ADVERTISEMENT

Here's a great example of how the media infect us with subtle racism.

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
Someone on the NBC News Twitter apparently didn't think twice about posting a picture of a mugshot of shooting victim Samuel DuBose next to a portrait of his shooter smiling in uniform next to the flag:

A man named Rigel Robinson was having none of it:

Bias in the media isn't always about reporters taking a political stance, or trying to choose the terms of the debate. Sometimes it's as simple as choosing which pictures to publish.

Someone on the NBC News Twitter apparently didn't think twice about posting a picture of a mugshot of shooting victim Samuel DuBose next to a portrait of his shooter smiling in uniform next to the flag:

Bias in the media isn't always about reporters taking a political stance, or trying to choose the terms of the debate. Sometimes it's as simple as choosing which pictures to publish.
This is a terrible story. You have a guy driving on a suspended license, who didn't have a front license plate for his car, which is why he got pulled over in the first place. From the policeman's video there was a tussle, and the cop said he was being dragged by Samuel, and feared for his life by being run over. If all this is true then where is the racism? I agree with you Goat, it is being made up. Now should Samuel had been shot? I don't know because I wasn't there. This is why we have a trial so that the jury can look at the evidence and rule.

This is a terrible story. You have a guy driving on a suspended license, who didn't have a front license plate for his car, which is why he got pulled over in the first place. From the policeman's video there was a tussle, and the cop said he was being dragged by Samuel, and feared for his life by being run over. If all this is true then where is the racism? I agree with you Goat, it is being made up. Now should Samuel had been shot? I don't know because I wasn't there. This is why we have a trial so that the jury can look at the evidence and rule.
First of all, only black men get shot for not having a lisence plate. Have some compassion, man. This dude was executed by this officer for no reason.

Second of all, that's not the racism I was talking about. I was talking about the racism of putting up the mugshot of the victim and the service portrait of the perpetrator. When else have you EVER seen that?

Post a link to a story about a white guy getting pulled over and shot by a white cop for no license plate. If that story is out there I'd love to see it. Better yet, find the same story, but with the races reversed.

Post a link to a story about a white guy getting pulled over and shot by a white cop for no license plate. If that story is out there I'd love to see it. Better yet, find the same story, but with the races reversed.
I don't have time to read this story, but how often do tusels occur b/ween white drivers and black cops? Why are more issues arising between blacks and black cops than whites and black cops? Are black cops out to get other blacks?

But here's the thing: I have followed this story. Your post is the first I have heard that DuBose even had a mugshot. The media as a whole has not remotely portrayed him negatively. Quit the opposite.

So, congrats. You found one bad one.

Here are two Black Cop shoots white dude stories. Took about three minutes on Google.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ert-collar-killed-by-black-cop-trev/?page=all
http://www.texasgopvote.com/issues/...te-veteran-orange-tx-over-racial-slur-0057061

But here's the thing: I have followed this story. Your post is the first I have heard that DuBose even had a mugshot. The media as a whole has not remotely portrayed him negatively. Quit the opposite.

So, congrats. You found one bad one.

This is just a bunch of snowflakes obsessing on micro-agressions, in this case, a couple of photographs.

Tensing is best known as a UC cop, thus the picture.

DuBose had been arrested more than 75 times - served time on a 2005 marijuana trafficking charge; charged with driving without a license more than 13 times between '95 and '09; charged 8 times for driving with a suspended license between 2005 and 2011; charged 4 times between '95 and '09 with failure to display a proper license - and thus there are likely numerous mug shots. He was best known as a criminal, thus the picture.

DuBose was no angel, and before any of the snowflakes get their panties in a bunch, he didn't deserve to be shot. Nevertheless, let's stop the rush to judgment and conviction of Tensing. The video and audio I've seen and heard is pretty clear and indisputable until the "jerkiness" right around the time it appears DuBose begins to open his car door and Tensing fires the shot. Tensing's state of mind at that point will be the linchpin. Remember that Officer Sonny Kim was killed a couple of months ago. Tensions are running high for all law enforcement officers in the area right now.

First of all, only black men get shot for not having a lisence plate. Have some compassion, man. This dude was executed by this officer for no reason.

Second of all, that's not the racism I was talking about. I was talking about the racism of putting up the mugshot of the victim and the service portrait of the perpetrator. When else have you EVER seen that?
I said I felt bad about the situation. But in the video I saw there was a tussle. The cop claims he was being dragged and feared being run over. I am not saying this is true,but it's what he said. The trial will bear out the truth imho, or at least I hope it does.

The first one was determined to be self defense against an 18 year old on drugs.

The second, according to witnesses, was the white guy running his mouth in the store and threatening the manager. The off duty cop happened to be there, but the manager had called police anyways not knowing there was an officer there. Apparently the officer tried to calm Whitehead down and whitehead kept yelling and calling him racial slurs. Witnesses also said whitehead kept coming towards the officer and that the officer warned him he would have to shoot him if he kept coming at him. A witness said whitehead moved toward the officer saying something to the effect of "shoot me n!gger".

Neither story is hardly a black officer pulling over and killing a white guy over his license plate, which is what I said I was looking for.

The first one was determined to be self defense against an 18 year old on drugs.

The second, according to witnesses, was the white guy running his mouth in the store and threatening the manager. The off duty cop happened to be there, but the manager had called police anyways not knowing there was an officer there. Apparently the officer tried to calm Whitehead down and whitehead kept yelling and calling him racial slurs. Witnesses also said whitehead kept coming towards the officer and that the officer warned him he would have to shoot him if he kept coming at him. A witness said whitehead moved toward the officer saying something to the effect of "shoot me n!gger".

Neither story is hardly a black officer pulling over and killing a white guy over his license plate, which is what I said I was looking for.

How is this one? Does the cop have to be black to count or is this about a non-black victim?
http://www.copblock.org/128554/full-body-cam-video-released-utah-police-killing-dillon-taylor/

Or, no pictures, but this:

Adjusted for the homicide rate, whites are 1.7 times more likely than blacks die at the hands of police,” he said. “Adjusted for the racial disparity at which police are feloniously killed, whites are 1.3 times more likely than blacks to die at the hands of police.”​

My understanding of the law about license plates is that it's a secondary violation not to have one and not supposed to be a reason to pull anyone over. At least that's what I was told when I bought my new car and was asked if I wanted to have them put one on the front. I said no because the car was clearly not designed to have a front plate and it would look like crap. I'm taking a chance, but in 7 months I've never been pulled over for that or anything else. I don't think the guy should have been stopped and even if he could be pulled over for not having a front plate, he certainly shouldn't have been shot. This clearly looks like a case of murder to me.

How is this one? Does the cop have to be black to count or is this about a non-black victim?
http://www.copblock.org/128554/full-body-cam-video-released-utah-police-killing-dillon-taylor/

Or, no pictures, but this:

Adjusted for the homicide rate, whites are 1.7 times more likely than blacks die at the hands of police,” he said. “Adjusted for the racial disparity at which police are feloniously killed, whites are 1.3 times more likely than blacks to die at the hands of police.”​

Yes, I posted about this a while back. Of course more white people are killed by police. That's just a given knowing there are roughly 200 million whites and only 30-40 million blacks. The rate at which they are killed by police as a percentage of population is what stands out. You are far far far more likely to die at the hands of police if you're black.

Yes, I posted about this a while back. Of course more white people are killed by police. That's just a given knowing there are roughly 200 million whites and only 30-40 million blacks. The rate at which they are killed by police as a percentage of population is what stands out. You are far far far more likely to die at the hands of police if you're black.

I'm sorry. You just cannot take it as a percentage of the total population. What is the rate by race per police-citizen interaction? Or as a percentage of violent offenders of different races? If one ethnic group has a higher percentage of males from 17-28, say, they will probably have a higher offender rate. I am pretty sure that different races have different rates of violent crime offenders. Even if not and if blacks are unfairly subject to more interactions, you have to account for a higher rate of interactions as a factor driving police on citizen violence rates.

Here is a factoid from the FBI:

Percentage of homicide offenders who are white 32.1
Percentage of homicide offenders who are black: 38.2

Thus, one would expect a higher rate of police interactions--potentially violent ones--with African-Americans.

Last edited:
My understanding of the law about license plates is that it's a secondary violation not to have one and not supposed to be a reason to pull anyone over. At least that's what I was told when I bought my new car and was asked if I wanted to have them put one on the front. I said no because the car was clearly not designed to have a front plate and it would look like crap. I'm taking a chance, but in 7 months I've never been pulled over for that or anything else. I don't think the guy should have been stopped and even if he could be pulled over for not having a front plate, he certainly shouldn't have been shot. This clearly looks like a case of murder to me.
I was always under the impression it was required, but you could get an exemption for certain cars that weren't equipped to handle them.

To me, the issue here isn't the stop. I was just being snarky with that remark. To me the issue is how quickly this escalated to a gun shot to the head. That happened very fast, and seemed unjustified to me, although I'm sure we haven't heard the last of this, yet.

Since I was a small child my parents taught me to do whatever a police officer ordered me to do.
If you aren't in conflict with the law, this shouldn't be a problem.
Why do these individuals continue to resist arrest and or run?
So, if you are pulled over by a cop, should you be allowed to resist or run?
Should the police officer just let you go because there might be a chance that you get hurt or killed?
That is what the criminal element wants.
I had a friend in college that was hauled away from a frat party, by the police, for being a dick.
When i went to get him the next morning, he had been beaten half to death. (he is white}
The cops said he fought them the whole time. I am sure he did.
My point is, no one should die during interaction with law enforcement. But when you resist arrest, you are taking a major risk of such consequences.

Reactions: Bill4411
Since I was a small child my parents taught me to do whatever a police officer ordered me to do.
If you aren't in conflict with the law, this shouldn't be a problem.
Why do these individuals continue to resist arrest and or run?
So, if you are pulled over by a cop, should you be allowed to resist or run?
Should the police officer just let you go because there might be a chance that you get hurt or killed?
That is what the criminal element wants.
I had a friend in college that was hauled away from a frat party, by the police, for being a dick.
When i went to get him the next morning, he had been beaten half to death. (he is white}
The cops said he fought them the whole time. I am sure he did.
My point is, no one should die during interaction with law enforcement. But when you resist arrest, you are taking a major risk of such consequences.
You don't think that cop overreacted just a tad bit?

I think you have it bassackwards

The message was a white cop shoots a black driver. The message further is that the American Flag is a symbol of oppression and racism. The message further is that racism is intstitutional and imbedded in law enforcement.

I agree that the cop's mug shot should have been used, but then we couldn't have the subtext of America being a racist country.

I think you have it bassackwards

The message was a white cop shoots a black driver. The message further is that the American Flag is a symbol of oppression and racism. The message further is that racism is intstitutional and imbedded in law enforcement.

I agree that the cop's mug shot should have been used, but then we couldn't have the subtext of America being a racist country.

Yeah, that was the message. I'm glad you got it when no one else did.

I'm sorry. You just cannot take it as a percentage of the total population. What is the rate by race per police-citizen interaction? Or as a percentage of violent offenders of different races? If one ethnic group has a higher percentage of males from 17-28, say, they will probably have a higher offender rate. I am pretty sure that different races have different rates of violent crime offenders. Even if not and if blacks are unfairly subject to more interactions, you have to account for a higher rate of interactions as a factor driving police on citizen violence rates.

Here is a factoid from the FBI:

Percentage of homicide offenders who are white 32.1
Percentage of homicide offenders who are black: 38.2

Thus, one would expect a higher rate of police interactions--potentially violent ones--with African-Americans.

I can't use percentages but you can? Ok. Anyways, you are far more likely to be killed by a police officer if you're black. And not just while being arrested for murder. You can be killed for selling cigarettes, not having a license plate, or for being 12 years old with a toy gun. They'll just jump out and blow your head off without the first warning. Then they'll choke slam your hysterical sister, but she was likely a violent black anyways.

Nah

I think my interpretation of the photo with the flag is much more subtle and accurate.

Goat is so yesterday with his subtle racism schtick. He needs to get with the current trends about what the American flag really means.

Wait, you think we think the flag is racist? No, the American flag is a symbol of purity, integrity, and freedom. The police uniform is a symbol of good, trustworthiness, and justice. They made sure the photo of the murdering white cop included both symbols while the murdered black guy was represented by a mug shot. Subtle racism.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT