ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois -6.5 … game notes

TomEric4756

All-Big Ten
Sep 20, 2021
My expectation is Bret will seek to repeat Rutger’s success and will use his beefy OL to push the ball down the field with a steady diet of handoffs to #3, a 250 lb RB with fresh legs. His size may remind some of Pete Johnson, Archie Griffin’s FB, who was a talented runner in his own right.

DL and LBs will need to shed blocks quickly and flow to the ball in numbers. DBs need to cover All BiG WR candidate #1, who caught the 4th and long pass to kickstart the drive for the winning score.

Starting QB, #2, has thrown a few picks. I’ve seen him as an elusive runner. Something IU has struggled with at times. He left the TCF field.

IU’s OL will be challenged by Illini DTs … Katic, Carpenter, and Bedford could be the key matchup for offensive success.

Illinois game notes:

IU game notes:

Some writers think this should be a revenge game for Illinois … considering last year’s loss.
That would be a mistake, leading to an underestimation this year’s squad.

Last edited:
My expectation is Bret will seek to repeat Rutger’s success and will use his beefy OL to push the ball down the field with a steady diet of handoffs to #3, a 250 lb RB with fresh legs. His size may remind some of Pete Johnson, Archie Griffin’s FB, who was a talented runner in his own right.

DL and LBs will need to shed blocks quickly and flow to the ball in numbers. DBs need to cover All BiG WR candidate #1, who caught the 4th and long pass to kickstart the drive for the winning score.

Starting QB, #2, has thrown a few picks. I’ve seen him as an illusive runner. Something IU has struggled with at times. He left the TCF field.

IU’s OL will be challenged by Illini DTs … Katic, Carpenter, and Bedford could be the key matchup for offensive success.

Illinois game notes:

IU game notes:

Some writers think this should be a revenge game for Illinois … considering last year’s loss.
The Illini looked dangerous and difficult to beat against MN... We'll have to be at our very best to get this W...

Starting QB, #2, has thrown a few picks. I’ve seen him as an illusive runner. Something IU has struggled with at times. He left the TCF field.

Illinois game notes:

IU game notes:

Illusive running quarterbacks are often harder to prepare for and defend against than those who are elusive. If he’s both, it could be a long day for our guys.

The Illini looked dangerous and difficult to beat against MN... We'll have to be at our very best to get this W...
That was quite a comeback. I'm sure they've got some confidence now but hopefully so do we. We beat a good Wisconsin team, and have to follow it up with a win Saturday. We'll score points, but I don't like shootouts. Our D needs to bring it.

That was quite a comeback. I'm sure they've got some confidence now but hopefully so do we. We beat a good Wisconsin team, and have to follow it up with a win Saturday. We'll score points, but I don't like shootouts. Our D needs to bring it.
If the defense keeps playing like they have been the last two weeks, Indiana should be right there for the W. That's just my opinion.

I was going to elude to that but you beet me to it.
Being both illusive and elusive (and, perhaps, even allusive) would certainly enable the quarterback, as Hank Stram might say, to matriculate the ball down the field. At least that’s what I both implied and inferred.

Last edited:
Illinois puts points on the board pretty consistently...we are going to need to hold them defensively, but our offense will need to score 3+ touchdowns IMO.
I'm worried about our RT. The backup was a serious weak point for us last season and he made the same error he did multiple times then (let a guy beat him to the inside) against WI...

We may have to provide TE help on that side on all the offensive snaps... I'd have the TE chip block on every down, bounce two steps deep diagonally to the right and look for a panic dump off throw... We might be able to make lemonade out of lemons if we can pick up 4 or 5 yards a pop on that connection... A delayed slant over the middle (from the TE) might work too...

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Altmyer was not cleared to play yesterday … Illini can be assumed to start Paddock … a sixth year SR, who started multiple seasons for Ball State.

Paddock transferred into Illinois from Ball State for his sixth season of college football to provide the Illini an experienced backup behind Altmyer in case an injury did occur. That experience shined bright in his miraculous drive against the Gophers and will need to again should he get the start under center.

https://www.thechampaignroom.com/20...iana-fighting-illini-illinois-big-ten-bielema

Last edited:
Reactions: midwolfe
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT