ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan Howard highlights vs. Southern Miss 2014

Wonder what kind of back he'd be if . . .

the conditioning coaches get him down to 215 or so. He has good power at 228, nice feet, but doesn't show breakaway speed at that size . . .

Re: Wonder what kind of back he'd be if . . .

Runs more like D Roberts then Coleman. We will still miss the explosive speed of Coleman but looks like a good pickup.

Balance and strength is more apparent than raw speed. He may not break as many long TDs as Coleman, but he could turn more 2 yard gains into 4 yard gains. That gives you more options on 3rd and 3 and other situations. I didn't see him catch any passes or in pass protection.

I still believe Redding will be a successful back with Howard. I am curious if Mister can come back after his injury and be counted on or if he will need more time. Backs often seem to better in their second year after surgery. Either way, we are in good shape to start the season and just need to build up our depth.

Trent Richardson added too much weight......lost his leg

quickness.....Howard, JMO, looks a lot like Richardson..Tevin looks a whole lot quicker....

Howard is no Tevin.......

appears very durable

20 to 25 carries a game?

As you said, can he catch any passes?

Hope that he's also a cold weather guy, It won't always be 75 degrees at game time.

Not looking to be snide or pick a fight...

But we all should remember that while Howard might not be Tevin, there are not a lot of Tevins out there period. Coleman was special. Most schools don't get a lot of these kind of players. My IU fan era goes back to the early 80s and I have seen two at IU: AT and Tevin. V Dunbar was very good but not in the league of AT and TC. I guess my point is we don't have to have another TC, we need a good RB and better total team play. Our expectations should be a good RB or RBs not a duplicate of Tevin. Expecting another TC may be asking a bit much of Mr. Howard, Mr. Redding or Mr. Mister.

Its a good get.

My impressions are like what others said, he doesnt have that breakaway speed. But I think he has great balance, quickness and strength. I would think of him being a stronger Roberts. And then with our strength staff and nutritionist, I would think he would get stronger and lose approx 10 lbs. I think we will have a great 3 RB rotation next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT