ADVERTISEMENT

"I wanted to destroy Bill Clinton"- former GOP rep

cosmickid

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2009
For some reason I don't really remember this guy, but thought some might find his story interesting.
Strange given his deep conservativeness that he was primaried by Trey Gowdy, but it does sound like he's grown,at least on the issue of "climate change" and accepting science. And he seems to realize that Trump is a phony as well...

"A former Republican congressman who led the charge to impeach Bill Clinton in 1998 said he paid a visit to the former Democratic president a few years ago to ask forgiveness for his role in the affair.

“I hated Bill Clinton, wanted to destroy him, asked to be on Judiciary Committee so that I could impeach him,” said Bob Inglis, R-S.C., in an interview on “The Long Game,” a Yahoo News podcast."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/republic...g-1998-impeachment-has-regrets-100011971.html

For some reason I don't really remember this guy, but thought some might find his story interesting.
Strange given his deep conservativeness that he was primaried by Trey Gowdy, but it does sound like he's grown,at least on the issue of "climate change" and accepting science. And he seems to realize that Trump is a phony as well...

"A former Republican congressman who led the charge to impeach Bill Clinton in 1998 said he paid a visit to the former Democratic president a few years ago to ask forgiveness for his role in the affair.

“I hated Bill Clinton, wanted to destroy him, asked to be on Judiciary Committee so that I could impeach him,” said Bob Inglis, R-S.C., in an interview on “The Long Game,” a Yahoo News podcast."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/republic...g-1998-impeachment-has-regrets-100011971.html

We should all take a step back....I don't support impeachment.....I made a rash post on here that said I did.

This is the problem with emotional reaction. We have a mechanism to remove Trump, and that's less than 11 months away. Use those methods.

We should all take a step back....I don't support impeachment.....I made a rash post on here that said I did.

This is the problem with emotional reaction. We have a mechanism to remove Trump, and that's less than 11 months away. Use those methods.
I think we should all step up. Trump is directly using the resources of the Presidency to make fair elections impossible. Elections are not a mechanism to remove Trump if those elections are corrupted. Moreover, impeachment is exactly the mechanism built into the constitution to try and remove wannabe tyrants.

I think we should all step up. Trump is directly using the resources of the Presidency to make fair elections impossible. Elections are not a mechanism to remove Trump if those elections are corrupted. Moreover, impeachment is exactly the mechanism built into the constitution to try and remove wannabe tyrants.

The founders could have written in that impeachment could not happen in the year before an election. They did not. Yet many (not necessarily twenty) who say that we must follow the constitution exactly as written suddenly deviate far afield of what is written.

The implication of your post is that the two sides are symmetric. Democrats today are motivated by hatred just like the Republicans of yore. It is not the case. Indeed, my bet is that the future will be filled with stories of rueful rightwingers who regret opposing Trump's impeachment. The same hatred that Inglis recognizes was the driver for his behavior in the past is what animates Trump's defenders today.

The implication of your post is that the two sides are symmetric. Democrats today are motivated by hatred just like the Republicans of yore. It is not the case. Indeed, my bet is that the future will be filled with stories of rueful rightwingers who regret opposing Trump's impeachment. The same hatred that Inglis recognizes was the driver for his behavior in the past is what animates Trump's defenders today.
Of course Democrats are motivated by their hatred of Trump. Trump is easy to hate and he is clearly hated. That doesn’t mean hatred is the only motivation or the primary motivation. I don’t think it is. It wasn’t with Clinton either. Clinton was far less hated than Trump is.

Of course Democrats are motivated by their hatred of Trump. Trump is easy to hate and he is clearly hated. That doesn’t mean hatred is the only motivation or the primary motivation. I don’t think it is. It wasn’t with Clinton either. Clinton was far less hated than Trump is.
The fundamental error you make is the assumption that people are alike. You assume that because some people are motivated by hate and some movements built on hate that this must be true of all people and all movements. People are different, movements are different. Things you think are symmetric aren't. The tension between what we today call Democrats and Republicans are much more a reflection of long term and persistent and recurrent differences between people.

The founders could have written in that impeachment could not happen in the year before an election. They did not. Yet many (not necessarily twenty) who say that we must follow the constitution exactly as written suddenly deviate far afield of what is written.

Its an argument that many on the right just made up. Like there is some perfect time during a 4 year term for impeachment. There isn’t.

This was the same argument McConnell made to screw over Obama and Garland. When asked if he’d do the same for a GOP President he laughed and said of course not. You can’t make these unwritten rules and act like the GOP will play by them. They won’t. And then they will laugh in your face for you ever believing they would.

While that would be easier politically, I just disagree. I think if the facts show that a President is guilty of attempted bribery of another head of state for his own political gain, and obstruction of Congress' investigation into his alleged crimes, as well as obstruction of justice during the Russia matter, you have to impeach out of a matter of principle. Not to do so would concede that he is above the law.

The fundamental error you make is the assumption that people are alike. You assume that because some people are motivated by hate and some movements built on hate that this must be true of all people and all movements. People are different, movements are different. Things you think are symmetric aren't. The tension between what we today call Democrats and Republicans are much more a reflection of long term and persistent and recurrent differences between people.
I don’t think I made an error, fundamental or otherwise. I made a simple and objectively accurate observation that there is an abundance of hatred for Trump among Democrats (and not only Democrats) and it is a motivating factor in the current impeachment. I don’t think that’s controversial. There is plenty of hatred for him on this board and I’d have say my feelings for him as a person could be considered a form of hatred too since I can’t stand the man,

Could you please explain your thoughts wrt not impeaching? I've come to the opposite conclusion, and don't feel I've been rash about it.

I don’t think I made an error, fundamental or otherwise. I made a simple and objectively accurate observation that there is an abundance of hatred for Trump among Democrats (and not only Democrats) and it is a motivating factor in the current impeachment. I don’t think that’s controversial. There is plenty of hatred for him on this board and I’d have say my feelings for him as a person could be considered a form of hatred too since I can’t stand the man,
I know that you don't think you made an error. I know you think that you detect "an abundance of hatred for Trump among Democrats". I know that you typically accuse me of hatred for Republicans. I know that you describe your feelings for Trump as a kind of hatred. I think your understanding of the situation when it comes to understanding everyone but yourself is off. Just for example, anger and hatred are not the same thing. The situation is critically more complicated than you understand. Those with power and privilege have different problems from those who don't have those things. The feelings that they have about each other are different.

Reactions: Rockfish1
I know that you don't think you made an error. I know you think that you detect "an abundance of hatred for Trump among Democrats". I know that you typically accuse me of hatred for Republicans. I know that you describe your feelings for Trump as a kind of hatred. I think your understanding of the situation when it comes to understanding everyone but yourself is off. Just for example, anger and hatred are not the same thing. The situation is critically more complicated than you understand. Those with power and privilege have different problems from those who don't have those things. The feelings that they have about each other are different.
I have no idea what you think you’re saying, but I know that there is a lot of hatred AND anger for AND toward Trump that is undoubtedly a factor in the current impeachment. I’m not saying that hatred and anger is unwarranted, but it obviously exists and it’s a factor.

I don’t recall saying that you hate Republicans, but I believe you have a tendency to believe Democrats are mostly virtuous and Republicans as something else entirely.

I have no idea what you think you’re saying, but I know that there is a lot of hatred AND anger for AND toward Trump that is undoubtedly a factor in the current impeachment. I’m not saying that hatred and anger is unwarranted, but it obviously exists and it’s a factor.

I don’t recall saying that you hate Republicans, but I believe you have a tendency to believe Democrats are mostly virtuous and Republicans as something else entirely.
Obama was hated but there was never any serious mention of impeachment. The impetus to impeach Trump is based on his behavior.

Obama was hated but there was never any serious mention of impeachment. The impetus to impeach Trump is based on his behavior.
The hatred for Obama and GWB pales by comparison to the hatred for Trump. Again, it’s very understandable why that would be. The man is a contemptible person.

The hatred for Obama and GWB pales by comparison to the hatred for Trump. Again, it’s very understandable why that would be. The man is a contemptible person.
The level of hatred for Trump is proportional to his behavior.

Oh I’m not sure about that. The level of hatred for Obama and Michelle is much of what catapulted Trump into office. Not sure how you measure the level of hatred, but there certainly was plenty there and still is.

I am saying the positions, feelings etc between the Dems and Reps are not symmetric. I am saying the principle animating emotion for Reps today is hatred. I am saying that the principle animating emotion for Dems is not. Yes, there is a tremendous amount of anger towards Trump...appropriate as you say. There was also anger towards Bush. People who feel they are being abused are angry. But hatred is a different thing. Anger aims at changing behavior of partners. Hatred is aimed at destroying an enemy. Those who are animated by hate won't find a comfortable spot among Dems. The Dems will always strike them as insufficiently militant, insufficiently willing to exact revenge, too prone to appease and forgive wrong doers, soft on crime, namby pamby, coddlers etc. This is precisely the complaint about some on the far left make about the Dems. It is also exactly the charge that the right makes against the Dems.

Whether some emotional response is a virtue or a vice depends upon whether it is tuned to the situation or not. Sometimes hatred is an appropriate response, sometimes anger, sometimes accommodation. Let's just try to understand the key differences between the parties.

Oh I’m not sure about that. The level of hatred for Obama and Michelle is much of what catapulted Trump into office. Not sure how you measure the level of hatred, but there certainly was plenty there and still is.
There was some, but it wasn’t nearly as widespread as it is for Trump. The fact that a significant number of former Obama voters voted for Trump should tell you it was something other than Obama hatred that elected Trump. Personally, I didn’t have any hatred at all for President Obama. I liked the man. I didn’t like some of his policies so some, probably you as well, accused me of hatred or racism when I dared to offer even mild criticism. So sensitive. ;)

I am saying the positions, feelings etc between the Dems and Reps are not symmetric. I am saying the principle animating emotion for Reps today is hatred. I am saying that the principle animating emotion for Dems is not. Yes, there is a tremendous amount of anger towards Trump...appropriate as you say. There was also anger towards Bush. People who feel they are being abused are angry. But hatred is a different thing. Anger aims at changing behavior of partners. Hatred is aimed at destroying an enemy. Those who are animated by hate won't find a comfortable spot among Dems. The Dems will always strike them as insufficiently militant, insufficiently willing to exact revenge, too prone to appease and forgive wrong doers, soft on crime, namby pamby, coddlers etc. This is precisely the complaint about some on the far left make about the Dems. It is also exactly the charge that the right makes against the Dems.

Whether some emotional response is a virtue or a vice depends upon whether it is tuned to the situation or not. Sometimes hatred is an appropriate response, sometimes anger, sometimes accommodation. Let's just try to understand the key differences between the parties.
I was right. You think Democrats are virtuous and apparently incapable of hatred. I find that quite humorous.

I was right. You think Democrats are virtuous and apparently incapable of hatred. I find that quite humorous.
Except it isn't what I am saying. I made no claim that Dems are virtuous and Reps not. I would say that each group has characteristics that in some situations are virtues and in others are vices. Of course individual dems are capable of hatred but hatred is not a characteristic failing of Dems. Of course some individual reps are not generally motivated by hatred. I don't think that hatred is characteristic of economic conservatives as a matter of fact. But hatred is a characteristic of the far right that has moved into a central position of today's GOP.

Last edited:
Except it isn't what I am saying. I made no claim that Dems are virtuous and Reps not. I would say that each group has characteristics that in some situations are virtues and in others are vices. Of course individual dems are capable of hatred but hatred is not a characteristic failing of Dems. Of course some individual reps are not generally motivated by hatred. I don't think that hatred is characteristic of economic conservatives as a matter of fact. But hatred is a characteristic of the far right that has moved into a central position of today's GOP.
I think hatred is in fact a “characteristic failing” of Democrats, the same it is of Republicans. They’re both people and Americans with very common virtues and failings.

I think hatred is in fact a “characteristic failing” of Democrats, the same it is of Republicans. They’re both people and Americans with very common virtues and failings.
Also, if you don’t think a large number of Democrats absolutely hate Trump, you’re fooling yourself. I doubt you’d be supported by most of the Dems on this board.

Also, if you don’t think a large number of Democrats absolutely hate Trump, you’re fooling yourself. I doubt you’d be supported by most of the Dems on this board.
If I had the chance, I'd spit in his face and take my lumps from the Secret Service. As much as I disliked GWB, I would have treated him with appropriate respect.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
You think hatred is a characteristic of Dems and I disagree. Fer God's sake Dems can't bring themselves to use capital punishment on serial killers and think the 9-11 terrorists should be tried under American law. Whenever there is a choice between justice and mercy the Dems choose mercy. This is NOT the behavior of people animated by hate. This "softness" is characteristic of Dems...it is both a virtue and a vice.

Yes both groups are people, both are Americans, both have virtues and vices. No, their virtues and vices are not common across the groups. They are characterized by different virtues and vices.

C'mon, we can agree your daughter's militant vegan friend was a jerk. You feel the same way about Trump and your daughter's vegan friend?
Nah, I pretend to like my daughter's militant vegan friend. ;) By the way, my daughter also decided to be a vegan about a year ago. I hope it's just a phase. At least she's not a militant vegan.

You think hatred is a characteristic of Dems and I disagree. Fer God's sake Dems can't bring themselves to use capital punishment on serial killers and think the 9-11 terrorists should be tried under American law. Whenever there is a choice between justice and mercy the Dems choose mercy. This is NOT the behavior of people animated by hate. This "softness" is characteristic of Dems...it is both a virtue and a vice.
Actually, I had the opinion for many years, especially the GWB years, that no one could possibly hate like Democrats hated. I've since changed my opinion - Democrats and Republicans can both be equally hateful.

By the way, being for justice isn't hateful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT