ADVERTISEMENT

The next 4 games will define CTA's era

The 2013, 2014 and 2015 classes were ranked 38th, 38th and 48th, while Allen’s classes are 45th, 38th and 56th for 2018, 2019 and 2020 (two months shy of the initial signing period). So I’m not sure the re recruiting is as unprecedented as some believe.
You're looking only at Rivals. A composite of all the major recruiting rankings services reflects that IU's 2019 class was the best in program history. So, yes, Tom Allen's most recent recruiting class was, in fact, unprecedented.

P.S. And the 2019 rankings don't even factor in 4-star transfer Jack Tuttle who, had he committed to IU directly out of high school, would have been our highest rated QB in the recruiting rankings era.

Reactions: vesuvius13
How are you able to gauge the mental toughness of dozens of kids you don't even know? You're pulling that argument from a place where the sun doesn't shine.

Talent and depth, though, are a whole lot easier to objectively assess. For years we ranked at or near the bottom of the Big Ten in recruiting, and we lacked depth almost across the board. A compelling argument can be made that we were collapsing in the fourth quarter not because of a lack of mental toughness or effort but because our guys were in for too many snaps and were utterly gassed. Or, when a Number 1 went down to injury, the Number 2 was vastly inferior. Also, when you're fielding a team in the Big Ten with nothing but two and three stars, you're going up against guys every week who are exponentially better. If Vince Lombardi himself was resurrected and coached a MAC team, he wouldn't be able to beat Ohio State. He might be able to hang with them for a while, but the end result would always be the same.

I don't know what impact, if any, Tom Allen has had on the "mental toughness" of our current roster. I do know, though, that he's recruiting at a higher level than IU fans had ever before seen in the recruiting rankings era. That's not a claim I'm pulling out of my ass, and this fact gives many of us hope. Haters are gonna hate regardless, though.

I certainly don't need a history lesson on the depth and talent issues that Indiana has faced.

You know what though, you're right. Watching Indiana play, they're obviously the very definition of mental toughness, discipline, and execution. What was I thinking?

I mean, never mind the blown coverages, poor and missed tackling (that has been a problem since forever), or the careless penalties at the most inopportune times. This team is running like a well oiled machine. Flawless in every aspect of the game.

Yes, you're being totally objective blaming the issues that continue to plague Indiana on talent and depth.

If I'm unable to gauge the mental toughness of dozens of kids I don't even know, then you aren't either. So your argument is coming from the same place.

But sure, chalk this up to haters gonna hate.

You're looking only at Rivals. A composite of all the major recruiting rankings services reflects that IU's 2019 class was the best in program history. So, yes, Tom Allen's most recent recruiting class was, in fact, unprecedented.

P.S. And the 2019 rankings don't even factor in 4-star transfer Jack Tuttle who, had he committed to IU directly out of high school, would have been our highest rated QB in the recruiting rankings era.
If you want to expand the “database”, I would agree that Allen’s 2019 success leads the pack. Hopefully, it’s not a one year phenomenon, as the 2020 class indicates it could be.

If you want to expand the “database”, I would agree that Allen’s 2019 success leads the pack. Hopefully, it’s not a one year phenomenon, as the 2020 class indicates it could be.
Expanding the database? Isn't a composite - - of anything - - a more accurate depiction than information derived from a single source?

With respect to 2020, yes, there's work to be done. I don't believe Coach Allen is on any kind of hot seat, but I do believe that these next seven games are critical with respect to recruiting momentum, continued progress and Allen's ultimate success at IU. We have to win six this year - - no ifs, ands or buts.

I certainly don't need a history lesson on the depth and talent issues that Indiana has faced.

You know what though, you're right. Watching Indiana play, they're obviously the very definition of mental toughness, discipline, and execution. What was I thinking?

I mean, never mind the blown coverages, poor and missed tackling (that has been a problem since forever), or the careless penalties at the most inopportune times. This team is running like a well oiled machine. Flawless in every aspect of the game.

Yes, you're being totally objective blaming the issues that continue to plague Indiana on talent and depth.

If I'm unable to gauge the mental toughness of dozens of kids I don't even know, then you aren't either. So your argument is coming from the same place.

But sure, chalk this up to haters gonna hate.
Nice straw man argument. Re-read what I wrote. I made no claims about our "mental toughness." My point was how can a distant observer measure that? (he can't). Unless you've got coaches saying it's a problem, then it's pure conjecture. Recruiting and depth, though, are things that can be measured. And we've been lacking in those areas for years, although finally things seem to be changing.

If you perceive someone disagreeing with you as a "history lesson," I'm not sure what to say except maybe "class dismissed."

Wrong

The 2013, 2014 and 2015 classes were ranked 38th, 38th and 48th, while Allen’s classes are 45th, 38th and 56th for 2018, 2019 and 2020 (two months shy of the initial signing period). So I’m not sure the re recruiting is as unprecedented as some believe.

Nice straw man argument. Re-read what I wrote. I made no claims about our "mental toughness." My point was how can a distant observer measure that? (he can't). Unless you've got coaches saying it's a problem, then it's pure conjecture. Recruiting and depth, though, are things that can be measured. And we've been lacking in those areas for years, although finally things seem to be changing.

If you perceive someone disagreeing with you as a "history lesson," I'm not sure what to say except maybe "class dismissed."

Awesome! You're condescension is duly noted. Re-read what I wrote. I wasn't disagreeing about the lack of depth or talent at Indiana. I'm well aware of those issues. But even those measurements can be subjective. There's more to Indiana's lack of success than just that.

It doesn't take a distant observer to see when a team isn't playing smart or disciplined or is making mental mistakes in basic execution. Suddenly those things aren't observable because we're not embedded within the program? That's nonsense and hardly conjecture. No coach has to come out and say it's a problem for it to be a problem.

Let's try this:
Do you think this team possesses exceptional mental toughness?
Do they execute particularly well?
Is their play disciplined?

Now I know I'm just a distant observer, but to me, those things seem to be issues when Indiana faces the tougher opponents on the schedule. It's not just talent and depth preventing this program from turning the corner.

Expanding the database? Isn't a composite - - of anything - - a more accurate depiction than information derived from a single source?

With respect to 2020, yes, there's work to be done. I don't believe Coach Allen is on any kind of hot seat, but I do believe that these next seven games are critical with respect to recruiting momentum, continued progress and Allen's ultimate success at IU. We have to win six this year - - no ifs, ands or buts.

Ordy F'd up in his google search (which is his MO) and then had to walk it back. TA has two of the top 3 recruiting classes in IU history. If his seat heats up, it won't be for that reason.

Reactions: 76-1

Thanks for the clarification, which prompted me to take a broader look at how the ratings services have evaluated IU’s recruiting through the years. You’re right in saying that a composite view of Allen’s 2019 class puts it at the top, followed by Wilson’s 2013 and 2014 classes, with Allen’s 2018 class in fourth. So, first place to Allen, second and third to Wilson, fourth to Allen. And hopefully the 2020 class, which has gotten off to a slow start, closes well, as it’s rated in the mid to upper 50’s on a consensus basis.

Thanks for the clarification, which prompted me to take a broader look at how the ratings services have evaluated IU’s recruiting through the years. You’re right in saying that a composite view of Allen’s 2019 class puts it at the top, followed by Wilson’s 2013 and 2014 classes, with Allen’s 2018 class in fourth. So, first place to Allen, second and third to Wilson, fourth to Allen. And hopefully the 2020 class, which has gotten off to a slow start, closes well, as it’s rated in the mid to upper 50’s on a consensus basis.

Its a lot easier to recruit when you can offer immediate playing time. Wilson had a couple of good years and then fell off a cliff. Allen has had a couple of good years so we shall see if he can sustain that or even come somewhere close.

Its a lot easier to recruit when you can offer immediate playing time. Wilson had a couple of good years and then fell off a cliff. Allen has had a couple of good years so we shall see if he can sustain that or even come somewhere close.
Allen's a high-energy, charismatic person of character. (I guess I'm old school because I still believe that character matters in leadership). I'm sure high school athletes (and their parents) are readily drawn to him, and I'm loving the Florida pipeline.

The only missing piece is the W/L record. But think about this for a second. He signed IU's best-ever recruiting class while going 5-7. Imagine what a six win (or more) season would yield. Time is of the essence, though, in my opinion. We need to win six this year to keep the recruiting train rolling.

Too early on 2020. Three 5.5 rated three star commits right now would move IU all the way up to 39. Our current average star rating is 2.93, which is close to the past two years.

The rankings now are so fluid. MSU is in the 50s too, I’m sure they won’t end up there too.

Allen's a high-energy, charismatic person of character. (I guess I'm old school because I still believe that character matters in leadership). I'm sure high school athletes (and their parents) are readily drawn to him, and I'm loving the Florida pipeline.

The only missing piece is the W/L record. But think about this for a second. He signed IU's best-ever recruiting class while going 5-7. Imagine what a six win (or more) season would yield. Time is of the essence, though, in my opinion. We need to win six this year to keep the recruiting train rolling.
The Florida pipeline has been a real gift, and hopefully it continues. Curious as to why his high school contacts in Indiana have led to more success at home. Just too many other options or do kids not see IU as viable? Would be nice to get some of the high end locals going to Purdue, Iowa, Ohio State, ND and other BiG schools.

The Florida pipeline has been a real gift, and hopefully it continues. Curious as to why his high school contacts in Indiana have led to more success at home. Just too many other options or do kids not see IU as viable? Would be nice to get some of the high end locals going to Purdue, Iowa, Ohio State, ND and other BiG schools.
I think our local recruiting is picking up. It's going to take some time, but I think we're getting there. We've got some guys from Carmel and Indianapolis. We need to work on Ft. Wayne - they have some major talent up there that gets poached. It doesn't help that East Lansing and Ann Arbor are closer to them than us.

But we definitely need to own southern Indiana.

Go bowling this year and we'll get some serious looks by the local kids.

With now 2 RB transfers, I don’t wish for that but every time it happens, I take positive view:

-It opens up spots for new high rated recruits

-It confirms we are getting better. C people leaving due to not playing (usually)

And I do think the better IU does this season in the wins/losses this year, the better recruiting will be. And the more Penix keeps playing well, (likely leading to more wins) the more good players may be attracted to IU too.

And if IU does well, could see some good recruits flip to IU as well.

This might seem like a I'm over-stating the importance of this 4 game stretch but when was the last time IU had 4 winnable conference games in a row? The 90s? How IU does in the next 4 games is going to define Tom Allen's tenure at IU. Are we trending upwards and capable of being a regular bowl team or are we the same 4-8/5-7 team we always have been.

If we go:
  • 0-4 - Disaster season. Coach Allen should be on the hot seat and possibly fired
  • 1-4 - Complete letdown. Best we can hope for is 5-7 but most likely 4-8. CTA's seat gets hot
  • 2-4 - Salvageable season. Yet again have to beat Purdue to make a bowl. A loss to Purdue warms CTA's seat
  • 3-4 - Good season. Bowl eligible before our second bye week, beating Purdue makes it a special season. Coach Allen has us moving in the right direction.
  • 4-4 - Awesome season. Coach Allen is the real deal
There's no reason to think this team can't go 3-4 or even 4-4 based on how we've played so far. The big question is consistency. Can we string together 4 really good efforts in a row? Every IU fan has seen this before, our team looks great one game and then a complete dumpster fire the next. Consistency is going to get us to the next level. Is this the year we finally show we can compete or is it the same story we've all seen a thousand times before? No matter what happens CTA will either come out of this 4 game stretch a hero or a man that needs to start looking for his next job.
The answer is 4 for 4.

That was an amazing 4-gam stretch indeed. Not that there were goliath's on the schedule, but definitely games IU had lost in the past and moved us up to upper echelon levels just under the big 2-3...as of now.

But recruiting should indeed pick up and we could start knocking harder on the door in the near future!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT