ADVERTISEMENT

Pay these damn players please!!!

Ptah180

Newcomer
Sep 21, 2003
Being broke is one thing, but being from the inner city, broke and on a college campus; what did you think Allen was gonna do during the summer, flip chicken at popeyes? These colleges needed to PAY these kids hell, something..Needless to say, his career is over....PAY THESE KIDS!

Being broke is one thing, but being from the inner city, broke and on a college campus; what did you think Allen was gonna do during the summer, flip chicken at popeyes? These colleges needed to PAY these kids hell, something..Needless to say, his career is over....PAY THESE KIDS!
This post should be deleted. Not getting paid cash for college athletics in no way justifies his behavior. He deserves what he gets for being so stupid.

Why couldn't he work this Summer?

I worked during the Summers when I was an undergraduate, and I was taking classes and training about 2-3 hours per day for my sport. It was not very difficult. But then, I did not waste any time playing video games or watching TV. Kids today are lazy and entitled. Allen has been given every opportunity to succeed since he was 12 years old, and he made the wrong choices every step of the way. He has been dealing drugs on and off since he was a young teenager, and has never valued hard work.

As I said earlier on another thread, good riddance. We are way better off without him.

Yeah, who can blame a kid who finds themself faced with the choice of either flipping popeyes chicken or dealing meth cocaine and heroin, and chooses the latter.

smh

Reactions: RBB89 and Rico6819

Sounds like someone is an enabler of the entitled youth plaguing America today. Is this common in the ultra liberal Indiana University?

Reactions: Rico6819
Sounds like someone is an enabler of the entitled youth plaguing America today. Is this common in the ultra liberal Indiana University?
Okay, I'll bite. What makes IU an "ultra liberal" university?

The entire premise of this notion is rediculous.

This is a character problem not a comp problem.

Look! A PeeU troll burning his first post over here! Isn't that just too precious? :) Buh bye now Troll.
I don't think I said anything at all inflammatory. IU made national headlines and I came here to see what you thought about it. I was shocked that someone actually thought that giving handouts is going to solve illegal drug proliferation among collegiate athletes. It's like saying more welfare subsidies will lead to lower crime among America's youth. No, it will just lead to more entitlement demands and unrest if they don't get what they "deserve." If my post gets deleted, an I get banned, then I guess I'll know where this community stands on this issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCHoosier

I have never heard a drug dealer say, I don't need any more money.

Reactions: muubell
I don't think I said anything at all inflammatory. IU made national headlines and I came here to see what you thought about it. I was shocked that someone actually thought that giving handouts is going to solve illegal drug proliferation among collegiate athletes. It's like saying more welfare subsidies will lead to lower crime among America's youth. No, it will just lead to more entitlement demands and unrest if they don't get what they "deserve." If my post gets deleted, an I get banned, then I guess I'll know where this community stands on this issue.
Uh huh. Right.
I agree fully with you on your point, by the way. But if you don't think a Purdue fan making their first post on Rivals on an IU board, on this particular topic in the manner you did could be construed as trolling, then I don't know what to tell you. You are obviously articulate enough to indicate a level of intelligence sufficient to understand that a single poster on a sports-oriented forum such as this cannot speak for the thoughts of any university IU, Purdue or otherwise, on an issue such as this. And you should understand that this is a sensitive thing - IU football fans are not in a particularly good mood about this development and the last thing we want to see is a Purdue fan coming over here and stirring the pot.

Finally, no - IU didn't make national headlines - this alleged felon and now former IU athlete did.

Last edited:
Reactions: LuckyIU73
Uh huh. Right.
I agree fully with you on your point, by the way. But if you don't think a Purdue fan making their first post on Rivals on an IU board, on this particular topic in the manner you did could be construed as trolling, then I don't know what to tell you. You are obviously articulate enough to indicate a level of intelligence sufficient to understand that a single poster on a sports-oriented forum such as this cannot speak for the thoughts of any university IU, Purdue or otherwise, on an issue such as this. And you should understand that this is a sensitive thing - IU football fans are not in a particularly good mood about this development and the last thing we want to see is a Purdue fan coming over here and stirring the pot.

Finally, no - IU didn't make national headlines - this alleged felon and now former IU athlete did.
Look, I apologize if you or anyone else felt offended by my post. Perhaps I should not have included a rhetorical question about IU. However, the OP touched upon a topic sensitive to any warm blooded American and my post was a visceral reaction to that, and that alone.

Unfortunately, Allen was a representative of IU, as evidenced by numerous publications of his likeness from IU media relations and athletics while wearing official IU colors, logos, uniforms, and emblems for promotional purposes. Almost every news story running, including ones published on this site, includes such a likeness. Inevitably, IU and Allen would be associated with one another to outsiders, as the university went to great lengths to do so. It is not out of the question for me, or anyone, to go to one of the premier sites on which IU and IU athletics are discussed.

Sometimes the truth hurts, and the truth is the basketball and football programs have had some serious issues with kids using and apparently selling drugs.

IU has once again been caught with it's pants down and anything any rivals would say just have to be accepted right now.

Do kids do these things at other schools? I have no idea, all I know is I'm tired of seeing IU in the news for this type of behavior every couple of months.

The other question asked, Is IU an ultra liberal school?? I'd say yes, hosting people like Hilary Clinton will do that to you whether you like it or not.

they are already being paid unless you think having your school paid for is not being paid. Also these kids can get a housing allowance of around 1000 a month and if you get 2 or 3 roommates to help pay the rent then you should have plenty of spending money. Also if you come from a poor background you are able to get Pell grants that can be used to pay for things. stop blaming the system when you should start blaming these kids for making stupid mistakes.

I have been on the "pay these players" bandwagon for many years. It's only NOW becoming a topic that can even be discussed without breaking a moral code. But this situation right here has absolutely nothing to do with that. He has everything he needs at his finger tips but it wasn't enough. If all he needed was some more pocket cash (that doesn't involve a part time gig obviously) than he would've maybe sold something minimally but this kat was neck deep in the game. He was greedy and wanted a lifestyle that no college would be willing to pay. That to me means he would've still done this regardless of IU giving him some stipend.

I come back to my argument that players should be allowed to get personal sponsorship's and allow alumni or boosters the ability to pay players. Its no different than shoe companies swaying players or universities declining hundreds of millions of dollars from EA Sports simply because they didn't want to pay it to the players. There are alternatives to paying players that literally wouldn't cost the university a penny. THIS situation however, has nothing to do with it.

Why couldn't he work this Summer?

I worked during the Summers when I was an undergraduate, and I was taking classes and training about 2-3 hours per day for my sport. It was not very difficult. But then, I did not waste any time playing video games or watching TV. Kids today are lazy and entitled. Allen has been given every opportunity to succeed since he was 12 years old, and he made the wrong choices every step of the way. He has been dealing drugs on and off since he was a young teenager, and has never valued hard work.

As I said earlier on another thread, good riddance. We are way better off without him.
You're right! No athlete has ever been caught dealing drugs before.....its all because he is entitled and lazy not addicted, wanted more money, etc. Kid royally screwed up his life, because he was stupid. Let's not make this a generational thing (though I'm not even of the same generation). There were plenty of lazy and/or entitled people in your generation, too. You may not have heard enough about them, but let's not make this about something it is not. ;)

Pay them? Then it's no longer college football. it's just a minor league pro team. Why should any university be involved? Sorry but if the kid is too stupid and too much of a thug to understand the opportunity he's been given then F him.

Changing the rules to accommodate idiot criminals is just stupid.

As a former college athlete, and a black guy, I say nonsense. This didn't happen because he wasn't paid, it happened because he saw it as an easy way to make some cash. His friends were doing it and he grew up around it and in his world he didn't think it such a big deal. He wasn't smart enough to realize he needed to move out of that world.

As a former college athlete, and a black guy, I say nonsense. This didn't happen because he wasn't paid, it happened because he saw it as an easy way to make some cash. His friends were doing it and he grew up around it and in his world he didn't think it such a big deal. He wasn't smart enough to realize he needed to move out of that world.

I agree with you. Two completely different topics (pay players and reasons for Allen's situation). He made his bed and I hope he is able to get the help he needs and goes on to live a better life. The harm he allowed others to get put in is really disheartening. I know he came from a rough background which really doesn't give him the best opportunity to grow amicably and that's a sad thing in our society today. With that said, nobody controls their own destiny more than themselves. Every man needs to look in the mirror and understand that no one can change for the better without taking that burden upon themselves no matter how hard. I truly hope he is able to dig himself out of this.

Reactions: MrBing
Here is an oldy but goody. It appears that Allen may not have been making enough money while under house arrest.

Sometimes the truth hurts, and the truth is the basketball and football programs have had some serious issues with kids using and apparently selling drugs.

IU has once again been caught with it's pants down and anything any rivals would say just have to be accepted right now.

Do kids do these things at other schools? I have no idea, all I know is I'm tired of seeing IU in the news for this type of behavior every couple of months.

The other question asked, Is IU an ultra liberal school?? I'd say yes, hosting people like Hilary Clinton will do that to you whether you like it or not.

Hilary Clinton is hardly an 'ultra-liberal' as a matter of fact most liberals don't even think she's liberal. This is one of the weakest intellectual arguments I've seen on this board and that says something.

Here's my question - why did no one at Warren Central know this kid was a drug dealing bad apple?

"things a coach should be told ...."

they are already being paid unless you think having your school paid for is not being paid. Also these kids can get a housing allowance of around 1000 a month and if you get 2 or 3 roommates to help pay the rent then you should have plenty of spending money. Also if you come from a poor background you are able to get Pell grants that can be used to pay for things. stop blaming the system when you should start blaming these kids for making stupid mistakes.
Scott, you're absolutely right. My son has 4 other roommates on the football team in his house. He gets his monthly stipend for "total cost of attendance". The amount varies school to school. His is more than you mentioned. With eating at training table on campus (he does every day because of the nutritionist that plans their meals) and his rent is low with 5 guys in the house so, he has PLENTY of money left over.
Since he moved off campus, I haven't forked out an additional dime. He takes his girlfriend out all the time, pays his gas, his auto insurance and cell phone and I haven't heard a request for a thing, except for a plane flight home at Christmas. He said his stipend would take care of the return to school, so he only asked for a one way trip. (Of course, I took care of a round trip and told him to save his dough.) He said he is ending the semester, saving money.......for a trip to Mexico for Spring Break.
If the kids are smart, they can get by just fine. But, I can see if they are pissing it away on drugs.....well, I'm sure that gets costly.

It's not the drugs or even the money for many of these guys... It's what I call "the bad boy/tough guy factor".

They think they are living "on the edge" and circumventing societal norms. Living outside "the rules". Living the Thug Life.

They've seen it growing up in the movies and in their school hallways where the cool dudes with all the cash are drug dealing small time wanna be tough guys i.e. "Thugs".

Tough to change a guys thought processes when he grows up with that type as his role model.

From previous accounts that I've read A. Allen had all the positive support one could ever ask for. He just flushed it.

It's a real shame for all who care about him.

He probably thinks he scammed everyone but the only one he fooled was himself.

I have been on the "pay these players" bandwagon for many years. It's only NOW becoming a topic that can even be discussed without breaking a moral code. But this situation right here has absolutely nothing to do with that. He has everything he needs at his finger tips but it wasn't enough. If all he needed was some more pocket cash (that doesn't involve a part time gig obviously) than he would've maybe sold something minimally but this kat was neck deep in the game. He was greedy and wanted a lifestyle that no college would be willing to pay. That to me means he would've still done this regardless of IU giving him some stipend.

I come back to my argument that players should be allowed to get personal sponsorship's and allow alumni or boosters the ability to pay players. Its no different than shoe companies swaying players or universities declining hundreds of millions of dollars from EA Sports simply because they didn't want to pay it to the players. There are alternatives to paying players that literally wouldn't cost the university a penny. THIS situation however, has nothing to do with it.
For paying players, what is your way of paying a player at New Mexico State vs. Alabama?

Scott, you're absolutely right. My son has 4 other roommates on the football team in his house. He gets his monthly stipend for "total cost of attendance". The amount varies school to school. His is more than you mentioned. With eating at training table on campus (he does every day because of the nutritionist that plans their meals) and his rent is low with 5 guys in the house so, he has PLENTY of money left over.
Since he moved off campus, I haven't forked out an additional dime. He takes his girlfriend out all the time, pays his gas, his auto insurance and cell phone and I haven't heard a request for a thing, except for a plane flight home at Christmas. He said his stipend would take care of the return to school, so he only asked for a one way trip. (Of course, I took care of a round trip and told him to save his dough.) He said he is ending the semester, saving money.......for a trip to Mexico for Spring Break.
If the kids are smart, they can get by just fine. But, I can see if they are pissing it away on drugs.....well, I'm sure that gets costly.
My daughter is not an athlete but she did get a scholarship that covers the cost of attendance. Next year she is moving to a apartment and she will get all of the money for room and board to pay for her apartment so there is no reason an athlete can't do the same thing.

For paying players, what is your way of paying a player at New Mexico State vs. Alabama?

My theory back in June was that not all players will or deserve to be paid. Not even all players on the same roster will get paid. Essentially, the market sets a players value. If no one is wanting to pay them then who can they complain to?

With that being said, I don't know the real answer. My point is that we have to take a step back and just review everything holistically. Eliminate our common thought and perceptions of things as being bad.

My theory back in June was that not all players will or deserve to be paid. Not even all players on the same roster will get paid. Essentially, the market sets a players value. If no one is wanting to pay them then who can they complain to?

With that being said, I don't know the real answer. My point is that we have to take a step back and just review everything holistically. Eliminate our common thought and perceptions of things as being bad.
I don't think you can do it this way.
There are way too many variables in this process. How do you determine initial pay? Is it by the expectations placed upon the athlete when he comes in the school? Thereby assuring the four-star and five-star athletes get huge paydays, while ones, twos and threes are left with the scraps? And then what happens to that two star or three star player who continues to develop and becomes a top-flight Big Ten starting player? Does the player then have the ability to negotiate up? That's something that the Big Ten or anybody would never go along with because you can't control cost. Then what happens, if a kid comes to IU, let's say a Dan Feeney for example, becomes an All Big Ten player and then decides he's not getting paid enough and he's going to transfer. Test himself on the open market. You think the NCAA and the schools will allow this type of open outcry type of system for players? Not a chance.

Then you're talking about truly paying for a championship. What becomes the difference between them and the NFL at that point?

Let's look at it from a different angle. What if a player comes in, is a four-star player and is highly paid and he doesn't meet up to expectations? Can you take the money away? If you can't, because you signed a four-year/ five-year agreement at the start of his college career, wouldn't we have rampant coaches trying to drive out the kids who, in their mind, didn't quite measure up, and thus, save that money from their scholarship and apply it to the latest incoming stud? Sure we would, because after all, the coaches are paid for winning. Then it comes down to who has the biggest pocketbook, and in that case, we're destined for Texas A&M, Alabama, Florida, Ohio State and Texas to be the national champions forever. And that's just the public schools. What if Notre Dame got out the checkbook? You don't think they would write the check for national championship? What about USC? (Oops, let me take that back, they already DO get out the checkbook, bad example) What if the University with the largest endowment in the country, Harvard, decided to pay for the smartest kids on the planet to come play football there? Does Stanford, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, and Rice, even have a chance to field a team anymore?

And how pissed would you be if every year, the new "8 team" college football playoffs involved the same eight teams every year? All with the highest-paid roster.

How pissed would we be here at Indiana if two years ago, Ohio State "lets it be known what they pay for good solid lineman", Feeney has proven himself as a capable Big Ten player and he says, "IU isn't paying me enough. I think I'm going to transfer to Ohio State and go play for a national championship." If we were allowed to pay players whatever the market will bear, the transgressions by SMU will seem like small potatoes compared to what would be going on today.
You wouldn't be able to restrict it because then you're involving yourself in some free market issues and that would be in front of the Supreme Court before you could blink an eye. That's what caused EA Sports to drop their College Football game. So, Clemson has a great year and has a potential All-American freshman quarterback in Watson and a terrific receiver in Watkins and the next year, the transfer rush is on. How much money do you think a transferring Sammy Watkins could have received in an open market, if colleges could pay whatever they wanted? My guess is, it's a lot.

I agree with paying the players something. I think the pay players should receive should be somewhat close to what they could get if they had a job at school like so many other kids do. Set a limit somewhere around $3000-$5000 and be done with it. Whatever the amount, all players get the same, period.

There has to be some deterrent for football crazy boosters to stop the payments that we know go on now anyway. Imagine how boosters would abuse the system, if one of them just said," Aw hell, they're getting paid anyway!"

Last item, how many schools would fold their football programs under that type of the system? My guess is, a whole hell of a lot of them.
Here's why....
total revenue in sports has a huge disparity. Indiana is currently around 33rd in total revenue at $88 million, give or take. That is less than half of the revenue each of the top three schools receive. IU is only at about 70% of #10. How would we ever make up that revenue? Basketball? Not hardly. Big Ten Network? That's where our money comes from now. The big money comes from putting butts in the seats and having a gigantic football stadium that gets filled every week. Something that we have neither of. All of the top 10 revenue schools have a stadium close to, or over 100,000 seating capacity. The highest revenue basketball school, Kentucky, barely cracks the top 15. They do because they put an average of over 60,000 in their football games and basketball generates huge amounts with not as much expenditure. However, they almost spend as much on basketball as football and the rest of their money SEC network revenue sharing and licensing.

And what does that pay situation do to NCAA basketball? Do we end up with the same 8 to 10 schools dominant in basketball as well, because they can pay? Heading down that pay the players scenario can get awfully dangerous for schools without big budgets.

In Division I, the lower half of the entire division has less than half the revenue Indiana does, what happens to them? And… What happens to all those kids on those scholarships that they were offering that they can no longer afford because they have to pay the kids to play?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rakkasan29
I don't think you can do it this way.
There are way too many variables in this process. How do you determine initial pay? Is it by the expectations placed upon the athlete when he comes in the school? Thereby assuring the four-star and five-star athletes get huge paydays, while ones, twos and threes are left with the scraps? And then what happens to that two star or three star player who continues to develop and becomes a top-flight Big Ten starting player? Does the player then have the ability to negotiate up? That's something that the Big Ten or anybody would never go along with because you can't control cost. Then what happens, if a kid comes to IU, let's say a Dan Feeney for example, becomes an All Big Ten player and then decides he's not getting paid enough and he's going to transfer. Test himself on the open market. You think the NCAA and the schools will allow this type of open outcry type of system for players? Not a chance.

Then you're talking about truly paying for a championship. What becomes the difference between them and the NFL at that point?

Let's look at it from a different angle. What if a player comes in, is a four-star player and is highly paid and he doesn't meet up to expectations? Can you take the money away? If you can't, because you signed a four-year/ five-year agreement at the start of his college career, wouldn't we have rampant coaches trying to drive out the kids who, in their mind, didn't quite measure up, and thus, save that money from their scholarship and apply it to the latest incoming stud? Sure we would, because after all, the coaches are paid for winning. Then it comes down to who has the biggest pocketbook, and in that case, we're destined for Texas A&M, Alabama, Florida, Ohio State and Texas to be the national champions forever. And that's just the public schools. What if Notre Dame got out the checkbook? You don't think they would write the check for national championship? What about USC? (Oops, let me take that back, they already DO get out the checkbook, bad example) What if the University with the largest endowment in the country, Harvard, decided to pay for the smartest kids on the planet to come play football there? Does Stanford, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, and Rice, even have a chance to field a team anymore?

And how pissed would you be if every year, the new "8 team" college football playoffs involved the same eight teams every year? All with the highest-paid roster.

How pissed would we be here at Indiana if two years ago, Ohio State "lets it be known what they pay for good solid lineman", Feeney has proven himself as a capable Big Ten player and he says, "IU isn't paying me enough. I think I'm going to transfer to Ohio State and go play for a national championship." If we were allowed to pay players whatever the market will bear, the transgressions by SMU will seem like small potatoes compared to what would be going on today.
You wouldn't be able to restrict it because then you're involving yourself in some free market issues and that would be in front of the Supreme Court before you could blink an eye. That's what caused EA Sports to drop their College Football game. So, Clemson has a great year and has a potential All-American freshman quarterback in Watson and a terrific receiver in Watkins and the next year, the transfer rush is on. How much money do you think a transferring Sammy Watkins could have received in an open market, if colleges could pay whatever they wanted? My guess is, it's a lot.

I agree with paying the players something. I think the pay players should receive should be somewhat close to what they could get if they had a job at school like so many other kids do. Set a limit somewhere around $3000-$5000 and be done with it. Whatever the amount, all players get the same, period.

There has to be some deterrent for football crazy boosters to stop the payments that we know go on now anyway. Imagine how boosters would abuse the system, if one of them just said," Aw hell, they're getting paid anyway!"

Last item, how many schools would fold their football programs under that type of the system? My guess is, a whole hell of a lot of them.
Here's why....
total revenue in sports has a huge disparity. Indiana is currently around 33rd in total revenue at $88 million, give or take. That is less than half of the revenue each of the top three schools receive. IU is only at about 70% of #10. How would we ever make up that revenue? Basketball? Not hardly. Big Ten Network? That's where our money comes from now. The big money comes from putting butts in the seats and having a gigantic football stadium that gets filled every week. Something that we have neither of. All of the top 10 revenue schools have a stadium close to, or over 100,000 seating capacity. The highest revenue basketball school, Kentucky, barely cracks the top 15. They do because they put an average of over 60,000 in their football games and basketball generates huge amounts with not as much expenditure. However, they almost spend as much on basketball as football and the rest of their money SEC network revenue sharing and licensing.

And what does that pay situation do to NCAA basketball? Do we end up with the same 8 to 10 schools dominant in basketball as well, because they can pay? Heading down that pay the players scenario can get awfully dangerous for schools without big budgets.

In Division I, the lower half of the entire division has less than half the revenue Indiana does, what happens to them? And… What happens to all those kids on those scholarships that they were offering that they can no longer afford because they have to pay the kids to play?

Very well thought out post and you are correct on all measures. I definitely am not in favor of the NCAA taking a portion of their money off their bottom line and paying players a stipend using that. Essentially the comment you quoted me from was me adding to my original post back in June that wasn't really asking for the NCAA to pay the players. It was referencing other methods of payment that honestly wouldn't completely involve the NCAA office but more school to school as shoes/apparel are done now.

My issues have always been with the NCAA doing everything they can to hold onto archaic rules/restrictions. The NCAA decided to cancel its contract with EA Sports simply because they could lose out on the money through the Ed O'Bannon lawsuit. That was over a billion dollar contract that was declined. Why not allow EA to work out contracts with the conferences they want involved, give them even more access and player likeness for even more money and just let that money funnel down to the players for the universities involved? That costs the NCAA nothing more than coordination. It's money that is going no where now and its the reason the O'Bannon case became such a big deal. That isn't going to be the end all to solve the entire issue but its just the steps the NCAA takes to mitigate any possible compensation. It's weird.

I am also for the opportunity for endorsements. That is a market that completely drives itself. If you're good enough or can convince someone to pay you to endorse a product, have at it kid. Why restrict that? Obviously if the University emblem is being utilized then the University gets a portion as well but there are definitely ways around getting money to players in a free market system without costing the NCAA much or leaving room for players to complain. The education provided and that cost is a major benefit (some programs more than others). There is a slant in who has better educational programs offered and facilities etc as well so there will always be a hierarchy. I can see how that would bleed into boosters offering endorsements but as with anything else, we know this already happens. We'd be fooling ourselves if we didn't think it did.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT