ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Legal Question

SqueakyClean

Junior
Feb 18, 2014
Not sure if this news item made it here on this forum yet.

The skinny:
Robber walks into a restaurant brandishing a gun and demands the cash from the diners. While walking around collecting the cash, one of the diners pulls out a gun and shoots the robber nine times. The enclosed article has a video of the robbery but is edited to cut out for the shooting portions.
Off hand, this looks like an act of self-defense and the armed diner is completely without blame in this situation. While it does turn out that the gun that the robber was using was fake, it was real enough looking that nobody faults the diner from acting under the belief that it is real. So that fact is immaterial.

So here's the "twist". According to my son who originally discussed this story with me (and I should note, I have not verified the further information coming next...it is information that was on a reddit post about the robbery, so for all I know, this could be some gun-haters adding flavor to the story that may not be true), the diner does not shoot 9 times in quick succession. Instead, he first shoots five times. Then, when the robber is down prone on the floor, he fires off two more. Then he gets up, and puts a round in the back of the robber's head. Then he removes the (fake) gun from the robbers hand.

The question is, was the line between self-defense and murder crossed here? The first five shots? To me, absolutely justified. No argument at all. The next two? Questionable, but I can see the argument. I am somewhat struggling with the last shot though. In the self-defense classes that I take, I have always been told that you are justified in your actions up until the point where the instigator is no longer a threat. Since there are other people there, I would think that you could have your gun leveled at the robber after the first 8 shots and then ask another patron to grab the gun out of the robbers hand. I guess it comes down to the question as to whether there is still a chance that the robber is a threat when he is prone on the floor, even if he is still holding the gun.

Now, I am also very aware of the fact that, in situations like this, your brain does not necessarily work at its most rational level. In life and death situations, it's act or die. I believe that the self-defense laws are somewhat "open" to account for this fact. Still, this seems like it might be a touch over the edge.

So what say you. Assuming that the account above is accurate, was the line between self-defense and homicide crossed?
(Of note, this robbery occurred in Texas. The dumbass robber should have known that at least one of the patrons would be packing)

So what say you. Assuming that the account above is accurate, was the line between self-defense and homicide crossed?
(Of note, this robbery occurred in Texas. The dumbass robber should have known that at least one of the patrons would be packing)

I've read accounts about the execution style kill shot to the back of the head as well. Too much? Of course. Will he be charged? No freaking way.

Self defense protection ends precisely when you are no longer in need of self defense. Here, that would almost certainly be after the first barrage of shots, unless the guy was some Freddy Kruger character that bullets wouldn't take down. There are eyewitnesses than can determine that. Guy's in trouble, it seems to me. Some juries might be sympathetic though.

I think this guy clearly wanted to kill someone and got his chance. That said, i doubt he gets charged with anything and I am not sure he should be charged with anything.

Reactions: UncleMark
Self defense protection ends precisely when you are no longer in need of self defense. Here, that would almost certainly be after the first barrage of shots, unless the guy was some Freddy Kruger character that bullets wouldn't take down. There are eyewitnesses than can determine that. Guy's in trouble, it seems to me. Some juries might be sympathetic though.
You can go with the "bullet-proof" vest defense though. Now, I am aware that even if your vest stops the eight rounds, you are on the ground in pain, just not dead. Are you still able to be a threat though, especially if you still have a gun in your hand? Possibly.

You can go with the "bullet-proof" vest defense though.
That defense would be pretty easy to defeat if the victim were bleeding all over the place, as he almost certainly would have been, and a room full of people could attest to that.

Here’s the video. Somewhat graphic. I hope he doesn’t get convicted of anything and I would vote not guilty. However, I actually agree with Jack’s claim.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Better safe than sorry. How many movies have we seen where they think the bad guy is dead but isn't and then comes back and kills them? They don't lie in movies.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Head shot came after he'd removed the gun. That's an execution.
Two things on the video:

Perp's gun is up in the air. I originally thought he was walking out (he might have been) and had he never raised the gun....?

But he raised it. All but the last shot appear justified. That last shot though. I mean, guy's probably dead anyway. I don't think he missed from short range (the original 7 or so shots).

How did the victim know the assailant had only one gun? He couldn’t know! Not guilty! You don’t want me on the jury😁
It wouldn't matter if an obviously incapacitated and possibly already dead person had another weapon.

Here’s the video. Somewhat graphic. I hope he doesn’t get convicted of anything and I would vote not guilty. However, I actually agree with Jack’s claim.
Thanks for finding this.

Of note:
1) The version that I was told was somewhat accurate, but still a little off. Looks like the gun goes flying off to the corner when the guy goes down with the first few shots. The diner takes the two shots, retrieves the gun, and then puts the last round in.
2) I don't see any blood.
3) It is what I figured, over reallllly quickly. What, 5 seconds tops? No time to really even think through the situation.

If anything is going to get this guy in trouble, it's that last shot. Obviously incapacitated guy. Primary weapon is no longer in hand. The argument that he is no longer a threat is pretty significant.

I agree with the others though, odds are he wont be charged.

Reactions: snarlcakes
One of the most fun DUI cases I ever tried was when a drunk was pulled over driving on 3 flat tires.

He tried a necessity defense, claiming he had to drive drunk to keep himself from getting his ass kicked.

He was at a bar with his wife, brother, and sister-in-law. One thing led to another and he jumped the DJ outside of the bar. One of the bouncers was fixin to do what bouncers do and his rabbit ass ran off to his car.

One of the cooks then stabbed out 3 of his tires with a meat thermometer. He ended up hitting the bouncer with his car on the way out. His wife got in his brother's truck and went home. As the DUI left the lot, he passed a fire house and his brother passed him heading home.

He was charged with DUI and Hit & Run. We tried to get the necessity defense struck because he created the necessity from starting a fight but were denied because, well, Marion County.

So I actually voir dired on the shooting fact pattern this case is about, because that was going to be the whole case. That at some point there is a line between self-defense and murder.

At the end of the day, the jury bought the necessity defense for the hit & run, but not the DUI. Because the necessity defense is over when the necessity is over. In my case, he could've stopped at the fire house for help or he could've parked his car and got in his brother's truck. He didn't do either and didn't have a free pass to drive drunk as much as he wanted.

In this shooting case, who knows? I tend to think in hindsight it's probably beyond self defense. In the heat of the moment, I'm not quite so sure. And it'll be really tough to get a unanimous conviction, so probably won't be charged.

Remember the Joe Horn case? Zero chance a jury in Texas would ever convict.

Head shot came after he'd removed the gun. That's an execution.
There may be some heat of the moment defense that could downgrade it from murder to some form of reckless homicide, but, yeah, that last shot was bad. His best bet is either a sympathetic jury or a coroner's report that says the guy was already DOA before the final shot was fired, so he can plead down to mutilation of a corpse.

Not sure if this news item made it here on this forum yet.

The skinny:
Robber walks into a restaurant brandishing a gun and demands the cash from the diners. While walking around collecting the cash, one of the diners pulls out a gun and shoots the robber nine times. The enclosed article has a video of the robbery but is edited to cut out for the shooting portions.
Off hand, this looks like an act of self-defense and the armed diner is completely without blame in this situation. While it does turn out that the gun that the robber was using was fake, it was real enough looking that nobody faults the diner from acting under the belief that it is real. So that fact is immaterial.

So here's the "twist". According to my son who originally discussed this story with me (and I should note, I have not verified the further information coming next...it is information that was on a reddit post about the robbery, so for all I know, this could be some gun-haters adding flavor to the story that may not be true), the diner does not shoot 9 times in quick succession. Instead, he first shoots five times. Then, when the robber is down prone on the floor, he fires off two more. Then he gets up, and puts a round in the back of the robber's head. Then he removes the (fake) gun from the robbers hand.

The question is, was the line between self-defense and murder crossed here? The first five shots? To me, absolutely justified. No argument at all. The next two? Questionable, but I can see the argument. I am somewhat struggling with the last shot though. In the self-defense classes that I take, I have always been told that you are justified in your actions up until the point where the instigator is no longer a threat. Since there are other people there, I would think that you could have your gun leveled at the robber after the first 8 shots and then ask another patron to grab the gun out of the robbers hand. I guess it comes down to the question as to whether there is still a chance that the robber is a threat when he is prone on the floor, even if he is still holding the gun.

Now, I am also very aware of the fact that, in situations like this, your brain does not necessarily work at its most rational level. In life and death situations, it's act or die. I believe that the self-defense laws are somewhat "open" to account for this fact. Still, this seems like it might be a touch over the edge.

he probably just miscounted.

harryhed_2.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT