ADVERTISEMENT

"Reverend Title"?

toastedbread

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2006
I'm watching Al Sharpton now and I was curious how does one become a Reverend? Is some special training required? Jewish Rabbis for example must attend Rabbinical school.

I also noticed in Charleston how the whole town seemed to be comprised of Reverends. So I was curious what are their credentials?

I'm watching Al Sharpton now and I was curious how does one become a Reverend? Is some special training required? Jewish Rabbis for example must attend Rabbinical school.

I also noticed in Charleston how the whole town seemed to be comprised of Reverends. So I was curious what are their credentials?
It's only Sharpton who made you wonder? Be aware that there are also white charlatans. This guy, for example.

In fact, there was absolutely no commercially available market for black religious hucksters in this country prior to April 1865. Black religious hucksters weren't able to gain any mainstream commercial success until some time after passage of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

Now, in this best of all possible worlds, hucksters of all races can fleece the rubes. I find all of that offensive. Apparently it's only The Other Guys' hucksters who get your attention.

Pretty sure you can get ordained on the internet, but that wasn't the case with Rev Al.

You can do it here: http://www.ulc.org/ordination/

Will you change your handle to RevToast once you are ordained?

Reactions: mjvcaj
Pretty sure you can get ordained on the internet, but that wasn't the case with Rev Al.

That's because there was no Internet when Sharpton was first ordained (as a Pentecostal) when he was 10 years old! Yes, he was later ordained in a Baptist church, but I do not believe he has any formal religious education--unless you count his time as James Brown's manager.

But you had some theology education didn't you?

And I fear that if I confess my sins to you you will find a way to use them against me here. :)

But you had some theology education didn't you?

And I fear that if I confess my sins to you you will find a way to use them against me here. :)
I signed up with ULC back in '97/'98. I swear my friend did it to me as a prank, but she swears it was my idea. I don't remember for sure.

I have a BA in religious studies from IU, which is not the same as theology, although I've obviously studied a lot of theology as a part of that. My focus was in 2nd Temple Judaism and 1st Century Christianity.

I also did a fair amount of study into the nature of religion and myth, as well, which I continued with my grad studies in communications.

I signed up with ULC back in '97/'98. I swear my friend did it to me as a prank, but she swears it was my idea. I don't remember for sure.

I have a BA in religious studies from IU, which is not the same as theology, although I've obviously studied a lot of theology as a part of that. My focus was in 2nd Temple Judaism and 1st Century Christianity.

I also did a fair amount of study into the nature of religion and myth, as well, which I continued with my grad studies in communications.
See, I was about to make some smarta$$ comment at your expense regarding your foci of study (and poor grammar--foci is the plural), but then I thought.....wait....the dude is a reverend, I better not.

You can do it here: http://www.ulc.org/ordination/

Will you change your handle to RevToast once you are ordained?
Awesome! Now anyone can be a Reverend without putting in any training or effort. You do have to be over 13. They don't accept anyone. At what point do they ask for a credit card? I thought the application page was funny when it said to check your spam folder for their confirmation.

I like the sound of Reverend Bud E Wiser.

Historically, Baptist preachers were not required to have a formal education. That gave Baptists an advantage compared to the other early American churches. Harvard was started to educate preachers as was William and Mary. The Episcopalians of W&M were required to travel to England for ordination. Catholic priests were trained in Europe. Baptist preachers were known for riding circuit to preach to multiple communities. There are still sects, Primitive Baptist churches for example, that require no formal education.

Awesome! Now anyone can be a Reverend without putting in any training or effort. You do have to be over 13. They don't accept anyone. At what point do they ask for a credit card? I thought the application page was funny when it said to check your spam folder for their confirmation.

I like the sound of Reverend Bud E Wiser.
It was free when I did it.

ADVERTISEMENT