ADVERTISEMENT

Nice article about being a human being ... 75% of you won't get it

MaxCoke

Junior
Dec 4, 2010
Secrets of the extreme religious right: Inside the frightening world of Christian Reconstructionism
The zealots pushing a horrifying vision of "religious freedom" really have in mind a new Biblical slavery
PAUL ROSENBERG Follow
TOPICS: RELIGIOUS RIGHT, RECONSTRUCTIONIST, RELIGIOUS FREEDOM, HOBBY LOBBY, TEA PARTY, NEWS

As an unprecedented shift in public opinion brought about the legalization of gay marriage, a vigorous counter-current has been intensifying under the banner of “religious freedom”—an incredibly slippery term.

Perhaps the most radical definition of such freedom comes out of the relatively obscure tradition of Christian Reconstructionism, the subject of a new book by religious studies scholar Julie Ingersoll, Building God’s Kingdom: Inside the World of Christian Reconstructionism. As Ingersoll explains, Reconstructionists basically reject the entire framework of secular political thought in which individual rights have meaning, so “freedom” as most Americans understand the term is not the issue at all. Indeed, they argue that such “freedom” is actually slavery—slavery to sin, that is.

Reconstructionists aim to establish a theocracy, though most would no doubt bristle at that description. They do not want to “take over the government” so much as they want to dismantle it. But the end result would be a social order based on biblical law—including all those Old Testament goodies like stoning gay people to death, while at the same time justifying “biblical slavery.” These extreme views are accurate, Ingersoll explained, but at the same time quite misleading in suggesting that Reconstructionism is a fringe movement with little influence on the culture.

‘If someone wants to understand these people, I think the smart thing to do is to take those really inflammatory things, acknowledge that they are there, and set them aside,” Ingersoll advised. “And then look at the stuff that’s less inflammatory, but therefore, I think, more important. I think the Christian schooling, homeschooling, creationism, the approach to economics, I think those kinds of things are far more important.

“The fights that we’re seeing right now over how religious freedom and constitutionally protected equality for the LGBT community, how those two things fit together—or don’t—that fight was presaged by theologian Rousas Rushdoony in the ’60s. He talked about that fight. Not particularly with regard to LGBT, but with regard to the expansion—it was civil rights. He didn’t say explicitly racially-based civil rights, but that’s what he was talking about in the era.”

As Ingersoll’s book explains, the influences she just mentioned are quite significant. But in order to understand them, and how they’ve succeeded, we need to understand the worldview they come out of. In the book, Ingersoll explains:

According to Rushdoony, biblical authority is God’s authority delegated to humans, who exercise dominion under God’s law in three distinct God-ordained institutions: the family, the church, and the civil government. Each of those institutions has carefully delineated and limited responsibilities. When humans decide that those institutions should serve any functions beyond the ones ordained by God, they presume the autonomy and supremacy of human reason and thus violate biblical law.

So, “tyranny” is violating that law, and the God-ordained “separation of powers” behind it, and “freedom” is opposite of “tyranny”—following the law. Understanding where this conception comes from, and where it leads to helps to shed a great deal of light on what Reconstructionists are up to, which in turn helps us begin to see the influence it has The following interview has been edited for length and clarity.

Christian Reconstruction is the term that many people may not be familiar with this. I’d like to begin by asking you to explain what it is.

This is a term that was given by Rushdoony to talk about this approach to Christian theology that focuses on reconstructing society in a way that overcomes the effects of the Fall. So, for these folks, God created Adam and Eve, put them in the Garden of Eden to have dominion. And the Fall interrupted that. With the Resurrection, people are restored to their original purpose. So the focus that he had was to set about a strategy for reconstructing the kingdom of God as it was intended to be, in the way that he understood it.

As you describe, three of the most significant aspects of Reconstructionists are pre-conceptualism, post-millennialism and theonomy. Could you explain these ideas for us and why they’re so significant?

Presuppositionalism, this comes from [theologian Cornelius] Van Til, and it basically says all knowledge starts with presuppositions. And those presuppositions – in Reconstructionist thought, there’s only two fundamental thoughts you can start with. One is you start with the revelation of God in the Bible, or you start with anything else – and “anything else” hangs together for them in the sense that if you don’t submit to God’s authority, then you are relying on your own reason, your own rationality to adjudicate right and wrong. For Reconstructionist, that goes right back to the Garden of Eden and eating the fruit of the tree of good and evil, and trying to know good and evil for themselves, and for them to label that is humanism. So “everything else” gets lumped into that category of humanism, because it is all, in their minds, a failure to submit to God’s authority, and to develop knowledge by relying on God’s revelation.

So, presuppositionalism is very important. It leads to the idea that there is no neutrality. You can’t have a secular sphere. Secularity is humanism. Secularity says, “Well, I’m not looking to God, to know whether this policy is the best one or not. I’m going to use quantifiable science through measurement, through rationality and maybe debate.” So it becomes really important for that reason. And that is areally important category for these people.

Post-millennialism and theonomy are kind of related, sometimes in the book I called them corollaries. So post-millennialism – Christianity is a tradition that posits there is a trajectory to history that leads to a culmination. Not all religions have that. In Hindoism, time is eternal and it just keeps getting reset. But Christianity has that idea. There’s a beginning of time; there’s a purpose to history; it has a trajectory – teleology is the theological term for it – and it ends somewhere. And so there’s long been Christian disagreement over how it ends.

One of the earliest versions is called premillennialism, and it says that Jesus will return before there’s the establishment of the kingdom of God on Earth. The dominant view that you see among conservative Protestants is version the premillennialist, but it dates only to the 19th century. We can get into the weeds on that, but it’s dispensationaliam. It’s the view of Hal Lindsay, and any movie that you see about the rapture, and Armageddon, and all that stuff. So it takes all those things that seem like prophecy in the Bible, it puts them off in the future, and expects the world to get worse and worse until Jesus returns.

Then there’s amillennialism, the passive view that most Catholics have. “Oh yeah, the Bible talks about the kingdom of God, but that’s in heaven. It’s not an earthly thing.” But the one that’s relevant to these folks, is perhaps one that the Puritans had—but there’s some debate over this—but this one says the kingdom of God was established at the Resurrection. Going back to that earlier thing about Genesis, so Adam and Eve left the garden and they couldn’t exercise dominion that God had created them for, and that went on for a while, until the Resurrection, that, in the view of Reconstructionists, restored humanity to its original purpose. And so that purpose is to build the kingdom of God on earth. And that is post-millennialism.

There is a second coming, but Jesus will return after Christians have filled the whole earth with good news, with the gospel. And for them, what it means is… for a lot of contemporary Christians, like preaching the gospel means going out and saying Jesus died for your sins, and people say the sinner’s prayer, and then they’re Christians But Reconstructionists are really critical of that idea. They think it starts there, perhaps, but that evangelism for them is really about teaching people to bring all of their lives under the Lordship, to make every aspect of life infused with the authority, wisdom, but a lot of the Bible. And that’s the autonomy. The way in which they establish the kingdom of God, as expected, to post-millennialists is through the application of biblical law, or theonomy.

That explains very well how post-millennialism and theonomy fit together. One thing that emerges in your book is how different their concept of freedom is from what’s commonly assumed in America today, and how the opposite of freedom is defined so differently as well – majority rule, and democracy as tyranny. This has emerged particularly in the rhetoric of “religious freedom” against gay marriage. So where does this concept of freedom come from and? And what does it entail?

That’s a good one. Some of that, at least philosophically or theologically, goes right back to that division between submission to the authority of God, and claiming authority for our own rationality. It goes right back there. So, for these Christians, the way they understand it, the only true freedom is freedom in submission to God. The thing that we might think of this freedom is actually conceived of as bondage to sin.. And in some ways, if you say were does that come from, it says that in the New Testament, right? That’s what Paul says. Paul is working with all of those inversions, to live is to suffer, and to die is gain. And the leaders are the servants, he inverts all kinds of categories in that way.

You also see some of this in the discussions about slavery. And there’s a good bit about that in the book. To me, this is one of the more interesting developments over the last decade. Because, on the one hand you do have this real minimization of the horrors of slavery, and the wrongness of slavery. You have people talking about, “It wasn’t so bad,” and “These are actually Christian families” and “People were well treated,” and “They were better treated than they were in Africa,” you get all that kind of stuff. So actual, literal slavery gets a little whitewashed if you pardon the word. Where actually being required by the federal government to fill out a tax form is considered involuntary servitude and slavery, and that’s appalling! So the other kinds of slavery are minimized, and their significance, and things with seem like – I don’t feel like going out tax forms any more than anyone else, but I don’t really think of it as actual slavery. But they talk about it that way.

By this definition, “freedom” ultimately has nothing at all to do with individual rights, or with the individual, period. And that suggests a completely different way of seeing the world, which brings me to my next question. In contrast to terms like “fundamentalism” and “modernism” you suggest a more profound grasp of what’s going on with Christian Reconstructionist them can be gotten via the terms of “maximalist” versus “minimalist.” Can you explain what this distinction is and how it helps us understand what’s going on?

I’m really glad you highlight that, actually. That division, that categorization comes from Bruce Lincoln, a scholar religion at the University of Chicago. Part of the problem with that fundamentalism/modernism division is it denies that fundamentalism is essentially modern. I mean, it’s really, really modern. When you look at how their fighting the battle between creationism and evolution, they turned creationism into science. They’re really really modern. Now, they are opposed to secular types of modernity, but they are not really opposed to modernity. And in many ways the crises of modernity are what give rise to specific answers they offer. Plus, I think that that division, the meaning of those terms changes from one context to the next. So I think they are really difficult words to use, at least with any scholarly accuracy. In everyday discourse it might work okay, particularly if you’re in a conversation with people who sort of share some understandings and assumptions. But then all of a sudden you have people who are trying to talk about fundamentalism as a global phenomenon, and that’s really problematic. I think.

But what Lincoln does, Lincoln says – and it’s still entangled with modernity – but he says that in modern period, we’ve compartmentalized life. And so, instead of having religion infuse every aspect of out lives, for the most part people who look at the world with modernist eyes think of parts of life as being religious or spiritual, and parts of life being scientific, and parts of it being rational.

So we might be really different persons at work than we are in our families, or that we might be in our churches or at our schools. And each of these realms has its own sets of rules, and we have our own understanding of our diverse identities within the spaces, And so people who are comfortable moving in that way, and who see most of life as secular, and then set off a severe specific sphere in which religion remains salient, as I was just saying, if you divide life in up into all these spears that have their own sources of authority, and rules and functions and ethics, your own identity varies between them. Then religion is off on its own, and its supreme in its own sphere, but it doesn’t infuse all of the others.

For Lincoln, that is minimalist. Religion has its own sphere, but its influence is limited, it’s minimal with regard to all of the others. So we, in the modern world, don’t necessarily think of work, for example, as religious. And this is part of what’s underneath the debate over where to draw the line in the wake of the Supreme Court’s marriage decision. So, if we’re going to have marriage exemptions, that allow people to even violate discrimination laws, on the basis of religion conviction, we’re going to have to say where the line is of what counts as religion. For those of us are minimalists, we say, “Oh, that’s easy, it’s church. Okay, well maybe it’s Christian schools.” But then you get these broader categories, where you’ve got hospitals, that have historic roots in religious traditions, but now use all kinds of public funds. Are they religious? Are they secular? A minimalist will say those are going to be secular, but a maximalist says no, everything is essentially religious, for a maximalist. So I think that framework is much more effective for thinking through these conflicts than trying to think in terms of fundamentalism.

One more point on that. You see the culmination of this in the Hobby Lobby case. For all intents and purposes, for most of us in America, this is a secular matter; there may be a religious overlay to it, but for them it’s not. It’s calling, it’s deeply infused with religion. But I don’t think it’s there just saying that. for the purpose of making a legal case to do something they want to do. I actually don’t think that. I think they really see it as infusing all of life, or at least as ought to be infusing all of life. They see themselves as seeking to infuse all of life with religion.

With all the above under our belt, we’re now in a position to ask about why the impact of Reconstructionism has not been widely recognized, when it is arguably one of the most coherent responses on behalf of maximalism. So, why is it?

Well, there’s a bunch of reasons. Some of the people don’t like to be identified with Reconstructionist but another reason is that the influence is unrecognized is because so much of what’s been written about them – and there’s real substantial exceptions, but up until recently so much of what was written was “Rushdoony advocates stoning of homosexuals,” so yeah, he did do that, but if all you’re going to do is take those really far out crazy things and just focus on those, you’re going to miss the real influence. Because culturally we’re moving, thankfully, in the other direction on LGBT rights. But when you look at the Reconstructionist’s world much more broadly, you see places where the influence is deep and profound. And It’s not so far out there that these things will never happen.

Reconstructionists have been arguing since the ’60s for the replacement of public education, with at first Christian schools, and then homeschools, for the privatization of public education, the dismantleing of public education, they believe that public education is unbiblical, and they want it to go away, and they’ve been writing this since the ’60s. And I don’t just mean they wrote the 60s left it there. They’ve been writing it consistently over and over and over again, through those decades, and I think that that’s a place where they are having a pretty powerful impact.

When Rushdoony started writing, there wasn’t a Christian school movement, there wasn’t a homeschool movement, and when those things got started, and parents run afoul of truancy laws in states that said your kids have to be in school – and then, of course, it says well, what counts as a school – Rushdoony was the expert witness in many of those cases that secured the right of parents to choose the education of their children that based on their religion, and in many places, with almost complete autonomy from the state.

So Christian schools and homeschools in many places are not regulated, they are not under any kind of supervision. He [Rushdoony] argued that that was a First Amendment fundamental freedom, for parents to be able to teach their children apart from any influernce of the federal government, or from state government, from civil government. And I think you see them having attained a level of success with regard to that goal, and I think the influence that permeating society.

I think the way in which the divide over evolution and creationism is greater now than it was 50 years ago. You would expect science over time to win out over creation mythology, and maybe it will, over time. But the fact that the American public has gone in the other direction with regard to that, I think that’s a result of particular version of creationism that has overtaken all the others, and that version is not only rooted in presuppostionalism, It was also initiated and popularized through a set of books that started with The Genesis Flood, that was going to be published by Moody, and when Moody bailed on the book, Rushdoony got it published trhough his publisher. So I’m not saying he’s responsible for it, it’s not all him. But he is a figure that was integral in that transformation in ways I don’t think gets written about, because people write about him wanting to execute homosexuals or any number of other extreme things, all that stuff.

Another area where Reconstructionists have been influential has been the revival of neo-Confederate ideology, and related views on race and slavery. What can you tell us about that?

There was a time that I would put Rushdoony’s Southern Presbyterianism, and views on racism and slavey, there was a time I would have put that in the same category as the category of executing gays and lesbians. I have, over the course writing the book, come to see the prevalent influence of Confederates Southern Presbyterianism, Southern Christianity, Southern ideology – you know, part of that comes from me being a Yankee from Maine, living in the South all these years – but the persistence of those perspectives I think also goes back not exclusively to Rushdoony, obviously, those ideas predate Rushdoony, they exist in all kinds of pockets in American culture.

But one of the pockets is the pocket were Rushdoony brought [19th Century pro-Confederate theologian Robert Lewis] Dabney back into the theological discourse among conservative reformed Christians. And I see that as the place [forming] this nexus with the Tea Party. You have to know a lot about Reconstructionism, and the got a know a good bit about Southern history, in order for that to ring off a bell, right? If you don’t know Rushdoony, when you read stuff about ‘oh legitimation of slavery,’ or let’s talk about equality this is really interesting.

Again, I’m a New Englander. So, I used to hear people talk about conservatives being opposed to equality, I just thought that was kind of liberal rhetoric, that liberals say things about conservatives, conservatives say things about liberals, that are just ideologically driven. So, liberals will say that conservatives are opposed to quality, but it never occurred to me that that was actually just a description, I thought that that was just an ideological charge, and that conservatives would answer back, “Well, yes we do, we mean something different by it.”

But actually, if you read Rushdoony carefully, there’s an argument there that dates right back to Dabney and the pre-Civil War stuff, that equality itself is not a value. That people aren’t equal. That people are different, and the law, that God ordained some of that difference. That’s Calvinism; that’s predestination. So people exist in the place in society were God has put them. And the idea that equality just on its own is a value, is really challenged by this particular worldview. And that goes right back to pre-Civil War thinking, and I see it all around me in Southern culture.

So there are ways in which Rushdoony is so far afield from any kind of public discourse that he be written off as just an extreme fringe person. There are other ways in which he is right in the center of a lot of what’s going on that you wouldn’t know unless you read him more deeply than people have largely read him.

The influence of neo-Confederate thought connects with the Tea Party, and another thing that also plays into that is Gary North’s work on biblical economics. So I wonder if you might speak to that as well?

Sure. Again I think this is another huge area of influence. No one ever writes about Reconstructionism and economics. They just don’t write about it. They write about family, they write about gender, they write about schools, but there’s not much about economics except for that guy, who is that his book is out now, McVicer, he’s done an intellectual history of Rushdoony, as his dissertation, and now published, it’s very good, and in the process of writing it, he wrote a couple of articles here and there, and there was one called “Libertarian Theocrats”, and it’s good, it was really good. [Available here.]

So, for Reconstructionists a whole a lot of everything comes down to property, and therefore economics is crucial. And for Reconstructionist, in that sphere sovereignty, that division of authority into family church and civil government, all economic activity is a function of the family. And so economics becomes a really important discipline for them—I mean like an academic discipline, the study of economics, it’s really important. And you’re right, like David Chilton did some work on economics, but Gary North has had a role to play for a really long time, you know—the early ties to Ron Paul [on his congressional staff in 1976] and libertarian economics.

North, I’ve heard him say, “Rothbard and those guys they really get biblical economics, they don’t understand that it comes from the Bible. So they fall down in humanism.” is how he says it. But the economic framework that they advocate is the biblical economic framework. So for North it’s because this is a function of family, and family authority is autonomous from the civil government’. And so that pairs very nicely with a libertarian view of economics that says the government should stay out of the economic choices, and economic decisions.

I think that they have also been broadly influential there, and obviously I don’t think that – the Tea Party isn’t even a thing, right? it’s a catchphrase, but it’s not some “Tea Party” that has a Chief Minister of Economics that went to ask about biblical law and imported that into the party, it’s much more fluid than that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Secrets of the extreme religious right: Inside the frightening world of Christian Reconstructionism
The zealots pushing a horrifying vision of "religious freedom" really have in mind a new Biblical slavery
PAUL ROSENBERG Follow
TOPICS: RELIGIOUS RIGHT, RECONSTRUCTIONIST, RELIGIOUS FREEDOM, HOBBY LOBBY, TEA PARTY, NEWS

As an unprecedented shift in public opinion brought about the legalization of gay marriage, a vigorous counter-current has been intensifying under the banner of “religious freedom”—an incredibly slippery term.

Perhaps the most radical definition of such freedom comes out of the relatively obscure tradition of Christian Reconstructionism, the subject of a new book by religious studies scholar Julie Ingersoll, Building God’s Kingdom: Inside the World of Christian Reconstructionism. As Ingersoll explains, Reconstructionists basically reject the entire framework of secular political thought in which individual rights have meaning, so “freedom” as most Americans understand the term is not the issue at all. Indeed, they argue that such “freedom” is actually slavery—slavery to sin, that is.

Reconstructionists aim to establish a theocracy, though most would no doubt bristle at that description. They do not want to “take over the government” so much as they want to dismantle it. But the end result would be a social order based on biblical law—including all those Old Testament goodies like stoning gay people to death, while at the same time justifying “biblical slavery.” These extreme views are accurate, Ingersoll explained, but at the same time quite misleading in suggesting that Reconstructionism is a fringe movement with little influence on the culture.

‘If someone wants to understand these people, I think the smart thing to do is to take those really inflammatory things, acknowledge that they are there, and set them aside,” Ingersoll advised. “And then look at the stuff that’s less inflammatory, but therefore, I think, more important. I think the Christian schooling, homeschooling, creationism, the approach to economics, I think those kinds of things are far more important.

“The fights that we’re seeing right now over how religious freedom and constitutionally protected equality for the LGBT community, how those two things fit together—or don’t—that fight was presaged by theologian Rousas Rushdoony in the ’60s. He talked about that fight. Not particularly with regard to LGBT, but with regard to the expansion—it was civil rights. He didn’t say explicitly racially-based civil rights, but that’s what he was talking about in the era.”

As Ingersoll’s book explains, the influences she just mentioned are quite significant. But in order to understand them, and how they’ve succeeded, we need to understand the worldview they come out of. In the book, Ingersoll explains:

According to Rushdoony, biblical authority is God’s authority delegated to humans, who exercise dominion under God’s law in three distinct God-ordained institutions: the family, the church, and the civil government. Each of those institutions has carefully delineated and limited responsibilities. When humans decide that those institutions should serve any functions beyond the ones ordained by God, they presume the autonomy and supremacy of human reason and thus violate biblical law.

So, “tyranny” is violating that law, and the God-ordained “separation of powers” behind it, and “freedom” is opposite of “tyranny”—following the law. Understanding where this conception comes from, and where it leads to helps to shed a great deal of light on what Reconstructionists are up to, which in turn helps us begin to see the influence it has The following interview has been edited for length and clarity.

Christian Reconstruction is the term that many people may not be familiar with this. I’d like to begin by asking you to explain what it is.

This is a term that was given by Rushdoony to talk about this approach to Christian theology that focuses on reconstructing society in a way that overcomes the effects of the Fall. So, for these folks, God created Adam and Eve, put them in the Garden of Eden to have dominion. And the Fall interrupted that. With the Resurrection, people are restored to their original purpose. So the focus that he had was to set about a strategy for reconstructing the kingdom of God as it was intended to be, in the way that he understood it.

As you describe, three of the most significant aspects of Reconstructionists are pre-conceptualism, post-millennialism and theonomy. Could you explain these ideas for us and why they’re so significant?

Presuppositionalism, this comes from [theologian Cornelius] Van Til, and it basically says all knowledge starts with presuppositions. And those presuppositions – in Reconstructionist thought, there’s only two fundamental thoughts you can start with. One is you start with the revelation of God in the Bible, or you start with anything else – and “anything else” hangs together for them in the sense that if you don’t submit to God’s authority, then you are relying on your own reason, your own rationality to adjudicate right and wrong. For Reconstructionist, that goes right back to the Garden of Eden and eating the fruit of the tree of good and evil, and trying to know good and evil for themselves, and for them to label that is humanism. So “everything else” gets lumped into that category of humanism, because it is all, in their minds, a failure to submit to God’s authority, and to develop knowledge by relying on God’s revelation.

So, presuppositionalism is very important. It leads to the idea that there is no neutrality. You can’t have a secular sphere. Secularity is humanism. Secularity says, “Well, I’m not looking to God, to know whether this policy is the best one or not. I’m going to use quantifiable science through measurement, through rationality and maybe debate.” So it becomes really important for that reason. And that is areally important category for these people.

Post-millennialism and theonomy are kind of related, sometimes in the book I called them corollaries. So post-millennialism – Christianity is a tradition that posits there is a trajectory to history that leads to a culmination. Not all religions have that. In Hindoism, time is eternal and it just keeps getting reset. But Christianity has that idea. There’s a beginning of time; there’s a purpose to history; it has a trajectory – teleology is the theological term for it – and it ends somewhere. And so there’s long been Christian disagreement over how it ends.

One of the earliest versions is called premillennialism, and it says that Jesus will return before there’s the establishment of the kingdom of God on Earth. The dominant view that you see among conservative Protestants is version the premillennialist, but it dates only to the 19th century. We can get into the weeds on that, but it’s dispensationaliam. It’s the view of Hal Lindsay, and any movie that you see about the rapture, and Armageddon, and all that stuff. So it takes all those things that seem like prophecy in the Bible, it puts them off in the future, and expects the world to get worse and worse until Jesus returns.

Then there’s amillennialism, the passive view that most Catholics have. “Oh yeah, the Bible talks about the kingdom of God, but that’s in heaven. It’s not an earthly thing.” But the one that’s relevant to these folks, is perhaps one that the Puritans had—but there’s some debate over this—but this one says the kingdom of God was established at the Resurrection. Going back to that earlier thing about Genesis, so Adam and Eve left the garden and they couldn’t exercise dominion that God had created them for, and that went on for a while, until the Resurrection, that, in the view of Reconstructionists, restored humanity to its original purpose. And so that purpose is to build the kingdom of God on earth. And that is post-millennialism.

There is a second coming, but Jesus will return after Christians have filled the whole earth with good news, with the gospel. And for them, what it means is… for a lot of contemporary Christians, like preaching the gospel means going out and saying Jesus died for your sins, and people say the sinner’s prayer, and then they’re Christians But Reconstructionists are really critical of that idea. They think it starts there, perhaps, but that evangelism for them is really about teaching people to bring all of their lives under the Lordship, to make every aspect of life infused with the authority, wisdom, but a lot of the Bible. And that’s the autonomy. The way in which they establish the kingdom of God, as expected, to post-millennialists is through the application of biblical law, or theonomy.

That explains very well how post-millennialism and theonomy fit together. One thing that emerges in your book is how different their concept of freedom is from what’s commonly assumed in America today, and how the opposite of freedom is defined so differently as well – majority rule, and democracy as tyranny. This has emerged particularly in the rhetoric of “religious freedom” against gay marriage. So where does this concept of freedom come from and? And what does it entail?

That’s a good one. Some of that, at least philosophically or theologically, goes right back to that division between submission to the authority of God, and claiming authority for our own rationality. It goes right back there. So, for these Christians, the way they understand it, the only true freedom is freedom in submission to God. The thing that we might think of this freedom is actually conceived of as bondage to sin.. And in some ways, if you say were does that come from, it says that in the New Testament, right? That’s what Paul says. Paul is working with all of those inversions, to live is to suffer, and to die is gain. And the leaders are the servants, he inverts all kinds of categories in that way.

You also see some of this in the discussions about slavery. And there’s a good bit about that in the book. To me, this is one of the more interesting developments over the last decade. Because, on the one hand you do have this real minimization of the horrors of slavery, and the wrongness of slavery. You have people talking about, “It wasn’t so bad,” and “These are actually Christian families” and “People were well treated,” and “They were better treated than they were in Africa,” you get all that kind of stuff. So actual, literal slavery gets a little whitewashed if you pardon the word. Where actually being required by the federal government to fill out a tax form is considered involuntary servitude and slavery, and that’s appalling! So the other kinds of slavery are minimized, and their significance, and things with seem like – I don’t feel like going out tax forms any more than anyone else, but I don’t really think of it as actual slavery. But they talk about it that way.

By this definition, “freedom” ultimately has nothing at all to do with individual rights, or with the individual, period. And that suggests a completely different way of seeing the world, which brings me to my next question. In contrast to terms like “fundamentalism” and “modernism” you suggest a more profound grasp of what’s going on with Christian Reconstructionist them can be gotten via the terms of “maximalist” versus “minimalist.” Can you explain what this distinction is and how it helps us understand what’s going on?

I’m really glad you highlight that, actually. That division, that categorization comes from Bruce Lincoln, a scholar religion at the University of Chicago. Part of the problem with that fundamentalism/modernism division is it denies that fundamentalism is essentially modern. I mean, it’s really, really modern. When you look at how their fighting the battle between creationism and evolution, they turned creationism into science. They’re really really modern. Now, they are opposed to secular types of modernity, but they are not really opposed to modernity. And in many ways the crises of modernity are what give rise to specific answers they offer. Plus, I think that that division, the meaning of those terms changes from one context to the next. So I think they are really difficult words to use, at least with any scholarly accuracy. In everyday discourse it might work okay, particularly if you’re in a conversation with people who sort of share some understandings and assumptions. But then all of a sudden you have people who are trying to talk about fundamentalism as a global phenomenon, and that’s really problematic. I think.

But what Lincoln does, Lincoln says – and it’s still entangled with modernity – but he says that in modern period, we’ve compartmentalized life. And so, instead of having religion infuse every aspect of out lives, for the most part people who look at the world with modernist eyes think of parts of life as being religious or spiritual, and parts of life being scientific, and parts of it being rational.

So we might be really different persons at work than we are in our families, or that we might be in our churches or at our schools. And each of these realms has its own sets of rules, and we have our own understanding of our diverse identities within the spaces, And so people who are comfortable moving in that way, and who see most of life as secular, and then set off a severe specific sphere in which religion remains salient, as I was just saying, if you divide life in up into all these spears that have their own sources of authority, and rules and functions and ethics, your own identity varies between them. Then religion is off on its own, and its supreme in its own sphere, but it doesn’t infuse all of the others.

For Lincoln, that is minimalist. Religion has its own sphere, but its influence is limited, it’s minimal with regard to all of the others. So we, in the modern world, don’t necessarily think of work, for example, as religious. And this is part of what’s underneath the debate over where to draw the line in the wake of the Supreme Court’s marriage decision. So, if we’re going to have marriage exemptions, that allow people to even violate discrimination laws, on the basis of religion conviction, we’re going to have to say where the line is of what counts as religion. For those of us are minimalists, we say, “Oh, that’s easy, it’s church. Okay, well maybe it’s Christian schools.” But then you get these broader categories, where you’ve got hospitals, that have historic roots in religious traditions, but now use all kinds of public funds. Are they religious? Are they secular? A minimalist will say those are going to be secular, but a maximalist says no, everything is essentially religious, for a maximalist. So I think that framework is much more effective for thinking through these conflicts than trying to think in terms of fundamentalism.

One more point on that. You see the culmination of this in the Hobby Lobby case. For all intents and purposes, for most of us in America, this is a secular matter; there may be a religious overlay to it, but for them it’s not. It’s calling, it’s deeply infused with religion. But I don’t think it’s there just saying that. for the purpose of making a legal case to do something they want to do. I actually don’t think that. I think they really see it as infusing all of life, or at least as ought to be infusing all of life. They see themselves as seeking to infuse all of life with religion.

With all the above under our belt, we’re now in a position to ask about why the impact of Reconstructionism has not been widely recognized, when it is arguably one of the most coherent responses on behalf of maximalism. So, why is it?

Well, there’s a bunch of reasons. Some of the people don’t like to be identified with Reconstructionist but another reason is that the influence is unrecognized is because so much of what’s been written about them – and there’s real substantial exceptions, but up until recently so much of what was written was “Rushdoony advocates stoning of homosexuals,” so yeah, he did do that, but if all you’re going to do is take those really far out crazy things and just focus on those, you’re going to miss the real influence. Because culturally we’re moving, thankfully, in the other direction on LGBT rights. But when you look at the Reconstructionist’s world much more broadly, you see places where the influence is deep and profound. And It’s not so far out there that these things will never happen.

Reconstructionists have been arguing since the ’60s for the replacement of public education, with at first Christian schools, and then homeschools, for the privatization of public education, the dismantleing of public education, they believe that public education is unbiblical, and they want it to go away, and they’ve been writing this since the ’60s. And I don’t just mean they wrote the 60s left it there. They’ve been writing it consistently over and over and over again, through those decades, and I think that that’s a place where they are having a pretty powerful impact.

When Rushdoony started writing, there wasn’t a Christian school movement, there wasn’t a homeschool movement, and when those things got started, and parents run afoul of truancy laws in states that said your kids have to be in school – and then, of course, it says well, what counts as a school – Rushdoony was the expert witness in many of those cases that secured the right of parents to choose the education of their children that based on their religion, and in many places, with almost complete autonomy from the state.

So Christian schools and homeschools in many places are not regulated, they are not under any kind of supervision. He [Rushdoony] argued that that was a First Amendment fundamental freedom, for parents to be able to teach their children apart from any influernce of the federal government, or from state government, from civil government. And I think you see them having attained a level of success with regard to that goal, and I think the influence that permeating society.

I think the way in which the divide over evolution and creationism is greater now than it was 50 years ago. You would expect science over time to win out over creation mythology, and maybe it will, over time. But the fact that the American public has gone in the other direction with regard to that, I think that’s a result of particular version of creationism that has overtaken all the others, and that version is not only rooted in presuppostionalism, It was also initiated and popularized through a set of books that started with The Genesis Flood, that was going to be published by Moody, and when Moody bailed on the book, Rushdoony got it published trhough his publisher. So I’m not saying he’s responsible for it, it’s not all him. But he is a figure that was integral in that transformation in ways I don’t think gets written about, because people write about him wanting to execute homosexuals or any number of other extreme things, all that stuff.

Another area where Reconstructionists have been influential has been the revival of neo-Confederate ideology, and related views on race and slavery. What can you tell us about that?

There was a time that I would put Rushdoony’s Southern Presbyterianism, and views on racism and slavey, there was a time I would have put that in the same category as the category of executing gays and lesbians. I have, over the course writing the book, come to see the prevalent influence of Confederates Southern Presbyterianism, Southern Christianity, Southern ideology – you know, part of that comes from me being a Yankee from Maine, living in the South all these years – but the persistence of those perspectives I think also goes back not exclusively to Rushdoony, obviously, those ideas predate Rushdoony, they exist in all kinds of pockets in American culture.

But one of the pockets is the pocket were Rushdoony brought [19th Century pro-Confederate theologian Robert Lewis] Dabney back into the theological discourse among conservative reformed Christians. And I see that as the place [forming] this nexus with the Tea Party. You have to know a lot about Reconstructionism, and the got a know a good bit about Southern history, in order for that to ring off a bell, right? If you don’t know Rushdoony, when you read stuff about ‘oh legitimation of slavery,’ or let’s talk about equality this is really interesting.

Again, I’m a New Englander. So, I used to hear people talk about conservatives being opposed to equality, I just thought that was kind of liberal rhetoric, that liberals say things about conservatives, conservatives say things about liberals, that are just ideologically driven. So, liberals will say that conservatives are opposed to quality, but it never occurred to me that that was actually just a description, I thought that that was just an ideological charge, and that conservatives would answer back, “Well, yes we do, we mean something different by it.”

But actually, if you read Rushdoony carefully, there’s an argument there that dates right back to Dabney and the pre-Civil War stuff, that equality itself is not a value. That people aren’t equal. That people are different, and the law, that God ordained some of that difference. That’s Calvinism; that’s predestination. So people exist in the place in society were God has put them. And the idea that equality just on its own is a value, is really challenged by this particular worldview. And that goes right back to pre-Civil War thinking, and I see it all around me in Southern culture.

So there are ways in which Rushdoony is so far afield from any kind of public discourse that he be written off as just an extreme fringe person. There are other ways in which he is right in the center of a lot of what’s going on that you wouldn’t know unless you read him more deeply than people have largely read him.

The influence of neo-Confederate thought connects with the Tea Party, and another thing that also plays into that is Gary North’s work on biblical economics. So I wonder if you might speak to that as well?

Sure. Again I think this is another huge area of influence. No one ever writes about Reconstructionism and economics. They just don’t write about it. They write about family, they write about gender, they write about schools, but there’s not much about economics except for that guy, who is that his book is out now, McVicer, he’s done an intellectual history of Rushdoony, as his dissertation, and now published, it’s very good, and in the process of writing it, he wrote a couple of articles here and there, and there was one called “Libertarian Theocrats”, and it’s good, it was really good. [Available here.]

So, for Reconstructionists a whole a lot of everything comes down to property, and therefore economics is crucial. And for Reconstructionist, in that sphere sovereignty, that division of authority into family church and civil government, all economic activity is a function of the family. And so economics becomes a really important discipline for them—I mean like an academic discipline, the study of economics, it’s really important. And you’re right, like David Chilton did some work on economics, but Gary North has had a role to play for a really long time, you know—the early ties to Ron Paul [on his congressional staff in 1976] and libertarian economics.

North, I’ve heard him say, “Rothbard and those guys they really get biblical economics, they don’t understand that it comes from the Bible. So they fall down in humanism.” is how he says it. But the economic framework that they advocate is the biblical economic framework. So for North it’s because this is a function of family, and family authority is autonomous from the civil government’. And so that pairs very nicely with a libertarian view of economics that says the government should stay out of the economic choices, and economic decisions.

I think that they have also been broadly influential there, and obviously I don’t think that – the Tea Party isn’t even a thing, right? it’s a catchphrase, but it’s not some “Tea Party” that has a Chief Minister of Economics that went to ask about biblical law and imported that into the party, it’s much more fluid than that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Similarities between Christian Reconstructionism and ISIS

Couldn't help but note the similarities between the ISIS version of Islam and governing to Christian Reconstructionism as presented in the book review by Rosenberg.

A few examples are as follows,

1. “Freedom” is actually slavery—slavery to sin, that is.
2. Social order based on biblical law
3. Reject the entire framework of secular political thought
as reconstructionists aim to establish a theocracy
4. True freedom is freedom in submission to God
5. That people aren’t equal. That people are different, and the law, that God ordained some of that difference.

ISIS doesn't believe in our traditions of freedom, secular governing, or democracy. Neither does Christian Reconstructionism if Rosenberg's analysis is correct.

Last edited:
Paul Rosenberg in Salon - that's bad enough, writes for a progressive atheist blog and for Al Jazeera. Great source. He is a self described progressive atheist. Yup 10 people on the planet read this super extremist.

Similarities between Christian Reconstructionism and ISIS

Couldn't help but note the similarities between the ISIS version of Islam and governing to Christian Reconstructionism as presented by Rosenberg.

A few examples are as follows,

1. “Freedom” is actually slavery—slavery to sin, that is.
2. Social order based on biblical law
3. Reject the entire framework of secular political thought
as reconstructionists aim to establish a theocracy
4. True freedom is freedom in submission to God
5. That people aren’t equal. That people are different, and the law, that God ordained some of that difference.

ISIS doesn't believe in our traditions of freedom, secular governing, or democracy. Neither does Christian Reconstructionism if Rosenberg's analysis is correct.
Rosenberg is correct about what Christian Reconstructionism is. However, don't get too worried about an American ISIS anytime soon. There are differences between America and the Middle East that that help prevent that kind of thing from happening. The biggest one I can think of is wealth. Many of the most radical jihadis over there are (or were) dirt poor, with nothing to lose. A lot of the radical Christians here are actually kind of comfortable. A second big one would be the fact that our government isn't Syria's. An armed insurrection in the United States will last only as long as it takes for the feds to decide they've played with kid gloves long enough.

For the reconstructionists to accomplish here what they did over there, they'd have to invade and take over the administrative, judicial and military spheres of government all at once.

Paul Rosenberg in Salon - that's bad enough, writes for a progressive atheist blog and for Al Jazeera. Great source. He is a self described progressive atheist. Yup 10 people on the planet read this super extremist.

Here's what you missed, Ladoga: Rosenberg was reporting on a book by a scholar, Julie Ingersoll, not positing any of those conclusions based on his own analysis.

Your attack on the reporter merely establishes your incompetence at dealing with the substantive elements of the report.

Frankly, I find Ingersoll's conclusions to be very similar to my own observations of what is happening within much of the evangelical Christian community.

Reactions: MaxCoke

Shorter Ladoga: "He doesn't agree with me, he isn't credible."

Plus, Al Jazeera is a funny soundin' A-rab name and I don't trust them there A-rab names.

Al-Jazeera has done a good job of filling the gap of news reporting with a worldwide slant that BBC has been begging to abandon. They deserve more respect from people. Certainly better than Fox or MSNBC, and almost certainly better than CNN, too.

"Those that can't think for themselves copy and paste." Oops. For the life of me I can't think of a reason why my computer allows me to copy from one site and paste to another. Oh well, I guess I am too brain-dead to figure it out.

Those that can't think for themselves copy and paste

I did repeat many of the book review observations to prove my point. My point did take some thinking. The point being that ISIS and Christian Reconstuctionism have some similarities.

The photo is a known fake. We all know God is a white guy. He looks very similar to the Duck Dynasty cast.

I like to picture my Abrahamic God wearing a mesh tank top, driving a 1984 Camaro, and firing a .45 into the air while Ted Nugent is playing over the radio.

Here's what you missed, Ladoga: Rosenberg was reporting on a book by a scholar, Julie Ingersoll, not positing any of those conclusions based on his own analysis.

Your attack on the reporter merely establishes your incompetence at dealing with the substantive elements of the report.

Frankly, I find Ingersoll's conclusions to be very similar to my own observations of what is happening within much of the evangelical Christian community.
I didn't "miss" that, Sope. Just as the left here denigrate certain sources, I denigrate Salon and the work of anyone who would be found there. The guy didn't choose an article because he disagreed with it. He wrote about it in Salon out of his progressive atheist approval of it. He's a stark raving Christian hater. We shouldn't approve him here. Surely you don't approve of his work, eh?

So because Atheists aren't brainwashed to follow other Atheists like you find in religion, the writings are incorrect? All religion is entirely based on opinion and choice. There are no facts. So how is whatever Rosenberg writes any different?

Other than the fact that you personally don't like it.

So because Atheists aren't brainwashed to follow other Atheists like you find in religion, the writings are incorrect? All religion is entirely based on opinion and choice. There are no facts. So how is whatever Rosenberg writes any different?

Other than the fact that you personally don't like it.
That's not the issue. The issue is posting his work here without labeling his bias. He's a wild eyed extremist being pawned off as some kind of writer of value. I don't object to bias. I object to unlabeled bias as when the media don't tell us who they vote for and pretending to be neutral or unbiased. That's a walking writing lie and its done everyday.

PAUL ROSENBERG Follow

ADVERTISEMENT

A pure theocracy will someday come when Jesus returns to rule the world from Jerusalem with an iron scepter. He will be a benevolent dictator. The problem with dictators today is they don't really care about their people, only themselves. Then you have some who want to help people and are striving to gain the power to make it happen. Yet they don't really know what the needs are of the people. Jesus will be perfect in His love for the folks He rules on this Earth, and He will always know perfectly how to administrate His Kingdom.
Now, before all this happens we Christians are like everybody else. We live in a world that is regulated and administered by mere mortals. They are flawed,sinful, and sometimes just make errors in judgment. I am not wanting to be ruled by a finite person who thinks of himself as the hand of God on Earth. I await the true God Man Jesus Christ who will do all things well.

A pure theocracy will someday come when Jesus returns to rule the world from Jerusalem with an iron scepter. He will be a benevolent dictator. The problem with dictators today is they don't really care about their people, only themselves. Then you have some who want to help people and are striving to gain the power to make it happen. Yet they don't really know what the needs are of the people. Jesus will be perfect in His love for the folks He rules on this Earth, and He will always know perfectly how to administrate His Kingdom.
Now, before all this happens we Christians are like everybody else. We live in a world that is regulated and administered by mere mortals. They are flawed,sinful, and sometimes just make errors in judgment. I am not wanting to be ruled by a finite person who thinks of himself as the hand of God on Earth. I await the true God Man Jesus Christ who will do all things well.

Ok, this sounds not far off from Isis propaganda. They actually also believe Jesus will return. And fight on their side against the Romans....Aka the US.

That's not the issue. The issue is posting his work here without labeling his bias. He's a wild eyed extremist being pawned off as some kind of writer of value. I don't object to bias. I object to unlabeled bias as when the media don't tell us who they vote for and pretending to be neutral or unbiased. That's a walking writing lie and its done everyday.

Does that mean you will be adding a note to all of your posts stating that you are a paid political activist and your views should be understood as being influenced by your employment and your biases?

Reactions: mjvcaj
I didn't "miss" that, Sope. Just as the left here denigrate certain sources, I denigrate Salon and the work of anyone who would be found there. The guy didn't choose an article because he disagreed with it. He wrote about it in Salon out of his progressive atheist approval of it. He's a stark raving Christian hater. We shouldn't approve him here. Surely you don't approve of his work, eh?
You do realize Christian Reconstructionism is a real thing right?

What if God, or Jesus, doesn't want to rule and is just willing to let us keep stumbling along.

Pastor, do you see the similarities between ISIS wanting their God appointed clergy ruling under God's authority and laws, and some religions who look forward to the day when God rules directly?

You do realize Christian Reconstructionism is a real thing right?
It was about the source, not the subject. The left here refuses, frequently, to discuss the substance of posts because the source of the poster's information is a source they deem "unworthy of their respect". I was answering in the tone of the left but without the vulgarity and personal attack so often attached to the posts from the left side.

It was about the source, not the subject. The left here refuses, frequently, to discuss the substance of posts because the source of the poster's information is a source they deem "unworthy of their respect". I was answering in the tone of the left but without the vulgarity and personal attack so often attached to the posts from the left side.
Really? The left frequently does that? Examples, please?

The source is the book which is stated up front.

There is no hidden agenda. Ms Ingersoll wrote a book on Christian Reconstruction. That is stated up front. The interview was about her findings. Anyone reading the entire interview had to be aware of the views of the author.

I think your criticism is unwarranted.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa

For 10 years I've said that GOP operatives like you routinely practice what they accuse others of doing. And here you are, again, proving me absolutely 100% spot on correct. You accuse the author of being all sorts of supposedly awful things, without ever even remotely offering a critical analysis of the content of the article or the book about which the article was written. You simply attacked the author.

You continue to prove with complete certainty that you're a buffoon, Ladoga.

That said, I'll give you a chance here to actually address the content of the book that the article was written about. Do you see a growing influence of the Johnny-come-lately theory of premillenialism? Do you sense that it is a superior theological explanation of the way that God is at work in the world? Do you have a good grasp of, and respect for, the amillenialism that is prevalent in the traditional Catholic church? What is your sense of that theory?

Given your strong advocacy of traditional early American thinking in the founding of this country, what is your sense of the Puritans' view that the Kingdom of God has been created here on earth with the Resurrection, the "postmillenialism" that Ingersoll talks about?

And, BTW, with your emphasis on the individual, and the freedom of the individual, what do you make of the notion that the Christian Reconstruction is about the enslavement of the individual, rather than the freeing of the individual's soul for a full and complete relationship with God?

For the second time in this thread - and you most assuredly missed this in my first post - my sense of Ingersoll's book is that it's more accurate than not. My view of the Christian Reconstructionists is that over the long haul of history they'll prove to be more like ISIS or the Taliban than is healthy - for them or for the rest of us. And for the record, I've been saying so here for the last 12+ years; most noteworthy among that history is my calling the Chief Judge of the Alabama Supreme Court the equivalent of an American Taliban because of his insistence on establishing a Christian theocracy in that state.

Reactions: hoot1
For 10 years I've said that GOP operatives like you routinely practice what they accuse others of doing. And here you are, again, proving me absolutely 100% spot on correct. You accuse the author of being all sorts of supposedly awful things, without ever even remotely offering a critical analysis of the content of the article or the book about which the article was written. You simply attacked the author.

You continue to prove with complete certainty that you're a buffoon, Ladoga.

That said, I'll give you a chance here to actually address the content of the book that the article was written about. Do you see a growing influence of the Johnny-come-lately theory of premillenialism? Do you sense that it is a superior theological explanation of the way that God is at work in the world? Do you have a good grasp of, and respect for, the amillenialism that is prevalent in the traditional Catholic church? What is your sense of that theory?

Given your strong advocacy of traditional early American thinking in the founding of this country, what is your sense of the Puritans' view that the Kingdom of God has been created here on earth with the Resurrection, the "postmillenialism" that Ingersoll talks about?

And, BTW, with your emphasis on the individual, and the freedom of the individual, what do you make of the notion that the Christian Reconstruction is about the enslavement of the individual, rather than the freeing of the individual's soul for a full and complete relationship with God?

For the second time in this thread - and you most assuredly missed this in my first post - my sense of Ingersoll's book is that it's more accurate than not. My view of the Christian Reconstructionists is that over the long haul of history they'll prove to be more like ISIS or the Taliban than is healthy - for them or for the rest of us. And for the record, I've been saying so here for the last 12+ years; most noteworthy among that history is my calling the Chief Judge of the Alabama Supreme Court the equivalent of an American Taliban because of his insistence on establishing a Christian theocracy in that state.

Our founding fathers were slave owning sexists and even they knew to leave religion out of politics.

What if God, or Jesus, doesn't want to rule and is just willing to let us keep stumbling along.

Pastor, do you see the similarities between ISIS wanting their God appointed clergy ruling under God's authority and laws, and some religions who look forward to the day when God rules directly?
No, because God ruling directly is something He does, and the former is a manmade attempt. The truth is God made a lot of promises in the Ancient Scriptures about ruling and reigning. He has to keep those promises because it is impossible for God to lie.

I am a pretty faithful Christian, but every time you post I find it tremendously embarrassing.

May I just stop and say how humorous I find it to be that the word "progressive" has taken on such a negative connotation?

NOTHING CAN EVER CHANGE!!!1!

Al Jazeera puts the big three to shame. They **GASP** report the news.

I think there is quite a bit of difference between going out and killing people or trying to start a war to bring on the end of days (like ISIS is doing) and someone looking forward to the day when God steps back in and rules directly. One is an active role and the other is passive. It is the difference between sitting on the beach and waiting for the tide to come in and walking out in the water and trying to push it.

Additionally, I think this is all overstated. I've noticed over the last 20 or so years that there is a definite attempt by certain people to make Christians the "crazies" that everyone has to watch out for. "Those crazy evangelicals are trying to bring on the end of the world with their support for Israel..." "Those evil Christians are trying to bring on the Taliban because they want to influence the political sphere to follow their beliefs (never mind that social politics is all about shoving my beliefs down your throat...because my beliefs are superior to their hatefulness...)

I grew up in the evangelical movement. I know a ton of evangelicals who most of the left wing posters on this board would label as being right wing whackos. And I have yet to meet any of them who would want to run you up in front of a religious judge. And any evangelical I know of would run screaming from anyone claiming to be the all knowing voice of God on earth unless it is Jesus himself based on prevailing beliefs of the anti-Christ. Do they fight tooth and nail for their system of beliefs? Absolutely. As do each and every one of you. You want to tell me that the Planned Parenthood "War on Women" crowd (which is a crap argument but that is for another day) and the LGBT community aren't out there pushing ever more for the country to be made in their image? Heck, the LGBT community wanted to boycott an entire state for their beliefs and that is a-okay with you guys because you agree with them. Secularism has become a religion, y'all just don't realize it...yet.

Sope, you are the only one to claim that you know a bunch of folks like this...and maybe the evangelical movement is different in the south than the one I've encountered my entire life in the midwest (and I'm open to that argument) but I just don't see what you are saying in anyone that I've come across. I see a bunch of oversimplification by the author to make it seem like evangelicals are all sitting around waiting for our Christian Caliph but I believe that could not be any farther from the truth.

I do find it interesting that Christians continue to be demonized in increasingly more hostile ways. It is palpable in society and it has become the absolute norm for this board...it is one reason that I tend to spend a great deal less of my finite time visiting the board. This place has gotten increasingly more hateful over the past 5 or so years. There used to be a modicum of respect between posters but that appears to be completely gone. But that is a tangent, bringing it back. Talk to vanpastorman, most of the "bible thumping" crowd predicted the increasing hostility years ago and would call it a sign. Many of you would probably argue that as a self fulfilling prophecy. I'd ask you who changed. If it is them, then you may have an argument. If it is "you" then maybe there is a little more to their opinion than you'd like to admit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott S
I think there is quite a bit of difference between going out and killing people or trying to start a war to bring on the end of days (like ISIS is doing) and someone looking forward to the day when God steps back in and rules directly. One is an active role and the other is passive. It is the difference between sitting on the beach and waiting for the tide to come in and walking out in the water and trying to push it.

Additionally, I think this is all overstated. I've noticed over the last 20 or so years that there is a definite attempt by certain people to make Christians the "crazies" that everyone has to watch out for. "Those crazy evangelicals are trying to bring on the end of the world with their support for Israel..." "Those evil Christians are trying to bring on the Taliban because they want to influence the political sphere to follow their beliefs (never mind that social politics is all about shoving my beliefs down your throat...because my beliefs are superior to their hatefulness...)

I grew up in the evangelical movement. I know a ton of evangelicals who most of the left wing posters on this board would label as being right wing whackos. And I have yet to meet any of them who would want to run you up in front of a religious judge. And any evangelical I know of would run screaming from anyone claiming to be the all knowing voice of God on earth unless it is Jesus himself based on prevailing beliefs of the anti-Christ. Do they fight tooth and nail for their system of beliefs? Absolutely. As do each and every one of you. You want to tell me that the Planned Parenthood "War on Women" crowd (which is a crap argument but that is for another day) and the LGBT community aren't out there pushing ever more for the country to be made in their image? Heck, the LGBT community wanted to boycott an entire state for their beliefs and that is a-okay with you guys because you agree with them. Secularism has become a religion, y'all just don't realize it...yet.

Sope, you are the only one to claim that you know a bunch of folks like this...and maybe the evangelical movement is different in the south than the one I've encountered my entire life in the midwest (and I'm open to that argument) but I just don't see what you are saying in anyone that I've come across. I see a bunch of oversimplification by the author to make it seem like evangelicals are all sitting around waiting for our Christian Caliph but I believe that could not be any farther from the truth.

I do find it interesting that Christians continue to be demonized in increasingly more hostile ways. It is palpable in society and it has become the absolute norm for this board...it is one reason that I tend to spend a great deal less of my finite time visiting the board. This place has gotten increasingly more hateful over the past 5 or so years. There used to be a modicum of respect between posters but that appears to be completely gone. But that is a tangent, bringing it back. Talk to vanpastorman, most of the "bible thumping" crowd predicted the increasing hostility years ago and would call it a sign. Many of you would probably argue that as a self fulfilling prophecy. I'd ask you who changed. If it is them, then you may have an argument. If it is "you" then maybe there is a little more to their opinion than you'd like to admit.
I think you misread the article. Christian Reconstructionism is a very real movement, but no one is claiming that all evangelicals are secretly members. It is definitely a minority movement.

Reactions: hoot1

While your post is intelligently written and well-understood, I think you're rationalizing a bit here based on your own experiences

Arguments against gay rights stem expressly from religion (in this country that means Christianity). Arguments for slavery in the time of slavery had sources from religious texts. Arguments against understanding climate change have religious sources (see Inhofe).

I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that our American society is now progressing at a rate that it should have been for years and part of the reason is because many are abandoning their faith-driven/dictated beliefs for those of logic, reason, and evidence-based decisions. You can call that a War on Christianity if you'd like, but I'd call it a new enlightenment. You can consider that a different form of hate if you'd prefer, but I think you're wrong.

Crazy, I agree with you completely when you write,

I think there is quite a bit of difference between going out and killing people or trying to start a war to bring on the end of days (like ISIS is doing) and someone looking forward to the day when God steps back in and rules directly.

Those who believe God will someday rule the world directly aren't harming anyone if they are wrong. However, ISIS killing innocent people to establish a place for God's rule to reign is morally wrong from the get go.

The main similarity between ISIS and some Christians is the desire for a theocracy versus a secular government which allows freedom for all religions and non-religious believers. Also I don't equate evangelicals and Christian Reconstructionists as being the same on all counts.

While your post is intelligently written and well-understood, I think you're rationalizing a bit here based on your own experiences

Arguments against gay rights stem expressly from religion (in this country that means Christianity). Arguments for slavery in the time of slavery had sources from religious texts. Arguments against understanding climate change have religious sources (see Inhofe).

I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that our American society is now progressing at a rate that it should have been for years and part of the reason is because many are abandoning their faith-driven/dictated beliefs for those of logic, reason, and evidence-based decisions. You can call that a War on Christianity if you'd like, but I'd call it a new enlightenment. You can consider that a different form of hate if you'd prefer, but I think you're wrong.
Muslims are against gay marriage too. How come they aren't demonized?

I am a pretty faithful Christian, but every time you post I find it tremendously embarrassing.
What specifically do you disagree with me about? Do you believe in the virgin birth,sinless life of Christ, death on the Cross to pay the penalty for mankind's sin,burial and literal resurrection, and his Second Coming? His Second Coming is what I talked about in the post? Do you not believe He is coming back?

May I just stop and say how humorous I find it to be that the word "progressive" has taken on such a negative connotation?

NOTHING CAN EVER CHANGE!!!1!

Ladoga is stuck in the early 80s...the early 1780s. Back when only white men ran the country. Back when white men could own black men. Back when women had zero rights. He would happily take us back there.

What specifically do you disagree with me about? Do you believe in the virgin birth,sinless life of Christ, death on the Cross to pay the penalty for mankind's sin,burial and literal resurrection, and his Second Coming? His Second Coming is what I talked about in the post? Do you not believe He is coming back?
You just represent yourself very poorly on here and come across as incredibly ignorant on a wide variety of topics. I'm obviously a big fan of Jesus, but your approach in how you post is awful. It's completely over the top.

ADVERTISEMENT