ADVERTISEMENT

Rules question

outlawyer

Sophomore
Feb 26, 2006
Last night, late in the first half, an tO$U player was injured and play was stopped. Think there was under 2 min left in half. After he left the field and was replaced, IIRC the clock started on the ready for play signal. tO$U did had 2 TOs left before the injury, and I anticipated they would lose one with the injury stoppage. But, they still had 2 TOs after the injury. I thought there was a rule about that resulting in the team losing a TO for such an injury timeout if late in the half (under 2 min to go, or something like that). Anybody know the rule? Or, is there no such rule?

Rule 3-3-5-f-1 (last minute of each half)

1. If the player injury is the only reason for stopping the clock (other than his or a teammate's helmet coming off, Rule 3-3-9) with less than one minute in the half, the opponent has the option of a 10-second runoff.

This can be negated with a charged timeout by the injured players team, of course (if available).

This post was edited on 1/2 3:48 PM by dillonpgp

Rule Tool

another rules interpretation.

In the first half of the OSU/ Bama game, OSU was in the redzone and driving and there was pressure form Bama DT straight up the middle. As OSU QB was backpedaling to avoid sack he tossed it into the first or second row of the stands behind the goal post (the stands were not close to the field). The throw was a rainbow with no player even close to make a play. Why was that not intentional grounding? He was not outside the tackles and clearly heaved it into the endzone stands to avoid a sack. Announcers did not even mention the potential for a penalty.

This post was edited on 1/2 4:30 PM by Flooded Timber

It's not intentional grounding when it goes out of bounds past the LOS

Throwing it forward into the end zone stands can never be intentional grounding, in other words.

This post was edited on 1/3 2:06 PM by Fro

You're wrong, if QB is inside the tackles(offensive)

Doesn't matter if it gets to the LOS, it's grounding. I think the difference of throwing it outta the end zone would depend on if QB is considered under duress.

Only saw one play in the game which I thought was a blown rule. Whe OSU was driving for it's second touchdown, Alabama was called for a pass interference, which preserved the drive. I do not think the ball or the runner was across the line of scrimmage, which would have made the contact legal. Anyone else noticed that? No comment from announcers, but they frequently know very little about the rules.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT