ADVERTISEMENT

June 19, 2007

I teared up earlier. I admit it. I agree about the helmets. Gives me chills.

Even I teared up. It was just cruel that Coach Hep was taken so soon. He would have been a great coach for Indiana just as he was for Miami and as an assistant for Randy Walker at Miami. Walker walked into a coaches meeting at NU after he heard that Coach Hep had been hired by Indiana and said "We've got to roll up our shirt sleeves because it just got a lot harder to win in this conference."

Even I teared up. It was just cruel that Coach Hep was taken so soon. He would have been a great coach for Indiana just as he was for Miami and as an assistant for Randy Walker at Miami. Walker walked into a coaches meeting at NU after he heard that Coach Hep had been hired by Indiana and said "We've got to roll up our shirt sleeves because it just got a lot harder to win in this conference."

The biggest thing to me (aside from all of his amazing qualities) was his passion towards IU and more specifically IU football. He saw it as a destination job and acted as such. So proud of the program and was hell bent to get it to the top and stay on as coach. Miss this guy so much. Shout out to Jane too. Hope all is well with her.

The biggest thing to me (aside from all of his amazing qualities) was his passion towards IU and more specifically IU football. He saw it as a destination job and acted as such. So proud of the program and was hell bent to get it to the top and stay on as coach. Miss this guy so much. Shout out to Jane too. Hope all is well with her.
Yep. A great man, and the ONE guy who actually viewed this as his dream job...and cancer takes him. Selfishly, that pisses me off. But again, most importantly, a great and caring man was taken far too soon.

Very true. I guess the best way you can look at it is by us having this conversation, he obviously left his mark while he was here. Never to be forgotten.

Very true. I guess the best way you can look at it is by us having this conversation, he obviously left his mark while he was here. Never to be forgotten.
Yep. He is our rock. Literally!

One of great questions in life will be "what could Hep have done had he not gotten sick?" His enthusiasm was infectious and think that goes a very long way. No one can tell if he would have continued to land big recruits, win, etc. But my guess/gut is he would have built them into a solid contender and would indeed have gotten to the Rose Bowl eventually. His power of vision was strong.

Reactions: MJE
ADVERTISEMENT