ADVERTISEMENT

#19 IU heads to Illinois

Down 1-0 in the 6th. Is Illinois' ace that good? I have to admit, I don't know much about the Illini other than their record and their RPI.

Down 1-0 in the 6th. Is Illinois' ace that good? I have to admit, I don't know much about the Illini other than their record and their RPI.

Fisher is a solid Friday starter (season ERA of 2,74); Illini have suffered through some injuries early season, but have a healthier team that is playing fairly well as of late. Their RPI and ranking are trending upward.

Go Hoosiers!

As they always like to say, pitching is 80% of the game, and we were no match for their pitchers in the first two games. Our pitching wasn't bad, but they couldn't match what the opposition was throwing at us. We absolutely have to win tomorrow and Saalfrank has been pretty good in his Sunday starts. If we get swept, Illinois moves a half a game ahead of us, and knowing that, they are sure motivated to do just that.

I get it. But I’d sure like to think we might have a little motivation too.

That's a shame. I guess they have a higher RPI for a reason. A sweep would be brutal. Saalfrank has been really good but if we can't score a run, or only score one run (like the first 2 games), it's not going to matter how good Saalfrank pitches.

That's a shame. I guess they have a higher RPI for a reason. A sweep would be brutal. Saalfrank has been really good but if we can't score a run, or only score one run (like the first 2 games), it's not going to matter how good Saalfrank pitches.

Today’s game is huge, will be interesting to see how they respond. All the possibilities are still there but a loss today moves us closer to missing the show and makes hosting highly improvable.

We are finally seeing a pitcher in our Sunday matchup that has an ERA a little north of 3.00 at 3.38. Of note is that the pitcher, Watson, has given up just one homer all season long in 56 innings pitched, which, needless to say, is a big part of our game.

IU is up 6-0 and is batting in the T7th. Both Dunham and Barr have homered, accounting for five of the runs. Saalfrank has pitched a great game so far. He got out of a jam in the 5th with runners on 2nd and 3rd and one out, and he struck out the next two batters to end the inning.

IU is batting in the 8th with the score still 6-0, IU. I doubt we will see Saalfrank in the bottom of the inning since he is up to 106 pitches. Maybe Sommer?

In the 8th, Lloyd got a clutch two-out double to score Gorski to add to the lead. The Illini are batting in the last half of the 8th with IU up 7-0. IU has brought in Braden Scott to replace Saalfrank. Saalfrank pitched seven innings of shutout ball while giving up just four hits.

IU is batting in the top of the 9th with the score still 7-0. Scott gave up a leadoff single in the 8th, but that runner got rubbed out on a double-play ball. Scott then struck out the next batter to end the inning.

In the top of the 9th, Fineman homered with Dunham aboard to give IU at 9-0 lead. The Illini are batting in the bottom of the inning.

Scott couldn't preserve the shutout as he gave up a one-out, two-run homer. Manous has come in to close it out.

Reactions: snowling
Michigan is just not losing and has won 10 straight games and will probably make that 11 straight since they are way up on Maryland right now. They have benefited from a fairly easy conference schedule, but we have a chance to do something about that, and they have to go on the road at Nebraska to end the conference regular season.

Reactions: snowling
Wonder if there’s any thought at all of switching things up the last couple of weekends with the starting rotation? It’d be interesting to see what would happen if Saalfrank and Pauly swapped spots for a couple series. Just seems like Saalfrank might mess with their timing and it could have a residual effect thru Sat and Sun.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT