ADVERTISEMENT

Reza Aslan defends religion on TDS

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
I'll share a video as soon as it's posted, but if you missed it and are still up at 1 am, check it out. Some out takes:

"Yes, there is a problem with religious violence, especially with Islam and in the Middle East, but you can't simply blame religion without also crediting religion for every religiously motivated act of kindness and compassion..."

"Scripture doesn't tell people what to believe. People insert what they believe into scripture."

"If your'e a bigot, God didn't make you a bigot. You're just a bigot."

Essentially, he argued that humans use religion to explain and frame both their better angels and demons, but religion isn't to blame, human nature is.

Pretty good stuff.

I'll share a video as soon as it's posted, but if you missed it and are still up at 1 am, check it out. Some out takes:

"Yes, there is a problem with religious violence, especially with Islam and in the Middle East, but you can't simply blame religion without also crediting religion for every religiously motivated act of kindness and compassion..."

"Scripture doesn't tell people what to believe. People insert what they believe into scripture."

Essentially, he argued that humans use religion to explain and frame both their better angels and demons, but religion isn't to blame, human nature is.

Pretty good stuff.

If you like this kind of stuff, and I do, you should check out the debates between Chris Hedges and Sam Harris over religion. You can see them on YouTube. Actually, I recommend anything with Chris Hedges.

Pretty good stuff.
Nuthin new here

Flip Wilson had this figured out before you were born

Reactions: meridian

Pretty good stuff.

I'ma hep you out...

One of the worst interviews I've ever seen.

Oh, I don't know, I thought it was pretty funny.

Fox: you're a mooslim, what do you know 'bout Jesus.
Reza: I'm a scholar with 20 years experience and a PhD.
Fox: Ok, but you're a mooslim
Reza: Yes, I'm a religious scholar who happens to be Muslim.
Fox: Ok, but that doesn't change the fact you're a mooslim

Just keepin' it fair and balanced. Keepin' it real.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT