accomplishment. I thought the cruddy scheduling was over by the late 60's? Indiana has played a large majority of their conference games on the road. That is a MAJOR reason the program continued to struggle. I did think this practice was corrected around 1960??

Looking at the history, this is a program Indiana REALLY needs to start beating. Losing to MSU that often MUST end.

Payback is ours this fall, they come to Btown...blow their doors off!!

Eric Stolberg makes a great game winning TD catch! Near the end of the game. I had an int. In that game. Those three wins in East Lansing were great wins for us. The 16-0 win in ‘69 was awesome. MSU had just thumped Michigan, champs that season.23-12.the week before.
‘67 was a nail biter, 14-13, with ISO going around right end to score with about a minute left. Great wins.

Eric Stolberg makes a great game winning TD catch! Near the end of the game. I had an int. In that game. Those three wins in East Lansing were great wins for us. The 16-0 win in ‘69 was awesome. MSU had just thumped Michigan, champs that season.23-12.the week before.
‘67 was a nail biter, 14-13, with ISO going around right end to score with about a minute left. Great wins.

Thanks for the first person insight!

Reactions: red hornet
If I remember correctly, playing at the other stadiums was purely economics. The B10 used to (they still might) split gates evenly. They may have only played 1/10 at home vs o$u. 1/2 of a full horseshoe or big house generated much more than 1/2 of the old stadium for sure. By mid to large 60’s, we were out of 10th street stadium and into memorial stadium. We were filling memorial stadium during the rose bowl season and I think we started home/home after that with even Mich and o$u.

Stolberg’s catch may have been one of the greatest catches ever. Only topped by OBJ.

After I viewed the tape Highlights, it caused me to go back and review some Player Statistics from that team. I grew up in Wisconsin, and was in high school at that time playing tight end, but Jade Butcher was one of my favorite Players. When I pulled up his Career Statistics, Something jumped out at me.
I was aware that in 3 years of play, he had caught 30 TD passes at a constant rate of 10 Per Year. I discovered that he averaged 16-17 yards per catch over those years. But what really caught my attention was that he scored 30 Tds on 116 Career Receptions, or one TD for just under every 4 receptions. I don't know of anyone with over 100 Career Receptions who could top or match that stat.

If I remember correctly, playing at the other stadiums was purely economics. The B10 used to (they still might) split gates evenly. They may have only played 1/10 at home vs o$u. 1/2 of a full horseshoe or big house generated much more than 1/2 of the old stadium for sure. By mid to large 60’s, we were out of 10th street stadium and into memorial stadium. We were filling memorial stadium during the rose bowl season and I think we started home/home after that with even Mich and o$u.
Not quite...Never to my knowledge was the gate split 50/50. The Big 10 used to settle FB revenue based on a formula where students were $1, Faculty Staff were $2 and public at face value. So the visiting team got $0.50 per student ticket, $1.00 per fac/staff ticket and half of public ticket sales revenue. There was a formula that allowed the home team a certain number of "comp" admissions. Beginning in the 90's, it went to a 65/35 split. Home team retained 65% of ticket revenue, visitors received 35%. There was a cap on the amount the home team had to pay, and a floor that a visiting team had to be paid. If a school was over the cap (think MI and OSU) they retained all revenues in excess. For the floor (think IU and NW) if 35% of the gate didn't reach the minimum, the home school paid whatever the minimum was regardless of the percentage of the gate it amounted to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT