ADVERTISEMENT

đź’Ą BOOM đź’Ą

rocketo

All-American
Feb 23, 2007
I like the idea of Mike Woodson as HC. I know a lot here aren’t thrilled, and there are some unknowns, but after reading more and considering comments others have made here, he really has a good probability to bring IU back to where we all want it. If it’s 8 years or 15 years, I don’t know. But we need somebody who can right the ship, and he is better than the majority of the candidates brought up over these past couple of weeks.

Welcome aboard, and I hope we all fully support him.

I like the idea of Mike Woodson as HC. I know a lot here aren’t thrilled, and there are some unknowns, but after reading more and considering comments others have made here, he really has a good probability to bring IU back to where we all want it. If it’s 8 years or 15 years, I don’t know. But we need somebody who can right the ship, and he is better than the majority of the candidates brought up over these past couple of weeks.

Welcome aboard, and I hope we all fully support him.
I would rather us hired Musselman, Beard, Moser, Drew, Beilein, Oates,

We simply disagree. I’m not going to say another of those would be a disaster, but none are better IMO. Only two of those MIGHT be equal from a probability perspective in Beard and Oates. Moser, Beilein or Drew wouldn’t turn out and Musselman just ahead of those.

Reactions: YOTHN
None of them wanted to come here.
I doubt that anybody could say that definitively...especially those of us who aren’t the least bit plugged in.

I think we can take it to the bank that IU offered Brad Stevens and he declined. There was (obviously) discussion with Matta, but we don’t know the nature of it.

It seems possible now that the overture to Holtmann had at least something to do with Matta.

Beyond that, we have no idea who was contacted and what their interest level was.

Last edited:
We simply disagree. I’m not going to say another of those would be a disaster, but none are better IMO. Only two of those MIGHT be equal from a probability perspective in Beard and Oates. Moser, Beilein or Drew wouldn’t turn out and Musselman just ahead of those.
But the 63 year old guy that has never recruited or coached a college game will?

But the 63 year old guy that has never recruited or coached a college game will?
The guy knows how to play and coach the game. The young players in the NBA really like him which tells me he can relate to the young kids. You think he will fail because of his age? I can see a little concern around longevity, but a bunch here wanted Beilein, so that argument flies out the window. Plus if we get Matta... Who else comes as assistants? There is some major opportunity here IMO.

And recruiting? You serious? Not just what I mentioned about relating (and being respected), but you saying kids and parents won’t listen to this dude about how he is going to help them get to the NBA and what it takes? He played at the highest levels and coached at the highest levels of the game. Not a single other candidate mentioned can say that. Technically not even Brad Stevens.

I don’t understand this complaint. Juwan Howard is about 50....and had never recruited or coached a college game. That’s why they hired Martelli.

What exactly is the issue?

I doubt that anybody could say that definitively...especially those of us who aren’t the least bit plugged in.

I think we can take it to the bank that IU offered Brad Stevens and he declined. There was (obviously) discussion with Matta, but we don’t know the nature of it.

It seems possible now that the overture to Holtmann had at least something to do with Matta.

Beyond that, we have no idea who was contacted and what their interest level was.

I definitely did just state that definitively. If not, we'd have hired them. You guys are delusional. We've gone through many coaching changes and a lot of you are still in denial.

Reactions: milkdude
Not a single one of them knows Xs and Os better than Woodson. Nor have any of them come anywhere close to his exper in developing and working with young elite bball players. Not even close.

Dont be a tool. There are MANY links of coaches declining. Do you have a link that says they wanted to come to IU? Don't be mad because I'm right
That’s what I thought... You have nothing reliable to point to. Just BS conjecture. Like all the crap that has been going around for quite some time.

The only coach that we can confidently say declined an offer was Stevens. We can’t say that about anybody on that list.
Seems to me, based on early quotes from Dolson about NBA style offense, etc that he just may have been focused on NBA guys. I could see Stevens being top of the list with Woodson as a second option. Also, based off of his comments it seems maybe he was spending time validating Woodson and finding the right way to help him be successful.

With Matta as a resource, that is HUGE. Really interested to see who he brings in as assistant coaches.

Seems to me, based on early quotes from Dolson about NBA style offense, etc that he just may have been focused on NBA guys. I could see Stevens being top of the list with Woodson as a second option. Also, based off of his comments it seems maybe he was spending time validating Woodson and finding the right way to help him be successful.

With Matta as a resource, that is HUGE. Really interested to see who he brings in as assistant coaches.
Maybe. But then we know that IU reached out to Holtmann too. And he has no NBA pedigree.

I wonder if Matta was already bought in at that point and persuaded Dolson to gauge his interest.

Moser is Archie 2.0.

Beilein is 5 years older than Woodson and flamed out of the NBA in less than a year.

The rest of the candidates you list are just flavor-of-the-month names you recognize because of this year’s tournament field.

There’s no more guarantee that any of them would be better than Woodson.

Maybe. But then we know that IU reached out to Holtmann too. And he has no NBA pedigree.

I wonder if Matta was already bought in at that point and persuaded Dolson to gauge his interest.
It’s possible. The only thing we know is that we will likely never know the whole story. And there are so many crybabies on this board that will assume the worst and continue to bad mouth everything IU.

It was time to get the program back to its roots. It’s 15 years late and it hasn’t felt like Indiana basketball in a long time.
I see it as a benefit. I shouldn’t be surprised at all the crybabies bitching and moaning, but this board is full of them. Bringing an IU great back that actually has a pedigree doesn’t solidify the fan base? God IU “fans” (?) suck sometimes.

I bet. None of them wanted to come here. We have to get to that realization.
I’m not sure any of them where ever contacted. Beard and Drew have some baggage nobody is willing to talk about. Drew needs no introduction to our Alumni. The others? Well they might not be a fit.

Reactions: CriticArisen
I definitely did just state that definitively. If not, we'd have hired them. You guys are delusional. We've gone through many coaching changes and a lot of you are still in denial.
So, you are going to be one of the posters we are going to listen to for the next 6 months preach doom and gloom before Woodson has coached one game? And then for his tenure hope for his failure so one day you can be correct?

I'm going to see what he does first with the roster in the next couple of months and then see how we play in the fall. I will not predict failure without cause. There is no reason to hate Woodson on the day he was hired.

Dont be a tool. There are MANY links of coaches declining. Do you have a link that says they wanted to come to IU? Don't be mad because I'm right.
"many"?? Then you won't have any issues finding multiple links for all six.

It's certainly a risk. There's no denying that. I'm not willing to say whether the Woodson/Matta partnership will succeed or fail. I'd say the jury will be out until we see the 2021-22 team play a few Big Ten games. I'm hoping like hell Woodson wins at a high level sooner rather than later so we can all metaphorically stuff Gary Parrish and Jeff Goodman in a locker.

Actual success as a coach??

Where do you get your stats? He took a 13 win Hawks team and turned them into a contender, getting more wins each season he was there and taking them to the playoffs his last 3 years. Then about 8 years ago he took over the Knicks after D'Antoni got fired and made them a 53 win team and the #2 seed in the East. THE KNICKS. You guys must not watch the NBA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT