ADVERTISEMENT

IU@Miami (OH): Miami 9 IU 7. IU loses on a 7-run 1st inning...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
IU opened the game with a K, a single by Glasser, an error by the SS, a walk to Pyne, a single by Ellis that scored two runs, and a SAC fly by Mathison that scores a run from 3rd as IU takes a 3-0 lead into the B1st.

Modugno was a disaster in the 1st as he gave up 7 hits to include two doubles and a triple as well as a walk, as all 7 runs were earned and Mercer kept Modugno on the mound for the entire inning of batting practice for Miami. Incredible.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: mk30
score 3 in the first and give up 5 immediately, friggen unbelievable

Last edited:
In the 2nd, IU has plenty of time to get back into this game, but they can't allow Modugno to go back out there in the 2nd and I can't imagine they will. Murrison struck out and Doanes flied out for two outs before Whalen reaches on a single. Glasser then grounded out to end IU's 2nd.

Well, Mercer finally goes to the bullpen in the 2nd bringing in Ty Bothwell, and IMO he stayed way too long with Modugno in the 1st. Bothwell strikes out the first two batters he faced. An infield pop up ends the inning in 1-2-3 fashion.

Last edited:
In the 3rd, Miami's pitcher came into the game with an ERA of over 11.00 in 12 IP, so IU should be able to chip away at that lead and Jessee led the inning off with a single. A pop out resulted in Jessee being thrown out at 2nd with a runner on 1st. Ellis singles to put runners on 1st and 2nd with one out. Another pop-up results in the 2nd out with runners still on 1st and 2nd. Tibbets then hit a double to bring in two runs to make it 7-5, but Tibbets was thrown out trying to turn it into a triple to end IU's 3rd.

In Miami's 3rd, Bothwell is looking pretty sharp as the gets the first two batters on Ks, but what is an IU game without a hit batter, and Bothwell hit the next batter to put a man on with two outs. Bothwell then walks a batter to put runners on 1st and 2nd with two outs. A fly out ends the inning.

In IU's 4th, IU goes down in order.

In Miami's 4th, the leadoff hitter reaches on a bunt single as we are at the top of their order. Bothwell then walks the next batter to put runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs. On a K, both runners execute a double steal with runners now on 2nd and 3rd with one out. Miami scores on a WP with a runner reaching 3rd. An infield ground out scored another run with two outs and it's now 9-5 as the hit batter and walk ended up scoring on us. A ground out ended an inning where we gave Miami at least one and maybe two gift runs.

Last edited:
In the 5th, Miami goes to the bullpen to bring in LHP Colin Czajkowski who has a huge ERA of 19.96 in 7.2 IP. Glasser walks to lead off the inning. A WP moves Glasser to 2nd. Jessee walks and Pyne is hit by a pitch to load the bases with no outs. Ellis pops up in the infield for the 1st out and the bases still loaded. Mathison then walks on four pitchers to bring in a run to make it 9-6 and Miami doesn't take long to go to the bullpen. Miami brings in RHP Luke Leverton and he has a good ERA of 3.38 in 29.1 IP, and he inherits a bases loaded situation with one out. Tibbetts strikes out on three pitches for the 2nd out. A ground out ends the inning with IU getting only one run after having the bases loaded with no outs as they blow a big chance for a big inning. The Miami coach doesn't waste any time going to the bullpen when a pitcher clearly doesn't have it in an editorial comment.

In Miami's 5th, Bothwell puts them down in order to include two Ks, as Bothwell has 7 Ks so far.

In IU's 6th, Doanes and Whalen ground out for two outs and Miami goes to the bullpen again to bring in LHP Brady McLean with an ERA of 7.63 in 15.1 IP. Glasser got an infield single, but Jessee struck out to end IU's 6th.

In Miami's 6th, IU brings in little used LHP Jack Walker with an ERA 4.26 in 6.1 IP. He gets a flyout and ground out for two outs but walks the next batter. A flyout ends the inning.

In the 7th, IU is still trying to overcome that disastrous 1st inning and they have three innings to do something about it. IU goes down in order to include two Ks.

In Miami's 7th, the leadoff man gets a double. IU got a big out on a pop up to the pitcher with the runner still at 2nd. Walker then got a K for the 2nd out. A flyout ends the inning and you have to give Walker a lot of credit in leaving that leadoff double at 2nd.

In the 8th, IU is down to six outs to try to overcome a three-run deficit. Tibbetts strikes out to leadoff and the Miami pitcher who has a big ERA has struck out three straight Hoosiers carrying over from the last inning. Murrison then singles to put a runner on and one out. Doanes then walks on four pitches to put runners on 1st and 2nd with one out and we are at the top of the order. A base hit by Whalen scores Murrison and makes it 9-7 with runners on 1st and 2nd and one out. Glasser flies out for the 2nd out and Jessee strikes out to end the inning and IU is down to three outs to come up with two runs as long as they can hold off Miami in the 8th.

In Miami's 8th, Glasser had some kind of issue and they replaced him with Kevin Goforth at SS. Walker hits the leadoff batter for IU's 2nd hit batter of the game. A SAC bunt moved the runner to 2nd with one out. Walker then gets a K for the 2nd out with the runner still at 2nd. A WP moves the runner to 3rd with two outs. Walker gets the last out on a K.

In the 9th, Miami goes to the bullpen to bring in RHP Patrick Mastrian IV who has an ERA of 9.82 in 14.2 IP and he is a pitcher out of Indy. Pyne grounds out for the first out. Ellis then singles to put a man on with one out and Vecrumba comes in to pinch run for Ellis. Mathison hits into a DP to end the game.

IU beat Miami 17-2 earlier in the season, but a disastrous 1st inning by Modugno in which he gave up 7 runs, all earned, cost IU the game. IU outhit Miami 10-9 with 7 of Miami's hits coming in the first inning and they had just two hits the rest of the way. IU had the bases loaded with no outs in the 5th and was able to only score one run before Miami brought in their top reliever and he stayed in the game just long enough to get Miami out the jam since they probably wanted to save him for the weekend. IU just couldn't string together much after that, and it was a cold day there with the ball not carrying very well. The good four innings that Modugno had against Rutgers looks like it was a fluke outing considering he reverted back to the pitcher he was before that game. We lost to a MAC team that came into the game with a similar losing record to us, as we continue to stagger through a forgettable season, and it's on to Cincy tomorrow against a team that is probably better than Miami.

• Angry
Why does he continually leave guys in there too long. I get he has zero confidence in his bullpen, but damn. It’s totally defeating to the team psyche when you give up 7 in the first. Can’t imagine how that feels as the starter either.

IU beat Miami 17-2 earlier in the season, but a disastrous 1st inning by Modugno in which he gave up 7 runs, all earned, cost IU the game. IU outhit Miami 10-9 with 7 of Miami's hits coming in the first inning and they had just two hits the rest of the way. IU had the bases loaded with no outs in the 5th and was able to only score one run before Miami brought in their top reliever and he stayed in the game just long enough to get Miami out the jam since they probably wanted to save him for the weekend. IU just couldn't string together much after that, and it was a cold day there with the ball not carrying very well. The good four innings that Modugno had against Rutgers looks like it was a fluke outing considering he reverted back to the pitcher he was before that game. We lost to a MAC team that came into the game with a similar losing record to us, as we continue to stagger through a forgettable season, and it's on to Cincy tomorrow against a team that is probably better than Miami.
Why did Modugno start at all given that he just started Friday?

Why does he continually leave guys in there too long. I get he has zero confidence in his bullpen, but damn. It’s totally defeating to the team psyche when you give up 7 in the first. Can’t imagine how that feels as the starter either.
IMO, in the last two games, he stayed maybe two hitters too long with Brehmer in the last game with Rutgers which might have made a difference in the outcome, but who knows. He stayed with Modugno yesterday even though it was clear that he didn't have it and the last out of that inning came after the guy that hit the triple slid off the base, if my memory is correct, and was tagged out to end the disastrous inning. Yes, he probably doesn't have a lot of confidence in his bullpen, but it wasn't possible that anyone could come out of there and pitch worse than what Modugno was doing. Bothwell did come out of the bullpen to pitch the 2nd and pitched well in that inning, so I would have to believe he could have stopped the bleeding in the first if Mercer would have made the move.

Why did Modugno start at all given that he just started Friday?
I was kind of surprised when I saw that myself, but he pitched the first four innings of the game on Friday, and plenty of pitchers have pitched after three/four days of rest. Hindsight shows that it wasn't a good decision given the results.

I was kind of surprised when I saw that myself, but he pitched the first four innings of the game on Friday, and plenty of pitchers have pitched after three/four days of rest. Hindsight shows that it wasn't a good decision given the results.
I have a friend who is friend with the Stahl family. Several weeks ago, Nate was up in the 'pen and threw quite a bit but never got in the game. The next day they told him he was starting that day's game. He subsequently went out and got blasted in less than 2 innings.

I don't think he'd started a game at IU before. He didn't like the surprise nature of it. He had thrown so much the evening before that he felt dead the next morning.

Just sharing.

• Angry
Reactions: mk30 and ptrich
I have a friend who is friend with the Stahl family. Several weeks ago, Nate was up in the 'pen and threw quite a bit but never got in the game. The next day they told him he was starting that day's game. He subsequently went out and got blasted in less than 2 innings.

I don't think he'd started a game at IU before. He didn't like the surprise nature of it. He had thrown so much the evening before that he felt dead the next morning.

Just sharing.
Yeah, organization and consistency in communication is important for kids. The coaching has also reflected that. As I’ve said, I have seen and heard enough to know that Mercer isn’t the guy. It’s unfortunate, but Dolson needs to make a change after this season or risk an exodus of talented players.

Reactions: ptrich
Well, we are 2-9 in our last eleven games and are tied for 10th with MSU in the B1G standings right now with 2-7 records, and the top eight teams making the B1G tournament. The two wins were the 2nd game of the Purdue series and the win at Indiana St. where 9th inning heroics won that game with five runs scored in the final inning to win it by one. I know that we should be worrying about our team, but our friends to the north in Purdue that started the season 15-0 are in 9th place in the B1G. Since the schedule stiffened, at least compared to the first 15 games, they have gone 7-10 and lost to an Illinois-Chicago team yesterday that had a losing record of 11-17 and it was their 2nd loss of the season to that team. That start to the season was a mirage, but I guess that doesn't say much about us after we dropped 2 of 3 to them. Misery loves company.

Yeah, organization and consistency in communication is important for kids. The coaching has also reflected that. As I’ve said, I have seen and heard enough to know that Mercer isn’t the guy. It’s unfortunate, but Dolson needs to make a change after this season or risk an exodus of talented players.
This feels like Archie Miller all over again. Talented guy. Well thought of. The hire considered a home run. And with Mercer, the results out of the gate were really good. But man, we've tanked fast. And I don't know enough to know whether it's Mercer. Whether the new pitching coach is a dumpster fire. It seems we'd be fine this year if we had any pitching at all, so it's easy to point to the pitching coach or pitchers as THE PROBLEM, but I know it may be more complicated than that. It's befuddling though.

This feels like Archie Miller all over again. Talented guy. Well thought of. The hire considered a home run. And with Mercer, the results out of the gate were really good. But man, we've tanked fast. And I don't know enough to know whether it's Mercer. Whether the new pitching coach is a dumpster fire. It seems we'd be fine this year if we had any pitching at all, so it's easy to point to the pitching coach or pitchers as THE PROBLEM, but I know it may be more complicated than that. It's befuddling though.
To be fair to Archie, he at least had a better track record as a head coach in a better conference than Mercer had in only 2 years at WSU. The initial results were because Lemonis left an experienced and entrenched team that knew how to win at this level with players that had defined roles. As the roster has turned over you are starting to see what’s reflected, and it starts at the top. The poor defense, the poor game management, the inability to develop players, the inept organization and scouting is starting to rear its head.

IU had better candidates for the job when Lem left, but they choose not to hire in that pay range and give an “up and coming” guy an opportunity and pay less. It’s clear it’s not working out, and IU needs to move on and find someone more seasoned competing at the highest of this level like they did with Lemonis.

Reactions: mk30 and ptrich
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT