ADVERTISEMENT

Heck of a game on ESPN. Iowa/LSU

Courtsensetwo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2004
Iowa up 3 early 3rd. Tremendous shooting all around

No drama yet from the drama queens.

Agree that there hasn't been much Drama Queens.... but the Iowa girls sure have been doing a lot of Whining and complaining.

I mean.... seriously I can't stand Clarke because of her Antics...... but she sure can shoot that ball.
You can't take that from her.

Agree that there hasn't been much Drama Queens.... but the Iowa girls sure have been doing a lot of Whining and complaining.

I mean.... seriously I can't stand Clarke because of her Antics...... but she sure can shoot that ball.
I and others have been very critical of Clark and rightfully so. She was fantastic tonight and handled herself with class. Hopefully for the Fever she is maturing emotionally.

Clarke is a future Fever player. I bet she makes them money.

Maybe in relative terms. But relatively nobody watches WNBA games. Can you name another player on the Fever? Did you even know the name of the team before all the Caitlin Clark current events?

Maybe in relative terms. But relatively nobody watches WNBA games. Can you name another player on the Fever? Did you even know the name of the team before all the Caitlin Clark current events?
I watched when Tamika Catchings was there. But you make a good point about current levels of interest. What Clarke might do is create some.

Guaranteed big deal for one season. After that she will have to perform and elevate her team.

That's just a dumb statement, especially since Grace Berger plays for the Fever. But Aaliyah Boston was the #1 overall pick last year

btw, no one watched the NBA before Bird-Magic either. I'm not a CC fan because of her body language and attitude on the court, but to suggest that she couldn't have an impact on the WNBA like Magic and Larry had on the NBA is pretty myopic, in my opinion.

• Haha
Reactions: bIhawk and zeke4ahs
The WNBA ratings are up quite a bit, but they’re still only pulling pretty small figures vs college ball.

The Vegas team sold out their season tickets. There is interest if the franchise is well run. The WNBA is will keep benefitting from the college players joining.

CC in Indy is awesome. Regardless of anyone’s opinion of her style, she will be a huge positive for the whole state.

Reactions: cmhawks99
If Diana Taurasi couldn't move the needle, I doubt Caitlin Clark will.

But, in general WNBA is slowly becoming more popular. Will remain a small niche for a long time though.

If Diana Taurasi couldn't move the needle, I doubt Caitlin Clark will.

But, in general WNBA is slowly becoming more popular. Will remain a small niche for a long time though.
When Taurasi graduated from college, the finals got HALF as many viewers as last year's finals. The college game, primarily, but also the WNBA, have grown considerably since then. Hell, the WNBA was only 7 years old when Taurasi started playing.

I'm not arguing the WNBA is on the verge of supplanting MLS as our 4th or 5th major professional sport, but I think Clark will have significant impact on the profile of the league...not to mention all of the other star players (Reese, Brink) that will be joining the league (most likely).

I doubt she will get them out of the red, but she will cut into the team deficit. I saw an article a few months back that the WNBA had their best year yet financially last season and the league lost $10 million overall. There is no threat for the league folding since they are subsidized by the NBA.

This was from the article:

WNBA is subsidized by the NBA. The NBA provides the WNBA with an annual endowment of over $15 million.

As of 2023, the NBA owns 50% of the WNBA, and the 12 WNBA teams own the other 50%.

Reactions: VanPastorMan
Yes Grace Berger and Aliyah Boston, first pick from SC last year. Fever attendance went way up this year due to the two rookies and will go up even more next year.

When Taurasi graduated from college, the finals got HALF as many viewers as last year's finals. The college game, primarily, but also the WNBA, have grown considerably since then. Hell, the WNBA was only 7 years old when Taurasi started playing.

I'm not arguing the WNBA is on the verge of supplanting MLS as our 4th or 5th major professional sport, but I think Clark will have significant impact on the profile of the league...not to mention all of the other star players (Reese, Brink) that will be joining the league (most likely).
I’ve just started following women’s ball in the last few years ( like so many others). I have no idea who Taurasi is. Caitlin Clark is more popular than any other college player now, in any sport I can think of, male or female, Numbers of people watching women’s college is breaking record every year. I think people will follow their favorite players to the WNBA. I think part of it is with the men now transferring, leaving early etc, and the women sticking to their one team for 4 years, for the most part, people are getting more attached to the personalities

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT