ADVERTISEMENT

The penumbras and emanations of Citizens United

Rockfish1

Hall of Famer
Sep 2, 2001
Writing at Ten Miles Square, historian and journalist Rick Perlstein rips the shoddy, uninformative work most political reporters do, then explains what he thinks is the real story of the Republican presidential primary:

The bottom line is that the penumbras and emanations of Citizens United are changing the campaign game in ways that throw all previous understandings of how Republicans nominate presidents into a cocked hat. To see how it’s working on the ground, come with me to Southern California, where last year David and Charles Koch convened one of their dog-and-pony shows, where the aspirants lined up to stand on their hind legs to beg before their would-be masters. Politico spoke to two people who were there, and offered the following account of the performance of Ohio’s Governor John Kasich.

“Randy Kendrick, a major contributor and the wife of Ken Kendrick, the owner of the Arizona Diamondbacks, rose to say she disagreed with Kasich’s decision to expand Medicaid coverage, and questioned why he’d said it was ‘what God wanted.’” Kasich’s “fiery” response: “I don’t know about you, lady. But when I get to the pearly gates, I’m going to have to answer what I’ve done for the poor.”

Other years, before other audiences, such public piety might have sounded banal. This year, it’s enough to kill a candidacy:

“About 20 audience members walked out of the room, and two governors also on the panel, Nikki Haley of South Carolina and Bobby Jindal of Louisiana, told Kasich they disagreed with him. The Ohio governor has not been invited back to a Koch seminar.”
Which is, of course, astonishing. But even more astonishing was the lesson the Politico drew from it—one, naturally, about personalities: “Kasich’s temper has made it harder to endear himself to the GOP’s wealth benefactors.” His temper. Not their temper. Not, say, “Kasich’s refusal to kowtow before the petulant whims of a couple of dozen greedy nonentities who despise the Gospel of Jesus Christ has foreclosed his access to the backroom cabals without which a Republican presidential candidacy is inconceivable.”

To see how consequential the handing over of this kind of power to nonentities like these is, consider the candidates’ liabilities with another constituency once considered relevant in presidential campaigns: voters. Chris Christie’s home state approval rating, alongside his opening of a nearly billion-dollar hole in New Jersey’s budget, is 35 percent. While Christie has only flirted with federal law enforcement, Rick Perry has been indicted. Scott Walker’s approval rating among the people who know him best (besides David Koch) is 41 percent, and only 40 percent of Wisconsinites believe the state is heading in the right direction. Bobby Jindal’s latest approval rating in the Pelican State is 27 percent. Senator Lindsey Graham announced his presidency by all but promising he’d take the country to war; Jeb Bush by telling Americans they need to work more. Rick Santorum not so long ago made political history: he lost his Senate seat by 19 points, an unprecedented feat for a two-term incumbent.

That political facts this blunt are no longer disqualifying for presidential candidates is a sort of revolution.
If the winnowing of front-runners from also-rans has traditionally been a financial process (when the money dries up, so do the campaigns) Sheldon Adelson of Las Vegas and Macau began tearing up that paradigm in 2012 by shoveling money to Newt Gingrich; $20 million total, including $5 million dispensed on March 23, three days after Gingrich won 8 percent in Illinois’s primary to Mitt Romney’s 47 percent, keeping Gingrich officially in the race more than a week after the RNC declared Romney the presumptive nominee.

Now, four previously unheard of super-PACS supporting Ted Cruz, who has no support among the GOP’s “establishment,” raised $31 million “with virtually no warning over the course of several days beginning Monday.” The New York Times reported this shortly after reporting that “[t]he leader of the Federal Election Commission, the agency charged with regulating the way political money is raised and spent, says she has largely given up hope of reigning in abuses in the 2016 presidential campaign, which could generate a record $10 billion in spending.”

The Koch Brothers, you can learn if you take a deep enough dive into the relatively obscure precincts of campaign coverage, are battling to take over a major functions of the Republicans National Committee.

And all this, admittedly, gets reported, in bits and pieces. But all this noise doesn’t amount to an ongoing story by which citizens can understand what is actually going on. Not just concerning who might be our next president, but what it all means for the republic. And not just concerning the candidates, but the behind-the-scenes string-pullers whose names, really, should be almost as familiar to us as Mr. Bush, Mr. Rubio, and, God forbid, Dr. Carson.

Instead, we get the same old hackneyed horse race—like, did you know that Rick Santorum is in trouble? Only one voter showed up at his June 8 event in Hamlin, Iowa. The Des Moines Register reported that. Politico made sure that tout Washington knew it. Though neither mentioned that Santorum is still doing just fine with the one voter the matters: Foster Friess, the Wyoming financier who gave his super-PAC $6.7 million in 2012, and promises something similar this year. “He has the best chance of winning,” Friess said. “I can’t imagine why anybody would not vote for him.’’ Which, considering only 2 percent of New Hampshirites and Iowans agree with him, is kind of crazy. And you’d think having people like that picking the people who govern us would all be rather newsworthy.

You’d be right.

Just don’t expect to read anything about it in Politico.
Money has always had an outsized influence in politics, but Citizens United opened the floodgates. Particularly for Republicans, shadowy, unaccountable, and sometimes loopy plutocrats now play a huge role in the selection of presidential candidates. Does anyone think this is a good thing?

Last edited:
Reactions: johnsos
I think it's what we ask for -- indeed, command -- by having a government that is such an outsize influence in our economy.

If we want to make the commodity of political influence worth less money, we need to limit the influence that politics has over money.

They go hand-in-hand. And we can't desire the latter without accepting the former as a wholly predictable side effect.

How is this much different to prior generations, where party elders pretty much hand picked the nominees. I think an argument can be made, considering we're up to 16 candidates, that it's easier, not harder, for a small moneyed candidate to run today than prior generations. Just look at what the Pauls have managed to pull off over the last 8 years. Unthinkable 40 years ago.

Not sure I understand or agree with his post. Ted Cruz just got a lot of money even though he isn't the republican establishment. That's a good thing. Donald Trump is leading the polls and he isn't republican establishment and isn't getting huge SuperPac money he's financing it on his own.

This will be the most refreshing and entertaining campaign season in decades. Both parties are bringing many candidates to the table and both races are wide open. The big money is picking several different candidates rather than concentrating it in the hands of 1 hopeful. It's gonna be entertaining that's for sure. Can't wait until next Thursday nite.

Not sure I understand or agree with his post. Ted Cruz just got a lot of money even though he isn't the republican establishment. That's a good thing. Donald Trump is leading the polls and he isn't republican establishment and isn't getting huge SuperPac money he's financing it on his own.

This will be the most refreshing and entertaining campaign season in decades. Both parties are bringing many candidates to the table and both races are wide open. The big money is picking several different candidates rather than concentrating it in the hands of 1 hopeful. It's gonna be entertaining that's for sure. Can't wait until next Thursday nite.

Not sure Cruz is a great example. You're right that he's despised by the political establishment on both sides of the aisle. But I saw where he just raked in a big Super PAC donation from billionaire fracking brothers in Texas. Without that, I suspect his campaign would have trouble even getting out of the starting gate.

Personally, I like that aspect of the new world of campaign finance. This allows somebody beyond the political establishment -- and the money that goes along with it -- to make a mark they otherwise couldn't make.

But, in addition to Trump (who, let's face it, is pretty rare as a self-funder), Bernie Sanders is making a splash in the Democratic primaries...not only eschewing big political money, but running against it. Of course, if he gets the nomination, he'd have no choice but to acquiesce on that.

All that said, it's not as if big money in politics is a newfound thing in the wake of Citizens United. How much did Obama and McCain raise and spend in 2008, pre-CU?

It would be interesting to chart the growth of the public sector against the growth of campaign spending over the past 100 years or so. I strongly suspect we'd see a clear correlation.

Not sure Cruz is a great example. You're right that he's despised by the political establishment on both sides of the aisle. But I saw where he just raked in a big Super PAC donation from billionaire fracking brothers in Texas. Without that, I suspect his campaign would have trouble even getting out of the starting gate.

Personally, I like that aspect of the new world of campaign finance. This allows somebody beyond the political establishment -- and the money that goes along with it -- to make a mark they otherwise couldn't make.

But, in addition to Trump (who, let's face it, is pretty rare as a self-funder), Bernie Sanders is making a splash in the Democratic primaries...not only eschewing big political money, but running against it. Of course, if he gets the nomination, he'd have no choice but to acquiesce on that.

All that said, it's not as if big money in politics is a newfound thing in the wake of Citizens United. How much did Obama and McCain raise and spend in 2008, pre-CU?

It would be interesting to chart the growth of the public sector against the growth of campaign spending over the past 100 years or so. I strongly suspect we'd see a clear correlation.
That was my point, Ted Cruz was able to rake even though he isn't the establishment and not a front runner. My hope is we don't end up with Bush vs Clinton. I don't understand the bloggers post, is he saying that he would rather money be concentrated within the establishment or was he saying it's the Wild West for the republican nominee?

How is this much different to prior generations, where party elders pretty much hand picked the nominees. I think an argument can be made, considering we're up to 16 candidates, that it's easier, not harder, for a small moneyed candidate to run today than prior generations. Just look at what the Pauls have managed to pull off over the last 8 years. Unthinkable 40 years ago.

I'm not sure what you mean by "small moneyed" candidates. Thanks to citizens United all the candidates can now have their own personal billionaire sponsor and just keep going no matter how bad they're doing. It used to be we pretty much knew who the candidates would be after Iowa and New Hampshire. It used to be if you did poorly in either of these states your campaign manager would just tell you "look, I can't get anymore money for you. The donors are backing stronger candidates now." Now the money is unlimited and people can just run til they simply don't feel like it anymore. Citizens united fundamentally changed how our elections work. "Small moneyed" candidates are a thing of the past.

That was my point, Ted Cruz was able to rake even though he isn't the establishment and not a front runner. My hope is we don't end up with Bush vs Clinton. I don't understand the bloggers post, is he saying that he would rather money be concentrated within the establishment or was he saying it's the Wild West for the republican nominee?

I think he's saying that the advent of unlimited cash makes it so that candidates -- establishment or not -- are largely, if not wholly, "owned" by a very small number of donors.

Granted, there's a formal distinction between a candidate and an affiliated Super PAC. But I don't think anybody could argue that it's a substantial one.

It's a fair enough point. But I still don't think he hits the real nub of the issue. There's so much money in politics because there's so much politics in money. So long as the latter is the case, the former will be as well....in whatever form it takes.

I just don't have much sympathy for people who (ostensibly, anyway) like having politics so involved in money, but decry having money so involved in politics. The notion that we could have one without the other is naïve.

Thanks to citizens United all the candidates can now have their own personal billionaire sponsor and just keep going no matter how bad they're doing.

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, myself. I'm inclined to think it's actually more of a good thing.

But, that said, you have to wonder about the intelligence of a wealthy patron throwing oodles of money at an obvious also-ran. But, even then, they may have their reasons.

Why shouldn't, for instance, Tom Steyer be able to use his money to advocate for candidates who promise to pursue policies combatting climate change?

In any case, what harm do you see in a billionaire giving a loser candidate lots of money? I'd think we'd be more concerned about this in the case of a victor.

I'm not sure what you mean by "small moneyed" candidates. Thanks to citizens United all the candidates can now have their own personal billionaire sponsor and just keep going no matter how bad they're doing. It used to be we pretty much knew who the candidates would be after Iowa and New Hampshire. It used to be if you did poorly in either of these states your campaign manager would just tell you "look, I can't get anymore money for you. The donors are backing stronger candidates now." Now the money is unlimited and people can just run til they simply don't feel like it anymore. Citizens united fundamentally changed how our elections work. "Small moneyed" candidates are a thing of the past.

This is very inaccurate. I gave you the example of the Pauls, neither Ron or Rand has a billionaire sponsor. And yes, many who do poorly will drop out quickly, if they even make it to the first contests. Billionaires didn't become billionaires by throwing away money on losing investments.

Also, nobody has explained how this is any different than party elders picking nominees in dark, smoke filled rooms in generations prior.

So you want a large amount of money concentrated in the hands of a few rather than large money giving outsider candidates a chance? Are you advocating for aristocracy? We don't have Kings and Lords in this country, if we limit the money that can support a candidate we would be a Kingdom. Is that what you want?

I have a hard time believing big money from rich individuals is going into politics because politics influences how the federal government spends its money. Heck, only about 20% of the money government spends is discretionary.

Granted politics could influence how federal regulations and laws are written. However, even here the bureaucrats who enforce laws and regulations can always trump big donors. On top of that, groups such as National Association of Manufacturers and labor unions contribute to thousands of lobbyists whose daily presence in the offices of politicians and their staffs have a tremendous influence on how bills are written and enforced.

In my opinion the smart big money by individuals is more wisely spent at the state level by influencing state legislatures and state elections. These expenditures don't get national media attention or much attention by the state and local media. Nevertheless, the state level is where the bang for the buck by big donors is.

I have a hard time believing big money from rich individuals is going into politics because politics influences how the federal government spends its money. Heck, only about 20% of the money government spends is discretionary.

"Only 20%" of $4 trillion is $800 billion....per year. Compare that to how much is being spent on buying influence.

There's a wealthy businessman in my neck of the woods named Steve Chancellor. He has long been deeply involved in political fundraising -- mostly for Republicans, but he's also donated/raised money for Evan Bayh and a few other local Democrats. He's held fundraisers at his (incredible) house for Dole, GWB, and Romney.

His money primarily comes from two sources: coal (from which he's now divested) and as a defense contractor (Ameriqual Foods). Shortly after 9/11, you may have read that strings had to be pulled to get George HW Bush back into the country -- he'd been on a hunting trip in Spain with King Juan Carlos, Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf, and RMK. The guy who arranged that trip, and furnished transport on his Gulfstream, was Chancellor.

It's no accident that Chancellor has so many "friends" in politics and the defense establishment.

That said, it's not only the direct pursuit of taxpayer dollars that drives this...

Granted politics could influence how federal regulations and laws are written.

...it's this, too. And I'd say that "could" is an awfully weak term to use here. For instance, one of the biggest spending lobbying groups is trial lawyers. And it makes sense that they are -- because of tort policies and such. Their livelihood is largely tied up in politics. And they are far from the only ones where this is the case.

My point on this is not simply that people are looking for government money. They are, of course. But it's the whole kit and caboodle: regulations, whether or not tort reform will happen (and, if it does, what form it will take), tax laws, trade policies, immigration policies, labor policy, etc. All of these, and more that I didn't list, add up to a massive presence of government policy in our economy. And this is almost entirely the reason that so much is spent on buying political influence.

I don't even think most people alive today could imagine a situation where government didn't have the economic gravity that it does. But, rest assured, it hasn't always been this way. And I don't think we're better off for it.

In my opinion the smart big money by individuals is more wisely spent at the state level by influencing state legislatures and state elections. These expenditures don't get national media attention or much attention by the state and local media. Nevertheless, the state level is where the bang for the buck by big donors is.

Is it an either/or thing? And is one better than the other?

Granted, if given a choice between this center of gravity residing in Washington or residing in Indianapolis and the other 49 state capitals, I'd far prefer the latter. But it still strikes me as a frying-pan-into-the-fire situation.

Anyway, the bottom line is: so long as our government (federal, state, or otherwise) plays such an outsize role in influencing economic outcomes, we should simply accept that the commodity of political influence will trade at a commensurate premium.

Granted politics could influence how federal regulations and laws are written. However, even here the bureaucrats who enforce laws and regulations can always trump big donors. On top of that, groups such as National Association of Manufacturers and labor unions contribute to thousands of lobbyists whose daily presence in the offices of politicians and their staffs have a tremendous influence on how bills are written and enforced.

In many cases, hoot, the money is spent to change the amount of money that is discretionary.

hootch1, many of the big money donors talk about changing the federal government's spending and reducing the size of government, but the spending pie chart remains rather constant. To date, their guys get elected but still nothing much changes.

20130206064850!U.S._Federal_Spending_-_FY_2011.png

This is very inaccurate. I gave you the example of the Pauls, neither Ron or Rand has a billionaire sponsor. And yes, many who do poorly will drop out quickly, if they even make it to the first contests. Billionaires didn't become billionaires by throwing away money on losing investments.

Also, nobody has explained how this is any different than party elders picking nominees in dark, smoke filled rooms in generations prior.

Nah, it's actually very accurate, but you're free to disagree. That's how a lot of these guys can stay in races so long now. Ask billionaire Sheldon Adelson if the $92 million he put behind losing candidates in 2012 took any meals off his table. We're talking BILLIONAIRES here. $92 million isn't shit to these guys. Adelson could spend that amount 30 times over and still have a couple billion left.

So you want a large amount of money concentrated in the hands of a few rather than large money giving outsider candidates a chance? Are you advocating for aristocracy? We don't have Kings and Lords in this country, if we limit the money that can support a candidate we would be a Kingdom. Is that what you want?

Oh. My. God.

Oh. My. God.
Yup! Those horrid big donors like the Koch's - in 48th place. Here's the top 100. Note that 7 of the top ten gave 97% or more of their contributions to Democrat over the period 2002-2014. Those 7 totaled $770,984,416. I have yet to hear one objection from any quarter here or media - about the excesses of union expenditures. Folks the evil Koch brothers are 48th on this list and it comes from Open Secrets. Those 7 gave 27.5 times as much as the Koch'. What should we do with those huge givers? BTW, the 7 make virtually nothing in charitable contributions compared to the Koch's.

Find Your Representatives
Top Organization Contributors
Totals on this page reflect donations from employees of the organization, its PAC and in some cases its own treasury. These totals include all campaign contributions to federal candidates, parties, political action committees (including superPACs), federal 527 organizations, and Carey committees. The totals do not include contributions to 501(c) organizations, whose political spending has increased markedly in recent cycles. Unlike other political organizations, they are not required to disclose the corporate and individual donors that make their spending possible. Only contributions to Democrats and Republicans or liberal and conservative outside groups are included in calculating the percentages the donor has given to either party.

NOTE: Federal law prohibits the use of contributor information for the purpose of soliciting contributions or for any commercial purpose.

Election cycle:

Rank
Organization
Total Contributions
Total Hard Money
Total Soft Money
To Dems & Liberals
To Repubs & Conservs
Pct to Dems & Liberals
Pct to Repubs & Conservs

1 Service Employees International Union $222,434,657 $23,306,001 $199,128,656 $220,687,443 $1,294,019 99% 1%
2 ActBlue $160,637,963 $159,147,289 $1,490,674 $160,395,135 $59,727 100% 0%
3 American Fedn of St/Cnty/Munic Employees $93,830,657 $36,793,843 $57,036,814 $92,879,550 $658,305 99% 1%
4 National Education Assn $92,972,656 $33,238,483 $59,734,173 $88,879,720 $3,236,859 97% 4%
5 Fahr LLC $75,289,659 $157,867 $75,131,792 $75,289,659 $0 100% 0%
6 American Federation of Teachers $69,757,113 $28,348,966 $41,408,147 $68,983,796 $349,250 100% 1%
7 Las Vegas Sands $69,440,942 $3,830,436 $65,610,506 $10,950 $69,410,411 0% 100%
8 National Assn of Realtors $68,683,359 $49,421,793 $19,261,566 $24,795,810 $26,378,703 49% 52%
9 Carpenters & Joiners Union $67,778,534 $27,882,152 $39,896,382 $63,242,362 $4,399,797 94% 7%
10 Intl Brotherhood of Electrical Workers $63,572,836 $40,830,429 $22,742,407 $62,383,263 $966,973 99% 2%
11 United Food & Commercial Workers Union $63,229,927 $25,860,100 $37,369,827 $62,777,661 $299,650 100% 1%
12 AT&T Inc $61,004,110 $46,854,458 $14,149,652 $25,309,005 $35,544,662 42% 58%
13 Laborers Union $57,644,241 $33,524,396 $24,119,845 $50,000,800 $3,419,210 94% 6%
14 Perry Homes $55,482,749 $1,651,050 $53,831,699 $22,300 $55,190,449 0% 100%
15 Goldman Sachs $52,230,718 $44,692,898 $7,537,820 $27,906,545 $24,247,373 54% 47%
16 American Assn for Justice $48,004,160 $38,939,960 $9,064,200 $44,403,893 $3,454,417 93% 7%
17 Contran Corp $45,763,122 $6,955,089 $38,808,033 $650,968 $45,010,004 1% 99%
18 AFL-CIO $45,587,534 $18,435,430 $27,152,104 $44,034,691 $1,131,851 98% 3%
19 Soros Fund Management $44,442,608 $3,451,958 $40,990,650 $43,393,518 $1,004,550 98% 2%
20 United Auto Workers $44,054,732 $29,613,101 $14,441,631 $43,143,707 $219,100 100% 1%
21 Communications Workers of America $43,240,737 $24,228,658 $19,012,079 $42,829,377 $229,915 100% 1%
22 Teamsters Union $43,065,898 $35,043,309 $8,022,589 $40,579,028 $2,165,966 95% 5%
23 Plumbers/Pipefitters Union $42,777,845 $22,097,532 $20,680,313 $39,045,346 $1,492,595 96% 4%
24 Adelson Drug Clinic $42,521,518 $596,900 $41,924,618 $0 $42,516,718 0% 100%
25 Newsweb Corp $40,253,121 $1,518,775 $38,734,346 $39,861,871 $251,250 99% 1%
26 EMILY's List $38,259,865 $33,357,233 $4,902,632 $37,973,133 $4,794 100% 0%
27 Citigroup Inc $35,378,135 $30,287,520 $5,090,615 $16,974,561 $18,004,915 49% 52%
28 JPMorgan Chase & Co $34,652,053 $32,461,774 $2,190,279 $16,516,649 $18,037,349 48% 52%
29 American Bankers Assn $34,593,894 $33,646,119 $947,775 $12,111,701 $22,388,168 35% 65%
30 United Parcel Service $34,486,710 $32,036,208 $2,450,502 $12,154,013 $22,272,399 35% 65%
31 National Auto Dealers Assn $34,356,760 $34,216,332 $140,428 $10,883,961 $23,459,299 32% 68%
32 Sheet Metal Workers Union $34,247,795 $20,992,384 $13,255,411 $33,556,960 $569,835 98% 2%
33 National Assn of Letter Carriers $33,741,374 $24,922,367 $8,819,007 $24,859,547 $2,520,525 91% 9%
34 Machinists/Aerospace Workers Union $33,502,387 $31,151,682 $2,350,705 $32,953,326 $397,061 99% 1%
35 Victory Campaign 2004 $33,038,925 $2,000 $33,036,925 $33,038,925 $0 100% 0%
36 Blue Cross/Blue Shield $32,973,917 $28,512,492 $4,461,425 $12,004,201 $20,903,040 37% 64%
37 Operating Engineers Union $32,439,581 $24,297,999 $8,141,582 $28,031,107 $4,327,124 87% 13%
38 Microsoft Corp $32,295,577 $25,998,015 $6,297,562 $17,940,964 $14,246,146 56% 44%
39 National Beer Wholesalers Assn $32,229,910 $31,414,239 $815,671 $11,722,785 $20,485,375 36% 64%
40 American Medical Assn $32,190,032 $31,700,537 $489,495 $12,880,569 $19,259,563 40% 60%
41 General Electric $30,939,616 $28,855,164 $2,084,452 $14,462,941 $16,427,493 47% 53%
42 Lockheed Martin $29,937,540 $27,080,374 $2,857,166 $12,675,668 $17,220,791 42% 58%
43 Bloomberg Lp $29,805,731 $955,246 $28,850,485 $11,458,629 $712,227 94% 6%
44 National Assn of Home Builders $29,711,524 $28,404,448 $1,307,076 $10,143,590 $19,536,184 34% 66%
45 Bank of America $29,532,005 $27,178,424 $2,353,581 $12,131,830 $17,359,068 41% 59%
46 United Steelworkers $29,266,661 $16,552,989 $12,713,672 $19,580,885 $73,511 100% 0%
47 Elliott Management $29,127,865 $11,409,165 $17,718,700 $126,560 $28,869,155 0% 100%
48 Koch Industries $28,572,742 $18,723,717 $9,849,025 $1,695,324 $26,966,422 6% 94%
49 Morgan Stanley $28,557,117 $26,161,507 $2,395,610 $12,277,710 $16,214,872 43% 57%
50 Verizon Communications $28,354,283 $23,408,990 $4,945,293 $11,407,031 $16,841,838 40% 60%
51 American Dental Assn $27,992,979 $22,662,760 $5,330,219 $10,221,562 $13,019,265 44% 56%
52 Deloitte LLP $27,716,478 $26,076,238 $1,640,240 $9,923,824 $17,728,125 36% 64%
53 International Assn of Fire Fighters $27,674,889 $21,657,380 $6,017,509 $23,396,884 $4,162,405 85% 15%
54 Credit Union National Assn $26,995,982 $26,060,295 $935,687 $13,019,800 $13,908,598 48% 52%
55 Ernst & Young $26,763,180 $23,762,613 $3,000,567 $10,955,465 $15,651,778 41% 59%
56 Shangri-La Entertainment $25,285,583 $629,390 $24,656,193 $25,277,633 $7,950 100% 0%
57 Time Warner $25,127,982 $20,888,306 $4,239,676 $18,782,692 $6,176,194 75% 25%
58 Comcast Corp $24,944,136 $23,930,739 $1,013,397 $14,030,024 $10,770,159 57% 43%
59 American Hospital Assn $24,877,248 $23,644,178 $1,233,070 $13,050,372 $11,783,330 53% 47%
60 NextGen Climate Action $24,874,458 $0 $24,874,458 $24,874,458 $0 100% 0%
61 PricewaterhouseCoopers $24,810,928 $23,469,270 $1,341,658 $8,876,227 $15,874,047 36% 64%
62 Boeing Co $24,231,307 $21,308,059 $2,923,248 $11,201,068 $12,996,844 46% 54%
63 UBS AG $24,163,630 $21,234,787 $2,928,843 $9,826,446 $14,116,609 41% 59%
64 Democratic Governors Assn $23,953,813 $29,750 $23,924,063 $19,854,813 $0 100% 0%
65 Renaissance Technologies $23,898,677 $4,824,678 $19,073,999 $7,252,616 $16,605,974 30% 70%
66 Honeywell International $23,864,503 $23,506,708 $357,795 $10,443,140 $13,386,885 44% 56%
67 Ironworkers Union $23,255,507 $18,094,378 $5,161,129 $22,095,287 $1,099,220 95% 5%
68 Northrop Grumman $22,341,194 $20,822,764 $1,518,430 $9,495,986 $12,778,269 43% 57%
69 Air Line Pilots Assn $22,112,047 $21,537,483 $574,564 $17,961,950 $4,105,097 81% 19%
70 Union Pacific Corp $21,990,554 $19,386,888 $2,603,666 $6,093,133 $15,891,861 28% 72%
71 AFLAC Inc $21,657,329 $18,439,890 $3,217,439 $9,406,269 $12,267,565 43% 57%
72 National Assn of Insurance & Financial Advisors $21,528,474 $21,443,789 $84,685 $8,894,780 $12,608,194 41% 59%
73 Club for Growth $21,494,045 $20,217,248 $1,276,797 $114,519 $21,119,311 1% 100%
74 National Air Traffic Controllers Assn $21,482,054 $17,374,758 $4,107,296 $17,620,354 $3,818,700 82% 18%
75 Pfizer Inc $21,310,978 $16,578,690 $4,732,288 $7,523,431 $13,761,557 35% 65%
76 American Postal Workers Union $20,954,452 $16,204,271 $4,750,181 $19,624,904 $551,940 97% 3%
77 National Rifle Assn $20,783,207 $18,264,591 $2,518,616 $3,507,208 $17,261,751 17% 83%
78 Altria Group $19,813,371 $18,685,958 $1,127,413 $6,035,748 $13,783,169 31% 70%
79 Raytheon Co $19,734,937 $18,598,207 $1,136,730 $8,446,777 $11,224,838 43% 57%
80 New York Life Insurance $19,564,476 $18,082,606 $1,481,870 $9,603,598 $9,956,348 49% 51%
81 Akin, Gump et al $19,404,958 $18,260,298 $1,144,660 $12,250,590 $7,120,018 63% 37%
82 Pharmaceutical Product Development Inc $19,136,811 $212,930 $18,923,881 $3,000 $24,603,201 0% 100%
83 City of New York, NY $19,048,747 $3,546,624 $15,502,123 $15,899,559 $741,589 96% 5%
84 National Rural Electric Cooperative Assn $19,010,265 $18,884,425 $125,840 $8,648,768 $10,342,247 46% 55%
85 Credit Suisse Group $18,635,260 $16,657,440 $1,977,820 $7,742,393 $10,854,917 42% 58%
86 American Financial Group $18,429,982 $6,272,217 $12,157,765 $2,229,145 $16,173,751 12% 88%
87 United Transportation Union $18,177,770 $18,133,770 $44,000 $15,902,392 $2,195,808 88% 12%
88 General Dynamics $18,065,102 $16,293,405 $1,771,697 $8,224,432 $9,774,298 46% 54%
89 Chevron Corp $17,660,558 $9,391,814 $8,268,744 $3,174,016 $14,444,284 18% 82%
90 American Institute of CPAs $17,561,065 $17,458,040 $103,025 $7,213,488 $10,317,777 41% 59%
91 Wal-Mart Stores $17,382,912 $16,445,766 $937,146 $6,014,228 $11,336,714 35% 65%
92 Chartwell Partners $17,329,401 $1,542,401 $15,787,000 $232,700 $17,049,001 1% 99%
93 National Cable & Telecommunications Assn $17,287,760 $17,281,760 $6,000 $8,271,435 $8,974,675 48% 52%
94 TRT Holdings $17,248,062 $1,571,932 $15,676,130 $13,150 $17,234,912 0% 100%
95 Republican Governors Assn $17,113,969 $75,215 $17,038,754 $850 $16,132,021 0% 100%
96 Exxon Mobil $16,873,581 $14,918,541 $1,955,040 $2,260,305 $14,572,361 13% 87%
97 Anheuser-Busch InBev $16,752,466 $11,785,560 $4,966,906 $7,799,027 $8,956,575 47% 54%
98 Amway/Alticor Inc $16,688,490 $5,489,540 $11,198,950 $61,835 $16,752,660 0% 100%
99 FedEx Corp $16,574,126 $15,070,221 $1,503,905 $6,216,451 $10,347,750 38% 63%
100 KPMG LLP $16,423,038 $15,680,940 $742,098 $5,692,222 $10,710,266 35% 65%

To date, the efforts have not been successful. The 2016 House budget includes changes in Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.

Yup! Those horrid big donors like the Koch's - in 48th place. Here's the top 100. Note that 7 of the top ten gave 97% or more of their contributions to Democrat over the period 2002-2014. Those 7 totaled $770,984,416. I have yet to hear one objection from any quarter here or media - about the excesses of union expenditures. Folks the evil Koch brothers are 48th on this list and it comes from Open Secrets. Those 7 gave 27.5 times as much as the Koch'. What should we do with those huge givers? BTW, the 7 make virtually nothing in charitable contributions compared to the Koch's.

Totals on this page reflect donations from employees of the organization, its PAC and in some cases its own treasury. These totals include all campaign contributions to federal candidates, parties, political action committees (including superPACs), federal 527 organizations, and Carey committees. The totals do not include contributions to 501(c) organizations, whose political spending has increased markedly in recent cycles. Unlike other political organizations, they are not required to disclose the corporate and individual donors that make their spending possible. Only contributions to Democrats and Republicans or liberal and conservative outside groups are included in calculating the percentages the donor has given to either party.

NOTE: Federal law prohibits the use of contributor information for the purpose of soliciting contributions or for any commercial purpose.

Election cycle:

Rank
Organization
Total Contributions
Total Hard Money
Total Soft Money
To Dems & Liberals
To Repubs & Conservs
Pct to Dems & Liberals
Pct to Repubs & Conservs

1 Service Employees International Union $222,434,657 $23,306,001 $199,128,656 $220,687,443 $1,294,019 99% 1%
3 American Fedn of St/Cnty/Munic Employees $93,830,657 $36,793,843 $57,036,814 $92,879,550 $658,305 99% 1%
4 National Education Assn $92,972,656 $33,238,483 $59,734,173 $88,879,720 $3,236,859 97% 4%
6 American Federation of Teachers $69,757,113 $28,348,966 $41,408,147 $68,983,796 $349,250 100% 1%
7 Las Vegas Sands $69,440,942 $3,830,436 $65,610,506 $10,950 $69,410,411 0% 100%
8 National Assn of Realtors $68,683,359 $49,421,793 $19,261,566 $24,795,810 $26,378,703 49% 52%
9 Carpenters & Joiners Union $67,778,534 $27,882,152 $39,896,382 $63,242,362 $4,399,797 94% 7%
10 Intl Brotherhood of Electrical Workers $63,572,836 $40,830,429 $22,742,407 $62,383,263 $966,973 99% 2%
11 United Food & Commercial Workers Union $63,229,927 $25,860,100 $37,369,827 $62,777,661 $299,650 100% 1%
13 Laborers Union $57,644,241 $33,524,396 $24,119,845 $50,000,800 $3,419,210 94% 6%
15 Goldman Sachs $52,230,718 $44,692,898 $7,537,820 $27,906,545 $24,247,373 54% 47%
16 American Assn for Justice $48,004,160 $38,939,960 $9,064,200 $44,403,893 $3,454,417 93% 7%
19 Soros Fund Management $44,442,608 $3,451,958 $40,990,650 $43,393,518 $1,004,550 98% 2%
20 United Auto Workers $44,054,732 $29,613,101 $14,441,631 $43,143,707 $219,100 100% 1%
21 Communications Workers of America $43,240,737 $24,228,658 $19,012,079 $42,829,377 $229,915 100% 1%
22 Teamsters Union $43,065,898 $35,043,309 $8,022,589 $40,579,028 $2,165,966 95% 5%
23 Plumbers/Pipefitters Union $42,777,845 $22,097,532 $20,680,313 $39,045,346 $1,492,595 96% 4%
27 Citigroup Inc $35,378,135 $30,287,520 $5,090,615 $16,974,561 $18,004,915 49% 52%
28 JPMorgan Chase & Co $34,652,053 $32,461,774 $2,190,279 $16,516,649 $18,037,349 48% 52%
29 American Bankers Assn $34,593,894 $33,646,119 $947,775 $12,111,701 $22,388,168 35% 65%
30 United Parcel Service $34,486,710 $32,036,208 $2,450,502 $12,154,013 $22,272,399 35% 65%
31 National Auto Dealers Assn $34,356,760 $34,216,332 $140,428 $10,883,961 $23,459,299 32% 68%
32 Sheet Metal Workers Union $34,247,795 $20,992,384 $13,255,411 $33,556,960 $569,835 98% 2%
33 National Assn of Letter Carriers $33,741,374 $24,922,367 $8,819,007 $24,859,547 $2,520,525 91% 9%
34 Machinists/Aerospace Workers Union $33,502,387 $31,151,682 $2,350,705 $32,953,326 $397,061 99% 1%
36 Blue Cross/Blue Shield $32,973,917 $28,512,492 $4,461,425 $12,004,201 $20,903,040 37% 64%
37 Operating Engineers Union $32,439,581 $24,297,999 $8,141,582 $28,031,107 $4,327,124 87% 13%
38 Microsoft Corp $32,295,577 $25,998,015 $6,297,562 $17,940,964 $14,246,146 56% 44%
39 National Beer Wholesalers Assn $32,229,910 $31,414,239 $815,671 $11,722,785 $20,485,375 36% 64%
40 American Medical Assn $32,190,032 $31,700,537 $489,495 $12,880,569 $19,259,563 40% 60%
41 General Electric $30,939,616 $28,855,164 $2,084,452 $14,462,941 $16,427,493 47% 53%
42 Lockheed Martin $29,937,540 $27,080,374 $2,857,166 $12,675,668 $17,220,791 42% 58%
44 National Assn of Home Builders $29,711,524 $28,404,448 $1,307,076 $10,143,590 $19,536,184 34% 66%
45 Bank of America $29,532,005 $27,178,424 $2,353,581 $12,131,830 $17,359,068 41% 59%
46 United Steelworkers $29,266,661 $16,552,989 $12,713,672 $19,580,885 $73,511 100% 0%
47 Elliott Management $29,127,865 $11,409,165 $17,718,700 $126,560 $28,869,155 0% 100%
48 Koch Industries $28,572,742 $18,723,717 $9,849,025 $1,695,324 $26,966,422 6% 94%
49 Morgan Stanley $28,557,117 $26,161,507 $2,395,610 $12,277,710 $16,214,872 43% 57%
50 Verizon Communications $28,354,283 $23,408,990 $4,945,293 $11,407,031 $16,841,838 40% 60%
51 American Dental Assn $27,992,979 $22,662,760 $5,330,219 $10,221,562 $13,019,265 44% 56%
52 Deloitte LLP $27,716,478 $26,076,238 $1,640,240 $9,923,824 $17,728,125 36% 64%
53 International Assn of Fire Fighters $27,674,889 $21,657,380 $6,017,509 $23,396,884 $4,162,405 85% 15%
54 Credit Union National Assn $26,995,982 $26,060,295 $935,687 $13,019,800 $13,908,598 48% 52%
55 Ernst & Young $26,763,180 $23,762,613 $3,000,567 $10,955,465 $15,651,778 41% 59%
56 Shangri-La Entertainment $25,285,583 $629,390 $24,656,193 $25,277,633 $7,950 100% 0%
57 Time Warner $25,127,982 $20,888,306 $4,239,676 $18,782,692 $6,176,194 75% 25%
58 Comcast Corp $24,944,136 $23,930,739 $1,013,397 $14,030,024 $10,770,159 57% 43%
59 American Hospital Assn $24,877,248 $23,644,178 $1,233,070 $13,050,372 $11,783,330 53% 47%
61 PricewaterhouseCoopers $24,810,928 $23,469,270 $1,341,658 $8,876,227 $15,874,047 36% 64%
64 Democratic Governors Assn $23,953,813 $29,750 $23,924,063 $19,854,813 $0 100% 0%
65 Renaissance Technologies $23,898,677 $4,824,678 $19,073,999 $7,252,616 $16,605,974 30% 70%
66 Honeywell International $23,864,503 $23,506,708 $357,795 $10,443,140 $13,386,885 44% 56%
67 Ironworkers Union $23,255,507 $18,094,378 $5,161,129 $22,095,287 $1,099,220 95% 5%
68 Northrop Grumman $22,341,194 $20,822,764 $1,518,430 $9,495,986 $12,778,269 43% 57%
69 Air Line Pilots Assn $22,112,047 $21,537,483 $574,564 $17,961,950 $4,105,097 81% 19%
70 Union Pacific Corp $21,990,554 $19,386,888 $2,603,666 $6,093,133 $15,891,861 28% 72%
72 National Assn of Insurance & Financial Advisors $21,528,474 $21,443,789 $84,685 $8,894,780 $12,608,194 41% 59%
73 Club for Growth $21,494,045 $20,217,248 $1,276,797 $114,519 $21,119,311 1% 100%
74 National Air Traffic Controllers Assn $21,482,054 $17,374,758 $4,107,296 $17,620,354 $3,818,700 82% 18%
76 American Postal Workers Union $20,954,452 $16,204,271 $4,750,181 $19,624,904 $551,940 97% 3%
77 National Rifle Assn $20,783,207 $18,264,591 $2,518,616 $3,507,208 $17,261,751 17% 83%
78 Altria Group $19,813,371 $18,685,958 $1,127,413 $6,035,748 $13,783,169 31% 70%
79 Raytheon Co $19,734,937 $18,598,207 $1,136,730 $8,446,777 $11,224,838 43% 57%
80 New York Life Insurance $19,564,476 $18,082,606 $1,481,870 $9,603,598 $9,956,348 49% 51%
81 Akin, Gump et al $19,404,958 $18,260,298 $1,144,660 $12,250,590 $7,120,018 63% 37%
82 Pharmaceutical Product Development Inc $19,136,811 $212,930 $18,923,881 $3,000 $24,603,201 0% 100%
83 City of New York, NY $19,048,747 $3,546,624 $15,502,123 $15,899,559 $741,589 96% 5%
84 National Rural Electric Cooperative Assn $19,010,265 $18,884,425 $125,840 $8,648,768 $10,342,247 46% 55%
85 Credit Suisse Group $18,635,260 $16,657,440 $1,977,820 $7,742,393 $10,854,917 42% 58%
86 American Financial Group $18,429,982 $6,272,217 $12,157,765 $2,229,145 $16,173,751 12% 88%
87 United Transportation Union $18,177,770 $18,133,770 $44,000 $15,902,392 $2,195,808 88% 12%
88 General Dynamics $18,065,102 $16,293,405 $1,771,697 $8,224,432 $9,774,298 46% 54%
89 Chevron Corp $17,660,558 $9,391,814 $8,268,744 $3,174,016 $14,444,284 18% 82%
90 American Institute of CPAs $17,561,065 $17,458,040 $103,025 $7,213,488 $10,317,777 41% 59%
91 Wal-Mart Stores $17,382,912 $16,445,766 $937,146 $6,014,228 $11,336,714 35% 65%
92 Chartwell Partners $17,329,401 $1,542,401 $15,787,000 $232,700 $17,049,001 1% 99%
93 National Cable & Telecommunications Assn $17,287,760 $17,281,760 $6,000 $8,271,435 $8,974,675 48% 52%
95 Republican Governors Assn $17,113,969 $75,215 $17,038,754 $850 $16,132,021 0% 100%
96 Exxon Mobil $16,873,581 $14,918,541 $1,955,040 $2,260,305 $14,572,361 13% 87%
97 Anheuser-Busch InBev $16,752,466 $11,785,560 $4,966,906 $7,799,027 $8,956,575 47% 54%
98 Amway/Alticor Inc $16,688,490 $5,489,540 $11,198,950 $61,835 $16,752,660 0% 100%

The Koch brothers have designs to spend $889 MM in with others this election cycle. That's equal to the top nine on this list.

Election cycle:

Rank
Organization
Total Contributions
Total Hard Money
Total Soft Money
To Dems & Liberals
To Repubs & Conservs
Pct to Dems & Liberals
Pct to Repubs & Conservs

Yes, Ladoga, these Koch Brothers.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/01/2...-million-on-2016-campaign.html?referrer=&_r=0

The Koch brothers have designs to spend $889 MM in with others this election cycle. That's equal to the top nine on this list.
Do you think the others wouldn't spend that much if they could.

Post here AFTER the Koch's spend that much. The FACTS are that the money spent in the period 2002-2014 is listed and is true and the Koch's are outspent by 7 unions by 27.5 times, but you bitch about the Koch's and speak not one word about the real spenders.

You really are completely insane.

Also, you've made your point. Unions that represent roughly 15 MILLION dues-paying members outspent two brothers and a few of their closest friends. Well, ok.

But you have no problem with #19 on that list though, Soros, correct? How many millions does old George represent?

But you have no problem with #19 on that list though, Soros, correct? How many millions does old George represent?

Yes, I actually do. I have a problem with any individual having that much influence on politics. I don't believe money is speech and I don't believe corporations are people. What's your next question? Are you going to give me a list of Soros' charitable contributions as well? I'll say one thing for Soros, he seems to at least be honest about every dollar he spends on politics. We may never know how much the Kochs truly spend. Though they make sure every penny that went to charity is front and center.

This thread popped up at the bottom of my page and out of curiosity I opened it.

Read through these posts. Lots of vigorous disagreement, little name calling, no single word or single sentence insults.

Can we bring this back? Did the emergence of Trump and his habit of insulting his opponents along with the over the hyperbolic response to him ruin our ability to engage in this type of discourse?

This thread popped up at the bottom of my page and out of curiosity I opened it.

Read through these posts. Lots of vigorous disagreement, little name calling, no single word or single sentence insults.

Can we bring this back? Did the emergence of Trump and his habit of insulting his opponents along with the over the hyperbolic response to him ruin our ability to engage in this type of discourse?
2015 was before the dream team showed up. Not hard to do the math on that one.

BITCH. trump woke covid biden. 2015 life was calm. it's not unlike a relationship when times are good. people say nice things. there's still romance. when times are trying decorum fades mean words are said and separate bedrooms are used @BradStevens
I wanna try the separate bedrooms thing right now. Not b/c i don't love my wife but just b/c we have wildly different sleeping schedules.

NO, honey I don't want to go to bed at 9pm. Unless there's s*x involved. And even then, I wanna go back downstairs. Two and Half men is on at 9:30 for crying out loud.

I wanna try the separate bedrooms thing right now. Not b/c i don't love my wife but just b/c we have wildly different sleeping schedules.

NO, honey I don't want to go to bed at 9pm. Unless there's s*x involved. And even then, I wanna go back downstairs. Two and Half men is on at 9:30 for crying out loud.
It’s better. But also worse. We started out in the same bed then I’d go to another bedroom bc I snore so much I guess. But it’s not a good idea. As miserable as it is just stay in that room.

Reactions: larsIU

I’m just asking, if you have sex at 9 and your show doesn’t start til 9:30, what are you doing for the other 27 minutes?

Dehydrated and/or over-served me will drive wifey to a guest bedroom when I start snoring, or as she says when I "fire up the sawmill".

I always feel guilty the next morning when I wake up, but it quickly fades as I walk down the hall and hear her.

Can you name a politician who has not insulted their opponent, pre-Trump?

It’s better. But also worse. We started out in the same bed then I’d go to another bedroom bc I snore so much I guess. But it’s not a good idea. As miserable as it is just stay in that room.
Have you tried Zyppah?

2015 was before the dream team showed up. Not hard to do the math on that one.
You didn't post in this supposed model thread until now (although I did see someone reply with 'Are you completely insane?' above).

It's not hard to do the math on that one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT