ADVERTISEMENT

'19-20 vs. '20-21

Haven’t heard anything and wouldn’t speculate with names. But something’s gotta give, doesn’t it?
Something definitely has to give. Whether anyone agrees with it, I have a feeling Miller will show the door to any player who hasn't fully bought in to his program.

People need to understand Miller simply tolerated Devonte Green because of the lack of play-making guards. In any other situation, Green is booted from the program.

Question for the board:

Do you feel next season's IU team will be better than the current team? Make your decision based on next season's main rotation hypothetically including the following players:

- Rob Phinisee
- Khristian Lander
- Armaan Franklin
- Al Durham
- Jerome Hunter
- Justin Smith
- Race Thompson
- Trayce Jackson-Davis
- Joey Brunk
I'm looking forward to Durham coming off the bench with Lander and new guards coming in. We need players that compete and are coachable.

I am excited about Race and TJD playing together with Brunk off the bench. I want to see Hunter put pressure on Smith to play smarter basketball with Geronimo waiting for his chance in the wings.

Guard play will again be a question but we may have better decision makers on the floor.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
Weren’t you humming this tune (constantly) about Tom Allen? Well, until you weren’t. That’s broken clock stuff, brah. Lol.

Unlike the hobbit, Allen turned it around in year #3.

Basketball is not even the long lead time it takes to see results like football. By year 3, the fact that Archie is teetering on the bubble again is an indictment of his leadership.

Reactions: fpeaugh

Basketball is not even the long lead time it takes to see results like football. By year 3, the fact that Archie is teetering on the bubble again is an indictment of his leadership.
I'm probably not allowed to say this on the football board, but Allen has just hit his peak this past season and will be in a slow decline. This offseason has been a total disaster. The schedule will never be as easy as it was last season. Coaches and assistants will not stay around long for him or the team. Eventually, Allen will flame out and I suspect back to four or five wins a season is all we'll be seeing.

ya but as of 2.75 years in you were still writing all kinds of silly little diary entries about TA. So you type dumb shit right up until the day you don’t? lol. Well, I guess everyone has to live by their own code. As short-sighted and dumb as that code may be. Congrats!

Unfortunately, there is one guy coming back that really needs to depart.

His name is Archie.
We have made progress each year, albeit not as much as would have hoped. Bottom line is you can’t run coaches after 3 years, barring them being a cheater, a drunk, or sleeping with students (cough....McCarty....cough). Archie will get at least 2 more years and, if he can keep adding 2-3 wins a year he’ll be fine.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
I'm probably not allowed to say this on the football board, but Allen has just hit his peak this past season and will be in a slow decline. This offseason has been a total disaster. The schedule will never be as easy as it was last season. Coaches and assistants will not stay around long for him or the team. Eventually, Allen will flame out and I suspect back to four or five wins a season is all we'll be seeing.

Not sure about all of that. Assistants left for better jobs or pay. If DeBoer hated his job so much, he wouldn’t have stayed around through the bowl game and Allen managed to get what appear to be competent assistants as replacements.
Agree or not, the one thing Allen appears to be doing is developing a culture within the program. Every program needs some kind of identity that when new people are introduced into it, they are taught the culture.

What is Archie’s identity and values? Is it that the inmates run the asylum? I cannot tell. Effort clearly isn’t one of them.

Don’t agree with everything Allen does but he has shown an ability to adapt. I’ll give him that. Archie has shown zero ability to adapt.

We have made progress each year, albeit not as much as would have hoped. Bottom line is you can’t run coaches after 3 years, barring them being a cheater, a drunk, or sleeping with students (cough....McCarty....cough). Archie will get at least 2 more years and, if he can keep adding 2-3 wins a year he’ll be fine.

Dollars to donuts I bet we have a worse record next year. We’ll start out on a tear with the usual cream puff schedule and then will wilt like lettuce come conference season.
I forgot. Lander is our savior. All is good.

Strong chance that Archie loses to Nebraska next game.

Reactions: fpeaugh
Dollars to donuts I bet we have a worse record next year. We’ll start out on a tear with the usual cream puff schedule and then will wilt like lettuce come conference season.

If that comes to pass, we can worry about it then. The roster continues to add talent and toughness based on the recruit evaluations and reports. If in 2 years we are stuck in sand, a change will likely be made. But until then I will be optimistic and support the team.

Reactions: jet812
The biggest problems for IU:

1.) Lack of shooters at the 2 and 3
2.) Lack of floor leadership
3.) Lack of quickness at guard
4.) Lack of having a back up center next year

For #1, Leal and or Galloway will play if they can shoot and defend. Anderson and or Franklin will not play if Leal and Galloway can shoot.

For #2, I think Trayce will pick up a leadership role next year. Galloway seems to be a potential leader but it may be hard as a freshman.

For #3, Lander would immediately solve the quickness problem.

For #4, losing out on Garcia really hurt, and if Lander takes the last scholarship, IU will have to make due. But if a player were to depart, an easy fix would be to add a big tough guy who can rebound and defend the 5.

The biggest problems for IU:

1.) Lack of shooters at the 2 and 3
2.) Lack of floor leadership
3.) Lack of quickness at guard
4.) Lack of having a back up center next year

For #1, Leal and or Galloway will play if they can shoot and defend. Anderson and or Franklin will not play if Leal and Galloway can shoot.

For #2, I think Trayce will pick up a leadership role next year. Galloway seems to be a potential leader but it may be hard as a freshman.

For #3, Lander would immediately solve the quickness problem.

For #4, losing out on Garcia really hurt, and if Lander takes the last scholarship, IU will have to make due. But if a player were to depart, an easy fix would be to add a big tough guy who can rebound and defend the 5.
Help is on the way! Nothing to see here, the program isn’t actually in flames like your eyes are telling you! Keep those crimson glasses on.

We’ve never heard this before.

We will be better, especially if Lander reclassifies. There will only be 2 or 3 teams with more talent/experience than us on the schedule. I do think Archie will underachieve, but we will have too much talent/experience to not win 20+ games. You and I could coach them to 20 wins, next year.

No guarantees for next year. I would figure about the same or worse, year after next might get better but that's only if TJD doesn't leave and I'd bet he's gone after next year.

Guards

- We are mediocre at best at guard

-We have a #109 guard and a #110 guard coming in. Franklin was #133. Do we expect them to contribute significantly?

-Will Phinisee and Durham be that much better? What has their trajectory looked like in the last 2 years?

Forwards:

- We have no outside shooters that present a threat
- Hunter MAY come around - needs to be a shooting threat
- We don't really have an effective power forward or additional threat inside to complement TJD.
- Thompson will be better but can he be a consistent scorer
- Justin Smith is an enigma...crazy athleticism and games where he's played out of his mind (e.g., MSU last year). If he could be that player 80% of the time this would be a different team.
- Geronimo might help if he can shoot
- Gotta think that Anderson is gone in the offseason - hard to believe this kid was a 4 star --Nice kid...maybe he'll find it in the offseason

Center
- TJD - Solid and should be better
- Brunk - Ok
- Thompson will have to play more center likely

Summary - We still need a scorer. Don't see that happening in the near term. B10 will be good again next year and even the teams below us will be better. Tough to say whether we're any better next year. 50/50.

Help is on the way! Nothing to see here, the program isn’t actually in flames like your eyes are telling you! Keep those crimson glasses on.

We’ve never heard this before.
19-12, with BTT coming up and most projections having us in the NCAA field is program up in flames?

Question for the board:

Do you feel next season's IU team will be better than the current team? Make your decision based on next season's main rotation hypothetically including the following players:

- Rob Phinisee
- Khristian Lander
- Armaan Franklin
- Al Durham
- Jerome Hunter
- Justin Smith
- Race Thompson
- Trayce Jackson-Davis
- Joey Brunk
Who do we have as an inside presence? Nobody. So expect the same.

When did building a basketball program take 4 years were talking about basketball not football correct?

Here is a coach who in his third season has a winning record at all three coaching stops.

20-5 Army
23-5 Indiana
23-11 Texas Tech

Signed RMK

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT