ADVERTISEMENT

Here's another feel-good story.

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
I can't confirm this is true, it's from a friend of a friend's graduation in Fort Wayne last week. Seems to be legit. It's too cool not to be.

Anyway, seems a Mr. Greg Porter, Elkhart Central Class of 1980, was in town for his nephew's graduation. One of his nephew's friends was in a bit of a jam on commencement day. The folks in charge decided his shoes didn't meet the dress code requirements. Problem was, the kid didn't have any better shoes, and couldn't afford to buy any.

So Mr. Porter offered to swap. And that's how we end up with this picture of the kindly old gentleman wearing the kid's sneakers and the kid wearing his bitchin' purple leather boots:

tumblr_nq0c5eVm5Y1qhm2hjo1_1280.jpg

As Mr. Porter put it:
"I took off my boots and put em on his feet and told him to go get yo Damn diploma Sir. Yes sir my boots graduated with the class of Northside High school 2015. Congratulations to all that walked."

Here's another...

I was part of the Monroe County delegation to the State (Indiana) Special Olympics Summer Games in Terre Haute this past weekend.At our chaperone/coaches meeting Sat night one of the other chaperones related a story about what happened to him when he took a group of 6 or 7 athletes to IHOP for breakfast that morning...

They had finished eating and he was collecting the money from each athlete to pay for their individual breakfast bills.As he was doing so, the waitress showed up at the table and told him that an anonymous patron had already taken care of everything (including tip).The guy assured us that it was a "sizable" bill,and it made a huge impression on all of us.I'd be surprised if it was an isolated incident...

Reactions: Noodle
Anyway, seems a Mr. Greg Porter, Elkhart Central Class of 1980, was in town for his nephew's graduation. One of his nephew's friends was in a bit of a jam on commencement day. The folks in charge decided his shoes didn't meet the dress code requirements. Problem was, the kid didn't have any better shoes, and couldn't afford to buy any.

So Mr. Porter offered to swap. And that's how we end up with this picture of the kindly old gentleman wearing the kid's sneakers and the kid wearing his bitchin' purple leather boots:

As Mr. Porter put it:
"I took off my boots and put em on his feet and told him to go get yo Damn diploma Sir. Yes sir my boots graduated with the class of Northside High school 2015. Congratulations to all that walked."

That's a cool story. What kind of Nazi school system has a dress shoe code?

They had finished eating and he was collecting the money from each athlete to pay for their individual breakfast bills.As he was doing so, the waitress showed up at the table and told him that an anonymous patron had already taken care of everything (including tip).The guy assured us that it was a "sizable" bill,and it made a huge impression on all of us.I'd be surprised if it was an isolated incident...

I used to work in the restaurant industry, and it happens occasionally.

At one of our places we had a waitress with two kids with cerebral palsy (or another chronic condition, not sure which now). There was a wealthy couple that spent the summers in town and came to the restaurant. They always requested her as their waitress and left her a $100 bill as a tip. They probably ate lunch there about once a week, maybe more, throughout the summer.

ADVERTISEMENT