ADVERTISEMENT

#1 for Most Hoped for Next Commit: Deontae Craig

Here is what I would do. If I were the BOT, I would tell Fred Glass that he doesn’t receive his yearly salary for every season that IU football doesn’t win at least 7 games. See how motivated he is then.

Say iU beats OSU, is nationally ranked and game at MSU is national game of two 4-0 B10 teams. Then say they win that game (on the road). The next weeks game at IU would probably be sold out for IU as a possible top 10, 5-0 team.

That may be exaggerated for this year but the point is: more winning will solve many if not all attendance woes.

While Iowa does seemingly get a steady flow of Indiana HS players, it seems like very few see the field in any meaningful way. I think AJ Edds was the last one to be a real impact player for them, and he graduated a decade ago.

Julius Brents started a few games at CB for Iowa last year as a true freshman. DJ Johnson looks like he'll be the starter at Iowa's CASH position this year as a redshirt freshmen. Tyrone Tracy is in the top 4 at WR and has a chance to start in the slot this year as a redshirt freshmen. Also we've been hearing Justin Britt has impressed so far.

Most of Iowa's success in IN has been very recent.

Reactions: Herkmeister
Here is what I would do. If I were the BOT, I would tell Fred Glass that he doesn’t receive his yearly salary for every season that IU football doesn’t win at least 7 games. See how motivated he is then.
How many times has that even happened in school history? A bit of an unreasonable expectation that it happens every year now.

We should recruit T ABSOLUTE F out of Iowa. If they have any kids worth recruiting, that is. They often don't have many, but we hammer the s#!+ out of that state. I'm serious. It's BS how they take so many of our best kids, from our point of view, I mean. All's fair, but we should take serious exception to the way they recruit Indiana.
I mean you do realize you have two top 25 D1 schools to recruit against in Iowa right? If a kid didn't grow up a Hawkeye fan they grew up Cyclone fans. Iowa and Iowa State normally split 90%-100% of the Top 10-15 Kids in the State If there is even that many D1 kids in the State for that Class. The leftovers go to Northern Iowa, or D2. Indiana is not coming into Iowa and taking anyone worth a Scholarship.

Julius Brents started a few games at CB for Iowa last year as a true freshman. DJ Johnson looks like he'll be the starter at Iowa's CASH position this year as a redshirt freshmen. Tyrone Tracy is in the top 4 at WR and has a chance to start in the slot this year as a redshirt freshmen. Also we've been hearing Justin Britt has impressed so far.

Most of Iowa's success in IN has been very recent.
I saw where Iowa has had about 8 transfers recently. I like Iowa going back to Hayden Fry. Can you comment on these transfers (no sugar coating) and why so many DE recruits this year.

I saw where Iowa has had about 8 transfers recently. I like Iowa going back to Hayden Fry. Can you comment on these transfers (no sugar coating) and why so many DE recruits this year.

Two of the DE recruits will most likely end up on the offensive side of the ball (Black and Richman).

Aaron Witt out of Minnesota just got a Wisky offer that I believe he is seriously considering, so the coaches might not feel great about that.

And the Lois kid from Wisconsin is recovering from a freak accident diving into a pool. I’m not even sure if he has been cleared to play again.

Not sure what transfers you're referring to other than Jayden McDonald so I don't think any of them were contributors. McDonald was just buried on the depth chart at LB. He was getting passed up by two true freshmen.

Iowa likes their d-linemen to have some flexibility to play both DE and DT at times. They also tend to recruit a lot of high school DE's that are destined for DT after a few years in the program. Logan Jones and Isaiah Bruce are two in this class that could play DT (Jones for sure). Also, Richman is listed as a DE but he'll actually play OT. Michael Lois had a life threatening pool accident he's recovering from (staff still honoring their scholarship offer), so who knows about his development. And finally there's a great chance Epenesa goes early as he's being projected as a top 5-10 pick.

Not sure what transfers you're referring to other than Jayden McDonald so I don't think any of them were contributors. McDonald was just buried on the depth chart at LB. He was getting passed up by two true freshmen.

Iowa likes their d-linemen to have some flexibility to play both DE and DT at times. They also tend to recruit a lot of high school DE's that are destined for DT after a few years in the program. Logan Jones and Isaiah Bruce are two in this class that could play DT (Jones for sure). Also, Richman is listed as a DE but he'll actually play OT. Michael Lois had a life threatening pool accident he's recovering from (staff still honoring their scholarship offer), so who knows about his development. And finally there's a great chance Epenesa goes early as he's being projected as a top 5-10 pick.
Maybe I misread those transfers can't find the original article now. Anyway it just seemed like all those DE's are 240-255 lbs even if they gain 40 lbs still are underweight for a DT.

Reactions: 76-1
Maybe I misread those transfers can't find the original article now. Anyway it just seemed like all those DE's are 240-255 lbs even if they gain 40 lbs still are underweight for a DT.
It's hard to find ready-made DTs out of high school. Not many 300 lb'ers with good weight.

That's pretty common for Iowa actually. Karl Klug came in as a 6'3, 230 lb linebacker... He left as a 6'3", 275 lb DT and then played 7 years in the NFL at DE.

Mike Daniels came in as a 6'1, 230 lb DE... Played DT for Iowa around 290. Now is an NFL pro bowler at 310.

Louis Trinca Pissat came in as a 6'2, 235 lb DE.. played DT at Iowa and in the NFL at 300 lbs.

Brady Rieff (Riley's younger brother) is currently listed as a starter at DT for this year. He came in at 6'3", 215 lbs... Now is up to 278.

That's pretty common for Iowa actually. Karl Klug came in as a 6'3, 230 lb linebacker... He left as a 6'3", 275 lb DT and then played 7 years in the NFL at DE.

Mike Daniels came in as a 6'1, 230 lb DE... Played DT for Iowa around 290. Now is an NFL pro bowler at 310.

Louis Trinca Pissat came in as a 6'2, 235 lb DE.. played DT at Iowa and in the NFL at 300 lbs.

Brady Rieff (Riley's younger brother) is currently listed as a starter at DT for this year. He came in at 6'3", 215 lbs... Now is up to 278.
OK thanks for the info. Always enjoy watching Iowa on tv, like your coach and of course the hospital.

Reactions: ThriceHawk
OK thanks for the info. Always enjoy watching Iowa on tv, like your coach and of course the hospital.
I agree that the Iowa program is solid, the whole state treats them as their NFL team and the hospital is awesome to see every game, every time, never gets old.

I still want IU to kick their butts and win more of those IN kid recruiting battles. But can't knock the Hawkeyes for being a solid program.

Reactions: Sassy61
I agree that the Iowa program is solid, the whole state treats them as their NFL team and the hospital is awesome to see every game, every time, never gets old.

I still want IU to kick their butts and win more of those IN kid recruiting battles. But can't knock the Hawkeyes for being a solid program.
Yes losing those recruits is a pisser but historically Iowa has a better track record. Who knows maybe Craig flips if we have a solid year.

Yes losing those recruits is a pisser but historically Iowa has a better track record. Who knows maybe Craig flips if we have a solid year.

If IU were to upset OSU...think the whole dynamic of IU recruiting would change. But even if they don't, if they win @MSU, or frankly even get back to bowling this year, think they will be fine/solid and back right on track! And I'd have open arms if both Craig and the OSU commit Fryar decided to come back home to IU if IU lights it up this year. IU is always home fellas!

Reactions: Sassy61 and DANC
I think we get him had we not gotten blown out by Iowa at home.

If IU were to upset OSU...think the whole dynamic of IU recruiting would change. But even if they don't, if they win @MSU, or frankly even get back to bowling this year, think they will be fine/solid and back right on track! And I'd have open arms if both Craig and the OSU commit Fryar decided to come back home to IU if IU lights it up this year. IU is always home fellas!
Agreed. Iowa and Purdue have beaten OSU the last two years. Look at their recruiting rankings now. It means a lot when you can tell recruits: "look what we did with our ur talent. Imagine what we could do with you."

Reactions: DANC
I would be stunned if we only win 4 games. That means we probably lose a nonconference game or home vs rutger (which could be argued as another nonconference game).

I think we win those 4, and it's not outrageous to think we can get 2 more. I say we win at least 5, prediction us 6, and 7 isn't impossible.

The young man who played Keion Brooks better than even in basketball and if he was 5 inches taller would be an NBA prospect now rather than a future NFL prospect.

With Robbins at one DE and Craig at the other, they may well set Big Ten sack records and be draft picks prior to their SR years (bad for us, GREAT for them).

I wanted to bump this as a recruiting thread because, if I recall correctly, we're now out of a 'dead period' and now in a somewhat less restrictive recruiting period....so I hope we will hear some recruiting news soon.....if anyone has anything, please post it.

I wanted to bump this as a recruiting thread because, if I recall correctly, we're now out of a 'dead period' and now in a somewhat less restrictive recruiting period....so I hope we will hear some recruiting news soon.....if anyone has anything, I please post it.
I made an entire thread dedicated to recruiting a month or two ago and was going to update it pretty much daily and just immediately had idiots call me a Notre Dame fan and say I was trolling because I posted that we missed on a couple recruits. I don't recommend posting recruiting updates on here unless you want to be called a troll and have people attacking you. A lot of posters on here don't understand how many scholarships are offered in a recruiting cycle

I made an entire thread dedicated to recruiting a month or two ago and was going to update it pretty much daily and just immediately had idiots call me a Notre Dame fan and say I was trolling because I posted that we missed on a couple recruits. I don't recommend posting recruiting updates on here unless you want to be called a troll and have people attacking you. A lot of posters on here don't understand how many scholarships are offered in a recruiting cycle

A lot of posters on here don't understand anything

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT