ADVERTISEMENT

100 Year Starship

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
Physician, Engineer, Astronaut Mae Jemison spoke at IU today. She spoke on several topics, such as machine learning and diversity, but a large part of it was on the 100 year starship.

That group is working on building the capability for a human trip to Alpha Centauri in 100 years. Not conduct the trip, but have the ability to. She made a point that dreaming about the world wants in the future creates actions that improve the world today.

She pointed out that since we already have the tech to go to Mars, we need something else to really push us.

What I wonder is, can projects like this bring us back together. We do not really have long term goals as a people, we are just drifting. In that drifting, our differences seem bigger.

We do not have a frontier to tame, maybe humans need that.

When/if her talk is put online, I will link it.

until the warp drive is invented, forget about anything further than Mars. (not that Mars itself isn't a stretch).

closing in on 50yrs since we've made it to the moon.

that's the real issue for maned space exploration.
just nothing attainable to even shoot for, nor will there be.

until the warp drive is invented, forget about anything further than Mars. (not that Mars itself isn't a stretch).

She made a big deal that we would not be going, just developing the capability. The idea is gain all the technology and knowledge such an endeavor would require.

For example, they went to the life sciences and expected they would say radiation was the big concern. It was not, it was how to provide basic healthcare to people with no access to any medicines or tools. Now think about that, that has application today in areas ravaged by Michael.

Cryonics will be necessary, so developing that is a technology that may have applications here.

She spoke of leadership/psychology. People coming out of cryonic sleep 10 years from earth may decide the old leadership structure is totally irrelevant.

How does one grow food in a spaceship for 30 years. If that can be done, earth may benefit from enhanced food growth.

The idea is to conquer these things because they will build a better earth. Even propulsion, probably nuclear fusion or antimatter. Either way, that is an incredible energy source for us on earth.

Physician, Engineer, Astronaut Mae Jemison spoke at IU today. She spoke on several topics, such as machine learning and diversity, but a large part of it was on the 100 year starship.

That group is working on building the capability for a human trip to Alpha Centauri in 100 years. Not conduct the trip, but have the ability to. She made a point that dreaming about the world wants in the future creates actions that improve the world today.

She pointed out that since we already have the tech to go to Mars, we need something else to really push us.

What I wonder is, can projects like this bring us back together. We do not really have long term goals as a people, we are just drifting. In that drifting, our differences seem bigger.

So is the 100 year starship named because it will take 100 years to develop it or because, once developed, it would take the starship 100 years to arrive at Alpha Centauri? If it's the latter, I hate to tell you guys, but I see a problem.

We appear to be taking the space elevator seriously now. Saw where Japan is testing a miniature version. Still a long way off of course but if we achieve that the soral system gets a lot smaller.

So is the 100 year starship named because it will take 100 years to develop it or because, once developed, it would take the starship 100 years to arrive at Alpha Centauri? If it's the latter, I hate to tell you guys, but I see a problem.
100 years from now, have the capability. Not go, just capable. When she gave a mission timeframe it was 20-30 years (if we actually did it).

100 years from now, have the capability. Not go, just capable. When she gave a mission timeframe it was 20-30 years (if we actually did it).
Well, I still vote we should go. And it would be way more interesting and full of thought-provoking dilemmas if the troop took 100 years.

You would have told the Mongols to give up on mounted archers. “You can’t shoot accurately that way! Give up its unattainable!”

You would have told the Mongols to give up on mounted archers. “You can’t shoot accurately that way! Give up its unattainable!”

Think of it, we were less than 70 years from man not flying at all to a man on the moon.

The mounted archers were a real game changer.

Reactions: SSB

th

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT