ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting read on WVU and cuts to programs

mcmurtry66

Hall of Famer
Mar 14, 2019

Doesn't impact a lot of students but interesting to hear Gee's (a well-known president that has bounced around a lot) comments on the future of education and humanities etc. Does impact a considerable number of faculty members

• Wow
Reactions: DANC

Doesn't impact a lot of students but interesting to hear Gee's (a well-known president that has bounced around a lot) comments on the future of education and humanities etc. Does impact a considerable number of faculty members
It's a hard thing to navigate. Colleges and Universities essentially know where the deepest cuts need to be made when they're facing a budget crisis, but most of them are resistant to doing what WVU has committed to doing here. It's unfortunate, but a lot of places are going to have to give up the ghost of being all things to all people.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Would you prohibit your kid from majoring in lib arts? Or say you aren’t paying for that?
Depends. Does she want to be a lawyer or pursue a master's in something to be a teacher. Probably would let her continue on and pay for it.

You wanna major in art history, **** off.

Depends. Does she want to be a lawyer or pursue a master's in something to be a teacher. Probably not.

I know. It’s hard tho. I can’t imagine being at this point. You want your kids to study what they want. Edification etc. wasn’t intended to be a vocational pursuit. But economics change things. Earlier this summer I had an old college teammate visit with his daughter to check out SLU. They were going to Marquette the next weekend. That school choice seems unfathomable to me. Decent schools. Nothing to write home about. Yet private and very expensive. Why….

Depends. Does she want to be a lawyer or pursue a master's in something to be a teacher. Probably would let her continue on and pay for it.

So maybe you go in state to mizzou study what you want. You want to go out of state, which I want, I have a say

Reactions: larsIU and DANC
I haven’t interviewed for a job in more than 20 years. Do employers state the degrees they require? If I want to sell medical equipment do I have to have a business degree?
Not sure but most pharmaceutical companies require a degree in order to be a rep. Which is stupid. A good looking woman in a low cut shirt is the only requirement needed.

When I worked for an independent that is how we based how much new product we ordered. Even if the product was a knock off we ordered it because the physicians would write for it.

Reactions: larsIU and DANC
Not sure but most pharmaceutical companies require a degree in order to be a rep. Which is stupid. A good looking woman in a low cut shirt is the only requirement needed.

When I worked for an independent that is how we based how much new product we ordered. Even if the product was a knock off we ordered it because the physicians would write for it.
That’s exactly what I thought. So maybe the type of degree isn’t everything?

That’s exactly what I thought. So maybe the type of degree isn’t everything?
The demographics are changing. A lot more NP’s with zero clinical experience but they have a degree. The vast majority of NPs under the age of 35 I wouldn’t send a dog to see them for real medicine. 95% of what I do now I could do with 2 years of OJT….no schooling needed

I haven’t interviewed for a job in more than 20 years. Do employers state the degrees they require? If I want to sell medical equipment do I have to have a business degree?
Most do list what type of degree is required or may list a specific degree in the preferred qualifications. Sometimes they just say a bachelor's with X number of experience. For higher-level jobs in higher ed, the qualifications are bachelor's with X years of experience and specific experience with X type of software/system. Then list another "OR" qualification that a master's can take the place of the experience requirement, which doesn't make any sense to me. The master's is sometimes a required qualification but usually is listed as a preferred.

I'm seeing more employers lower their education requirements (just a bachelor's in whatever field) and place more emphasis on experience. This is mainly in higher ed and state/federal jobs that I look at. None of this matters when they just plan on hiring internally but have to post the job per HR.

As a sidenote to something I assume would've been brought up by now - trade schools. I'm for the push for people to enter trade schools but I've read how the intro wages are absolute shat, like $15-20/hr. People are leaving their apprenticeships because they can make more at an Amazon warehouse or even In and Out.

Are you saying B-school grads aren't interesting?

You just don't know the joys of a strong balance sheet.
I love Excel. Like a child.

However, generally no they are not interesting. Plu the insurance world is dead without liberal arts majors.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
Yup. It provides a baseline knowledge most lack. Probably why you have no trouble cleaning up on the posters on this board
My other major was Econ, which I found fascinating. Loved the courses, even though my math wasn't good enough at the time to take it much further than a BA. If I had it to do again, I'd have pursued a Masters in Econ, instead of an MBA. Maybe a PhD, but I doubt I would have been that disciplined. But I did love the Econ classes.

Reactions: TomEric4756
My other major was Econ, which I found fascinating. Loved the courses, even though my math wasn't good enough at the time to take it much further than a BA. If I had it to do again, I'd have pursued a Masters in Econ, instead of an MBA. Maybe a PhD, but I doubt I would have been that disciplined. But I did love the Econ classes.
And it shows!!! when you post on history and the economy it's in a language that goes right over the head of most of the posters on the board. they simply lack the fundamental knowledge and just go with their feelings. like having a gun at a knife fight. same for me with my political science and public administration background. #DREAMTEAM

And it shows!!! when you post on history and the economy it's in a language that goes right over the head of most of the posters on the board. they simply lack the fundamental knowledge and just go with their feelings. like having a gun at a knife fight. same for me with my political science and public administration background. #DREAMTEAM
I see a consulting business in our future. I worked in IT, so I know how to bilk a customer.

• Love
You should have gone to DC and got a job. I know a SPEA grad at IU who went right to DC after graduating. She didn't have a job or anything and wasn't all that attractive, but she found a job and has worked her way through the bureaucracy. DC is like a big frat.

I see a consulting business in our future. I worked in IT, so I know how to bilk a customer.
I have the Communications major with the double minor History and American Studies. Not only do these millennial and x'ers not know much....they don't even suspect much..even 20th Century history is mostly a mystery to them.

Yup. It provides a baseline knowledge most lack. Probably why you have no trouble cleaning up on the posters on this board
The world needs more HIstory majors. We're a dying breed.
I didn’t know it at the time I studied history, but I now know that studying history is a great way to learn and apply cause and effect. That is an important skill to master. I’m in the middle of an 800 page Am History book now. It focuses on US role in the world. Many events and issues presented in new ways.

WVU already pretty much sucked as a school. And the irony of Gordon Gee pushing this is thick.

Also nice timing - right before students arrive on campus, well after any incoming students could have changed course.
For sure on all counts. Good party town tho.

I didn’t know it at the time I studied history, but I now know that studying history is a great way to learn and apply cause and effect. That is an important skill to master. I’m in the middle of an 800 page Am History book now. It focuses on US role in the world. Many events and issues presented in new ways.
One of a kind of odd history class at IU I took was US diplomacy in the Caribbean during the Revolutionary War.

I can't say I remember much about it, but the professor was a great lecturer, but quirky. A bunch of people were making noise in the hall in Ballentyne and he was in the middle of his lecture and all of a sudden shouted "What the HELL is going out out there". Went out and shushed the people, came back to class, and proceded with his lecture like nothing ever happened. lol

I'm always finding out history I didn't know - social media, like Facebook, is good for that. Lots of minutia that you never knew. You just have to make sure the source is reputable.

WVU already pretty much sucked as a school. And the irony of Gordon Gee pushing this is thick.

Also nice timing - right before students arrive on campus, well after any incoming students could have changed course.
Gee doesn't like spending money on students when he could spend it on himself. 🤯

Reactions: ulrey and Noodle
My wife was an art history minor. I can confirm how useless it was.
I bet your home has some great art in it, though. Amiright?

We knew a girl who went to college in Savannah to earn a degree in, I think, Art History, but the real goal was to be a museum curator. I always thought that would be a pretty cool job.

Reactions: UncleMark

We knew a girl who went to college in Savannah to earn a degree in, I think, Art History, but the real goal was to be a museum curator. I always thought that would be a pretty cool job.
As an undergraduate I researched all my elective courses with the following criteria: how easy would it be to get an A and second did I have to go to class.

40 years later I would love to have taken an art history class or a foreign language. But the trade-off was I would have had to cut down on my womanizing and drinking so if I had to do it all over again I probably would have done the same thing as before.

I love Excel. Like a child.

However, generally no they are not interesting. Plu the insurance world is dead without liberal arts majors.
Lotus123 was/is superior. But it is the BetaMax of spreadsheets. Had several IT people tell me I must have been the last Lotus spreadsheet guy in the world. Still have my disc.

Could always save the Lotus file as an Excel file and send it on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT