ADVERTISEMENT

Nice bounce in attendance for 2015 expected

Last couple OSU visits

The Bucks didn't pull off the usual stadium takeover. No idea why, but while they were certainly present, there wasn't the dominating presence like there was in the latter days of Tressel's tenure.

Of course this year it's their B10 opener and they're coming off a nat'l championship season. So I also worry the chants of "O-H / I-O" will fill the stadium.

OSU at home is about the only way this AD and crew will bring a national championship team to Bloomington.
Not really concerned about a national championship team in football.
A bowl game each season would be nice though, including warm weather sites.

Reactions: FrankTGucker
I'll give you that "this crew" is unlikely to bring a national championship to IU. The odds are long that any new "crew" would either. So what? There is a ton of good football, exciting times, proud moments and, yes, anguish in the seasons ahead. A good many people following IUFB have done so for years and years, often as a player or parent of a player. To the extent that I might qualify as a knowledgeable fan, I know we have had a terrific product upgrade in virtually every respect one could name. No, I don't expect a national championship, but it is my belief that these coaches are the reason for a change of culture; that is, the expectation that our team will be competitive, often winners and will always play with a toughness that B1G football requires. Enjoy the new day.

LOL.....National Championship?

You do realize that in the history of our conference only a handful of teams have actually won a NC in college football and the vast majority of those schools were prior to 1970.'

Ohio has not had even close to half the seats in the last several visits. That stopped some time ago.

It has probably stopped due to the last few games at Memorial Stadium have been at night. This year will be a 12:00 or 3:30 game. OSU will be ranked #1 in the nation when they make the visit so I'd expect a huge Buckeye crowd.

Reactions: dick burkhart
It has probably stopped due to the last few games at Memorial Stadium have been at night. This year will be a 12:00 or 3:30 game. OSU will be ranked #1 in the nation when they make the visit so I'd expect a huge Buckeye crowd.

So you are assuming thousands of IU fans will sell their seats to Ohio fans?

I have no idea? I'm willing to bet they will travel better than previous visits.

That is very different than your last statement which was Ohio would have a "huge" crowd. They would have to greatly increase their attendance and have several thousand IU fans sell to them.

That is very different than your last statement which was Ohio would have a "huge" crowd. They would have to greatly increase their attendance and have several thousand IU fans sell to them.
"Ohio"? The Bobcats? Or are you trying to channel Bo and Brady?

Sure wish you guys would agree to a series with my Cardinals. It would be a nice/short road trip for both fan bases.

New Sure wish you guys would agree to a series with my Cardinals. It would be a nice/short road trip for both fan bases.

IU and U of L did play for a short period in the early years of the Corso era at IU. This was probably relevant in the fact that Corso's previous job was as head coach at Louisville right before taking the IU job and long before Loiusville rose in national stature under the likes of Schnellenburger, MSU's former coach who flopped (name escapes me), Petrino and Strong.
U of L put together a strong string of coaches. I recall was it Brohm also there? I'd make the drive to Papa John's to watch a home and home series.

IU and U of L did play for a short period in the early years of the Corso era at IU. This was probably relevant in the fact that Corso's previous job was as head coach at Louisville right before taking the IU job and long before Loiusville rose in national stature under the likes of Schnellenburger, MSU's former coach who flopped (name escapes me), Petrino and Strong.
U of L put together a strong string of coaches. I recall was it Brohm also there? I'd make the drive to Papa John's to watch a home and home series.

Ron Cooper and John L. Smith were post-Schnellenberger coaches.

Smith was a hoot.
A great guy and a great interview.
Bad fit at MSU, but a smart football guy.
If Jurich could have kept him, no telling.

But UofL was a CUSA member then, and Smith had a shot at a Big 10 spot.
Had to go.

Indiana and Louisville played twice in the early years of the Mallory era, but never played during the Corso years.

Indiana and Louisville played twice in the early years of the Mallory era, but never played during the Corso years.
I don't see where we have much to gain by playing UL and taking on
their genius AD.
I don't see where we have much to gain by playing UL and taking on
their genius AD.

http://www.winsipedia.com/louisville/vs/indiana
Ron Cooper and John L. Smith were post-Schnellenberger coaches.

Smith was a hoot.
A great guy and a great interview.
Bad fit at MSU, but a smart football guy.
If Jurich could have kept him, no telling.

But UofL was a CUSA member then, and Smith had a shot at a Big 10 spot.
Had to go.

You are correct. I thought we had played early in the Corso era but looks like it was 1985 and 1986. IU is 2-0 vs. the Cards. However, the lead us in really every statistical category that matters. Particularly, the bowl history.

Last couple OSU visits

The Bucks didn't pull off the usual stadium takeover. No idea why, but while they were certainly present, there wasn't the dominating presence like there was in the latter days of Tressel's tenure.

Of course this year it's their B10 opener and they're coming off a nat'l championship season. So I also worry the chants of "O-H / I-O" will fill the stadium.

That makes me think . . . YUCK!!!

I hate your attitude. This is the best upswing we have had in forty years and you are belittling the effort.

Why is this the best upswing we have had in 40 years? I think the program has steadily improved but the results haven't really materialized on the field. To say this is the best upswing we've had in forty years is quite a bit overstated.

Why is this the best upswing we have had in 40 years? I think the program has steadily improved but the results haven't really materialized on the field. To say this is the best upswing we've had in forty years is quite a bit overstated.

At the risk of jumping into the middle of a discussion (however blindly and with both feet at awkward angles given my 2" vertical leap), I think that merit can be found in both statements regarding the "upward swing" topic. In the Mallory era, there were bowl games and victories over the Buckeyes and the Wolverines in the same season (ahh! the really good old days) - performance on the field. But a decline in recruiting at the end of the Mallory era began a downward trend that continued through the early years of the Wilson era. While the field results have not yet been realized (excepting two straight Bucket wins), the last 3 recruiting classes have ranked in the top 40 nationally and the depth and talent for virtually every position group has improved each year - thus an "upward swing" which I believe WILL be realized on the field in the 2015 season. I believe another Bucket win and a post-season bowl game are in the offing!! Go IU

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT