ADVERTISEMENT

Would you vote for a political candidate based on a mutual sports team relationship?

TexasPaul

All-American
Apr 14, 2005
HTX
Would you vote for a political candidate based on a mutual sports relationship? Why Yes or Why No? Does sports have the power to change voting behaviors? Also, what the candidates opponent was a fan of your rivals fan base?

For example, you love the same sports team as that candidate; however, you have a difference of opinion on political parties and a few issues.

TP

I can't imagine someone's favorite team would affect my vote. However, that doesn't mean the two aren't somehow related.

I remember doing a lot of research about Bush winning Ohio in 2004. One of the things I read, which I hope is true, because it's just brilliant, is that they got their hands on some research that said college football fans were slightly more conservative, while NFL football fans were slightly more liberal. So one of the ways they decided which doors to knock when directing GOTV efforts in purple neighborhoods was based on what was on display. If an OSU flag was in the yard, they knocked. If a Browns flag was flying, they skipped it.

That's not quite the same thing, but interesting, I think. Not even sports happen in a total vacuum.

Reactions: TexasPaul
I can't imagine someone's favorite team would affect my vote. However, that doesn't mean the two aren't somehow related.

I remember doing a lot of research about Bush winning Ohio in 2004. One of the things I read, which I hope is true, because it's just brilliant, is that they got their hands on some research that said college football fans were slightly more conservative, while NFL football fans were slightly more liberal. So one of the ways they decided which doors to knock when directing GOTV efforts in purple neighborhoods was based on what was on display. If an OSU flag was in the yard, they knocked. If a Browns flag was flying, they skipped it.

That's not quite the same thing, but interesting, I think. Not even sports happen in a total vacuum.
Interesting point GOAT!

TP

Weird. I always thought college vrads were usually more liberal. Better educated is normally socially liberal.

Good grassroots effort - that. Assuming, of course, that the underlying research showed that and it obviously did. its done hundreds of ways, but that is probably for another thread.

A large percentage of voters are spectators rooting for their team (Dem or Pub) to win. Here at the Wager Cooler, the percentage is obviously higher judging from their posts, though many will deny that when directly challenged.

Party platforms are not nearly as coherent with reality as their proponents seem to think. One of the big problems with politics in the US.

I would speculate that a relatively small percentage of "independents" are actually independent.

Would you vote for a political candidate based on a mutual sports relationship? Why Yes or Why No? Does sports have the power to change voting behaviors? Also, what the candidates opponent was a fan of your rivals fan base?

For example, you love the same sports team as that candidate; however, you have a difference of opinion on political parties and a few issues.

TP
Didn't SNL used to do skits where Hillary would talk about the Yankees while growing up a Cubs fan? At least my memory tells me I saw it. I would not vote for someone because of their sports affiliation. My oldest daughter is engaged to a guy who is an Ohio State fan. I won't kick him to the curb for it, though he probably will give me the business during football season. Them OSU football fans can be quite annoying.

Good grassroots effort - that. Assuming, of course, that the underlying research showed that and it obviously did. its done hundreds of ways, but that is probably for another thread.
Yeah, but what Bush/Rove did was new to politics. They specifically targeted individual houses within purple neighborhoods. They changed the game. It was brilliant politicking. I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that, had they not done that, it's at least very possible Kerry would have been President.

Mad props where mad props is due, so to speak. Rove and his team changed campaigning.

TP

I wouldn't vote for someone just because they were an IU fan, but I'd damn sure vote against someone who was a UK fan.

A large percentage of voters are spectators rooting for their team (Dem or Pub) to win. Here at the Wager Cooler, the percentage is obviously higher judging from their posts, though many will deny that when directly challenged.

Party platforms are not nearly as coherent with reality as their proponents seem to think. One of the big problems with politics in the US.

I would speculate that a relatively small percentage of "independents" are actually independent.

I don't think either party is particularly well liked by their members. Leadership especially. It's not really cheering dor your team, but rather pushing the goal post more toward your extremist views. (On either side of the aisle) I mean the Tea Party is a perfect example of this. They could care less about who had an R next to their name, but they were all republicans.

I'm assuming it has to do with how many fans weren't actually educated, compared to the blue collar union appeal of the NFL.
Are you sure it wasn't data specific to Ohio, rather than college vs. NFL fans? OSU has what I consider an inordinate number of white, blue collar fans, a lot of whom never went to college let alone attended OSU. Were it not for an expected faculty revolt, Rush Limbaugh probably would have dotted the I at halftime at least a couple of times by now.

I'm sure there are other schools with a similar fan base (e.g., down south, or Notre Dame), but I've always found it a little unusual. It probably stems, in part, from the fact that there is only one major college football team in Ohio. Although with the recent success of Cincinnati in football that's changing a little bit, I suppose, at least in SW Ohio. (There was a big uproar in town a few months ago when Urban Meyer threw out the first pitch at a Reds game on OSU night. Heck, Meyer was boo'd rather loudly at the celebrity softball game All-Star weekend.)

As for the Browns fans, most Republicans are smart enough to have moved on to become Steelers (or Bengals) fans by now. :)

Yeah, but what Bush/Rove did was new to politics. They specifically targeted individual houses within purple neighborhoods. They changed the game. It was brilliant politicking. I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that, had they not done that, it's at least very possible Kerry would have been President.

Mad props where mad props is due, so to speak. Rove and his team changed campaigning.
A couple examples that go to positive or negative campaign communications. There are list of people who subscribe to/engage in all sorts of things - outdoor living, Airstream trailer owners, travelers, golfers, etc., etc., etc. What is known about those represented demographics and thousands of others is virtually how they will vote IF they can be enticed to vote. So, you reach them directly - mail, phone, e-mail, face to face. When you get them contacted you follow them. Identify their voting predisposition based upon their interests and you'll get their vote. Then during voting, you literally track them until they vote, reminders, offers of a ride to the polls. Its super targeting your likely voters. IT works. Obama's 2008 campaign did it best - so far

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT