ADVERTISEMENT

IUFB Spring Practice starts March 5

Penix just seemed to get it out of his hand a lot quicker than Tuttle to me, as in, once he made a decision as to where it was going, bang it was out and on the way (but he had a true pro level release, so perhaps the comparison is unfair)...

If Tuttle can learn to get it out just a couple of tenths of a second second sooner (and get it where he wants it to go) I think he might really be onto something...
….and last year, those completions by both QBs were generally to the other team.

Defensively, I would prefer Allen to let go of play calling duties like with Wommack. It allowed Allen to just be a Head Coach and build the program instead of worrying about the defense. I thought it worked out really well. The defense took a downturn in 21 because the offense was so bad and because of injuries.
That, and our DC was pure garbage. That was the main reason.

Reactions: kmathum
Kasey Teagarden notes
https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2022/3/...hatter-outside-linebackers-special-teams.aspx

He [Charles Campbell] hit a 49-yarder the other day, so excited about him and his leg power. He is also competing for the kickoff job that Jared [Smolar] vacated, competing with Chris Freeman, who has been a pleasant surprise. His leg strength has been tremendous thus far. We have only been outside twice, so we need to get outside and see those guys more in the elements, for sure. Then, Jimmy [James Evans], we are really excited about him coming back. It's going to be monstrous for him coming off a freshman year where he averaged over 41 yards. Excited to have him back, as well.

James averaging over 41 [yards per punt] was solid for him and it was the second-best average for a freshman in the country according to PFF. He is right where he needs to be now, but he has to be more consistent. When you look at him and how we punted last year, when we needed it, it wasn't what we needed. That's the biggest thing for him. When we are backed up and we are punting out of our end zone, he has got to get a good ball off.

It looks like Myles Jackson may leave spring as #1 at bull … got a lot of leadership votes.

KT …out at practice. Cam Jones will be up talking to the group, and he will step by and allow Myles to speak. Even the strength coaches are like, 'look at that, the dudes been here [for just a couple months.' It's because of his work ethic, his body language, his coachability, the intensity and the focus that he brings every single day has been off the charts.

MJ: At UCLA, they had me at a bunch of different spots. They had me at edge rusher, sometimes at the inside linebacker and sometimes I would play their version of the BULL position. What I really like here is the versatility of the position. I feel very comfortable in my role and what I am asked to do. It has pretty much been making a lot of sense to me…

Kasey Teagarden notes
https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2022/3/...hatter-outside-linebackers-special-teams.aspx

He [Charles Campbell] hit a 49-yarder the other day, so excited about him and his leg power. He is also competing for the kickoff job that Jared [Smolar] vacated, competing with Chris Freeman, who has been a pleasant surprise. His leg strength has been tremendous thus far. We have only been outside twice, so we need to get outside and see those guys more in the elements, for sure. Then, Jimmy [James Evans], we are really excited about him coming back. It's going to be monstrous for him coming off a freshman year where he averaged over 41 yards. Excited to have him back, as well.

James averaging over 41 [yards per punt] was solid for him and it was the second-best average for a freshman in the country according to PFF. He is right where he needs to be now, but he has to be more consistent. When you look at him and how we punted last year, when we needed it, it wasn't what we needed. That's the biggest thing for him. When we are backed up and we are punting out of our end zone, he has got to get a good ball off.

It looks like Myles Jackson may leave spring as #1 at bull … got a lot of leadership votes.

KT …out at practice. Cam Jones will be up talking to the group, and he will step by and allow Myles to speak. Even the strength coaches are like, 'look at that, the dudes been here [for just a couple months.' It's because of his work ethic, his body language, his coachability, the intensity and the focus that he brings every single day has been off the charts.

MJ: At UCLA, they had me at a bunch of different spots. They had me at edge rusher, sometimes at the inside linebacker and sometimes I would play their version of the BULL position. What I really like here is the versatility of the position. I feel very comfortable in my role and what I am asked to do. It has pretty much been making a lot of sense to me…
“making a lot of sense to me”

thats where we need to be

I recall when some other team had accused us of trying to steal their signals, and Wommack responded by talking about how our defensive players were coming off the field and telling him what adjustments they needed to make because they could see what adjustments the offense was trying to make and how that “makes you dangerous.”

“making a lot of sense to me”

thats where we need to be

I recall when some other team had accused us of trying to steal their signals, and Wommack responded by talking about how our defensive players were coming off the field and telling him what adjustments they needed to make because they could see what adjustments the offense was trying to make and how that “makes you dangerous.”
Still trying to figure out why Teegardin is coaching what is essentially a LB position.

Reactions: IndyIUFan66
Still trying to figure out why Teegardin is coaching what is essentially a LB position.
He coaches a position that is far different than an LB position [yes it seems like a LB position but the reads and responsibility are far different] and the duties are divided up just like coach Shelby working with the returners.

He coaches a position that is far different than an LB position [yes it seems like a LB position but the reads and responsibility are far different] and the duties are divided up just like coach Shelby working with the returners.
I don't think the Bull position is 'far different than an LB position". At all.

Even if it was, what does the Bull position have to do with Special Teams?

Shelby is working with returners? If so, I don't get that, either.

I don't think the Bull position is 'far different than an LB position". At all.

Even if it was, what does the Bull position have to do with Special Teams?

Shelby is working with returners? If so, I don't get that, either.
Actually, the IU site now lists hm as coaching "Special Teams" and "Outside Linebackers."

The terms of "Bull" and "Husky" (and others) are outside the Athletic Department lexicon!

Mention "Split End" or "Flanker" and they'll feint.

100% agree. Why can’t he be STC only, it’s not like they’ve been killing it on special teams.
Please elaborate on how you organized your staff at your most recent D-1 head football coaching position and provide the rationale on why you did it this way. Inquiring minds want to know.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
Please elaborate on how you organized your staff at your most recent D-1 head football coaching position and provide the rationale on why you did it this way. Inquiring minds want to know.
I think we're just asking the question of obvious experts such as yourselves.

Please enlighten us!

Not sure what’s so confusing for you here. Iowa and many other top schools DO have a STC position who does JUST that role.

Then I look back at last 2-3 seasons that Coach T has been in both roles and think IU’s Special teams play would be graded about a B-/C+.

Examples: Cinci game last year Special teams cost IU 14 pts (big part of why we lost). Our kick off return and punt return game last season? Almost nonexistent.

I’d make a coordinator position be an elevated role, similar to OC and DC. And if you have a LB coach, let them coach all the LB’s, I don’t think they need a coach for one position.

Hope that helps you and Danc the crank see how someone else sees it since you two act like you run a B10 program yourselves. (“Where’s my spring game?? Waaaaa!!)

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
Reactions: vesuvius13
This is the world moving forward after Covid. Allen already said in his presser earlier this month that many schools are reassessing how they conduct spring practice. He pointed out that there were a bunch of injuries we had coming out of spring last year. It’s become one of these things where it’s almost a “tag” type scrimmage.

I’m sure IU doesn’t want a bunch of people sitting together since COVID will have us restricted until 2035.

Reactions: DANC
This is the world moving forward after Covid. Allen already said in his presser earlier this month that many schools are reassessing how they conduct spring practice. He pointed out that there were a bunch of injuries we had coming out of spring last year. It’s become one of these things where it’s almost a “tag” type scrimmage.

I’m sure IU doesn’t want a bunch of people sitting together since COVID will have us restricted until 2035.
So I’m guessing no fans in the stands for regular season games going forward? Sounds like BS to me.

Reactions: vesuvius13
The last week of Spring practice starts today.
I liked the strategy to stretch the practice schedule across some extra weeks. (3/week instead of 5/week).

The positive press clippings suggest IU should win more than the 4 games projected.
I posted previously, if only IU plays half as good as IU writes.
This is the last week this spring to prepare to meet the billings.

Last spring practice today, closed to the public
Game situation controlled scrimmage, I presume.

Structured game situations present the opportunity
to have coaches on the field reinforce position room instruction,
and see who paid attention.

Mental errors can be as devastating as turnovers.

Reactions: 76-1
As there was no spring game, an SI beat writer posted an article about Walt Bell.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...iana-offensive-coordinator-plenty-to-evaluate

The lid is pretty tight; 16 April, and little hint which QB is in the poll position.
The cards are up the magicians’ sleeves, and not in sight in front of the vest.

Bell and Allen will evaluate and choose from a group of signal-callers that includes Jack Tuttle, a redshirt senior transfer from Utah who has started four games for Indiana in the last two seasons, Connor Bazelak, a redshirt junior transfer from Missouri who has started 20 games across three seasons and threw for 2,548 yards, 16 touchdowns and 11 interceptions last season, and Donaven McCulley, a sophomore who had to start four games as a true freshman after injuries to Penix and Tuttle.

Other quarterbacks on campus include Dexter Williams, a redshirt sophomore who missed all of 2021 with a torn ACL, and Grant Gremel, a redshirt junior who started the 2021 season finale at Purdue.

Throughout Bell's evaluation process this spring, he said McCulley is an unbelievable athlete, he recognized Tuttle's reliability, said Bazelak and Williams both have strong arm talent and noticed that Gremel does the right thing with the ball.

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
As there was no spring game, an SI beat writer posted an article about Walt Bell.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...iana-offensive-coordinator-plenty-to-evaluate

The lid is pretty tight; 16 April, and little hint which QB is in the poll position.
The cards are up the magicians’ sleeves, and not in sight in front of the vest.

Bell and Allen will evaluate and choose from a group of signal-callers that includes Jack Tuttle, a redshirt senior transfer from Utah who has started four games for Indiana in the last two seasons, Connor Bazelak, a redshirt junior transfer from Missouri who has started 20 games across three seasons and threw for 2,548 yards, 16 touchdowns and 11 interceptions last season, and Donaven McCulley, a sophomore who had to start four games as a true freshman after injuries to Penix and Tuttle.

Other quarterbacks on campus include Dexter Williams, a redshirt sophomore who missed all of 2021 with a torn ACL, and Grant Gremel, a redshirt junior who started the 2021 season finale at Purdue.

Throughout Bell's evaluation process this spring, he said McCulley is an unbelievable athlete, he recognized Tuttle's reliability, said Bazelak and Williams both have strong arm talent and noticed that Gremel does the right thing with the ball.
So..., if we continue to be smart..., the Illinois D coordinator has to prepare for three different QB's right up until kickoff... I like it...😎🍺

Reactions: TomEric4756
Here's an article that speaks of the QB race:

Looks like message discipline is well practiced. Gremel cited both times as making good decisions with the ball.

Looks like we may not miss Payne so much in the fall, with this quote:

LUCAS, SHIVERS STANDING OUT

Allen mentioned speedy freshman running back Jaylin Lucas and Auburn transfer running back Shaun Shivers among players who have stood out in recent scrimmages.

“Lucas is one that every scrimmage we’ve had continues to flash more and more,” Allen said. “I think that’s become very obvious. Shaun Shivers (is) another one that continues to just show who he is.”

Among receivers, Allen said Cam Camper and Emery Simmons have remained consistent and David Baker has had his most productive camp so far at IU.

Whatley’s and Hayes’ recoveries from injury were good to see. DBs appear to be two-deep across the board.

Last edited:
It was Coach Wilt’s turn in SI’s series barrel.
https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...-wilt-defensive-coordinator-linebackers-coach

Loved this quote about returnees

"They play with a passion," Wilt said. "I still want to challenge that group to continue to grow in that and take that next step. But you also see a group that doesn't play scared."

IU’s 2022 defense won’t be playing not to lose:

In 2022, Wilt does not want Indiana to play with a bend-don't-break mentality. He wants his defense to attack. For Wilt, this means a focus on tackles for loss, sacks, pass breakups, interceptions and forced fumbles.

Nice quote about Dasan and incoming freshmen

"We've just got to take that and continue to build it, shape it, refine it, develop it," Wild said. "And help them play at or above their God-given abilities."

Accomplished Resume to Boot:

Wilt coached three eventual 2016 NFL Draft picks at Maryland before leaving to coach at Army. In 2018, Wilt guided Army's defense to the nation's top-ranked third-down conversion and fourth-down conversion defense and the No. 8 total defense and scoring defense.

In Wilt's only season at Cincinnati, the Bearcats ranked first in total defense
, were victorious in the TicketSmarter Birmingham Bowl and finished No. 21 in the final AP top 25 poll. Most recently, Wilt coached defensive linemen at Minnesota for two season, who finished third in the nation in total defense in 2021.

The 2019 and 2020 IU teams were among national leaders in 3rd down conversion % allowed. Getting back, to well above average, will keep the opponent’s defenses on the field more.

Last edited:
Good news from the articles about the team and new coaches. Coach Allen has made major changes in the coaching staff and portal to shore up weak areas since last season. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the 2022 season. Can IU repeat the IUFB team in 1967, that went from 1-8-1 in 1966, coming out to beat Illinois [in the B1G opener as was pointed out to me] soundly to open the season and finish with just one loss, getting the nod to represent the B1G in the Rose Bowl.

Last edited:
Good news from the articles about the team and new coaches. Coach Allen has made major changes in the coaching staff and portal to shore up weak areas since last season. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the 2022 season. Can IU repeat the IUFB team in 1967, that went from 1-8-1 in 1966, coming out to beat Illinois soundly to open the season and finish with just one loss, getting the nod to represent the B1G in the Rose Bowl.
I went back to check the schedule as I was pretty sure that Kentucky was the season opener, which was correct. Illinois was the Big Ten opener a couple of weeks later (not that it matters, just caught my attention).

One thing that did stand out, however was that IU's first game that year was Sept.23. Ten-game season of course, but I didn't remember that the season began so late back then.

I went back to check the schedule as I was pretty sure that Kentucky was the season opener, which was correct. Illinois was the Big Ten opener a couple of weeks later (not that it matters, just caught my attention).

One thing that did stand out, however was that IU's first game that year was Sept.23. Ten-game season of course, but I didn't remember that the season began so late back then.

IU played UK and KU before playing Ill that yr.

they later also played at Az.

all games that yr were against major schools.

as for the later start, i'm thinking school started and ended later back then.

seems like the 2nd semester went at least till the end of May back then.

no air conditioning in the dorms back then, and i can't remember the air situation in the classrooms.

the later start and finish to the school yr would have been better situated for the lack of air conditioning, as even late May is generally much cooler than early-mid Sept.

the end of classes at the end of April now days really hurts Little 5 and spring sports imo.

IU played UK and KU before playing Ill that yr.

they later also played at Az.

all games that yr were against major schools.

as for the later start, i'm thinking school started and ended later back then.

seems like the 2nd semester went at least till the end of May back then.

no air conditioning in the dorms back then, and i can't remember the air situation in the classrooms.

the later start and finish to the school yr would have been better situated for the lack of air conditioning, as even late May is generally much cooler than early-mid Sept.

the end of classes at the end of April now days really hurts Little 5 and spring sports imo.
Golf, Track, Baseball, Softball didn’t draw big crowds then or now.

The fall semester ended with Christmas - New Years break before I started in Aug. ‘74.

Registrar says August starts began Fall ‘71

https://registrar.indiana.edu/doc/beg-end-sem-dates.pdf

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT