ADVERTISEMENT

💥 BOOM 💥

List the links. Otherwise get off the board. You don't know squat.

Good comeback. Google Brad Stevens. You complaining that IU didn't offer other coaches with NO LINKS to provide is no different. So please, leave this board as you're FOS.

Correct, this place was an embarassment throught this process.
And after this hire, many here continue to be an embarrassment. Do we have a list of all those who are doom and gloom? It would be interesting to refer back to that in a few years.

Reactions: YOTHN
Where do you get your stats? He took a 13 win Hawks team and turned them into a contender, getting more wins each season he was there and taking them to the playoffs his last 3 years. Then about 8 years ago he took over the Knicks after D'Antoni got fired and made them a 53 win team and the #2 seed in the East. THE KNICKS. You guys must not watch the NBA.
So why wasn’t he long tenured head coach instead of assistant? 3 winning seasons as a head coach out of 9 years

Former IU players are on board and excited about this hire...I'm talking successful former players.

So why wasn’t he long tenured head coach instead of assistant? 3 winning seasons as a head coach out of 9 years
I wasn't in the Hawks front office to know why. His teams in Atlanta's win totals went, 13, 26, 30, 37, 47, 53. The last 3 years all were in the playoffs and each time he went further. Why they fired him is beyond me. Then he took over the Knicks after they fired Antoni and promptly went 18-6 to finish the season. the next year they won 54 games and won the Atlantic Division and against lost in the Conference Semi's. They finished 3rd in the Atlantic the next year and the Phil Jackson fired him. Most thought he would get Steve Kerr but Golden State swooped in.

I wasn't in the Hawks front office to know why. His teams in Atlanta's win totals went, 13, 26, 30, 37, 47, 53. The last 3 years all were in the playoffs and each time he went further. Why they fired him is beyond me. Then he took over the Knicks after they fired Antoni and promptly went 18-6 to finish the season. the next year they won 54 games and won the Atlantic Division and against lost in the Conference Semi's. They finished 3rd in the Atlantic the next year and the Phil Jackson fired him. Most thought he would get Steve Kerr but Golden State swooped in.
How much does an NBA coach actually coach? Run a program? GM handles building the team and then the players handle the games. Heck you can’t hardly name nba coaches because they don’t really matter.

How much does an NBA coach actually coach? Run a program? GM handles building the team and then the players handle the games. Heck you can’t hardly name nba coaches because they don’t really matter.
Wow. I hope you are saying this sarcastically. If you can’t name many nba coaches and/or don’t think they do much then you don’t pay much attention to basketball.

Reactions: outside shooter

Wait, what? You think NBA coaches don't actually coach? Yeah, you definitely aren't an NBA fan, which is fine but that thought process is severely misguided. NBA coaches have changed the way college coaches coach the game. Colleges are trying to replicate the offenses NBA's use so having Woodson and Matta there to help guide this program is a great combo. Not a guarantee for success but nothing is. There is a lot of reasons to think Mike and the leadership are doing what is needed to turn this ship around.

Reactions: UnkaUwe
I like the idea of Mike Woodson as HC. I know a lot here aren’t thrilled, and there are some unknowns, but after reading more and considering comments others have made here, he really has a good probability to bring IU back to where we all want it. If it’s 8 years or 15 years, I don’t know. But we need somebody who can right the ship, and he is better than the majority of the candidates brought up over these past couple of weeks.

Welcome aboard, and I hope we all fully support him.
Boom!!!!

Wait, what? You think NBA coaches don't actually coach? Yeah, you definitely aren't an NBA fan, which is fine but that thought process is severely misguided. NBA coaches have changed the way college coaches coach the game. Colleges are trying to replicate the offenses NBA's use so having Woodson and Matta there to help guide this program is a great combo. Not a guarantee for success but nothing is. There is a lot of reasons to think Mike and the leadership are doing what is needed to turn this ship around.
Want to revisit this? lol

I like the idea of Mike Woodson as HC. I know a lot here aren’t thrilled, and there are some unknowns, but after reading more and considering comments others have made here, he really has a good probability to bring IU back to where we all want it. If it’s 8 years or 15 years, I don’t know. But we need somebody who can right the ship, and he is better than the majority of the candidates brought up over these past couple of weeks.

I'll give him a chance..We'll know by Christmas if he actually has a team.
If not..He'll be fired next yr..
And I know big donors who feel the same..
Another yr like this one.
It's over for him....

Want to revisit this? lol
Absolutely! You don't think NBA coaches can coach? Why are we going after Billy Donovan? The post you quoted literally says Woodson and Matta is a good combo and it was. Did you think you did something there? lol

Absolutely! You don't think NBA coaches can coach? Why are we going after Billy Donovan? The post you quoted literally says Woodson and Matta is a good combo and it was. Did you think you did something there? lol
Donovan won national titles in college before the NBA. Coaching in the NBA vs college is night and day different. Also your last line is what I’m asking if you want to revisit. “Mike and the leadership is doing what is needed to turn this ship around”
Woody is killing the program. He is lazy AF on recruiting trail.

Donovan won national titles in college before the NBA. Coaching in the NBA vs college is night and day different. Also your last line is what I’m asking if you want to revisit. “Mike and the leadership is doing what is needed to turn this ship around”
Woody is killing the program. He is lazy AF on recruiting trail.
What has before or after success in college have to do with whether an NBA coach can coach? Billy Donovan is in the NBA. Period.

Mike, Matta and Dane were doing what was needed at that time to turn this thing around. I am missing the point you're looking to make here.

• Haha
Reactions: ulrey
What has before or after success in college have to do with whether an NBA coach can coach? Billy Donovan is in the NBA. Period.

Mike, Matta and Dane were doing what was needed at that time to turn this thing around. I am missing the point you're looking to make here.
NBA coach with zero college experience was a terrible hire. That and the admin is “not” doing what is needed to turn this ship around

Where do you get your stats? He took a 13 win Hawks team and turned them into a contender, getting more wins each season he was there and taking them to the playoffs his last 3 years. Then about 8 years ago he took over the Knicks after D'Antoni got fired and made them a 53 win team and the #2 seed in the East. THE KNICKS. You guys must not watch the NBA.
If he was such a good NBA coach and did make these teams contenders…why wasn’t he more coveted as an NBA head coach?
63-40 as head coach at IU
315-365 as an NBA coach.

Yikes

Reactions: kmathum

Well I know many tried to talk themselves into the hire but it always had a very low probability of working out. It was the most baffling hire IU has ever made imo.

Reactions: CriticArisen
The guy knows how to play and coach the game. The young players in the NBA really like him which tells me he can relate to the young kids. You think he will fail because of his age? I can see a little concern around longevity, but a bunch here wanted Beilein, so that argument flies out the window. Plus if we get Matta... Who else comes as assistants? There is some major opportunity here IMO.

And recruiting? You serious? Not just what I mentioned about relating (and being respected), but you saying kids and parents won’t listen to this dude about how he is going to help them get to the NBA and what it takes? He played at the highest levels and coached at the highest levels of the game. Not a single other candidate mentioned can say that. Technically not even Brad Stevens.
Bsmitty got trashed but for the most part he has been proven right on woodson. Honestly it was not that hard to figure out. NBA guy with zero college experience come on.

I wasn't posting here then due to long lost password, but I admit I tried to be cautiously optimistic. Wondered why we couldnt have found someone proven, but wasnt too bummed.
I thought he would be able to recruit, surround himself with good coaches, teach a hard nosed defense 'Indiana way'... So I thought as poor as we'd been at picking coaches I figured 'what do we have to lose?'.
Oops.

Reactions: CriticArisen
Exactly, proof that NBA coaches can in fact, coach. You're slowly coming along.....good work.
Donovan was a highly successful college coach prior to the NBA. Woodson was a poor NBA coach who stumbled into a college gig because no one else was foolish enough to hire him. One was one of the top coaches in the NCAA. The other was a below average NBA coach. Woodson has never shown elite coaching ability anywhere. Your logic is flawed.

Maybe someone can pull up the 'Fife fired' thread.....that would be interesting.

Bsmitty got trashed but for the most part he has been proven right on woodson. Honestly it was not that hard to figure out. NBA guy with zero college experience come on.
It’s because way more coaches fail at this level. I always give them a chance but it’s easier to be right in this instance. Way more coaching failures than winners. Way more. I don’t do the I told you so sh!t.

Really...the shit show we see isn't even about Woodson....its about his replacement. At some point we are all, and I mean all have to look past Woodson...and find the guy who can replace him and the 20 years of misery he is carrying on his back. No one thinks Woodson can bring this program back. His days are numbered....and even he knows that. Who can come in behind him and turn this rudderless ship around....and point it in the right direction? IU has a generational problem to solve.....and that is uncommon on the national stage. If IU gives a damm....a big if....they are committed to landing that generational coach...who can finally fix this. It could be that it really doesn't matter to the university. That's OK too.....I have the Western Channel.

At some point we are all, and I mean all have to look past Woodson...and find the guy who can replace him
Um, reality check here, we "all" don't. Only one, or maybe two people need to finally look past him and find the right coach... Unless I missed some forum where Dolson asked me/us to help with the coach decision and search.

Um, reality check here, we "all" don't. Only one, or maybe two people need to finally look past him and find the right coach... Unless I missed some forum where Dolson asked me/us to help with the coach decision and search.
Yeah....I know...the Jim Carrey "one in a million....so you're sayin' there's a chance" quote? I know two things: There was that chance....and he didn't get the girl.

I don't know how you can find a candidate more qualified/proven to coach college basketball than Billy Donovan. I'm not saying he wants to coach college ball again or that he would be interested in IU, but damn, if he was in the driver's seat in Bloomington......

Reactions: trailrunner
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT