ADVERTISEMENT

Ted Cruz is scary smart

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
The guy is off the charts brilliant. And he is scary. Right now he is at the front of the GOP presidential candidates' race to the bottom.

Today Ted Cruz opines that SCOTUS justices should be subject to retention elections so as to control their "judicial overreach". Cruz cites the ACA decision and the same sex marriage rulings as overreach examples. There is no way the ACA decision can ever be considered "overreach". Interpreting and applying federal law is in SCOTUS's wheelhouse--that is what it is supposed to do. I recognize the overreach argument on the same sex marriage case, but not enough to have the court stand for election. The independent judiciary is vital to all of us. It is the firewall between us and the government. None of us will ever agree with everything the court does, but we should defend to the death their authority to do it.

As an aside, I would support creating judicial nominating commissions to put some distance between the court and trendy politics, but never elections.

The guy is off the charts brilliant. And he is scary. Right now he is at the front of the GOP presidential candidates' race to the bottom.

Today Ted Cruz opines that SCOTUS justices should be subject to retention elections so as to control their "judicial overreach". Cruz cites the ACA decision and the same sex marriage rulings as overreach examples. There is no way the ACA decision can ever be considered "overreach". Interpreting and applying federal law is in SCOTUS's wheelhouse--that is what it is supposed to do. I recognize the overreach argument on the same sex marriage case, but not enough to have the court stand for election. The independent judiciary is vital to all of us. It is the firewall between us and the government. None of us will ever agree with everything the court does, but we should defend to the death their authority to do it.

As an aside, I would support creating judicial nominating commissions to put some distance between the court and trendy politics, but never elections.
I would suggest that "trendy politics" is the reason the court stays (relatively) balanced. The process to get nominated, vetted, and approved to the SCOTUS is rigorous, at minimum. So, while I may disagree with the fiber of some of the court justices (don't get me started on Scalia - he thinks he is the court), I think that the fact that some were Democratic nominees and some Republican make it work, over time. And, I trust that to get through the nomination process that the judicial nominee has some legal chops.

Also, to me, commissions would just introduce another layer of artifice to the process, and perhaps give lobbyists a wedge to enter their smear on the process. Is it a perfect system? No. But, eliminating the current system is knee jerk, and Cruz is only saying that because his side lost.

If it were the other way, he would be trumpeting the wisdom of the judiciary.

Reactions: rpf4iu

Off the charts brilliant? The guy who shut down the federal government and did his party immense damage in an attempt to defeat ACA which he himself admitted later he knew was doomed to failure? You have an odd idea of what constitutes brilliant, C.

Off the charts brilliant? The guy who shut down the federal government and did his party immense damage in an attempt to defeat ACA which he himself admitted later he knew was doomed to failure? You have an odd idea of what constitutes brilliant, C.

As I said,

Scary smart.

You got the scary part down pretty good. You are almost keeping up.

We'll see if he sings the same tune if a republican gets elected president and gets two scotus appointees.

He may be brilliant, but I've seen no signs of it yet. His shutting down the government stunt was certainly an indication of no common sense.

Scary for sure. Smart, maybe.

Scary for sure. Considering our tradition of the courts protecting the rights of the minority, giving a majority the right to remove judges when they disagree with a decision or decisions seems contrary to this tradition.

Smart maybe. Maybe smart but hardly original as several states allow the removal of judges based upon retention elections.

He may be brilliant, but I've seen no signs of it yet. His shutting down the government stunt was certainly an indication of no common sense.

We'll see if he's still singing this tune if a republican gets elected president and gets to appoint two judges to the scotus. My guess is he'll deny he ever said it, say that's not necessarily what he meant by those comments, or he'll dodge the issue completely. And Cruz isn't smart, he's a weasel who follows up all his comments with "Jesus", "Christian", or "freedom and liberty"...that qualifies as smart to republicans.

Cruz also said that the SCOTUS rulings were the "darkest 24 hours in nation's history." Really? Worse than 9/11, Pearl Harbor, etc? That doesn't sound like a smart man to me.

This post reflects poorly on your ability to judge intelligence.

This post reflects poorly on your ability to judge intelligence.

Never met the guy

My opinion is based 75% Dershowitz (who taught Cruz) and 10% responses to Halprin interview, and 15% to his SCOTUS appearances.

But he takes stupid positions, hence, the phrase "scary smart".

Hay COH, can you explain why the Obergefell overreach argument flies, but not the ACA? Isn't interpreting the Constitution just as much in the wheelhouse of the court as interpreting federal law?

Yes, this guy, along with a few other tea party members, may put this country in great jeopardy. Extremist on either side worry me.

Reactions: mjvcaj
The people are the rightful masters of both congresses and the courts -- not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert it.

A. Lincoln, September 16 and 17, 1859 Notes for Speeches at Columbus and Cincinnati.

The people are the rightful masters of both congresses and the courts -- not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert it.

A. Lincoln, September 16 and 17, 1859 Notes for Speeches at Columbus and Cincinnati.

The problem there is that there's simply not a consensus on what constitutes perverting it, and never has been.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT