ADVERTISEMENT

Well, the refs aren’t gonna help much

PUke will always be PUke. Edey covers up for a lot of weakness. This game showcased just how weak the 2 Sophomore guards are. Next year will be a long season for them. Watching before our eyes 'little brother' transitioning to "little sister".
Remember FDU!

PUke will always be PUke. Edey covers up for a lot of weakness. This game showcased just how weak the 2 Sophomore guards are. Next year will be a long season for them. Watching before our eyes 'little brother' transitioning to "little sister".
Remember FDU!
Loyer was horrible. Smith faded in 2nd half. Just like pretty much all guards did against UConn. Smith is really, really good. UConn is just playing historically good right now defensively.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Spinning and displacing with his shoulder is a foul.

Left arm on the shoulder and reaching over to tap a rebound away is a foul.
Purdue only shot 15 FT. They didn't give them the ticky-tack bullshit they were getting all season. UConn did a great job only allowing PU to get 7 threes... and only hitting 1.

Painter plays inside out, he sucks .... He should have ran a better offense for his many shooters... lol.

Dont forget Edey is allowed to camp out all night in the lane! Every single possession he’s in there 3 or more seconds! Castle is hurting Uconn too! Making some bad decisions offensively!

Actually Edey does a great job of not staying in the lane. He straddles the lane line and lifts his inside the lane foot up a lot. That lift starts a new count. And with such long legs, he covers half the lane.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
First time all year Edey has gone up against a defender who is in the same stratosphere size wise. Because of that UConn was able to play single coverage and run Purdue’s shooters off the line the entire night. Takes me back to the (not) controversial thread I started a few weeks back about Edey. His size is 1000% his biggest attribute and it’s not particularly close. We all just saw how reliant Purdue’s supporting cast is on Edey.

First time all year Edey has gone up against a defender who is in the same stratosphere size wise. Because of that UConn was able to play single coverage and run Purdue’s shooters off the line the entire night. Takes me back to the (not) controversial thread I started a few weeks back about Edey. His size is 1000% his biggest attribute and it’s not particularly close. We all just saw how reliant Purdue’s supporting cast is on Edey.
Hard to argue that after what transpired tonight.

UConn hit 6 three’s and shot 27% and shot poorly from the perimeter for most the tournament. But the size of their guards and their ability to get downhill and score at the rim should be a wake up call to all the posters downplaying any sub 40% guard we’re looking at in the portal. Need the Carlyle and Perkins type guards in a bad way.

Coach Painter said that lack of 3 pt shooting hurt PU. They basically shut down everyone else and Edey ended up with 37.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Did anyone count…. How many times last night did Edey drop a should or use his elbow/arm to push his defender back, to clear space, to take his shot?

Or again… how many times he draped his elbow over his defenders shoulder to hold them down, while he rebounded with his other arm.

These were the calls that the refs didn’t make, that would have evened up the fouls between Edey and the other two Bigs for UCONN that one fouled out and the other 4 fouls.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
Purdue only shot 15 FT. They didn't give them the ticky-tack bullshit they were getting all season. UConn did a great job only allowing PU to get 7 threes... and only hitting 1.

Painter plays inside out, he sucks .... He should have ran a better offense for his many shooters... lol.
Since you brought it up...

Painter's offense is a series of plays, designed mainly to get Edey the ball in the post, but also with quite a lot of variation and movement for guys off Edey to end up in positions where they can also get open looks.

They noticeably stagnated last night in the second half. When they went down 9-10...they should have forced a more outside approach with the bevy of plays Painter always has in his arsenal.

They even went longer than normal stretches without Smith dribbling around off of illegal Edey ball screens. And opted to just dump it down to a pinning Edey.

They likely weren't going to beat this UConn team regardless...but for whatever reason, and maybe it was as simple as UConn just took everything away...but for some reason, they went away from their normal off the ball actions last night, largely.

Coach Painter said that lack of 3 pt shooting hurt PU. They basically shut down everyone else and Edey ended up with 37.
And that 37 is gravely misleading. Edey scored 16 of his 37 points after the final two media timeouts (in which Purdue trailed 59-42) with 6-8 190 lb Alex Karaban guarding him and the game no longer in doubt. Simply put, Edey earned every point prior to that with Clingan guarding him 1v1 who made him work every trip down. Edey was visibly exhausted and frustrated after the first media TO in the 2nd half and was really a non-factor after that. Whole different ballgame when you can't drop step and put your shoulder into a 6'9 220 lb defender for 40 minutes. Completely wrecked any game plan Painter had for this game.

And that 37 is gravely misleading. Edey scored 16 of his 37 points after the final two media timeouts (in which Purdue trailed 59-42) with 6-8 190 lb Alex Karaban guarding him and the game no longer in doubt. Simply put, Edey earned every point prior to that with Clingan guarding him 1v1 who made him work every trip down. Edey was visibly exhausted and frustrated after the first media TO in the 2nd half and was really a non-factor after that. Whole different ballgame when you can't drop step and put your shoulder into a 6'9 220 lb defender for 40 minutes. Completely wrecked any game plan Painter had for this game.
“Edey was visibly exhausted and frustrated”

Probably more frustrated because the refs weren’t calling fouls on his defenders, like he was used to during the B1G season by B1G refs.

Looking at his stats…. A lot of Edeys points were also in free throws during the regular season, because he was babied by the refs.

Hurley acts like a wild man on the court but his team is wildly well coached. They make such a good decisions.
Maybe, but I understood why he was mad, because it's frustrated me all season how they ignore fouls on the biggest, strongest, most physical guy on the court, but call them on his defenders. There were probably 11-12 fouls called on UConn's post guys, who were being coached not to hack and just play position D and make him score over you and only called 3 on Edey who is trying to play as physically as he can and never has to worry about fouls. When Hurley was up and going crazy in the first half it was generally after an uncalled foul on Edey. The first one was an over the back they didn't call and the second 2X were on physical screens. It would make me crazy too.

PS, his first foul (5 minutes or so into the 2nd half mind you!) he trucked one of the UConn guards (think it was Spencer) and by his reaction for a moment, I thought they were calling it on the UConn guy, and after this year, I'd have not been surprised!

Last edited:
Maybe, but I understood why he was mad, because it's frustrated me all season how they ignore fouls on the biggest, strongest, most physical guy on the court, but call them on his defenders. There were probably 11-12 fouls called on UConn's post guys, who were being coached not to hack and just play position D and make him score over you and only called 3 on Edey who is trying to play as physically as he can and never has to worry about fouls. When Hurley was up and going crazy in the first half it was generally after an uncalled foul on Edey. The first one was an over the back they didn't call and the second 2X were on physical screens. It would make me crazy too.
Finally this nightmare is over.

• Love
Reactions: kkott
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT