ADVERTISEMENT

Starting WR J-Shun Harris out for the season

Let the fun begin! Anybody got any snake bite medicine? Ralston Evans and Kenny Mullen have ended their football careers as well. Looks like Laray Smith, Coray Keel and DL Nick Caravilano? have also left the program. Geesh,we havent even got to fall practice yet. But like they say.....Next man up!

This is par for the course with IU football. Key players injured. We hear about how this team has great team chemistry. Some are arrested or fall off the map. After a while, this isn't really news. You just become numb to it all.

All 3 who left the team were in good academic standing according to the
announcement so it wasn't classes

Unless any of the 3 had some personal family issues (ie to help an lll parent at home),
giving up a great college education that would be completely paid for by scholarship sounds absolutely dumb.

We need to do a better job on retention of salvageable players

Unless any of the 3 had some personal family issues (ie to help an lll parent at home),
giving up a great college education that would be completely paid for by scholarship sounds absolutely dumb.

How do we know they were "salvageable"? They all seemed to have slipped behind walkons on the depth chart.

They could be pursuing opportunities to play football at other schools. Can't blame a kid that's fallen down the depth chart to look for a chance elsewhere to see the field. Plus, it opens up scholarships for the 2016 class, which could become even more valuable if the team makes it to a bowl this season.

Reactions: JCHoosier
Hey scribe......I think you are a local guy so you will appreciate this. I ran into KW at a local/Ellettsville Mexican restaurant. Was friendly enough as we spoke but I immediately picked up on the fact something was wrong....he seemed a bit depressed. I just assumed a boat load of crap on his plate......recruiting not strong at least yet, his kids start school next week and a tough IU football off season. Your post probably answers my observation.

until someone knows the particular situation for any/all of the three, it is difficult
to know what "opportunities" are out there. Sometimes, players have to tough out
difficult times.

If you didn't completely like your first job, you should just quit or should you keep on
fighting to improve?

It was mentioned that Laray Smith was going to transfer to Delaware State IIRC. I believe an article mentioned that he wanted to try his skills back at RB. Don't remember anything being mentioned about the other two. All three were in good standing academically. Coach wished them well.

until someone knows the particular situation for any/all of the three, it is difficult
to know what "opportunities" are out there. Sometimes, players have to tough out
difficult times.

If you didn't completely like your first job, you should just quit or should you keep on
fighting to improve?

I don't think transferring to another school for playing time is quitting, just some players don't quite pan out the way people expected and fall down the depth chart. In Smith's case he wanted to get a shot at running back and that wasn't happening at Indiana. As far as Carovillano goes, he was limited during the spring and possibly fell further behind some of the Hoosiers other options at defensive end. Coray Keel was also limited somewhat during the spring if I remember right and the Hoosiers added 6 wide receivers in this class, so he was also facing an uphill battle for playing time.

Most of these young men only have 4 at best 5 years to play college football and I for one don't blame any of them looking for an opportunity elsewhere to get playing time.

Reactions: 82IUGraduate
This is par for the course with IU football. Key players injured. We hear about how this team has great team chemistry. Some are arrested or fall off the map. After a while, this isn't really news. You just become numb to it all.
Good God. Every team loses players in the offseason.

Evans is done because of injuries. He physically can't play. Smith and Keel are transferring and were buried on the depth chart. Mullen isn't going to be a pro and graduated. This isn't anything earth shattering.

Reactions: indyclark

J-Shun is tough news, and it's too bad about Ralston - not just for the team but for him. However, it should never be an issue when guys that haven't gotten playing time (nor will they) leave. There are 100 kids on the team….you have to expect a few will always leave to go to a smaller college so they can play. No big deal at all. Not sure why you are so "numb" to it….

Reactions: indyclark
Good God. Every team loses players in the offseason.

J-Shun is tough news, and it's too bad about Ralston - not just for the team but for him. However, it should never be an issue when guys that haven't gotten playing time (nor will they) leave. There are 100 kids on the team….you have to expect a few will always leave to go to a smaller college so they can play. No big deal at all. Not sure why you are so "numb" to it….

The difference here guys is that this is IU. Losing one of the best receivers from a year ago would not be an issue.......for OSU or Michigan St. Those programs just turn around and plug and play.
IU may have to turn to a true freshman. And, this isn't "just like other programs.". We lose more than our share of key members (Sudfeld, Antonio Allen, Harris) than we can afford.

Reactions: boiledmeconium
Never mind. 82 has it covered. I looked up where Delaware State's main campus
was located (Dover).

The difference here guys is that this is IU. Losing one of the best receivers from a year ago would not be an issue.......for OSU or Michigan St. Those programs just turn around and plug and play.
IU may have to turn to a true freshman. And, this isn't "just like other programs.". We lose more than our share of key members (Sudfeld, Antonio Allen, Harris) than we can afford.
Okay, so it was the J-Shun loss that you were referring to. Gotcha. Like I said, that's a tough one but i don't think he was that great last year….perhaps he was poised for a break out season, if he could learn to hang onto the ball. He had so many drops.

.....perhaps he was poised for a break out season, if he could learn to hang onto the ball. He had so many drops.

I don't remember J-Shun with as many drops last year as Simmie Cobbs or others. He may have one really bad game in the MSU contest.

Oh, no - he was by far the worst with drops. Not just one game.
Agreed on this one. Seemed like he had the speed to beat anyone down the field but could never haul in the pass. Granted he was a freshman, but they gave him a lot of responsibility from the get go (punts, kickoffs, etc.)

Evans is done because of injuries. He physically can't play. Smith and Keel are transferring and were buried on the depth chart. Mullen isn't going to be a pro and graduated. This isn't anything earth shattering.
I agree, but I think Kenny Mullen would probably have started for us this year. That's the only one that surprises me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT