ADVERTISEMENT

I like a good French army joke as much as the next person

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
As a longtime war gamer, I've heard and said about every joke possible about the French and Italian armies. But here is a good article on the French Army of WWII.

Even today the French really do not honor their army of 1940. The thing is, the army didn't fail France. At least not in the sense of cowardice. They were outmaneuvered. That's on the generals, not the soldiers.

The French developed a plan to hide part of their army in the Maginot line, and to advance part of their army into Belgium to hold firm there. The intent of the plan was not to lose a vast amount of France in the opening of the war as they had done in 1914. I think the French were right in one important regard, fighting a war in your own country comes at a high cost. The area between these two armies was the Ardennes. Given the lack or roads in the area, and the poor terrain, the decision was made it did not need much protection.

Much is made about the French not believing the Ardennes to be passable. They were right, it was impassible by the German Army as a whole. The German Army even in 1945 was horse-drawn. Dragging artillery through the Ardennes via horse would have been a slow and painful process. The Germans however decided to risk not taking their artillery with them. The Stuka would serve as their 88. Instead of calling for 88 fire, waves of Stukas would pound French positions. The French did not have this concept on their radar.

When the Germans came out near Sedan, they found a key bridge very lightly defended. Guderian saw his chance and quickly seized the bridge even though his force wasn't close to being fully available.

Now France's other great weakness came into play. The Germans had seen the power of armored forces. The French believed armor should be diluted in infantry units. Had the French seized a German bridge, the Germans could quickly order an armored unit to assault. The French had no armored units, they had a handful of tanks scattered in infantry. Because of this approach, not only would they be slow to respond but their tanks were slow moving. No need for a tank that can take off an leave the infantry behind.

So the French and the British did the only thing they could do, they sacrificed their air units. Both countries launched repeated attacks against the bridge. But 1) the technology to hit bridges successfully wasn't nearly as advanced in 1940 and 2) the Germans defended that bridge with as much flak and air as they could. The British air commander would eventually war Churchill that the Battle of France was over and if Churchill didn't preserve some of his air force, the Battle of Britain would also be lost.

So France falls in a little over a month. It goes down in history as a route, the French soldier is made fun of and/or vilified. But if you have read that article, the truth is a bit different. In that one month of combat, the Germans lost 50,000 men dead and 160,000 wounded. We lost roughly 50,000 men in a decade of Vietnam. The Germans lost 1800 of the 3000 tanks they attacked with. They lost 1600 of their 3500 planes. To an extent this is a pyrrhic victory for Germany, those men/tanks/planes would have been desperately needed in the vast Russian steppes.

I don't know what there is to discuss about it, but it is interesting how we take a snippit of history and make a truth out of it. Yes, France lost a major war in one month. But that was not indicative of an army that refused to fight, or fought poorly. It is indicative of an army that advanced to meet the enemy only to discover the enemy was now behind them. Those men that fought probably deserve that the truth be told about that war. The French soldier didn't lose that war, their commanders did.

Somewhere out there is an Onion I wanted to link here but couldn't find. It was a story of a German commander praising the valor of the French commander. The German said something like being close to considering ordering his men to fire before the Frenchman surrendered.

As a longtime war gamer, I've heard and said about every joke possible about the French and Italian armies. But here is a good article on the French Army of WWII.

Nice post, Marv.

Sounds like the French were fighting the chess match that unfolded in 1914 instead of the one that Germany had in store in 1945.

That indicates a lack of intel regarding Germany's actual military capabilities . . . and Germany's willingness to use it.

I walked through the French Army Museum in Paris

A very unremarkable museum. My stoker and I were pretty much alone there. The French did produce some of the finest artillary of the 19th century. Too bad they couldn't use or deploy it very well. The French Foreign Legion was able to protect the French Colonial interests in Africa. So there is that. But of course the Legion wasn't French. BTW, The 1939 version of Beau Geste is one of my favorite classic movies. Maybe you've seen it.

French soldiers training for field combat:

18061.jpg

In seriousness, however, that was an excellent post Marvin. Germany had the advantage until the allies figured out they weren't fighting WW I anymore.

Funny that, as much as Hitler and his commanders knew this on land and in the air, they did not figure it out at sea.

In many respects the attack on Pearl Harbor forced that issue in the Pacific. Without battleships to fall back on the navy was forced to evolve quickly to a carrier based force. They had no other choice.

The old saw is that generals fight the last war. In France's case that was a bit more literal than usual. Everything seemed based on stopping the Schlieflen plan.

France had structural problems, her birthrate had been very low between wars. This impacted her military and economy.

Doug, you are right about Pearl forcing us to reevaluate our navy. The carrier forces in the Pentagon had lost the argument. I have mentioned before that the 1941 Army-Navy football game program contained a photo of a battleship with the caption that a plane had never sunk a battleship at sea. The Brits had gotten Italian ships at port. The ship in the ad, the USS Arizona.

The Germans had two advantages. Their army was built new in the 1930s, so some of the inbuilt lethargy was not there. They also fought in Spain and that gave them experience with modern weapons.

For a great WW2 infographic click here. I don't always have luck from the phone, so try this URL if that did not work.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/06/05/comments?wpsrc=fol_fb

I can't get the link to bring up a page. The German navy was also as modern as could be for WWII, but it was the wrong Navy. No aircraft carriers. While the Atlantic Campaign was very different from the Pacific, Hitler's surface fleet was impotent without the umbrella of air cover, and his handful of battleships and cruisers did more damage by existing than it did in actually engaging the British.

The submarines were another story, but even they were helpless against the anti submarine techniques developed in 1943 and 1944.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT