ADVERTISEMENT

"Watch lists"

IUNY

Freshman
Sep 8, 2013
Is there really a point to these things? Every position on the field seems to have a watch list. Just say who won the award after the season. But they report these announcements on the various Hoosier websites. I don't know, maybe it's because it's a slow news cycle in the summer. The bottom line is, it's great if an individual player wins an award. But it's better if he does it on a ranked team, not one with a losing record.

Reactions: ESalum86
If we got rid of anything that didn't really have a point, then sports writers would be bored and fans would have even less to discuss in the offseason.

It also helps programs build up hype for the season and goes well with the hype pieces that get fans excited and buying tickets.

I like hype. Hype offers hope, hiding inadequacies until the BS it really was is exposed by season’s end, if not sooner. This is the hype of what appears to be IU football from my stance of 60+ years hoping, different than the hype of say, Ohio State. Their hype is real. Their hype is hope fulfilled.

Watch lists are a great "barometer" for guys who have been working towards a dream their entire lives. Position group recognition is probably a bit overstated, but you don't win it if they are not watching you. Today's Reese's Senior Bowl watch list comes directly from the most significant senior bowl out there. So yeah...it's a big deal (and almost assures them invitations for other senior bowls).

Now these guys have to go earn their spots.

Watch lists are a great "barometer" for guys who have been working towards a dream their entire lives. Position group recognition is probably a bit overstated, but you don't win it if they are not watching you. Today's Reese's Senior Bowl watch list comes directly from the most significant senior bowl out there. So yeah...it's a big deal (and almost assures them invitations for other senior bowls).

Now these guys have to go earn their spots.
I agree with you DThompson that these are nice for recognition but they need to earn the spot at the end of the season.

I’m in between. I don’t think they’re totally worthless because it’s recognition of who they think has potential to be a star this season. The majority of these guys are 3* prospects, so it can give them that recognition that they’re excelling beyond what they were “supposed” to.

I also think the lists are so expansive at the beginning of the season that it’s not as big an honor as, say, preseason AA. Either way, you’ve been noticed, now get after it and go get the real thing.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Watch lists are for awards that will presumably be voted on, so that the people who are voting can hopefully vote intelligenty (ie see all the top candidates). That’s the primary purpose.

A side benefit is that they come with some of their own cred.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT