ADVERTISEMENT

My Dad always says if you learn something new each day you are

davegolf

All-American
Sep 18, 2001
still intellectually alive. I learned something new today involving the Shemitah Year and Super Shemitah which is this year. What I learned was that our original 7 year restrictions on filing bankruptcy comes from the Bible. The old testament says that debts shall be forgiven every 7th year of the Shemitah. History tells us that the great crashes of the stock market occurred in September of 1931 and September1987 both at the ends of a Shemitah year and after an eclipse. Probably all coincidences but the article I was emailed from an old IU Law Professor was an interesting read anyway.

still intellectually alive. I learned something new today involving the Shemitah Year and Super Shemitah which is this year. What I learned was that our original 7 year restrictions on filing bankruptcy comes from the Bible. The old testament says that debts shall be forgiven every 7th year of the Shemitah. History tells us that the great crashes of the stock market occurred in September of 1931 and September1987 both at the ends of a Shemitah year and after an eclipse. Probably all coincidences but the article I was emailed from an old IU Law Professor was an interesting read anyway.

Another thing major crashes have in common (1929, 1987, 2008) is that they were all just a few years after some sort of major banking and/or Wall St deregulation. These rules are in place for a reason.

ADVERTISEMENT