ADVERTISEMENT

John Isenbarger has passed

I remember going in the locker room with my Dad after the Purdue game that sent them to the Rose Bowl.
My Dad brought down some potential recruits so I got to go in with them.
I was 10 years old and was in awe of the size of the players.
I can remember watching a couple players shaving in front of these tiny mirrors.
We dug up a piece of turf from mid field and brought it home.
One of my favorite memories with my Dad who passed 10 years ago.

Listened on the radio to Iso and the cardio kids. I still hear the chants punt John punt because the fans/coaches never knew if he would punt or run. It was an exciting group in many ways with Gonso, Butcher, T Cole, and the number of other Hoosiers that ended up playing for the NFL.

I was in 67’ and only saw John play a few times on TV. Would love any stories from those who saw him play in person.
He was of handsome appearance, what we used to describe as being a “face man”. Coupled with his athletic prowess, this elevated his stature into the realm of BMOC (Big Man On Campus). “ISO” was further gifted with powerful, long legs conducive to punting on a football field. He was able to deliver a critical 60+ yard punt against Purdue after we were stopped deep in our own territory late in the game, propelling us to Pasadena. It remains to this day as one of the greatest punts in IU football history. John had a penchant for securing first downs on fake punts of his own fabrication. Finally, John was the “I” in the “BIG three”, the best receiver (Butcher), running back/punter (Isenbarger) and quarterback (Gonso), in what was widely considered to be the back bone of this overall talented Rose Bowl team.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT