ADVERTISEMENT

Harbaugh - have some bal*s and hold a camp in Columbus, OH

I think it was a very good idea. I remember a few years ago reading a story about DiNardo spending $10,000+ to fly a recruit in by private jet from Louisiana. So now you hold a camp and get to meet all of the prospective recruits on their own turf - and guess what - it does not count as a visit. And what happen in this case? Michigan got a commitment from a highly-rated recruit.

Reactions: Tillman1
i am sure he will. looks like some of spots will change every year. first camp next year was already announce and it was virginia

SEC teams will be having them there and all around B1G country soon enough. Michigan opened a can of worms, along with Nebraska, etc. I think it is a mistake. SEC will draw more recruits from the north than the other way around.

SEC teams will be having them there and all around B1G country soon enough. Michigan opened a can of worms, along with Nebraska, etc. I think it is a mistake. SEC will draw more recruits from the north than the other way around.

The SEC cannot do that....they have restrictions on where they can hold camps. Something like a 50 or 75 mile radius around their school. Hence, Saban will be up in arms, as well as, every other SEC coach!! I think it is a great move. Saban has already called for a restriction to apply to ALL D-1 on camps

To piggyback on this post by Monday QB.

The SEC limit on camps extends to a boundary 50 miles from campus, This was put in place to protect SEC schools from each other, in other words, to keep Nick Saban out of setting up camps in Louisiana, Texas, Florida and Georgia. That was the intent behind the rule, nothing about camping north of the Mason-Dixon Line. If the restriction were lifted, Saban could set up a camp in suburban Detroit out of spite, but he'd be much better served by fishing in the deeper talent pools of New Orleans, Atlanta, and Dallas.

For those that want to preserve the old status quo, you are also looking to preserve the "haves and have nots" disparity in recruiting. What goes mainly unspoken about these camps is that it's not just Michigan coaches at these camps, but members of staffs from around the country. For the poor student who can't afford to travel to a camp hundreds of miles away (much less the cost of the camp), it's an opportunity to be seen by coaches at all levels of football. It's not just 4&5 star recruits who are attending, but plenty of 2&3 stars (even unrated kids), some of whom would love to continue to play football at some level and possibly have football help pay for the cost of education. For coaches at the MAC, SunBelt and FCS level football, they love the Harbaugh camps because it gives them hands on time with the kids and sets up opportunities to better target recruiting efforts for kids who won't sniff a look from the SEC OR Michigan.

By all accounts, the kids love the camps, love the instruction and most of all the opportunity to be seen. I'll be interested to see an effort by Saban or the SEC to legislate this concept away. I think such an effort will go down in spectacular flames.

For Michigan's own massive camp in Ann Arbor, there are coaches from....
University of Indianapolis
northwestern University
Ohio Univ,
Olivet Nazarene Univ
Alma College
John Carroll Univ
central Michigan
george Mason
Arkansas State
Manchester Univ
Ft. Lewis College
Ball State
Hope College
Sienna Heights Univ
John Hopkins
Kansas State
Eastern Michigan
Marian Univ (Indpls)
Tiffin Univ
South Carolina State
Dartmouth Univ.

So for the most critical of the concept here, I guess the return question is why isn't IU there in some capacity? For a camp being attended by 1,400 kids, there's not one unknown who might be a benefit to the IU roster?

to add to the post by dillonpgp;

There are exposure opportunities like no other with all of these coaches in attendance.

At the Ohio State Camp a few years back, a little known recruit in Indiana was doing drills against a big time OSU recruit from Ohio and he put the big timer on his butt a couple plays in a row. That effort drew offers that day from Louisville, Cincinnati, E Michigan, Bowling Green and Western Michigan. Funny thing, however, this recruit never got an offer from IU. I'm not sure where he eventually settled, I think Louisville?

At the Northwestern camp, virtually all of the Ivy's attend as well as, nearby MAC etc, because they are looking at the academic kids too...

ADVERTISEMENT