ADVERTISEMENT

Not Your Daddy’s Soccer Program….

Big Red Crimson Buffalo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2001
Back in the day, IU soccer was elite. Dominate. Under the tutelage of Yeagly Sr., they were almost always in a championship game. I believe those started out in a period when soccer was a club sport at most universities. Flash forward to today. IU is 6th in our own conference out of 9 teams? How far the mighty have fallen. I think we can put that silly tag of “soccer school” to rest. We are not even the best program in our own conference.

Back in the day, IU soccer was elite. Dominate. Under the tutelage of Yeagly Sr., they were almost always in a championship game. I believe those started out in a period when soccer was a club sport at most universities. Flash forward to today. IU is 6th in our own conference out of 9 teams? How far the mighty have fallen. I think we can put that silly tag of “soccer school” to rest. We are not even the best program in our own conference.
I can't imagine how hard you had to think to say something this dumb. Nice work.

Hickorytree1 and Mas-sa-suta, please don't lower yourself to say, a Kentucky or Ohio State fan level. Instead of immediately making disparaging remarks in response to a poster's comment/opinion perhaps you should try to elucidate the reasons why you believe he/she is incorrect with their post. We here on the IU board are highly educated and informed with regards to our sports programs. Let us try to not make mindless, illiterate dialogue.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Hickorytree1 and Mas-sa-suta, please don't lower yourself to say, a Kentucky or Ohio State fan level. Instead of immediately making disparaging remarks in response to a poster's comment/opinion perhaps you should try to elucidate the reasons why you believe he/she is incorrect with their post. We here on the IU board are highly educated and informed with regards to our sports programs. Let us try to not make mindless, illiterate dialogue.
Do some research on Big Red CR and then get back. We do appreciate your wisdom though.

IU soccer is having a bit of an "off year" so far, but no reason to panic. The season is far from over and plenty of time left to get hot with some victories over top 10 opponents. Todd is juggling a lot of pieces, trying different combinations, subbing patterns, etc.. Relax. The bigger picture is this program played in 3 College Cups from '17-'20 and it's natural to need a rebuilding year or 2 after all that talent graduated/went pro. Jerry had some down years, as do all elite programs in all sports (Kentucky/Duke basketball, etc...). This is a good team, but lacks a superstar like Bezerra or Andrew Gutman. Todd and Robson recruit very well and will bring in plenty of studs to get us back to that College Cup level real soon.

You have ONE (1) post on this board.

I won't comment further...

So, if I had 100 posts that qualifies my comment further. Brilliant observation.

There is an issue with IU soccer but the arrows are being pointed at completely the wrong culprit.

IU soccer itself is in a very good spot and as has been mentioned has been to three final fours in the last five years. It has the nicest stadium in the conference and by far the most resources of any Big Ten team (although Maryland is similar).

The issue is college soccer in general is in a world of hurt and IU is the unwitting victim of that. The popularity is decreasing by the season and the best players are skipping college all together and the product is suffering. IU is in as good of a spot as it can be given the problems with the sport but that's the issue.

If the program goes downhill it will have zero to do with IU and everything to do with college soccer dying into the oblivion which is a big risk right now if the sport doesn't make some changes (adapting the FIFA timing rules this year is a good start but way more to do to save the sport).

So, if I had 100 posts that qualifies my comment further. Brilliant observation.
I think the point may have been that your first ever post was an attempt to tell someone with thousands of posts...how to post.

Another dud at Armstrong Stadium. UK seems to have no issue with soccer.
IU has lost to the #1 (at the time) and #2 ranked teams in the country this year, plus a tough one at Ohio State, who is also top 25. That's not reason to panic. Beat Maryland next Sunday and a tie for Big Ten is very possible. Let's see what happens in the NCAA before we start trashing the program and Todd.

Reactions: hickorytree1
IU has lost to the #1 (at the time) and #2 ranked teams in the country this year, plus a tough one at Ohio State, who is also top 25. That's not reason to panic. Beat Maryland next Sunday and a tie for Big Ten is very possible. Let's see what happens in the NCAA before we start trashing the program and Todd.
That's just his shtick.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Yes the MSL academies have thinned out the talent.
IU’s starting goalie last year looks to have a bright professional future.
IU’s best scorer left for a professional contract too.
Neither of these all America talents was replaced.

Yes the MSL academies have thinned out the talent.
IU’s starting goalie last year looks to have a bright professional future.
IU’s best scorer left for a professional contract too.
Neither of these all America talents was replaced.
This has been one of the few years where the freshman class didn't produce much either. Only 2 or 3 of them have even seen the field and no goals as far as I know. Todd needs to land a couple big fishes next year to get some scoring-either a freshman or via the transfer portal.

Ahem….

Reactions: BigMobe and kkott
You beat me to it. I particularly like the reply by yours truly on Oct 23 that says “let’s see what we do in the tournament before we start trashing Todd.”

think the original poster will show up this week? If he does he’ll claim IU got through on a busted bracket or something like that. As for the rest of us, let’s enjoy the ride another week.

You beat me to it. I particularly like the reply by yours truly on Oct 23 that says “let’s see what we do in the tournament before we start trashing Todd.”

think the original poster will show up this week? If he does he’ll claim IU got through on a busted bracket or something like that. As for the rest of us, let’s enjoy the ride another week.
No he won't show back up unless IU loses.

Reactions: BigMobe
No he won't show back up unless IU loses.
And then he'll say "another choke job by Yeagley Jr/he's not as good as his dad, etc..."

I wonder if he even follows IU soccer-or just checks the score every now and then.

Crickets from you, BRCB. Wut up? 😄

Win tonight & we return to Championship Monday. Lose, and we still made the cup - which you obviously felt was beyond our reach, given how far we’ve fallen…

Safe to say we’re still a soccer school, bruh.

Two championship games in two years.

This has to be the absolute best "did not age well" post I've ever seen here. Congrats, Buffalo!
I’ve haven’t seen him back on this board lately. He is on some other boards claiming Jerry would easily win tomorrow if he were coaching.

regardless, here’s another bump

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Crickets from you, BRCB. Wut up? 😄

Win tonight & we return to Championship Monday. Lose, and we still made the cup - which you obviously felt was beyond our reach, given how far we’ve fallen…

Safe to say we’re still a soccer school, bruh.
Honestly IU is the best/most successful soccer program in college soccer history. Slu’s championships came when there were very few teams competing. The tourney itself was tiny. The irony is Stl kids played an integral part in iu’s success. This year as well. I think there are 6 or 7 Gallagher kids on the team

I’ve haven’t seen him back on this board lately. He is on some other boards claiming Jerry would easily win tomorrow if he were coaching.

regardless, here’s another bump
Here’s to IU soccer winning it all tomorrow!
Between that and the women’s basketball team, it’s the only thing IU has in the sports world at the moment.
Our two primary revenue sports suck ass.

Honestly IU is the best/most successful soccer program in college soccer history. Slu’s championships came when there were very few teams competing. The tourney itself was tiny. The irony is Stl kids played an integral part in iu’s success. This year as well. I think there are 6 or 7 Gallagher kids on the team

Some more info along these lines.......

They mentioned IU first school to 100 wins in tourney , but didn't mention who was 2nd. So I looked it up. 2nd is Virginia with 77. VA has 7 NCs to IU's 8. But....IU will have been in 17 NC games after Monday night. Virginia has only been in 9.

FF Appearances: IU 22; St. Louis 16; UCLA: 14; MD 14; VA 12

Tourney Winning %: IU .721; VA .660; MD .653; St Louis .647; UCLA .629

Reactions: muubell
Some more info along these lines.......

They mentioned IU first school to 100 wins in tourney , but didn't mention who was 2nd. So I looked it up. 2nd is Virginia with 77. VA has 7 NCs to IU's 8. But....IU will have been in 17 NC games after Monday night. Virginia has only been in 9.

FF Appearances: IU 22; St. Louis 16; UCLA: 14; MD 14; VA 12

Tourney Winning %: IU .721; VA .660; MD .653; St Louis .647; UCLA .629
Virginia is skewed during the Bruce arena Claudio Reyna years. Slu is skewed to when there weren’t very many programs. Schools like Philadelphia textile and Alabama a&m and hartwick and the dons of San fran. Very different times. IU is the best program in college soccer. They’ve done it with American kids too for the most part. Funny thing about San fran. Their old coach was a legend. When the games would start he’d go sit in the stands with the crowd. He wasn’t a big believer in standing and screaming. Figured If they don’t know it now it’s too late lol. I always loved that

Virginia is skewed during the Bruce arena Claudio Reyna years. Slu is skewed to when there weren’t very many programs. Schools like Philadelphia textile and Alabama a&m and hartwick and the dons of San fran. Very different times. IU is the best program in college soccer. They’ve done it with American kids too for the most part. Funny thing about San fran. Their old coach was a legend. When the games would start he’d go sit in the stands with the crowd. He wasn’t a big believer in standing and screaming. Figured If they don’t know it now it’s too late lol. I always loved that
Virginia accomplished that extraordinary feat of winning 4 straight from 91 to 94. Their 94 team won the title match 1-0 over IU, which featured seniors Todd Yeagley and BrIan Maissonueve. Tomorrow night, Todd now has a chance to coach his son to a title-actually 2 sons, but Grant never plays.

It may not be Jerry’s soccer team … but no IU fan can complain about BiG regular season and tourney title.

With the win, No. 1-seeded IU (12-4-4, 4-2-2 B1G) captured its 12th Big Ten Championship Double and its fourth double in the last six years, meaning the Hoosiers have won eight of the last 12 available Big Ten titles.

In all, Indiana has won 34 Big Ten Championships in 33 seasons of conference play, combing 18 regular season and now 16 tournament titles.

Now, Indiana will chase the treble and the program's ninth national title. Clinching their record-extending 37th straight NCAA Tournament berth, No. 48 in program history, the Hoosiers will learn their starting point in the national competition during the NCAA Tournament Selection Show on Monday (Nov. 13) at 1 p.m. ET on NCAA.com.

NOTABLES
• Indiana has a chance to earn its 10th consecutive national seed on Monday, which would extend the program's NCAA record.
https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2023/11/12/mens-soccer-mens-soccer-captures-12th-big-ten-double

I’m sure Jerry is proud of Todd. Team is playing its best heading into the NCAA tourney.

Looking very dangerous too. Won 9 out of last 10. Could see them winning a couple in the NCAAs depending on draw.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT