ADVERTISEMENT

1-5 on the road. 4 road games to go.

TR32

All-American
Nov 20, 2009
That stat alone makes Indiana's chances of getting to (an absolute minimum) of 9-9 a difficult task. They need 4 more wins:

1.) PU (truly a must-win for Crean. Looking at the remainder, it simply doesn't look possible to get to 9 conference wins if they fall to 5-7 with 4 remaining road games.

2.) UM (very winnable. Blackmon will be back and Michigan never plays defense)

Say they get to 7-6 here. It would generate a positive outlook, with a certified good conference win. Personally, I think IU matches up just fine against Purdue. Purdue is not a team that likes to run and guard the transition 3. IU can get them into an uncomfortable style of play and it is a pressure-packed home game (which, honestly has not been as big a weak spot for Crean as other areas).

3.) @ Minny. Difficult place to play. However, Minnesota has dropped 5 of their last 6 although they have had a pretty tough conference slate thus far (6 of 10 games on the road including MSU, NW, and OSU, with hame games against MD and Wisconsin.) Despite this, Minnesota really hasn't shown that they are a formidable team and they are beatable. Nonetheless, just in case IU drops one of the home contests, let's say they lose this one so that they are now 7-7 with 4 to play.

4.) @ Iowa. Iowa is also tough to beat on the road. I expect a loss here, especially coming off last year's memorable win. The Hawkeyes are a decent team and wil benefit from OG not being there to guard Jok. IU loses. 7-8.

5.) Northwestern at home. Generally, this is an easy "W", but not this year. Nonetheless, I expect a hard fought win here. 8-8.

6.) @ Purdue. No chance IU wins this game. 8-9.

7.) @OSU. It is all on the line if it comes to this. OSU has been disappointing, but they can only be expected to be dangerous considering they too have good athletic and talented players and Motta will not rest until he gets as much out of them as possible. They have 3 Big Ten home losses by a grand total of 9 points, but they have Rutgers and Nebraska at home before IU to pick up momentum. I think the pressure on Crean will be too much here and IU will fall in a desperation game.

A glass half- full approach could obviously either select this as a "W" , and/or the Iowa game. However, I think it is safe to say that 10-8 is the ceiling. Will that get them into the tourney? Yes, I suspect it will. But 9-9 is more likely which will put them squarely on the fence. 8-10 is a possibility and that would send them to the NIT.

Anything worse than what I've described and Crean will certainly be gone. I think making the tourney will matter to Glass this year.

Reactions: DotheDew12
I think this is a reasonable assessment of the remaining games, and I agree with your picks. However, I still tend to think Glass retains Crean for next year regardless of if we miss the tournament. B1G title last year and injuries this year are enough. The only way Glass ends the Crean era after this season is if this team absolutely falls apart and loses all remaining games. Even then...

I think this is a reasonable assessment of the remaining games, and I agree with your picks. However, I still tend to think Glass retains Crean for next year regardless of if we miss the tournament. B1G title last year and injuries this year are enough. The only way Glass ends the Crean era after this season is if this team absolutely falls apart and loses all remaining games. Even then...

You cannot retain Crean without an extension. Only 3 years left on the contract.

So the question for Glass will be..... fire or extend Crean?

I know I'm in the minority here but other than the game @PU I see no certain losses. That's not to say I believe we're going 6-1, because I don't think that. But 4-3 to get to 9-9 and a tourney berth is completely reasonable.

I believe we'll beat PU in AH.
I believe we'll beat UM.

That means we simply have to win 2 of the last 5. @Minny, @Iowa, @OSU, Northwestern, @PU.

Scratch @PU. Not happening

Minnesota is usually a tough place, but they're pretty bad. Iowa? Probably a loss. @OSU? Again, OSU isn't all that and they play a game to goes to our strengths. Northwestern is in AH. I could even see 3-1 here.

But in the end I'd put my cash on 9-9, and with a very soft bubble I think IU makes the tourney at around a 10 seed.

I know I'm in the minority here but other than the game @PU I see no certain losses. That's not to say I believe we're going 6-1, because I don't think that. But 4-3 to get to 9-9 and a tourney berth is completely reasonable.

I believe we'll beat UM.

That means we simply have to win 2 of the last 5. @Minny, @Iowa, @OSU, Northwestern, @PU.

Minnesota is usually a tough place, but they're pretty bad. Iowa? Probably a loss. @OSU? Again, OSU isn't all that and they play a game to goes to our strengths. Northwestern is in AH. I could even see 3-1 here.

But in the end I'd put my cash on 9-9, and with a very soft bubble I think IU makes the tourney at around a 10 seed.
I don't think we get in with a 9-9 record with how bad our OOC schedule was.

I believe we'll beat UM.

I see what you're saying but when you mention that these other teams aren't all that, my first reaction is...well, neither are we.

Getting Blackmon back would be huge as we need his scoring. But we've not been a good basketball team since November when we beat NC. So while I agree that we could win some of those road games, I feel like we are in the same group as those teams....a middle of the road, average team.

Only time will tell. Is James going to be back for the PU game?

You cannot retain Crean without an extension. Only 3 years left on the contract.

So the question for Glass will be..... fire or extend Crean?
I agree, extension or fired. Do you think Glass can give Crean a 2 or 3 year extension and keep the buyout the same? Would that be something that could be agreed upon? Could you imagine backlash from fans if he is extended and has another ridiculous buyout like he did 3 years ago. Hopefully Glass is not this stupid. I just see a negotiated part ways at the end of the season, IMO.

I don't think we get in with a 9-9 record with how bad our OOC schedule was.

It certainly wouldn't be a sure thing. But my scenario also included another win over a top 20 team. So there's that.

It seems weak around the bubble and I think .500 in the conference would do it. But I won't bet any cash on it.

I believe we'll beat UM.

Why so concerned about making the Tournament? Does anybody really believe that in doing so it somehow saves Tom? The fact that we're even having the "Indiana as a bubble team" conversation should seal his fate. I say "should" because it is Fred Glass we're talking about here. Any normal proactive forward-thinking AD would have removed him two years ago.

Simply making the Tournament shouldn't be enough. Especially as a 10 seed, or winning a play-in game, etc...
Mike Davis made the Tournament in his last year as well, and actually won a game.

If Tom wasn't extended after last season, despite winning an OUTRIGHT Big Ten Regular Season Championship and advancing to a Sweet Sixteen, even though he asked for one...I don't see how Fred can justify one after this year based on how the season has turned out. If he does, then his own employment will be put into question.

Last edited:
Reactions: T.M.P. and IU40IU
Why so concerned about making the Tournament? Does anybody really believe that in doing so it somehow saves Tom? The fact that we're even having the "Indiana as a bubble team" conversation should seal his fate. I say "should" because it is Fred Glass we're talking about here. Any normal proactive forward-thinking AD would have removed him two years ago.

Simply making the Tournament shouldn't be enough. Especially as a 10 seed, or winning a play-in game, etc...
Mike Davis made the Tournament in his last year as well, and actually won a game.

If Tom wasn't extended after last season, despite winning an OUTRIGHT Big ten Regular Season Championship and advancing to a Sweet Sixteen, even though he asked for one...I don't see how Fred can justify one after this year based on how the season has turned out. If he does, then his own employment will be put into question.

Well, my post had nothing to do with Crean or his future. I was just predicting game outcomes.

But in all honesty barring some some huge collapse or tremendous run, I'd guess that Crean's fate this year has already been determined. What that is, I have no clue. But I don't think at this point that it hinges on a random game or two.

Well, my post had nothing to do with Crean or his future. I was just predicting game outcomes.

But in all honesty barring some huge collapse or tremendous run, I'd guess that Crean's fate this year has already been determined. What that is, I have no clue. But I don't think at this point that it hinges on a random game or two.

Agreed. Like you, I believe a decision has already been made. And it was made before OG went down with his injury. I believe it's a continuation of the decision not to extend after last season. The rest of the games this season are meaningless...at least as it pertains to Tom Crean's fate at Indiana.

Reactions: hondo314
Agreed. Like you, I believe a decision has already been made. And it was made before OG went down with his injury. I believe it's a continuation of the decision not to extend after last season. The rest of the games this season are meaningless...at least as it pertains to Tom Crean's fate at Indiana.
I hope you are right but I am not real confident that it will come true.

Keeping him on more seasons will do a lot more future harm than any good it will ever do. Help is not on the way and he whiffed on every major Indiana recruit. Without an extension his recruiting is dead in the water and we are losing a ton of talent. And really for Crean himself another bad year next season will only hurt his marketability for a future job. He is best to leave before things really get bad

Reactions: BigMobe

If Tom wasn't extended after last season, despite winning an OUTRIGHT Big Ten Regular Season Championship and advancing to a Sweet Sixteen, even though he asked for one...I don't see how Fred can justify one after this year based on how the season has
turned out. If he does, then his own employment will be put into question.

Squeaking into the tourney by one game should not save his job unless we live in the world of unicorns and rainbows.

I agree, extension or fired. Do you think Glass can give Crean a 2 or 3 year extension and keep the buyout the same? Would that be something that could be agreed upon? Could you imagine backlash from fans if he is extended and has another ridiculous buyout like he did 3 years ago. Hopefully Glass is not this stupid. I just see a negotiated part ways at the end of the season, IMO.
I don't even think the buyout matters people would be furious with any sort of an extension at this point.

Keeping him on more seasons will do a lot more future harm than any good it will ever do. Help is not on the way and he whiffed on every major Indiana recruit. Without an extension his recruiting is dead in the water and we are losing a ton of talent. And really for Crean himself another bad year next season will only hurt his marketability for a future job. He is best to leave before things really get bad
Crean should have leveraged the title for a long term contract at Rutgers

Reactions: bailey777
That stat alone makes Indiana's chances of getting to (an absolute minimum) of 9-9 a difficult task. They need 4 more wins:

1.) PU (truly a must-win for Crean. Looking at the remainder, it simply doesn't look possible to get to 9 conference wins if they fall to 5-7 with 4 remaining road games.

2.) UM (very winnable. Blackmon will be back and Michigan never plays defense)

Say they get to 7-6 here. It would generate a positive outlook, with a certified good conference win. Personally, I think IU matches up just fine against Purdue. Purdue is not a team that likes to run and guard the transition 3. IU can get them into an uncomfortable style of play and it is a pressure-packed home game (which, honestly has not been as big a weak spot for Crean as other areas).

3.) @ Minny. Difficult place to play. However, Minnesota has dropped 5 of their last 6 although they have had a pretty tough conference slate thus far (6 of 10 games on the road including MSU, NW, and OSU, with hame games against MD and Wisconsin.) Despite this, Minnesota really hasn't shown that they are a formidable team and they are beatable. Nonetheless, just in case IU drops one of the home contests, let's say they lose this one so that they are now 7-7 with 4 to play.

4.) @ Iowa. Iowa is also tough to beat on the road. I expect a loss here, especially coming off last year's memorable win. The Hawkeyes are a decent team and wil benefit from OG not being there to guard Jok. IU loses. 7-8.

5.) Northwestern at home. Generally, this is an easy "W", but not this year. Nonetheless, I expect a hard fought win here. 8-8.

6.) @ Purdue. No chance IU wins this game. 8-9.

7.) @OSU. It is all on the line if it comes to this. OSU has been disappointing, but they can only be expected to be dangerous considering they too have good athletic and talented players and Motta will not rest until he gets as much out of them as possible. They have 3 Big Ten home losses by a grand total of 9 points, but they have Rutgers and Nebraska at home before IU to pick up momentum. I think the pressure on Crean will be too much here and IU will fall in a desperation game.

A glass half- full approach could obviously either select this as a "W" , and/or the Iowa game. However, I think it is safe to say that 10-8 is the ceiling. Will that get them into the tourney? Yes, I suspect it will. But 9-9 is more likely which will put them squarely on the fence. 8-10 is a possibility and that would send them to the NIT.

Anything worse than what I've described and Crean will certainly be gone. I think making the tourney will matter to Glass this year.
I would say 8-10 is the best case scenario. We will not win at Minnesota or Purdue and probably not at Iowa either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT