ADVERTISEMENT

18 Cs for 85 yards

UTFO

Hall of Famer
Feb 2, 2004
What a garbage stat line. Tells the whole story on O. On D we never seemed set. Kiffin and his hurry up O had our D off balance. Howabout next bowl game we don't whine about BT slights and refrain from stunts like covering BT logo?

What a garbage stat line. Tells the whole story on O. On D we never seemed set. Kiffin and his hurry up O had our D off balance. Howabout next bowl game we don't whine about BT slights and refrain from stunts like covering BT logo?
We had the LEO on the helmets and the Outback patch was in the exact same spot on the Wisky uniforms last year. I think that was much to do about nothing. I think our Covid break was probably the culprit.

Sheridan's Whop heavy attack was puzzling. Hadn't used that bubble screen much all year, after using it a lot last year. IU has plenty of weapons on O who were totally under utilized all day, especially Scott in the run game. The run was there. Took Sheridan 3 quarters to figure that out.

I actually would have been perfectly fine with what the O was doing with Whop if he would have turned North after the catches. If you are going to use that type of strategy it is to constantly move the chains. Then you can take a shot here or there during advantageous downs. But IU went away from running, even though it was working, and Whop decided he was trying to hit a home run on every crossing pattern. I mean crap... one catch was 6/7 yards down field and he ended with a 12 yard loss or something. You have to be physical on those type of plays.

Sheridan's Whop heavy attack was puzzling. Hadn't used that bubble screen much all year, after using it a lot last year. IU has plenty of weapons on O who were totally under utilized all day, especially Scott in the run game. The run was there. Took Sheridan 3 quarters to figure that out.

Watching Alabama, one thing really jumped out to me about their WR’s. They are very good blockers. That’s one area hope IU improves upon next season.

Reactions: iulb and 4IUSox2
Watching Alabama, one thing really jumped out to me about their WR’s. They are very good blockers. That’s one area hope IU improves upon next season.

18 catches for 81 yards would be ok if these were running back stats. But, I’m guessing Sheridan’s expectations for those 18 catches would been at least double the yards. I’d like to see Ellis move into Whop’s position next season. Good hands and better YAC.

18 catches for 81 yards would be ok if these were running back stats. But, I’m guessing Sheridan’s expectations for those 18 catches would been at least double the yards. I’d like to see Ellis move into Whop’s position next season. Good hands and better YAC.
I'd venture a guess that he gave up around 25 yards just by running backwards.

I actually would have been perfectly fine with what the O was doing with Whop if he would have turned North after the catches. If you are going to use that type of strategy it is to constantly move the chains. Then you can take a shot here or there during advantageous downs. But IU went away from running, even though it was working, and Whop decided he was trying to hit a home run on every crossing pattern. I mean crap... one catch was 6/7 yards down field and he ended with a 12 yard loss or something. You have to be physical on those type of plays.
I bet that he lost at least 35 yards for us today. Not just the 6 Yard Gain he turned into a 12 yard loss. There were a number of those patterns that would have been 6 or 7 Yard Gains that he turned into 1 or 2 yard gains by running sideways or backwards. I'm perfectly happy stringing together a series of singles and doubles to get 1st downs and move the ball rather than try for a Home Run on every play. Chicks may love the Long Ball, but Whop isn't Devonta Smith.

Reactions: BaxterIU and dahldc
I bet that he lost at least 35 yards for us today. Not just the 6 Yard Gain he turned into a 12 yard loss. There were a number of those patterns that would have been 6 or 7 Yard Gains that he turned into 1 or 2 yard gains by running sideways or backwards. I'm perfectly happy stringing together a series of singles and doubles to get 1st downs and move the ball rather than try for a Home Run on every play. Chicks may love the Long Ball, but Whop isn't Devonta Smith.
I think he has been like this ever since that hit to the head he took last year at PSU that gave him the concussion. He is shying away from contact.

Exactly my point. Get up field, move the chains, wear the opposing defense out, while putting points on the board. It's as, if not more, effective than one big play as it keeps Ole Miss' strength on the sidelines.

Whop hurt us more than he helped today. He single handedly killed about 4 drives with his running backwards and on the fumble he was more worried about trying to stiff arm the guy than holding onto the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT